Red Dead Redemption
New Rockstar game
Meanwhile, I'm waiting to see if it's as icky to control as GTA4 before I even consider buying it.
I want this game more than I can say, but I really can't afford at the moment. :(

Tried to talk my housemate into buying it but he says that although he wants it, he's too busy over the next couple of months to actually dedicate time to it. I wonder if I can find a way to afford it...

Feels damn stupid though buying an Eggs Box game when I don't have an Eggs Box, only my house-mate's to play it on. (Though I can hop on any time I like.)
Wil Wheaton does som voice stuff in it, so I might be able to swing MrsA into buying it for me.

After I finish Oblivion and Mass Effect, so about 2020, then.
Mr Dave wrote:
Meanwhile, I'm waiting to see if it's as icky to control as GTA4 before I even consider buying it.

The combat controls are similar to GTA IV, but far less clunky. Baddies are almost always downed in one or two shots, which is far more believable and satisfying.

You've also got the Dead Eye mechanic, which slows down time ala FEAR/Max Paine, but I hardly ever use it.
whats the input lag like
grumpysmurf wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

The combat controls are similar to GTA IV, but far less clunky. Baddies are almost always downed in one or two shots, which is far more believable and satisfying.

You've also got the Dead Eye mechanic, which slows down time ala FEAR/Max Paine, but I hardly ever use it.

Do you still have the crap "hammer a button to run" thing in it?
Will there be a 'Hot beans' easter egg in there, based on Brokeback Mountain?
I can't get this until after exam hell :(
Wogan'sTrouserBulge wrote:
I can't get this until after exam hell :(

Then watch your Xbox break. Again.
Dispatch email from Amazon!

Oh. It's for Desperate Housewives Season 4. Oh.
Craster wrote:

Ah, the old 'Red Head Redemption' mistake.

Craster wrote:
Dispatch email from Amazon!

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I'm bloody desperate for a dispatch email from Amazon. I ordered a telly on Sunday, it went to 'dispatching soon' this time yesterday, and hasn't changed since.

The last 8 emails I got were for BluRays ordered Monday, with 5 more outstanding. The eejits decided that despite me ordering 13 at once and asking for them to be group minimally, they'd jam each through the credit card separately, within a minute or two. Mohhhhhhh fraud triggers.

So anyway, I'm sure the next 5 I get will be the other BluRays when what I want is MY TV NOW YOU BASTARDS.

In summary: I feel your pain, but multiplied many-fold. And I'm not even bothered about Red Dead Redemption sitting there unposted.
my amazon order is despatched
LaceSensor wrote:
anyone got theirs yet?

Nope, but it's been dispatched from ShopTo, so should be here tomorrow. Or £3 and anger.
LaceSensor wrote:

A shame, as the PS3 version of GTA IV had some nice things going for it over the Xbox version, making it nicer to look at in some respects. Doesn't seem to be the case here though, so I guess I'll be plumping for the Xbox version.

I would say that it's a shame that it's not being released on the PC, but having played the horror that is the PC version of GTA IV, that's probably a good thing.
Im not really a GFX snob but those ps3 screens are obviously really blurry, and lacking the detail in places (shrubbery/grass) of the 360 version.

for me, its not even an issue. Even if the reverse were the case, and owning both consoles, Id still get the 360 for the LIVE stuff...
Malabar Front wrote:
LaceSensor wrote:
anyone got theirs yet?

Nope, but it's been dispatched from ShopTo, so should be here tomorrow. Or £3 and anger.

If amazon dont deliver tommorow, ill try to buy it locally, then get it refunded.
Really hyped to play this. Something about R* games...
My Hut order may or may not arrive tomorrow. Given how busy this weekend is - morning/afternoon/evening of both days booked solid - then it doesn't really matter if I get it tomorrow or Monday.
Ooh despatched from Tesco. Quite looking forward to this now.
Booooo at 'tap to sprint'. This game is gorgeous, and the acting is decent. Haven't done anything yet.
This game is incredible.
Hah, the treasure maps are interesting.

Malabar Front wrote:
Booooo at 'tap to sprint'.

Mmm, well, that settles it.
Mr Dave wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:

GTA controls? They can get to fucking fuck if they want £40 of my money.
TheVision wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:

GTA controls? They can get to fucking fuck if they want £40 of my money.

The controls are definitely the low point so far, but the rest is quite charming. It's certainly a lot more interesting than GTA so far, but I'm not too far in.
[quote="TheVision]GTA controls? They can get to fucking fuck if they want £40 of my money.[/quote]

TheVision and Blucey: United by Fate THIS.

