Star Trek (contains big spoilers for Discovery)
Glows and yum like Ready Brek?
Wrath of Khan is better.
Nirejhenge wrote:
Wrath of Khan is better.

You just did not like the new one did you? :)
Zio wrote:
Grim... wrote:
As did I. Also it had numberplates that were apparently switch-off-and-on-able.

Not sure I follow... the Enterprise in this film is clearly marked 'NCC 1701'.

Of course, now the franchise is rebooted, none of this may have happened.

So, despite wanting to avoid spoilers, is it the case that this DOESN'T slot in between Enterprise and Star Trek: TOS?
MetalAngel wrote:
Zio wrote:
Grim... wrote:
As did I. Also it had numberplates that were apparently switch-off-and-on-able.

Not sure I follow... the Enterprise in this film is clearly marked 'NCC 1701'.

Of course, now the franchise is rebooted, none of this may have happened.

So, despite wanting to avoid spoilers, is it the case that this DOESN'T slot in between Enterprise and Star Trek: TOS?

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Yes it does..
So it does or it doesn't?
MetalAngel wrote:

hmmm.. i did say yes it does...
Sorry, confoozled.
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
MetalAngel wrote:

hmmm.. i did say yes it does...

I would disagree.
Why is it not?

Archer's Enterpise was one of the first starships to have above warp 1.

The Kirk's enterpirse was one of the first to have Warp 5

So as this has young Kirk it has to be set after Archer's enterpise, and it is the TOS enterpise as it has the same tag NCC-1701
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
Why is it not?

So as this has young Kirk it has to be set after Archer's enterpise, and it is the TOS enterpise as it has the same tag NCC-1701

This spoiler is actually a spoiler, by the way.

But it's set in another timeline, so TOS will never happen after the movie.
The Rev Owen wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
Why is it not?

yes but

As the original Spock is in it how can he exist if his time line has altered?
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
The Rev Owen wrote:

yes but

As the original Spock is in it how can he exist if his time line has altered?

As I would understand it, in the original timeline, Spock and Nero disappeared into a black hole and are gone. They're in this new parallel universe instead, which split off from the original universe 25 years before the movie, when Nero first came through the black hole. We know TOS will never happen in this universe due to the timeline changes - not least because they can't go and visit Vulcan.
All this talk of alternate universes confuses and angers me.
I get it now...

So Stardate time it is set between them (enterprise and TOS), but because of the destruction of Vulcan etc, the future has changed
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
I get it now...

So Stardate time it is set between them (enterprise and TOS), but because of the destruction of Vulcan etc, the future has changed

That's how I see it yes.

But I assume the "old" timeline still exists and will still be the place where the novels and comics are set, except for any movie specific ones.
MetalAngel wrote:
All this talk of alternate universes confuses and angers me.

Regarding the whole "well which bloody Enterprise is it then?" debate:

This is the first ever mission for Kirk's Enterprise (the NCC 1701 - the one from the original series and the first 3 movies). It's always been established that Kirk was not the first Captain of this Enterprise, Christopher Pike was.
Wasn't Pike the captain in TOS pilot episode. Then Replaced by Kirt for TOS?
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Want to see it. Now.

I would... I think it is the best Star Trek film to date.

12.30 showing. :)

*gets shoes*

Worth putting shoes on for. I enjoyed that.
Acebest fun. Several actual LOL moments. :DD
Fucking brilliant. Bravest and most successful reboot ever? I think so.

Meaty: I have spent four months tap dancing around Fallout spoilers while you whinged about the fucking Enclave and Brotherhood whilst not having finished the actual game. I'm not doing it with the plot of this. IF YOU MOAN AT ME ABOUT THIS FILM WITHOUT WATCHING IT FIRST I WILL FUCKING SPOIL IT TO PROVE YOU WRONG. THIS WAS YOUR ONLY WARNING.

Zio: did you miss off the NCC-1701-F? IIRC that's the future Enterprise piloted by Riker we glimpse in the finale of Next Gen. The one with a cloak and three warp nacelles. I might be wrong, I haven't fact-checked myself yet.
Movie. Good.

