The Movie topic
...as there is none
He totally changed time, dude.
I was making an "Uluru" joke, screwed up the image link, then decided it wasn't worth it and gave up. It's the thought that counts though.
Mr Chris wrote:
markg wrote:
I normally like war stuff but we started watching that and it just didn't grab me at all. Also it has the worst opening credits of anything ever.

You are so made of Wrong you could, in fact, be me.

Band of Brothers is nothing short of superb.

So much so, I still have kern's copy.
kalmar wrote:
I was making an "Uluru" joke

I think your definitions are broken.
At least I know wrong from right.
God I want to see the star trek movie so bad.
grumpysmurf wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Taken has 8, and in all seriousness, is one of the worst movies i've ever seen.

It works as a comedy..

Maybe. But for a "super-dad saves annoying child" movie i have Commando. Shit, the girl in Taken was the most annoying character I've ever seen. If she died while being gangbanged i would be much happier
MaliA wrote:
Band of Brothers is nothing short of superb.

:this: x 1944

Quote:
So much so, I still have kern's copy.

I must come over someday and monopolise your super-telly with it.
kalmar wrote:
At least I know wrong from right.

As with the looking cool/looking like a dick spectrum, the right/wrong continuum is circular and meets up at the back.
Dead Man Walking (1988) - Shockingly bad b-movie post apocalyptica. Some president's daughter gets kidnapped and his nerdy chauffeur hires action bloke to get her back from Leon from Blade Runner (Brion James). A painful experience to watch with a lot of scenes that make no sense and go on way too long. Though strangely the acting is slightly above average for this sort of thing. It wouldn't ever be a good idea to watch this unless you really are a film masochist. I pretty much am and I could barely take it.

Harry Potter And The Pensioner of Kazakhstan
(Subs please check) - Still the best harry potter story and still the best film. It's unusual that it doesn't have a bit bad guy finale which I think all of the rest have. It has a perilous situation but no immediate danger to Harry and Co. It looked brilliant in HD as well, really brought out the detail.

Star Trek (2009) - Very good and exciting but I didn't really care for the rapid editing, excessive camera movement, excessive close up faces and the making things whizz past the camera really close. Also Simon Pegg just didn't feel right and Karl Urban trying desperately to be Deforest Kelly didn't really work for me either. I couldn't quite shake the feeling that it was just a cynical money making excersize. I also can't help thinking everyone's just a bit too excited about it in an emporer's new clothes kind of way. It was jolly good fun but it wasn't quite there for me. The new Uhura had an astonishing screen presence though despite her relatively minor role. I think some of the trouble with the film was them trying to straddle some middle ground between being something new and being a tribute to trek of old. I'm in the minority here of course but clearly I'M THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN SEE THE TRUTH.

Mad Max 2 - Watching in HD for the first time made little difference. I noticed some of the rocks looked more detailed but that's about it. It's not exactly a film with spectacular sets or breathtaking cinematography. It is a brilliant film, obviously. The night scenes looked really grainy, could have used some kind of clean up on them. It's really interesting how the way the film works is pretty realistic though. The way people act seems very much plausible.

Coraline (3D) - Superb stuff. Though the 3D didn't really add much for me. I was perhaps a bit too close for maximum effect and the screen seemed to have ghosting downwards by about half a screen. So it could have been a bit of a dodgy setup. It did feel just a touch too long but it didn't stop it being one of the best things I've seen at the cinema in quite some time (if I don't count Crank 2). It's clearly a loving creation and has taken huge effort, which has paid off if you ask me. It's not a kids film though really. It's a childlike adult dark fantasy film or something. But what do you expect from Gaiman? Superb voice acting, particularly from Dakota Fanning. It's just absolutely wonderful. Don't miss it.
Nirejhenge wrote:
Simon Pegg just didn't feel right and Karl Urban trying desperately to be Deforest Kelly didn't really work for me either.

Just so we're clear, you're wrong.
Most people usually say that but you see I'm the only one who sees the Emporer is naked so there.

Also that being transported into the water system was totally stupid crap.
I don't know what to think... Deadpool has been green lit.
Nirejhenge wrote:
Coraline (3D) - Superb stuff.

I loved it, apart from the new character introduced in the movie who wasn't in the book. He's been bothering me slightly. None of the other changes bothered me, but I didn't like that.
Having not read the book that didn't bother me. As a film in its own right it worked just fine. Apart from being slightly too long.
Nirejhenge wrote:
Most people usually say that but you see I'm the only one who sees the Emporer is naked so there.