That and the inevitable 'complete all hunting/outlaw/treasure hunt/ranchhand/poker' achvs that are bound to be in there. Gun was bad enough for that and that game was tiny and wee.
I like you Blucey! :luv:

It's a damn shame because it does look an interesting game and I do like my wild west shooters but I didn't get on with GTA so there's not much chance of me getting on with this.

And yes.. I believe people call them grind achievements?
We need to get Dimrill back. He seems to be enjoying it on Twitter.
The controls are significantly nicer than GTA4 in terms of input lag, and you dont need to mash the buttons to sprint at all.
LaceSensor wrote:
The controls are significantly nicer than GTA4 in terms of input lag, and you dont need to mash the buttons to sprint at all.

The sprint hammering actually doesn't seem to do a lot; holding A generally seems to be fine. The difference between walking and running is a little too great, mind. Aside from that, the controls seem pretty responsive and far better than GTA IV.
LaceSensor wrote:

Hahaha that's fucking sick. I love it :DD
I find on the horsie a intermittent "spur along" of the sprint button is enough to get by.

Also, when you really need to get about on foot, drawing a weapon increases the walk to a trot, so thats often sufficient.
I havent really need to race away from people on foot like times in GTA series yet
I'm working on 'er indoors to see if I can get this game this month. I'm getting a bit excited for it!
Gotta say as much as it pains me to that I am going to miss this game. Usually consoles hold absolutely no interest for me whatsoever, but I love the wild west. I suppose it's the little boy in me :)

Sadly I don't think I would buy it even if it was released on PC..

Ah well, roll on August and Mafia II :)
Played a little in my lunch break and I'm liking what little I've played so far. Yeah, it does have the GTA controls but they seem far, far, far better than they were in GTA IV. The whole game seems pretty awesome so far, it's about time we actually had a decent Wild West game out.
I have an Argos reservation I'm considering. Someone either talk me in to or out of it, please. I disliked GTA4's controls (but the lag, rather than the layout) and found it simply a bit dull. I drifted away shortly after reaching the second island and never went back.
I didn't really have a problem with the GTA IV controls although it has been ages since I played it...I raced through it in the week it was released and then never went back once it was finished (to Gilly standards, not Dimrill standards I hasten to add).
So if the controls are the sticking point about this game, I am a happy Gilly. Or I will be if I get it. What other good releases have we got to look forward to over the summer?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I have an Argos reservation I'm considering. Someone either talk me in to or out of it, please. I disliked GTA4's controls (but the lag, rather than the layout) and found it simply a bit dull. I drifted away shortly after reaching the second island and never went back.

I didn't like GTA IV either. I managed to soldier on till the last island before selling the 360 way back when, but I was playing largely out of love for the games that came before it. I did re-purchase it for PS3 and never made it off the first island. It's just... dull.

This seems very different. Obviously it's the same engine as GTA IV, but it's far from just a reskin. The controls seem much better than GTA's (the only shootin' I've got as far as doing was killing the rabbits and coyotes on horseback at the MacFarlane ranch, so right at the very start of the game then), but the controls seem great. The dead-eye mechanism works brilliantly. It did take me a little while to get my head around the horse controls too, but they seem pretty good also.

I guess, in summary, it's like this: GTA IV had a great engine in terms of creating a believable world, but the world it created was dull and mundane and the whole shebang was let down by ropey controls. This has the same engine, but now put to use recreating the Old West, with cowboys and wilderness and bandits and stuff, where the controls have been honed and hugely improved. Does that sound like something you might like, stranger?
Oops!

I ran into a civilian in trouble on my travels. There were guys shooting at him, so I quickly dealt with all but one, noticing a special marker on the minimap for the one left. I assumed, without looking properly, it was the guy I'd picked up a Wanted poster about. Whipping out my lasso, I spin it around my head, throw it around his neck, and hogtie him. I throw him onto the back of my horse and head towards town to claim my money. Except I couldn't see where to turn him in.

Bored and frustrated a little, I cut the man loose, and shoot him in the back of the head. As his lifeless corpse tumbles to the floor, I notice the Sheriff badge on his front.
First Achio's a bit easy. What I do.
Both Bully and GTA4 had the hammer button to sprint, and I disliked it in both. However, I really hated having to do it in GTA4 multiplayer.

I'd be much more interested were it not for this, I'm betting a Dimrill will pursuade me soon enough though.
Also forcing you horse over cliffs you can walk down causes horsie death.
Well my Zavvi pre-order despite being posted on Tuesday has not made it here yet (work) so it will be Monday before i can pick this up now.
Zio's testimony has swayed me towards "DO IIIIT. DO IIIIIIT NOOOOWWWWW."
Yeah. That and your magpie personality.
Because it's a Rockstar GTH type game I know I'll pick it up down the line for £10.

Still got loads of other stuff to play until then.
Page 3 of 10 [ 490 posts ]