The Bin Thread
*puts baseball bat behind his back and steps away from the shop window*
Cras wrote:
*puts baseball bat behind his back and steps away from the shop window*

You can loot if you want to...
I salute the bin men and ladies of Wyre Bourough!

Collection today went perfectly. Not like the scouse layabouts who has to push back by a day. Bet they were hungover or whacked up on goof balls.
*sanitises hands*
Are the binmen doing an essential job? Does the "no more than.4 bags a week" rule still apply even though we're going to be here the whole time now?

The tip was shut yesterday anyway, so I'm definitely going to have to start burning my green waste (generally at least 2 full carloads a week to the tip, despite 5 cubic metres of compost bins, 2 leaf mulch bins, 3 chickens and a woodshed)
The binmen are absolutely essential. Especially as we won't be able to dump our own stuff
The health risk of leaving rotting garbage around would be significant, and best avoided I would have thought.

If we've got a load of people getting 'rona and many needing medical help, we wouldn't want people getting sick with other avoidable things and potentially increasing the load on the health service.
Yep, I have seen the essential posts list and the bin-men are on it. Hats off to them.

My favourite waste disposal based sketch.
Our council has removed all recycling collections for the foreseeable with the guidance that we should only bin recycling waste in general waste if “no other option exists”.

I’ve gently emailed the council to note that they subcontracted waste collection to a commercial party who, if they’re low on staff due to sickness, can probably find a fair number of people who they can employ as cover who are newly job seeking and qualified to “throw stuff in a lorry” and not give rise to another health risk. I’ve also noted that said third party can also furlough the sick employees under the new scheme to ensure neither they or their employees are left out of pocket. I’m not holding my breath.
Also, as I have not yet evolved the ability to macerate cardboard and plastics into a useful slurry suitable for basic construction materials, NO OTHER OPTION EXISTS.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Our council has removed all recycling collections for the foreseeable with the guidance that we should only bin recycling waste in general waste if “no other option exists”.

I’ve gently emailed the council to note that they subcontracted waste collection to a commercial party who, if they’re low on staff due to sickness, can probably find a fair number of people who they can employ as cover who are newly job seeking and qualified to “throw stuff in a lorry” and not give rise to another health risk. I’ve also noted that said third party can also furlough the sick employees under the new scheme to ensure neither they or their employees are left out of pocket. I’m not holding my breath.

Not just job seekers, anyone currently getting money from government to sit around watching Netflix ought to be available for any necessary work really.
markg wrote:
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:

Not just job seekers, anyone currently getting money from government to sit around watching Netflix ought to be available for any necessary work really.

"That was a party political broadcast by the tory party."

:)
MaliA wrote:
"That was a party political broadcast by the toryNazi party."

:)
I was half joking, obviously nobody should get dragged out of their homes. But I don't think it's entirely unreasonable that people getting paid could be asked to do jobs they might not normally. We've been told by management that we could be sent to do anything regardless of whether it's anything to do with what we signed on for. I guess it was just the "well someone else can just empty the bins" that irked me. Yeah, how about you if you're not busy?
I was half-joking too. :)
Manchester council also now not collecting the garden/food cycling bin and suggesting everything goes in the much smaller general waste bin. This is just not going to work as our general waste bin always gets full and there's also a lot of recyclable stuff in the big green bin. And with the tips closed we can't even take the stuff ourselves.
The announcer on Radio 3 has just given us an update on his local bin collections.

Giphy "end times":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/8quB9JlAtir19LTUm2/giphy-loop.mp4
General waste collection day today. My bin was full but luckily my neighbours had ample room for my extra bags.
My mother’s husband is a street sweeper. He works for Veolia.

Where he works (outer London, let’s say) there are a number of different crews. Street sweepers (that also empty high street bins, etc) the bin truck crews, large item collectors, etc.

Nobody has been issued any PPE, and of course they are all handling potentially hazardous waste. At the end of last week he got in to work and turned up to find all of the bin truck crew being sent home for the foreseeable and the street sweep crews are being trained up to work the bin trucks.

So, the only reason I can see got this is that as the bin truck crews are on a higher rate that the government will pick up the 80% of the higher rate from Veolia, whilst they continue to pay the lower rate to the schmucks who are now working the bin trucks they have been rushed in to fill. Social distancing? Well, they have to cram three in the little cab up front to get to the route, so none of that. Haven’t even been given gloves.

