Poll: Vote for the winner of the First Photo challenege

Who should win the first photo challenge?
Poll ended at Tue Apr 22, 2008 17:05
Option 1  21%  [ 8 ]
Option 2  2%  [ 1 ]
Option 3  23%  [ 9 ]
Option 4  18%  [ 7 ]
Option 5  34%  [ 13 ]
Total votes : 38
I don't know if this was being dealt with but here goes.
Vote for your fav to win the first Photo challenge.

Option 1: Ace's Entry
Option 2: MaliA's Entry
Option 3: Rodafowa's Entry
Option 4: Bluecup's Entry
Option 5: Grim's Entry
I small bump to gather a few more votes before declaring the winner!
More votes please.
Woah, where the fuck did the random votes for the last option suddenly come from???
what was the again?
Shewolf wrote:
More votes please.
Woah, where the fuck did the random votes for the last option suddenly come from???

People with taste.

I voted for #3
Maybe it would be better if it wasn't known who took the photos just to avoid any potential bias.
A good idea..also makes it more open to discussion and opinion.
How would this be done, entries submitted to a judge instead of uploaded by the submiters?

Personally, and this is personally mind, I don't see what Grim's entry has to do with the theme at all.
I've studied it, I am at a loss.
But the majority like it. The poll's not over yet but looks like it'll e Grim picking the next theme.
It was taken on a Sunday?

I think the themes are more to inspire the creative process than a set of rules.
Well, you see, a theme to me would not include anything taken on a Sunday.
That would make it themeless if you will...
A theme is a subjective thing. It's not about rules when it comes to art, as the best art should conform to no rules.
I see it as the two big opposites: Sun - Moon, Day - Night.

I don't think that was intended (It was taken on a Sunday evening) but that's what my brain says.
A theme is not a rule it is a way of providing a point to a contest.
And sometimes art does have points, I'm not talking about rules, to be considered.

I think a theme should be something to tie in images for the fornight, not so close as making everyones ideas the same but certainly not to wide open as 'oh any old photo will do here if it's taken on a day or near something'.
Craster wrote:
I think the themes are more to inspire the creative process than a set of rules.

This. And Grim...'s picture is a cracker, so job done.

Although I voted for Bluecup's excellent boudoir shot.
It is a nice photo, jsut not a 'sunday' type photo.
the 2nd photo doesnt work for me, and I cant make a decision otherwise.
The name of the photographer shouldn't be announced in the voting bit methinks. Should be anonymous.
jonarob wrote:
The name of the photographer shouldn't be announced in the voting bit methinks. Should be anonymous.

Aye we were pondering that.
Should judges be pre-elected and have the submitions sent to them for posting? Hm.
You're making this all more formal than it needs to be.
Formal? I don't consider any of it formal, a bit of structure would be nice however.
The judges are the voters, are they not? Just make the entries anonymous in the poll thread, then anyone who wanders in isn't influenced by the person who took the photo. Also, why are the photos so small and pathetic? They should be big and stuff.
I must be being really slow (used to it).. how can they be anonymous when the person who took them will have put them on the site?
Just make them anonymous in this thread. I don't know whose photos those are, apart from the names in the links. I didn't read the photography thread thing. A lot of people are probably similar. It makes it a bit more fair anyway.
OK, I have an idea.

We set up a Flikr account and give the sign-in details to all those taking part who can upload their photos anonymously every fortnight. The voting can then be done anonymously.

I love Grim...'s picture - and maybe that is what Sunday means to him, but I chose a photo that I thought reflected 'Sunday' and had an interesting composition.

Anyway, I'll set up a Flickr account if people think that is a good idea.
That's a fabulous idea.
Sounds like a plan.
Google Picasa is also a good place for this.
jonarob wrote:
Just make them anonymous in this thread. I don't know whose photos those are, apart from the names in the links. I didn't read the photography thread thing. A lot of people are probably similar. It makes it a bit more fair anyway.

The only problem is that when people post their photos available for the vote, they'll be posting under their name.

I don't think that it is intended as just a bit of fun, but I can understand why people think voting should be anonymous - it'll stop some peple feeling disheartened that their picture wasn't so popular if they don't think it is some kind of popularity contest, I suppose.
OK guys - I'll look at Picasa/Flickr and set something up this evening.

:munkeh:
Mimi wrote:
jonarob wrote:

The only problem is that when people post their photos available for the vote, they'll be posting under their name.

I don't think that it is intended as just a bit of fun, but I can understand why people think voting should be anonymous - it'll stop some peple feeling disheartened that their picture wasn't so popular if they don't think it is some kind of popularity contest, I suppose.

Yeah, I know! I'm saying, in the vote thread, like this very thread, they should be anonymous. To at least make it a little bit more fair.
jonarob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
jonarob wrote:

Yeah, I know! I'm saying, in the vote thread, like this very thread, they should be anonymous. To at least make it a little bit more fair.

Oh, I see.

What I meant was that everyone can upload to a communal flickr/picasa site and then the person who organises the poll can link to each of the pictures int he post announcing the poll, that way they stay anonymous.
Mimi wrote:
What I meant was that everyone can upload to a communal flickr/picasa site and then the person who organises the poll can link to each of the pictures int he post announcing the poll, that way they stay anonymous.

Yep, and that's brilliant, because as long as people name their photos, we can discuss them/critique them by name without ever needing to know who put them there.
Ok, well if no-one objects that's what I'll do, then.

We can give it a go at least - we can always change our mind or tweak it, but it seems like a good way of going about it.

Look at me go - Miss Practicality. (Is that some awful Julia Roberts film?)
No, that was Miss Congenital Brain Disorder, I think.
OK, I have created a picasa web album. I will give the sign-in and password when the next subject is announced - I'll crate folder with the subject of that fortnight's challenge as the album title and people can upload anonymously to that folder - a new folder created each time a new subject is announced.

When compiling the vote the entries can be posted directly into the thread by the poll compiler so posting to the picasa account and subsequently the photo thread will be anonymous.

Okie Dokie. :munkeh:
I forgot to enter this, but I fully intend to for the next one. Choose a theme someone, quick!
Well, i think that someone (Grim...) had set up a random member generator, but I don't think anyone has been picked to choose the next theme yet. Really, a theme should be chosen or ready as soon as the previous fortnight's has closed - it'll keep momentum up.

The trouble with the random generator is that some people might only check the boards once every few days or weeks, and might mostly be lurkers who don't care.

Can we nominate someone to choose a theme for this fortnight's challenge and set a closing date of 4th May (two weeks tomorrow)?

Once that's been done I will post the log in details and people can get going.
:)
Yay, great job Mimi.
Aye it will be Grim who choses the next theme. Hopefully I can get my ideas done and posted this time.
No, I think it was decided against letting the 'winner' as it were choose the theme - I think a random person is supposed to nominate a theme, but I have PM'd Grim... to ask him to set the generator in action.
Also, the Picasa Web sign-in details are below:
Mimi wrote:
No, I think it was decided against letting the 'winner' as it were choose the theme - I think a random person is supposed to nominate a theme, but I have PM'd Grim... to ask him to set the generator in action.

I must have missed where that was talked about?

Excellent image with details Image
Mimi wrote:
Also, the Picasa Web sign-in details are below: ....

I have an almost infinite love for that picture you posted there, Mimi. ALL BETEO SHORT MESSAGES OF IMPORTANCE SHOULD NOW UTILISE IT.
Shewolf wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I must have missed where that was talked about?

Here, shewolf.

Thanks, nervousPete :hat:
Aha.
And yes, we need to use that image for all things of importance.
Page 1 of 1 [ 42 posts ]