The Movie topic
...as there is none
Quote:
Here’s the film’s official synopsis, which confirms Schwarzenegger is playing another Terminator:

Linda Hamilton (“Sarah Connor”) and Arnold Schwarzenegger (“T-800”) return in their iconic roles inTerminator: Dark Fate, directed by Tim Miller (Deadpool) and produced by visionary filmmaker James Cameron and David Ellison. Following the events of Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Terminator: Dark Fate also stars Mackenzie Davis, Natalia Reyes, Gabriel Luna, and Diego Boneta.

Directed by Deadpool’s Tim Miller, Terminator: Dark Fate opens in theaters on November 1.

Blimey, so it’s a sequel.

Unlike those other sequels.

I’m calling it now: it won’t be dogshit like The Predator but it will be another Terminator: Genysis.
No Edward Furlong?

I'm out. He basically is the entire Terminator franchise and was absolutely the best thing about T2, and didn't in any way make me want to attack the cinema screen.
Films wot I wotched:

Unbreakable: The Bruce Willis superhero film that’s not a superhero film. I really enjoyed watching this again. Some great performances from all the cast and the slow pace was so refreshing in an age of superhero saturation.

Glass: Then I watched the sequel. Whatshisface does an AMAZING job again with the multiple personalities, a role which could have been utterly disastrous in someone else’s hands. Bruce is really good and channels the earlier performance really well despite the time that’s elapsed. I thought the elements where new footage was blended into old footage was really great. But despite that, I thought the story dragged and the 2+ hour run time was just far too long. I really didn’t enjoy the conclusion of the story either which was a shame.

The Favourite: just made me question how the Oscars choose the best actor. I mean, she was great but was it an Oscar winning performance? Well obviously it was, but it didn’t stand out for me. I was just a bit confused. Anyhoo, the film is great though and the entire cast are fantastic. Emma Stone makes me want babies with her. Again. The direction is unfortunate a bit annoying with static swinging cameras aplenty that really gets old fast.
I’ve been to the cinema.

IN FORE DEE EXXXX!

Unfortunately it was to watch SHAZAM! which might not have been the best film in 4DX.

I thought the 4DX was alright - the best way I can explain it is like those rides you get at Alton Towers, MGM studios and what-not where you sit in a big machine and it tilts and shudders and stuff. But you get some extras like - a massage chair (which feels like someone is kicking the back of your chair), blasts of air either side of your head, the back of your legs and a fan in front of you, a smoke machine under the screen, 3D (obv), and a blast of misty water. There’s smells as well but I couldn’t smell anything so it might not have been used for SHAZAM! Oh and some crazy fucking flood light things that blinded you to simulate lightning. Those were cool as fuck (although overused for SHAZAM! since lightning happens all the sodding time).

I came out and spoke to some bloke who had been a few times. He said the best type of films he’d seen in 4DX were the Star Wars films which makes sense I guess.

The weird thing was that I couldn’t fathom what part of the cinema experience the moving chair was. Sometimes it was part of the camera as it slowly panned about which felt really great as your chair is tracking with the camera going up and down and stuff. But at other times it was kicking me in the back as the villain was punching SHAZAM!; other times it was SHAZAM! as he was punching the villain. Rather than being part of the experience at times it felt disconnected.

The film was alright though. It felt like the Bumblebee film - the boy learning his powers stuff was good and then towards the end as it becomes about SHAZAM! SHAZAMMING! it got much less interesting. Most concerning though was that the boy actor was much more interesting and a better actor than the bloke who plays SHAZAM! I suppose the bloke has a tough time following up Tom Hanks in Big from fuck knows when and I don’t think he did a great job pulling out the emotions and mannerisms of the child actor into his superhero form. The difficulty I guess is that the child actor gets much more time on screen than Hanks child form so it becomes more noticeable when he’s just playing ‘a child’ as a superhero rather than ‘this child’.

It’s pretty funny in parts though but labours some jokes and has to explain them to the audience (there’s one really great moment near the end where SHAZAM! and the villain face off in a typical Superman style but it’s breaks the trope cause they can’t hear each other. It’s initially hilarious but then it goes on too long as the joke is explained in detail as if the audience hasn’t already fathomed what is going on). But equally it’s not laugh out loud hilarious and only about 50% of the lines actually land. The cinematography is alright but for a superhero that wears a bright red and yellow costume the colour palette is still quite muted. It’s better than DC’s more recent output, mind, but with Aquaman, Batman v Superman and Justice League being universally fucking dreadful it doesn’t take much to elevate itself above that garbage pile.

4DX: 6/10 but it was the wrong film. I would see, say, an Avatar or something in 4DX again.
SHAZAM: 5/10

Heres a 4DX info panel.
Google news feed decided to tell me about 4DX before or read this, but after it was posted.

HMMMM
We went to see Atomic Blonde in "DBOX" (the precursor to 4DX that just has motion effects) and frankly it was horrible, I was so distracted by what was going on with my seat that I couldn't focus on the film, so I turned the DBOX mode off 10 minutes in.

This sounds like a nightmare.
GazChap wrote:
We went to see Atomic Blonde in "DBOX" (the precursor to 4DX that just has motion effects) and frankly it was horrible, I was so distracted by what was going on with my seat that I couldn't focus on the film, so I turned the DBOX mode off 10 minutes in.

This sounds like a nightmare.

