The Movie topic
...as there is none
Malabar Front wrote:
I have acquired this. I will watch this. It better be good, chap.
We watched it a couple of weeks ago, it was ok, I wouldn't rave about it as much as SA, but I did enjoy it.

Night at the Museum 2
If you loved the first, you'll love this one too, some clever writing and cool scenes.

When I grow up, I want to be Amelia Earheart. :DD
Everybody who hasn't already seen it go and catch Coraline in 3D before it goes off the cinema screens at the Cineworld branches, the last showing is at 6:10 Thursday night. It's the best children's film in my opinion of the last ten years, outside of Studio Ghibli. Utterly ravishing to look at, a really scary monster, some great laughs, frights, a clever plucky lass as the lead - it's just brilliant, okay? Oh! And soundtrack is fab too.

Gaiman's having a far better run film wise than poor old Moore, methinks.
Watched North Face at the weekend, and it was superb.
Jumper was shit, Cthulhu was a real banquet of a film, stark and fanboy pleasing whilst keeping the cannon elements as relative cameos... to ultimately good effect. Open-minded and will probably reveal new twists in repeated viewings. Tori Spelling was fine in it.

Doomsday is a fantastic film, Best of British. It's a tribute, a mashup, an anachronism and a work of stupid, brilliant, gory, entertaining art. I wish for a sequel quietly, even Marshall would do well to top that fanboygasm.
nervouspete wrote:
Everybody who hasn't already seen it go and catch Coraline in 3D before it goes off the cinema screens at the Cineworld branches, the last showing is at 6:10 Thursday night. It's the best children's film in my opinion of the last ten years, outside of Studio Ghibli. Utterly ravishing to look at, a really scary monster, some great laughs, frights, a clever plucky lass as the lead - it's just brilliant, okay? Oh! And soundtrack is fab too.

We were going to watch this, but I really didn't enjoy A Nightmare Before Christmas, so thought I might do well to avoid this.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
nervouspete wrote:

We were going to watch this, but I really didn't enjoy A Nightmare Before Christmas, so thought I might do well to avoid this.

It is, honestly, way, way better. :)
nervouspete wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
nervouspete wrote:

I haven't seen Coraline yet (tbh, the book was a little disappointing Imhotep), but you're both VERY WRONG IN THE HEAD!

The Nightmare Before Christmas is an all-time classic.

*STOMPS OFF*
Curiosity wrote:
nervouspete wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
nervouspete wrote:

I haven't seen Coraline yet (tbh, the book was a little disappointing Imhotep), but you're both VERY WRONG IN THE HEAD!

The Nightmare Before Christmas is an all-time classic.

*STOMPS OFF*

I really like Nightmare Before Christmas, I'm just saying - and I even agree with you here on the book not being the classic lots of people say it is - that it's way, way better.

In my opinion.

"What's this?! What's this?! Doo doo doo doo doo doo..."
nervouspete wrote:

I think I pretty much said that as well. This film should be in the top 100 on imdb, NOT that start trek nonsense (despite being still good fun). Coraline is pure ART. (Even if it is slightly too long).

I'm going to buy the soundtrack. I already have a 'preview version' and it's gorgeous.
GovernmentYard wrote:
Jumper was shit, Cthulhu was a real banquet of a film, stark and fanboy pleasing whilst keeping the cannon elements as relative cameos... to ultimately good effect. Open-minded and will probably reveal new twists in repeated viewings. Tori Spelling was fine in it.

Nope, you've lost me there. The pug-faced "actress" who only got a spot in 90210 because Daddy was producing it?
Nirejhenge wrote:
nervouspete wrote:

I think I pretty much said that as well. This film should be in the top 100 on imdb, NOT that start trek nonsense (despite being still good fun). Coraline is pure ART. (Even if it is slightly too long).

I'm going to buy the soundtrack. I already have a 'preview version' and it's gorgeous.

any movie released these days is going for the top 100. Imdb users nowadays aren't too demanding. The Dark Knight is placed 7th!
I really enjoyed Coraline at the time, but the more I think about it the more it bothers me. I don't mind changes from book to screen in a general sense, but some of the changes made to Coraline really bother me.

My current recommendation is Taken, which is possibly xenophobic, definitely ludicrous and which starts very slowly - but after the first twenty minutes or so it's an excellent action flick with a perfect performance by Liam Neeson.
The Rev Owen wrote:
My current recommendation is Taken, which is possibly xenophobic, definitely ludicrous and which starts very slowly - but after the first twenty minutes or so it's an excellent action flick with a perfect performance by Liam Neeson.

it was one of the worst movies i've ever seen, so i won't take your recommendations seriously...ever again. :p
I really enjoyed Taken. It's like a highly condensed 24 story.
Zardoz wrote:

They could have called it 1.5166667
Zardoz wrote:

Yeah, it reminded me of 24 quite a lot.
The Rev Owen wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Yeah, it reminded me of 24 quite a lot.
We're watching it tonight. :)
GovernmentYard wrote:
Doomsday is a fantastic film, Best of British. It's a tribute, a mashup, an anachronism and a work of stupid, brilliant, gory, entertaining art. I wish for a sequel quietly, even Marshall would do well to top that fanboygasm.

GY has the truth of it.

Just saw Once, which is similar to Doomsday only exactly the opposite. It's the story of a friendship that develops between an Irish busker and a Czech pianist and it's gentle and low-key and utterly, utterly wonderful. The music is fantastic and my heart could not possibly be more warmed. Probably not a film for everyone on this board, but if you like this sort of thing this is the sort of thing you'll like.
Rodafowa wrote:
GovernmentYard wrote:

GY has the truth of it.