So assuming Veolia will try to do this across the UK (they are responsible for the vast majority of the UKs bin collections) they are using this to the advantage of paying lower wages to desperate people in awful conditions, and even if you’re not concerned about those people then your bin collection might end up messed up as nobody knows what they are doing.

I guess sensible advice is to wear dedicated rubber gloves when you retrieve bin and bleach & water the outside, then wash the gloves thoroughly outside, then hands when you take them off.
That's some pretty intensive training if they have to squeeze an LGV license in there.
Grim... wrote:
That's some pretty intensive training if they have to squeeze an LGV license in there.

Yeah, not all three of them are driving. The drivers are still drivers, the actual guys that handle the bins aren’t driving.
Zardoz wrote:
General waste collection day today. My bin was full but luckily my neighbours had ample room for my extra bags.

Is that something most people do then, or do you have an arrangement with them?
I believe it's technically fly tipping.
Still boggles my mind that Shropshire Council awarded a 27 year contract for refuse collection to Veolia.

TWENTY SEVEN YEARS.
Mimi wrote:
Haven’t even been given gloves.

Yuckkkk. Coronavirus situation aside, I would have thought that anyone handling waste should be given gloves to use.
Garden waste collection suspended in Wirral
The end times!
Mr Chonks wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I have an arrangement with them. They're still breathing.
Grim... wrote:

The flies get the scraps sure, and they seem happy with that.
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I have an arrangement with them. They're still breathing.

I just wait until midnight before I put my bins out. I have the pick of the street then for any overflow.
If I caught you doing that to me I’d empty the bags over your head
Grim... wrote:
But why though?

I just think it’s quite rude without asking. Like if next door asked me I wouldn’t mind as they have four people there.

Maybe it’s an irrational peeve.
Mr Chonks wrote:
Grim... wrote:
But why though?

I think he designed my local park.
Mr Chonks wrote:
If I caught you doing that to me I’d empty the bags over your head

Now there's a challenge if ever I heard one!
Today was a technical fly-tipper’s wet dream.
Zardoz wrote:
Today was a technical fly-tipper’s wet dream.

Samezies
I got the power washer on my bin today. Got it looking like new!

I did a few of the neighbours too... Happy days are here again!
Mr Chonks wrote:
Grim... wrote:
But why though?

I just think it’s quite rude without asking. Like if next door asked me I wouldn’t mind as they have four people there.

If it's early in the week, I'd be annoyed I think. But if it's bin day (Friday morning, bin fans) and the bin is already out on the nature strip I feel it's fair game and I don't mind if someone adds to it a little as long as there's no mess or overspill that I have to deal with.

Exciting bin news:
Our neighbours green waste bin got stuck in a tree after the bin lorry's lifty-tippy arm released it. Apparently it was very funny and the other bin lorry in the area came past so the drivers could all have a laugh. Truly this is entertainment these days :insincere:
TheVision wrote:
I got the power washer on my bin today. Got it looking like new!

I did a few of the neighbours too... Happy days are here again!

I hope they were all wearing their cossies at the time, but isn't power washing a bit extreme for the human body?
The reason I was up at 7am. The sound of these new bins being rumbled into place one by one.

Attachment:
IMG_20200605_080337.jpg

And inside each one is a weighted bag for cardboard. With the parcels I receive (when the website is open), I could fill the bag in one day, so hopefully I can ask for more.
Our garden waste disposal starts again on tuesday. I currently have enough garden waste to fill... hmm... 10 bins I reckon
DavPaz wrote:
Our garden waste disposal starts again on tuesday. I currently have enough garden waste to fill... hmm... 10 bins I reckon

Same
You'll be needing the cover of darkness to use the neighbours bins!
TheVision wrote:
You'll be needing the cover of darkness to use the neighbours bins!

My neighbour’s seen all my lawn detritus and already offered, which is nice. I was going to ask anyway. Not just shove it in when they’re not looking.
I'll have it, I need green waste for my compost bin.
Jem wrote:
I'll have it, I need green waste for my compost bin.

Free to collect
Page 7 of 13 [ 640 posts ]