If you don't like Star Trek, go and see it.

If you like Star Trek, go and see it.

If you are indifferent to Star Trek, go and see it.

End trans.
Kovacs Caprios wrote:

And showed up crippled and in a wheelchair, communicating ludicrously via flashing lights on the front of the chair, in the episode that was made up out of the re-cut pilot, the one where Kirk was on trial.

Really enjoyed it. Funnily enough, the only bit I could have done without was:

...the whole section on the iceworld. Really? There was no more elegant and cohesive way you could have woven in the time-travel plot and Old Spock than that? A massive Exposition Dump and an even more massive coincidence that Kirk got marooned on the same world that Nero dumped Spock on? Why wouldn't Nero have just kept Spock on the bridge of his ship? Couldn't he have seen the destruction of Vulcan from there? Hmmm and ahem and come on now.

The time-travel thingamy was such a cool idea it deserved a lot better.

That's nit-picking, though. Like I say, really enjoyed it, really good fun, nice performances all round particularly from Kirk (who had the Kirk Smirk and the Kirk Slouch bang-on), Sylar, Captain Pike and Bones. Within the first ten minutes I'd laughed, I'd cried and I'd seen the vehicle I DO WANT more than any other in movie history, knocking the Speeder Bike, Batman Begins Batmobile and hoverboard out of Back To The Future 2 down the charts.
Rodafowa wrote:
Within the first ten minutes I'd laughed, I'd cried and I'd seen the vehicle I DO WANT more than any other in movie history, knocking the Speeder Bike, Batman Begins Batmobile and hoverboard out of Back To The Future 2 down the charts.

Glorious. And that was a damn fine zippy ride. May it one day be attainable. Who else grinned like a mad fuck when
Sabotage
started blasting? I even forgave the product placement.
It was pretty good.
They should make the next one The Search For Spock II, with old Kirk trying to find out what the hell happened to his mate.
Rodafowa wrote:
Kovacs Caprios wrote:

And showed up crippled and in a wheelchair, communicating ludicrously via flashing lights on the front of the chair, in the episode that was made up out of the re-cut pilot, the one where Kirk was on trial.

Really enjoyed it. Funnily enough, the only bit I could have done without was:

...the whole section on the iceworld. Really? There was no more elegant and cohesive way you could have woven in the time-travel plot and Old Spock than that? A massive Exposition Dump and an even more massive coincidence that Kirk got marooned on the same world that Nero dumped Spock on? Why wouldn't Nero have just kept Spock on the bridge of his ship? Couldn't he have seen the destruction of Vulcan from there? Hmmm and ahem and come on now.

The time-travel thingamy was such a cool idea it deserved a lot better.

That's nit-picking, though. Like I say, really enjoyed it, really good fun, nice performances all round particularly from Kirk (who had the Kirk Smirk and the Kirk Slouch bang-on), Sylar, Captain Pike and Bones. Within the first ten minutes I'd laughed, I'd cried and I'd seen the vehicle I DO WANT more than any other in movie history, knocking the Speeder Bike, Batman Begins Batmobile and hoverboard out of Back To The Future 2 down the charts.

I don't think you could risk Spock being on the ship, he could have interferend.
grumpysmurf wrote:
It was pretty good.
They should make the next one The Search For Spock II, with old Kirk trying to find out what the hell happened to his mate.

Except that

old Kirk is most certainly dead by that point. Vulcans are long-lived, and Spock talks about it being 75 years or something since he first stepped on the bridge of the Enterprise
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Zio: did you miss off the NCC-1701-F? IIRC that's the future Enterprise piloted by Riker we glimpse in the finale of Next Gen. The one with a cloak and three warp nacelles. I might be wrong, I haven't fact-checked myself yet.

That was the 'D' after a refit. 'Admiral' Riker in the alternative timeline had nabbed the Enterprise as a flagship.
There was a 4-part comic book prequel to this film, don't know if any of you caught it? iPhone/iPod Touch owners can download it from the App Store for 59p per issue - it's pretty good and I'd definitely recommend it.