Also that being transported into the water system was totally stupid crap.

but but... it was like trying to hit a bullet with a smaller bullet while blindfolded....
With the bullet missing pinging off a bucket which falls over making the floor slippy thus someone comes on and falls over and everyone laughs.
MaliA wrote:
I've just come back from watching Coraline. In 3D.

It was most enjoyable, and a proper child scaring fairytale.

I recommend it.

I really want to see this, but nobody seems interested in going with me :( Maybe I shall brave it and go alone (on a weekday when pesky school children are at school)
Mimi wrote:
MaliA wrote:
I've just come back from watching Coraline. In 3D.

It was most enjoyable, and a proper child scaring fairytale.

I recommend it.

I really want to see this, but nobody seems interested in going with me :( Maybe I shall brave it and go alone (on a weekday when pesky school children are at school)

It's lovely. And going alone to the cinema is fine, as it's not like you talk to people in there, is it?
Nirejhenge wrote:

That would certainly put me off the Star Wars films.
Craster wrote:
Nirejhenge wrote:
Simon Pegg just didn't feel right and Karl Urban trying desperately to be Deforest Kelly didn't really work for me either.

Just so we're clear, you're wrong.

I agree with him about Simon Pegg - he was very good, but I could only see Simon Pegg trying to "be" Scotty. But Karl Urban was fucking superb man.
But the thing is were these performances good in their own right or was it just because they conjour up nostalgia for the older series? It's hard to look at them without having that prior knowledge interfering.
I suppose you could say that with most prequals.

I was not a big fan of the original, but did like the film..
I saw 'Cthulu' this week. I was put off by the idea of Torri what's her tits being in it but luckily she only has a marginal role in the film. Interesting film and a rather splendid version of 'Shadow over Innsmouth' which is a difficult story to adapt as it's mainly the protaganist being told things. Thinking about it, it's probably the most successful Lovecraft adaptation I've seen (including the late 60's Dean Stockwell vehicle 'The Dunwich Horror') it has just the right feeling of 'otherness' without going overboard and becoming silly and captures the spirit of the story.
Morte wrote:
Thinking about it, it's probably the most successful Lovecraft adaptation I've seen (including the late 60's Dean Stockwell vehicle 'The Dunwich Horror') it has just the right feeling of 'otherness' without going overboard and becoming silly and captures the spirit of the story.

Have you seen In The Mouth Of Madness? It's a Lovecraft story in all but name and does an excellent job of capturing the atmosphere of weird, otherworldly menace with monsters you never at any point get a decent look at.

It's also the last time that John Carpenter was Any Good.
Morte wrote:
I saw 'Cthulu' this week. I was put off by the idea of Torri what's her tits being in it but luckily she only has a marginal role in the film. Interesting film and a rather splendid version of 'Shadow over Innsmouth' which is a difficult story to adapt as it's mainly the protaganist being told things. Thinking about it, it's probably the most successful Lovecraft adaptation I've seen (including the late 60's Dean Stockwell vehicle 'The Dunwich Horror') it has just the right feeling of 'otherness' without going overboard and becoming silly and captures the spirit of the story.

the silent movie "call of cthulu" was excellent. I also saw one spanish "Shadow over Innsmouth" version called "Dagon". It was watchable, altough my expectations were very low.
The trailer for the new Terminator film looke quite good..
Rodafowa wrote:
Morte wrote:
Thinking about it, it's probably the most successful Lovecraft adaptation I've seen (including the late 60's Dean Stockwell vehicle 'The Dunwich Horror') it has just the right feeling of 'otherness' without going overboard and becoming silly and captures the spirit of the story.

Have you seen In The Mouth Of Madness? It's a Lovecraft story in all but name and does an excellent job of capturing the atmosphere of weird, otherworldly menace with monsters you never at any point get a decent look at.

It's also the last time that John Carpenter was Any Good.

I remember Mouth of Madness being good but it's been sometime since I saw it...to the downloadatron!
RuySan wrote:
Morte wrote:

the silent movie "call of cthulu" was excellent. I also saw one spanish "Shadow over Innsmouth" version called "Dagon". It was watchable, altough my expectations were very low.

Yep, the HPLS "Call of Cthulu" is an exceptional piece of work seeing they made it for tuppence and is probably the best literal adaptation of the source material (if indeed the only one). I've heard of Dagon but never seen it....to the downloadatron!
In the Mouth of Madness was absolutely brill. Front Line Assembly sample it on the track Mortal on the album Hard Wired.
You know, V for Vendetta is actually a really good film. Third viewing now, present one on London to Stroud train.
Just watched "Very Bad Things", a late-90's film that I'd heard of but never seen.