Just saw Once, which is similar to Doomsday only exactly the opposite. It's the story of a friendship that develops between an Irish busker and a Czech pianist and it's gentle and low-key and utterly, utterly wonderful. The music is fantastic and my heart could not possibly be more warmed. Probably not a film for everyone on this board, but if you like this sort of thing this is the sort of thing you'll like.

I keep on meaning to watch this, as the bloke is Glenn Hansard from The Frames, and I've liked him/them for ages. Won an Oscar too.
Rodafowa wrote:
GY has the truth of it.

I really don't like this sort of thing. Reckon it's the film for me?
Give it ten minutes. If you don't like it by the end of that you can safely abandon ship. I can totally see it's not a film for everyone.
"A Night in the Museum" is quite entertaining.
Watched 300 last night. Quite good innit? Does anybody know the statistics on 'merican adolescents now claiming Spartan descent?
Termy 4 this week.

I don't care what they say... it's going to be BRILLIANT.
Dimrill wrote:
Watched 300 last night. Quite good innit? Does anybody know the statistics on 'merican adolescents now claiming Spartan descent?

300 is the most homoerotic film i've ever seen.

Latest watchings:

Gran Torino: Absolutely loved it.

A woman under the influence: a '74 cassavetes film. Interesting in parts and nice acting but way too long.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/263379/ ... about.html

Some interesting entries on that list, especially the proposed Ron Howard Lensmen project and the new film from the folks who made Cube.
I also need to see this but can't find it anywhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmfzKKM49uY
The wife made the mistake of saying that she hadn't seen Ace Ventura, so I watched that again last night (with her, obv). It's still brilliant, even 16 (sob) years on.

"Llllllllike a glove!"
Grim... wrote:
The wife made the mistake of saying that she hadn't seen Ace Ventura, so I watched that again last night (with her, obv). It's still brilliant, even 16 (sob) years on.

"Llllllllike a glove!"

I imagine that's how you regularly park.

:D
Oooo, I've just caught the trailer for 'Red Cliff' on the telly box. Further investigation reveals it's Dynasty Warriors the Movie. :D
Yeah, certainly looks like it :0)

It looks rather ace, but also looks like it will have an annoying and entirely superfluous love interest.
Dimrill wrote:
Set phasers to Jesus Fucking Christ.

Fucking Hell.

Johnny Five's raped!

:(

Malc
Wouldn't you like to be a remake too?
Dimrill wrote:
Wouldn't you like to be a remake too?

remade into what?

a 23 year old version of myself? yes please!

anything else? no thanks.

Malc
Dimrill wrote:

So it's done by the blokes who were once producers on the mighty 'Pete's Perfect Film' Tremors, but who then gradually ran it into the ground writing and directing shockingly inferior sequels and a rather pointless TV series? Good job I don't give a shit about Short Circuit, then.

Apart from in general, about this whole 'franchise reboot' craze going on. I almost feel like going and trucking over a lifetime's supply of top chocolatte mint sweet Mingles to James Cameron, solely because the upcoming Avatar isn't based on a comic book, novel, other film, toy, cartoon or anything.

Anyway, Moon is coming soon. And that cheers me up.
Is Moon based on the James Herbert book?
Grim... wrote:
Is Moon based on the James Herbert book?

Nope, entirely new thing. Look for the trailer online, it looks fab and has Sam Rockwell and is directed by Zowie Bowie. Old skool Twilight Zoney sci-fi. No explosions! Made on a low budget (about four million I heard) and it looks beautiful.
Dimrill wrote:

Fucksake, 2010, get your own film ideas.
I'm amused by these cunts trumpeting forthcoming comic/graphic novel adaptations as "dark reimaginings." If you want to make dark, gritty, realistic movies, why not make some that aren't based on childrens' stories to begin with? Half the battle!
The Count of Six wrote:
comic/graphic novel adaptations [...] childrens' stories

?:|
Shit, I should have been more tactful about that. I'm like the uncle who let slip that there was no Santa. :(
The Count of Six wrote:
Shit, I should have been more tactful about that. I'm like the uncle who let slip that there was no Santa. :(

Stunning idea.
I watched Sex Drive last night. I liked it.
I especially liked The Judge, Rex and Ezekial.
Grim... wrote:
The Count of Six wrote:
comic/graphic novel adaptations [...] childrens' stories

?:|

oh, yes, that's like those people who say videogames are just for kids...

I still don't understand the appeal of comic/graphic novels though
Malc wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Fucking Hell.

Johnny Five's raped!

*cries*

And not just because it was one of the early films made in Toronto because it was cheaper to film there than New York and so is full of landmarks.
Morte wrote:
Oooo, I've just caught the trailer for 'Red Cliff' on the telly box. Further investigation reveals it's Dynasty Warriors the Movie. :D

I went to see Red Cliff a couple of weeks ago and thought it was really good. There are certain liberties taken with historical accuracy but it's still awesome. In the UK it's 2h20 long which is only half the full run time but it covers the whole story. In China it was done in two parts and is available in HD from (all good importers - Ed)

Sun Shang Xian features strongly in the film but you never see her fight. :(

Sadly there are no musou attacks seen in the film and no sign of Zhang He. Or Lu Bu (but then he's supposed to be dead by now or something).

Another peculiarity is that Zhuge Liang is referred to as XongMing or something like in the cinema version I saw but then in the HD version I have he's called Zhuge as he should be.
Little Miss Sunshine is really excellent.
myp wrote:
Little Miss Sunshine is really excellent.

Yes.

Three movies this weekend.

[rec] - Pretty awesome. Takes a while to get going, but it's worth it

Ratatouille - Generally regarded as the runt of Pixar litter, I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected. It's good.

Christine - I read a book while the wife watched this.
Page 3 of 422 [ 21087 posts ]