If you can't be arsed and just want to know what happens in it:

It's set some years after the events of Star Trek Nemesis. Nero and the crew of the Narada (at this point a fairly simple Romulan mining vessel) barely escape a gigantic supernova, and quickly head back to Romulus to warn the Senate that they believe this supernova could eventually wipe out most of the Empire, including Romulus itself. Ambassador Spock also believes this is a distinct possibilty, but neither he nor Nero can convince the Senate, whose own scientists believe the nova will die out before it causes any serious damage. Besides, the only known race with the technology to do anything about the supernova are the Vulcans, and the Romulans are not interested in accepting their help.

Nero takes Spock on board the Narada and secretly heads to Vulcan, in order to plead for help anyway from the Vulcan High Council and are joined in this effort by Ambassador Picard and Data (B4 from Nemesis with Data's personality and memories uploaded), who is now Captain of the Enterprise-E. The High Council however are reluctant to provide any help without officially being asked by the Romulans, which causes Nero to head off in a huff to try and save his family before Romulus is destroyed.

Eventually Spock, Picard and Data are able to convince the High Council to allow Spock to take the Jellyfish (Spock's ship from the movie) with the Red Matter to head into Romulan space and stop the supernova (Spock volunteers due to his age - this will almost certainly be a suicide mission). However all of the delays caused by the High Council means that Spock is not able to reach the supernova before Romulus is destroyed. Likewise, Nero also fails to rescue his family in time before having to witness the destruction of his home. As a result, he and his crew shave their heads and tattoo their faces (apparentely a sign of their mourning) and locate the Romulan Senate, who have escaped the destruction in their own ship. He kills the Praetor for failing to do anything to stop the destruction of Romulus, then makes the remaining Senate members give him access to a top secret Romulan weapons research base so that he can outfit the Narada with super-advanced weaponry.

Nero then heads off to intercept Spock and prevent him from stopping the supernova, as he wants it to continue to destroy the Federation like it has the Romulan Empire. However, Spock has already launched the Red Matter by the time the Narada catches up to him and both ships gets sucked through the resultant black hole.
First two parts are also in the Star Trek comic, on sale now in all good newsagents.
nervouspete wrote:
Who else grinned like a mad fuck when
Sabotage
started blasting? I even forgave the product placement.
Moi! It made me want to get out a placcy guitar. ?:|
Zio wrote:
There was a 4-part comic book prequel to this film, don't know if any of you caught it? iPhone/iPod Touch owners can download it from the App Store for 59p per issue - it's pretty good and I'd definitely recommend it.

If you can't be arsed and just want to know what happens in it:

It's set some years after the events of Star Trek Nemesis. Nero and the crew of the Narada (at this point a fairly simple Romulan mining vessel) barely escape a gigantic supernova, and quickly head back to Romulus to warn the Senate that they believe this supernova could eventually wipe out most of the Empire, including Romulus itself. Ambassador Spock also believes this is a distinct possibilty, but neither he nor Nero can convince the Senate, whose own scientists believe the nova will die out before it causes any serious damage. Besides, the only known race with the technology to do anything about the supernova are the Vulcans, and the Romulans are not interested in accepting their help.

Nero takes Spock on board the Narada and secretly heads to Vulcan, in order to plead for help anyway from the Vulcan High Council and are joined in this effort by Ambassador Picard and Data (B4 from Nemesis with Data's personality and memories uploaded), who is now Captain of the Enterprise-E. The High Council however are reluctant to provide any help without officially being asked by the Romulans, which causes Nero to head off in a huff to try and save his family before Romulus is destroyed.

Eventually Spock, Picard and Data are able to convince the High Council to allow Spock to take the Jellyfish (Spock's ship from the movie) with the Red Matter to head into Romulan space and stop the supernova (Spock volunteers due to his age - this will almost certainly be a suicide mission). However all of the delays caused by the High Council means that Spock is not able to reach the supernova before Romulus is destroyed. Likewise, Nero also fails to rescue his family in time before having to witness the destruction of his home. As a result, he and his crew shave their heads and tattoo their faces (apparentely a sign of their mourning) and locate the Romulan Senate, who have escaped the destruction in their own ship. He kills the Praetor for failing to do anything to stop the destruction of Romulus, then makes the remaining Senate members give him access to a top secret Romulan weapons research base so that he can outfit the Narada with super-advanced weaponry.