Has a good ensemble cast including Christian Slater, Cameron Diaz, Jeremy Piven & Jon Favreau.

Starts off like a fairly normal thriller/drama but gradually descends into a very amusing & some-what bad-taste black comedy.

Don't want to delve into the plot as it's far more fun if you go into it not knowing what to expect (was for me anyway).

Slater is on top form and steals the film, though everyone else is good too.

Very enjoyable all-in-all. 8/10
Mr Chris wrote:
You know, V for Vendetta is actually a really good film. Third viewing now, present one on London to Stroud train.

I keep mean to buy teh graphic novel of this.
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:

I keep mean to buy teh graphic novel of this.

I would if I could find the black and white version. The colour one is so terribly poorly inked that it's a hideous mess. Someone should just entirely redraw the whole thing.
BertyBasset wrote:
Just watched "Very Bad Things", a late-90's film that I'd heard of but never seen.

Has a good ensemble cast including Christian Slater, Cameron Diaz, Jeremy Piven & Jon Favreau.

Starts off like a fairly normal thriller/drama but gradually descends into a very amusing & some-what bad-taste black comedy.

Don't want to delve into the plot as it's far more fun if you go into it not knowing what to expect (was for me anyway).

Slater is on top form and steals the film, though everyone else is good too.

Very enjoyable all-in-all. 8/10

I remember really liking this, having no expectations whatsoever.
Ooo, this looks splendid, 'The Road' based on the book of the same name with old Aragorn as the lead. I love me post apocalypse films almost as much as Zombies, A Boy and a Dog being a particular favourite.

http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/13468 ... ardformat/
Ooooh, that does look good.

In a similar "post apocolyptia" vein, what was that film where Scotland goes squinky and all Mad Max and gets walled off?
Mr Chris wrote:

In a similar "post apocolyptia" vein, what was that film where Scotland goes squinky and all Mad Max and gets walled off?

Dude, that was the news.
Mr Chris wrote:

Doomsday...splendid, silly fun...or a documentary, not sure.
I saw the movie 'Jumper' this evening. Not as bad as I was expecting, mostly due to an entertaining turn from Jamie Bell, and Rachel Bilson being cute.
But still bad, right? I found it dull as shit. Nothing happened.
Ooh, Sir Terry Gilliam is trying to startup filming The Man Who Shot Don Quixote again. Bloody hell, it's been nine years since filming stopped on that. Nine years?! Where the hell has all that time gone?
Grim... wrote:
But still bad, right? I found it dull as shit. Nothing happened.

Yeah, at the end I was like, "Ummm... and that's it?"

I think they were saving the plot for the sequel.

The action scenes were pretty nifty though.

I'd recommend it highly to people who like flashy effects driven movies with no plot. Like fans of 'Transformers'.

;)
I watched 7 Pounds starring Will Smith last night and it was very good. Considerably better than "In Pursuit of Happyness" which was a big pile of gay.
Frost/Nixon is my current recommendation. Michael Sheen acts his socks off as Frost but is still knocked into a cocked hat by the towering performance of Frank Langella as Nixon.
Watched Goodfellas, never did it before. Excellent, it seems as if the sopranos producers wanted to avoid casting costs and hired as many as they could from this one.
Curiosity wrote:
The action scenes were pretty nifty though.

Yeah, all three of them.
Watched The Rookie followed by Death Wish II last night. Man, the eighties were awesome.
Craster wrote:
Watched The Rookie followed by Death Wish II last night. Man, the eighties were awesome.

/
Yes citizen, they certainly were.
sinister agent wrote:
Tell No One.

Utterly brilliant French mystery thriller about a doctor who is attacked and left unconscious while a serial killer murderds his wife. Eight years later, two more bodies are found in the same area, the case is re-opened, and the doctor comes under suspicion. Then he gets an email from someone who knows something only his wife should know.

I don't want to tell any more than that, but it is one of the best films I've seen for years. Well written, brilliantly acted, great, plausible, unpredictable but sensible plot that unravels perfectly, and even the music and editing and mis en scene are great. Best of all, everyone in it is intelligent. People succeed or fail and things happen because of intelligent, reasonable thinking and behaviour, not because everyone else is just a fucking idiot, like in 99.9% of other films.

Couldn't recommend it more, frankly.

I have acquired this. I will watch this. It better be good, chap.
Page 2 of 422 [ 21087 posts ]