Ennui - the shaking of
How?
'Red Light Green Light' by The Wildhearts works for me. Sometimes.
A near death experience.
By playing "on Wii".
A kick in the balls. A good wank. A subway. All three simultaneously.
Brisk walk.

Or doing something different (new way home; new activity; even just a drink in a different pub might help).

Giving advice to people happier than you are.
Go for a run. Endorphins are the bestest.
But 'The Shaking Of' isn't coming out on Wii.

That was a very clever joke that I have just made up and haven't read elsewhere and blatantly thieved or anything.
I have a feeling that being in work and not doing a lot is a large part of it.
Going for a Tom Tit (on work time, natch).
MaliA wrote:
I have a feeling that being in work and not doing a lot is a large part of it.

I have this problem - my job is very feast-or-famine in terms of there being anything to do. If you spend a day at work and achieve nothing, it somehow saps you of all your drive to do anything at home.

One thing that does work nicely is reverse telecommuting - each morning, e-mail yourself a list of non-work tasks which you can do at work (calling electricians, pricing up kitchens, etc). This is a WIN in several categories a) you look impressively busy b) you go home feeling like you've achieved something, even if there was no work to do c) you've already done half the home tasks you previously lacked the energy to do after work, so you can play Mario Kart.

Alternatively, change job and get out of your comfort zone. If I were a braver man, I'd move job each time I felt I'd hit my comfort zone. I might do it yet, in future.

EDIT: A hard bike ride in the rain while listening to the track You Could Have It So Much Better by Franz Ferdinand works well too. Excercise and rain/wind make you feel alive, and that song just shouts at my apathetic core - "I'm just the voice in your earpiece, telling you no, it's not alright. You could have it so much better, if you just get up, get up, get up, &c". Good stuff.
Tmuk wrote:

Aha! To the poop-o-tron!

:( >:| :nerd: 8) >:( :o
We need an "explosive relief" smilie.

And that's probably another cleaner quitting.
BikNorton wrote:
Tmuk wrote:

Aha! To the poop-o-tron!

:( >:| :nerd: 8) >:( :o

It's the ultimate. Just sitting there on the throne mid-poop, thinking 'this must be what smack is like' while everyone else is busy working.
Oh yes, I regularly enjoy being paid to poop, but had been feeling that something was missing from my day - this thread has resolved that, with nary 45 minutes before hometime.
I found resigning a splendid way of cheering myself up...thinking about the further 8 days I have to come into the office though then depresses me.

Ho hum ?:|
Going out and having some beers last night didn't do too much good.
I have been given a bizarre kind of 'trial promotion' thing at work, whereby we're creating a new department of which I am the sole member, for a few months. If our evil overlords approve of this new department, I stay and allegedly get a payrise.

At the moment though, there is very, very little for me to do whilst everything is being set up. It's a bit rubbish to be honest, I keep thinking about how nice it would be to just go back to my old position. I've never been paid so much to be so bored.
Tmuk wrote:

Best thing ever. Performing a necessary body function, whilst racking up some clocked-in time is one of the truly great things in life.
jonarob wrote:
Tmuk wrote:

Best thing ever. Performing a necessary body function, whilst racking up some clocked-in time is one of the truly great things in life.

Wish I could find a link to that brilliant Viz advert selling ultra-course toilet paper to employers who want to stop their staff crapping on company time.
I think my employer bought all the stock anyway.
Zio wrote:
I have been given a bizarre kind of 'trial promotion' thing at work, whereby we're creating a new department of which I am the sole member, for a few months. If our evil overlords approve of this new department, I stay and allegedly get a payrise.

At the moment though, there is very, very little for me to do whilst everything is being set up. It's a bit rubbish to be honest, I keep thinking about how nice it would be to just go back to my old position. I've never been paid so much to be so bored.

I read that this sequestering practice is used particularly in Japanese businesses, when they want to make an employee either resign or commit suicide through depression- whichever gets them to leave soonest. 8)
Tmuk wrote:
jonarob wrote:
Tmuk wrote:

Wish I could find a link to that brilliant Viz advert selling ultra-course toilet paper to employers who want to stop their staff crapping on company time.

So, you all like to relieve boredom whilst doing a poo at work?

Okaaayyyyy ?:|

When I was a bit down a few months ago people were really lovely and supportive and sent me things to cheer me up, such as links to The Egg Song and Loco Roco Karaoke, but one of the best things that people suggested was to go and feed some ducks. If you have a little pond or canal near you, it might just cheer you up, and so might help just shift the boredom. :)
Mimi wrote:
So, you all like to relieve boredom whilst doing a poo at work?

one of the best things that people suggested was to go and feed some ducks. If you have a little pond or canal near you, it might just cheer you up, and so might help just shift the boredom. :)

I find feeding ducks in public while doing a poo is frowned on.
:DD

Trousers you brilliant person!
Tmuk wrote:
:DD

Trousers you brilliant person!

I remembered it was called Badger's Arse and a google image search has about 50 on the first page. Plus Pierluigi Collina amusingly.
AceAceBaby wrote:
Zio wrote:

I read that this sequestering practice is used particularly in Japanese businesses, when they want to make an employee either resign or commit suicide through depression- whichever gets them to leave soonest. 8)

...and in this country (if such is the aim, which hopefully it's not in Vanilla Ace's case*) it's called constructive dismissal and illegal.

* Or maybe hopefully? Go-go-gadget-easy-win-at-tribunal!
[quote="Mimi"]So, you all like to relieve boredom whilst doing a poo at work?

Okaaayyyyy ?:|

Stick a DS in your pocket before you go, and you're laughing.
*Plop*
tehehehe!
Page 1 of 1 [ 31 posts ]