The Movie topic
...as there is none
Inbred - a similar type of film to Hostel, but even more stupid. (I know right?!) Eee by gum.

The Killer next door - interesting as is reading about it on the internet afterwards.

Square one - about the MJ accusations. A pretty interesting look at the info not shared in the original documentary.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Square one - about the MJ accusations.

All the dunks were faked!
Child's play 2019. A slightly different iteration of the series, but an enjoyable Friday evening film, I felt quite sorry for the doll at times. It felt like a textbook example of how children learn.

Goodnight Sugar Babe Not for those easily offended, but interesting from a psychological perspective when looking at the family. Terrible how the victim was let down by the system too.

Head cases: serial killers in the Delaware valley. I hadn't realised this was a series a f films, and it's very clever how it's done. I'm not usually an advocate of films being a reason for someone committing a crime, but this did feel like it gloried it somewhat. Especially when all of the family seemed to want to join in. :-/
The meanest man in Texas. I nearly turned this off as I was getting bored, it picked up though and I'm glad I stuck with it because it was interesting. It's not going to blow anyone's socks off, but an interesting price on the different approaches used in prisons through the years and what works/ doesn't work.
A friend of mine posted this and I wondered if anyone here had any ideas?
Mimi wrote:
A friend of mine posted this and I wondered if anyone here had any ideas?

Not quite this, but maybe Flatliners? The 1990 version, not the 2017 reboot.
No, but that was my guess too, as it happens. Turns out someone got it just after I posted here. It’s called ‘Until The End Of The World’ and the song was by U2, rather than REM, but partially right.
Ah, okay, not heard of that
Cras wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
I can tell this is going to be utterly without merit.

You're watching a film where Daniel Radcliffe has guns glued to his hands. It shouldn't take seven minutes.

Guns Akimbo is amazing. Well worth 97 minutes of anyone's time.
I watched The Gentlemen, absolutely loved it, by far Hugh Grant's best film, absolutely stole the show,

Not sure anyone put a foot wrong to be honest, slight layer cake vibes to it, but that's no bad thing.
Malc wrote:
I watched The Gentlemen, absolutely loved it, by far Hugh Grant's best film, absolutely stole the show,

Not sure anyone put a foot wrong to be honest, slight layer cake vibes to it, but that's no bad thing.

Yeah that was basically how I summed it up.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... n#p1048384

Watched Guy Ritchie's latest film THE GENTLEMEN last night, which was excellent.

Amusingly and endlessly profane, smart and snappy, darkly comic, a wonderfully slimy Hugh Grant clearly having a whale of a time, and indeed a mighty fine cast all around. (Matthew McConaughey, Colin Farrell, Charlie Hunnam (Sons of Anarchy), Jeremy Strong, Eddie Marsan.) He even managed to put in something for a woman to do. Very modern.

Nothing to criticise with this one really, two hours of top drawer entertainment, just don't expect an intellectually challenging time.

880/1000
Grim... wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

I've only just seen this. :P

Our Friday night film was Hubies Halloween. A Sen Stiller film and not the sort of thing that I find amusing, but as we are both exhausted by a Friday evening, it was pitched perfectly to not have to think.

Dahmer. This was okay, but I think it could be difficult for someone who didn't know the case to learn much from it. The time line was all over the place and it didn't cover a lot of key stuff at all. Jeremy Renner played him well though.

Monster - First time I have seen this and knowing a bit about Aileen Wournos' background, I have always felt bad for her. Not that murder is the answer obviously, but let down by her family, society and the system. The character Shelby played by Christina Ricci was annoying. Glad I watched it - but it didn't tell you much about Aileen, just focused on the murders.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:

I've only just seen this. :P

Our Friday night film was Hubies Halloween. A Sen Stiller film and not the sort of thing that I find amusing, but as we are both exhausted by a Friday evening, it was pitched perfectly to not have to think.

Dahmer. This was okay, but I think it could be difficult for someone who didn't know the case to learn much from it. The time line was all over the place and it didn't cover a lot of key stuff at all. Jeremy Renner played him well though.

Monster - First time I have seen this and knowing a bit about Aileen Wournos' background, I have always felt bad for her. Not that murder is the answer obviously, but let down by her family, society and the system. The character Shelby played by Christina Ricci was annoying. Glad I watched it - but it didn't tell you much about Aileen, just focused on the murders.

I feel like I'm chasing you round the boards correcting you on what we've watched. Hubie's Halloween was an Adam Sandler film, "Sen" Stiller was in it for about 10 seconds. :p

I'll have to assume the other two are correct.
They seem like the same person. :P
Borat 2: I though it was very good. Laughed out loud many times, but very hard to watch in places.
MaliA wrote:
Borat 2: I though it was very good. Laughed out loud many times, but very hard to watch in places.

I have never seen Borat... i might have to remedy that.
MaliA wrote:

Yeah, much the same.
Borat 2: Excellent, funny and touching too. I found the scenes with the lovely babysitter and the impossibly nice Jewish ladies quite life-affirming.

Best bit was scene in the "women's health" place and the one right afterwards.
Snowpiercer: I imagine the train was much bigger in the book. Gets a thumbs up just because John Hurt is in it.
The Country song in Borat 2 was alarmingly catchy. I watched it on Friday and I still find myself humming "chop them up like the Saudi's do".
Me and Mrs Hearthly watched the new Borat film last night. Many good laughs in there but the 'father and daughter dance' section had us both pissing ourselves.
I tried watching the original Borat last week, as well as the first few minutes of Borat 2 yesterday.