Nero then heads off to intercept Spock and prevent him from stopping the supernova, as he wants it to continue to destroy the Federation like it has the Romulan Empire. However, Spock has already launched the Red Matter by the time the Narada catches up to him and both ships gets sucked through the resultant black hole.

Eventually Spock, Picard and Data ..

Did Data not die in Nemisis?
Read it again.
What a fucking copout! They said in Nemesis that they couldn't do that.
Craster wrote:
Read it again.

I did

Quote:
It's set some years after the events of Star Trek Nemesis
if so, did Data not perish in Nemisis?
Er, I think you need to read it again again.
Grim... wrote:
Er, I think you need to read it again again.

Ambassador Picard and Data (B4 from Nemesis with Data's personality and memories uploaded),

ah!! having a slow day..
Grim... wrote:

One of the many reasons I thought Nemesis was shite. The whole B4 sub-plot was there just so they'd have a way out from killing Data off.
I liked Nemesis a lot.

Mind you, my favorite Trek was Voyager, so I'm well aware I'm not accepted in Trekkie circles ;)
Grim... wrote:

that is what confused me, as in the film they said the 'other data' was not advanced enough.
Grim... wrote:
I liked Nemesis a lot.

Mind you, my favorite Trek was Voyager, so I'm well aware I'm not accepted in Trekkie circles ;)

The wife only likes Voyager too
I don't only like Voyager. I'm not a massive fan of any of them, to be honest.
Liking Nemesis instantly invalidates any opinions you may have in the future. (Says the person associated more than anyone else with the word WRONG)
I've seen nemesis maybe 3.5 times and it's never made any impact on my memory. I can barely tell you what happened. Also, it's the first Trek film since IV that didn't see at the cinemarrr.

I haven't seen the reboot yet (next weekend, I promised my bro)
I :luv: Voyager, my favourite series of all. :)
Ensign Hairy Quim!
There were two good things about Voyager. The intro was wonderful, with stately beautiful music and some breathtakingly well conceived visuals of Voyager cruising through gas giant rings, and silhouetted against blinding sun beams. And the Doctor, Robert Picardo.

That was it.

Nemesis was terrible. I felt insulted. I wanted to kick John Logan and Stuart Baird's faces off and I wasn't even particularily a Trek fan.

Oh no Data's self-sacrificially dead in stopping a doomsday device! It's just like Wrath of Khan!

Hurrah! Data's alive! In the form of an identical robot with all his memories and emotions and personalities and... hold on... that's not hurrah at all. He's still dead, if a machine could acquire a soul. Why's everyone grinning like an idiot around him? What the fuck is this? Why have they ruined one of the key good ideas in TNG? What is this bollocks awful directing? A seat-belt joke? What? Where the fuck is Snarf? FUCK OFF.

grrrgh.
nervouspete wrote:
There were two good things about Voyager. The intro was wonderful, with stately beautiful music and some breathtakingly well conceived visuals of Voyager cruising through gas giant rings, and silhouetted against blinding sun beams. And the Doctor, Robert Picardo.

That was it.

Nemesis was terrible. I felt insulted. I wanted to kick John Logan and Stuart Baird's faces off and I wasn't even particularily a Trek fan.

Oh no Data's self-sacrificially dead in stopping a doomsday device! It's just like Wrath of Khan!

Hurrah! Data's alive! In the form of an identical robot with all his memories and emotions and personalities and... hold on... that's not hurrah at all. He's still dead, if a machine could acquire a soul. Why's everyone grinning like an idiot around him? What the fuck is this? Why have they ruined one of the key good ideas in TNG? What is this bollocks awful directing? A seat-belt joke? What? Where the fuck is Snarf? FUCK OFF.

grrrgh.

All of :this:
Just been to see Star Trek and it is amazing. Best sci-fi and best summer blockbuster in years.
Page 2 of 8 [ 373 posts ]