ISPs Ergh
So I'm thinking of changing my internets peoples.
I am ..well was..with Pipex and ofc they got owned by the dreaded Tiscali.

Trouble is I have no idea who to try now. BT can go to hell..in fact I told them that already a few years back. I want as reliable as poss, fast as possible and cheap as possible. And I dislike this capping..on principle.
I do download a fair bit and I am a PC gamer..atm I'm on a crappy 2 mb, which while ok is not as fast as I'd like.
This is not helped by the fact I regularly use Sheepeh's insanely fast internets.

So, any recommendations?
Shewolf wrote:
So I'm thinking of changing my internets peoples.
I am ..well was..with Pipex and ofc they got owned by the dreaded Tiscali.

Trouble is I have no idea who to try now. BT can go to hell..in fact I told them that already a few years back. I want as reliable as poss, fast as possible and cheap as possible. And I dislike this capping..on principle.
I do download a fair bit and I am a PC gamer..atm I'm on a crappy 2 mb, which while ok is not as fast as I'd like.
This is not helped by the fact I regularly use Sheepeh's insanely fast internets.

So, any recommendations?

Sky are very good, and bargainous if you already have Sky tv. Uh - you need a BT line though, same as pretty much everyone.
I've heard about sky, though I'm not sure how long I'll have sky TV. It's a rip off and we are thinking about doing away with it for another option.
O2 or Be - the former if you're an O2 customers gets you discounted rates, the latter gets you a less restrictive contract. The order process with O2 particularly was awesome - emails and texts at every step, and everything happened quickly and when they said it would.

I know, O2. Whouldathunkit?

As Be are a data-LLU provider, you continue to pay BT for line rental and calls, but the ADSL gets punted to Be's network which is, to all intents and purposes, empty.
They're all rip-offs. Don't get Virgin.
Ripoff? I got free (promotional) migration, free router (gone back to my Netgear), and "up to" 20meg (syncing at 21.something) for £15/mo. The fair usage policy is admitted up front, and effectively "don't be a cunt all the time, m'kay?" No throttling or shaping is mentioned in the T&Cs, or apparent in use (1.6MB/sec in 2 torrents).

Essentially the same is available directly from Be for £18/mo without the 12 month contract.
Sky is expensive for what it is imo..

I looked into Be as I have heard them recommended ebfore..sadly it is not available in my area. Grrr Image
By "All", Bik, I mean the "multiinterbroadbanddownloadyoutubemedia - everything you need!" companies like Sky and Virgin Media, it wasn't in reply to your own post about a couple of perhaps good ISPs.
@Shewolf: Balls.

Still, with O2 having bought them and apparently pushing it quite hard, the rollout might pick up. Does samknows.com list a date for your exchange?
Balls? Well maybe I cannot afford such stupid prices that we seem to get charged.
I'd rather you didn't point derogative words at me for that.

Back to ISPs.
I think he may have being saying "Balls" as in "Oh, rats! That's unfortunate!" rather than anything else.
I'm with nildram, who are/were very good, but are now pipex, then tiscali who your already with. At the moment, everything is still good, apart for mail services , which are now flakey.

it seems there's no room for the quality small guy any more :(
I know Bik and I'm positively 100% certain that's what he meant. Especially since he then went on to make a good point that you need to reply to. *coughs politely*.
Possibly because 1 I was a little unsure, and 2 I didn't fully understand the rest of the reply and was looking it up Image
Ok, I found that more confusing than I should have.
Thanks for the link Bik...it took a while because I had a random brain fart in the middle of that and forgot where I lived (probably wishful thinking on my brains part there).
Apparently I have very little available to me in my area..nothing new there Image

Arse.

Edit: Apparently the ISP I currently use is not available in my area.... Image
Try emailing Be just to confirm. The online postcode thingy is often wrong.
I wouldn't go with Virgin again. Ever. Worst ISP I've ever been with.
Er, yes, "Balls, that's unfortunate that Be aren't in your exchange (providing your internets)" rather than "Balls, whatever your mistook my meaning to be". Oops.
Craster wrote:

Sky are very good, and bargainous if you already have Sky tv. Uh - you need a BT line though, same as pretty much everyone.

Sky do line rental now.
BikNorton wrote:
Er, yes, "Balls, that's unfortunate that Be aren't in your exchange (providing your internets)" rather than "Balls, whatever your mistook my meaning to be". Oops.

Balls.
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]