I don't know what's changed with me, but I had to turn them both off within minutes as I just didn't find it funny at all.
GazChap wrote:
I tried watching the original Borat last week, as well as the first few minutes of Borat 2 yesterday.

I don't know what's changed with me, but I had to turn them both off within minutes as I just didn't find it funny at all.

I’ve gone right off “edgy” comedy too.
It is half term and so I am currently watching The Grinch.
Zardoz wrote:
Snowpiercer: I imagine the train was much bigger in the book. Gets a thumbs up just because John Hurt is in it.

We're almost done with the show and it's been really enjoyable. unfortunately they are driving what I assume is a main plot, rather than going for more of a "tales from the snowpiercer" which it's almost begging for.

Not sure about going and watching the film after...
GazChap wrote:

I think that is where I am at.
Get out of their house.
Dark Waters was added to Amazon Prime today (no subtitles though, which is poor for a film released just last year) and so I watched it earlier. The summary alone should be enough to tell you whether it might be your thing or not:

"A corporate defense attorney takes on an environmental lawsuit against a chemical company that exposes a lengthy history of pollution".

I loved it, personally. Mark Ruffalo and Anne Hathaway are great. Could have perhaps been trimmed down to under two hours, particularly if they'd trimmed down the amount of time showing people driving. If you enjoyed Spotlight, you'll probably like this.
devilman wrote:
Dark Waters was added to Amazon Prime today (no subtitles though, which is poor for a film released just last year)

I mean, even Deep Purple at Montreux 2011 (also added today) has subtitles, just in case I wasn't sure what was going on.

Attachment:
deep.png
We watched Ready Player One last night. I had a look and see most of you have seen it before. Russell enjoyed it but I thought it was a heap of rubbish.

I did recognise the girl from Bates Motel from her Avatar, though. That was absolutely the highlight moment of the film for me. The rest was just... bad.
devilman wrote:
(no subtitles though, which is poor for a film released just last year)

Amazon are awful for subtitles, I watched MY NAME IS JOE on there without subtitles, and it was all in Scottish, I had to concentrate quite hard.

The other night I watched INBRED on there which is a recent film, no subtitles, although that was easier to follow since a lot of it was in Yorkshireish and you don't need much in the way of subtitles when someone is getting exploded via the means of being pumped full of slurry until their stomach explodes onto the watching crowd. (Crowd are wisely wearing goggles.)

Eee by gum.
I mean, any adaptation can only be as good as its source material unless it is entirely rewritten
Ready Player One was weird is that it is just a big pile of references. If you enjoy spotting references you'll enjoy it, but if you just want to watch a movie it's not brilliant.
IT CUT OUT THE WHOLE FIRST D&D CLUE/KEY SECTION FROM THE BOOK!!!
Hearthly wrote:
devilman wrote:
(no subtitles though, which is poor for a film released just last year)

Amazon are awful for subtitles, I watched MY NAME IS JOE on there without subtitles, and it was all in Scottish, I had to concentrate quite hard.

They seem to be getting steadily better at least. The current worst offender is Google Play Movies, where barely anything seems to include subtitles.
Ready Player One is one of the worst films ever made. I've no idea whether the book is one of the worst books ever written so it's handing it's sins down or not, but it doesn't matter. The film's fucking awful.
I liked them both. It pleases me when Serenity drops off a Gundam.
Bamba wrote:
Ready Player One is one of the worst films ever made. I've no idea whether the book is one of the worst books ever written so it's handing it's sins down or not, but it doesn't matter. The film's fucking awful.

Nah
I can well see why someone might have found it a bit cynical and cheap and so it got their back up a bit but to describe it as being one of the worst films ever made is a bit hysterical. Watched again it with our daughter the other day and it kept her attention all the way through and I enjoyed it as well. Certainly not great but good fun.
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Nah

But have you considered actually that it is, indeed, bad
Mr Chonks wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Bamba wrote:

Nah

But have you considered actually that it is, indeed, bad

But I watched it an enjoyed it. Therefore it has value.
Pundabaya wrote:
Ready Player One was weird is that it is just a big pile of references. If you enjoy spotting references you'll enjoy it, but if you just want to watch a movie it's not brilliant.

Honestly, this was a massive part of why I didn't enjoy it. Usually, I enjoy the occasional clever reference that makes you chuckle, usually about something nostalgic, but this was just an endless stream shoehorned in, and so they quickly ceased to be clever or interesting to me, and they were so glaring that they almost cloaked what very little storyline there was.
It's a good enough film. Just disappointed that they took one of my favourite chunks out of the book.

I'd have liked them to have 'LoTR'sed it and done one film for each key really.
Here's a thing that I didn't understand that might have been explained in the book (which I haven't read).

When the evil gaming corporation player bods die in the game, their pods go red. They disconnect, someone runs into their pod and they run to a new pod and log in there instead.

Why didn't they just log back in, in the same pod?
Perhaps more damningly, why did their pods seem to be aligned with where they were stood in the game? When a load of them got shot in a straight line, for example, all the pods in a straight line went red.
Imagine stanning for RP1 of all things
Giphy "you keep using that word":
https://media3.giphy.com/media/lOaf0LBA2mluwm8cY8/giphy-loop.mp4
Page 397 of 423 [ 21122 posts ]