I did that too
I went to see Shazam.

It was funny passes the six laugh test. My son loved it.
Finally watched Venom, I thought it was pretty good. Made me chuckle a few times. :)
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Finally watched Venom, I thought it was pretty good. Made me chuckle a few times. :)

The internal arguments were great.

Plus Tom is sexy.
GIVE THIS TO ME NOW!

I’m calling it now: film of 2019 (after John Wick 3, of course)

So, my Ma has just tipped me off to a film that should never, ever be watched.
So you don't like Who Framed Roger Rabbit?!
The latest AA ad is a good example of creepy baby stuff

devilman wrote:
The latest AA ad is a good example of creepy baby stuff

My eldest son can't stand that ad! Creeps him out
Yeah, fuck that ad. Ruined an excellent song.
Grim... wrote:
So you don't like Who Framed Roger Rabbit?!

No, I don’t mind that as it’s a non-realistic cartoon representation of a baby. It’s more things like that ad that Devilman posted that give me the creeps. CGI manipulation of a real baby/animal image, or realistic CGI representations of the same, especially when they are made to ‘talk’. Bleurgh. It’s the whole Uncanny Valley thing they’ve got going on.
I just saw a trailer for a film called Gemini Man, which o can’t link here as it was on Facebook), where they have backwards aged Will Smith to around Fresh Prince age. It looked quite clever! Obviously I was watching on a tiny phone screen and hadn’t turned it sideways so don’t know how good the effect is blown right up huge, and tge actual film doesn’t look like me cup of tea, but the backwards ageing effect was interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbyJignbSj0

I dunno, the young version has a bit of "I am a CGI character" look to him.
Did I mention how amazing the new alladin looks?
MaliA wrote:
Did I mention how amazing the new alladin looks?

Better than the SNES?
LewieP wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbyJignbSj0

I dunno, the young version has a bit of "I am a CGI character" look to him.

Does it? That’s a shame. My screen might be about 7cm wide so it looked ok to me, but I did wonder how I would look up close.
Clive Owen! Where the fuck has he been?
Privateer 2: The Darkening remains one of my favourite and most played games, but I suspect that has as much to do with the time of life I was in when it arrived.
And I think I might watch Children of Men on the commute tomorrow. Thanks Markg!
markg wrote:

I believe he’s been in the States for the last few years doing a period medical drama
DBSnappa wrote:
markg wrote:

I believe he’s been in the States for the last few years doing a period medical drama

Sponsored by Tampax i expect.
https://twitter.com/chrishemsworth/stat ... 9722480642

A fucking Lexus?!
I'm still sad the MIB/21 Jump Street crossover isn't happening.
Grim... wrote:
A fucking Lexus?!

The Japanese mercedes
If it's international, why can't they let the actors use their real accents? Neither of them are great at the American sound.

Looks like fun though.
MaliA wrote:
Grim... wrote:
A fucking Lexus?!

The Japanese mercedes

Pfh, Toyota Crown in taxi spec or GTFO..
DBSnappa wrote:
markg wrote:

Was he playing a chair?
RIP Jennifer Anniston.

Hang on, turns out Sandler & Anniston were in a film together already called Just Go With It...

https://youtu.be/4SoC6atVsLA

... and I’m sure I’ve watched it too. Must have been really good.
Hammer-weilding gods and gamma-irradiated were-monsters I can deal with.

Sandler marrying Aniston? Nah bruv.
Film Review: The Great Wall (on Netflix). Matt Damon (Team America World Police) and Pedro Pascal (Narcos, GoT) embark on an audacious heist of gunpowder in China. This turns very quickly into a touching romance between the two very different lead characters and their counterparts and juxtaposes the cultures superbly. Pascal acts as a superb chorus, and often conscience of Damon. Powerful choreography and stomping music add to the experience
MaliA wrote:
Film Review: The Great Wall (on Netflix). Matt Damon (Team America World Police) and Pedro Pascal (Narcos, GoT) embark on an audacious heist of gunpowder in China. This turns very quickly into a touching romance between the two very different lead characters and their counterparts and juxtaposes the cultures superbly. Pascal acts as a superb chorus, and often conscience of Damon. Powerful choreography and stomping music add to the experience

That’s a hard miss from me then
Just remembered I saw Baywatch this weekend.

I don't know what else to say.
Brawl In Cell Block 99.

A very odd film. I guess it would be classified as Grindhouse? or whatever they call it. It was pretty good though, and it's nice to see Vince Vaughn again. I haven't seen him since my involuntary flick chick days with my first wife.

8/10 well worth a watch. It sorta borrows quite well from the John Wick movies with its lovely dark and sultry scenes.
Grim... wrote:
"It was great"?

It was gsrheiatt :metul:
Holy shit, just realised the warden in the movie was Don Johnson. Fuck me I knew I had seen him somewhere before !
I thought Brawl was an excellent and nasty little film. Definitely gave off a grindhouse vibe, especially with the practical effects.

Death by toilet hole!
It really shouldn't, but this... this doesn't look that bad.

He's too tall and skinny.

Colonel Tigh, though! And the awesome brother from Sex Drive!
Grim... wrote:
He's too tall and skinny.

Sonic or Dr Robotnik?

Or both now I think about it! :blown:
WTF? Gangster's Paradise?
It looks absolutely terrible.
Page 370 of 423 [ 21111 posts ]