Chess
Wasn't it good, wasn't he fine
Well, yeah, that too.
Zaphod is humiliating me so far.
Craster wrote:

I just forgot how to defend Fool's Mate properly, and it cost me a bishop.

Oops.

More annoyingly, I spotted it just as I hit 'Submit', but there's no 'Undo Move' button.

:(
Curiosity wrote:
Craster wrote:

I just forgot how to defend Fool's Mate properly, and it cost me a bishop.

Oops.

More annoyingly, I spotted it just as I hit 'Submit', but there's no 'Undo Move' button.

:(

Yeah well you get the bishop back but lose a pawn - if its suppose to be 'with friends' i think there should be an undo and i'd have let you take that back.
Could you not have forgotten how against me?
Craster wrote:

Queen Rampage :-)
zaphod79 wrote:
Craster wrote:

Queen Rampage :-)

Is that Craster's new nickname?
After some silly errors on both sides, I have vanquished Craster.
That was a great little game.
I am on there as mistercraig if anyone wants a game.
Craig wrote:
I am on there as mistercraig if anyone wants a game.

Are you sure? It can't find you...
Yep definitely mistercraig .
Craig wrote:
Yep definitely mistercraig .

Do you mean Iphone / Chess with Friends or one of the previous ones mentioned in the thread ?

(Chess with friends just tells me theres no such user)
Oh yes I meant GamesKnot, sorry. I guess you can only use chess with friends if you have a phone?
Craig wrote:
I guess you can only use chess with friends if you have a phone?

Iphone / Ipad / Ipod touch

http://newtoyinc.com/wp/chess-with-friends/

I'm sure Mr Chris , Grim... and Gaywood were playing on Gamesknot before.
Chess with Friends looks very dinky. Why can't they make these Apps work on a normal Mac?
Craig wrote:
Chess with Friends looks very dinky. Why can't they make these Apps work on a normal Mac?

Multi-touch would be the main issue, I suspect.
Grim... wrote:
Craig wrote:

Multi-touch would be the main issue, I suspect.

Yeah but it doesnt exactly use multi touch you select what you want to move and where you want to move it to - thats it.

I cant see why you would get a similar little simple 'play online' chess app for any other OS

(all it needs to know are the rules you dont need any AI in there)
i have chess with friends too, probalby romanista, but can't check now, as smartphone is under repair..

anyone play 'Go'? there's Tesuki for the iphone which lets you play on igs..
Apologies to the people i'm playing at the moment but my Iphone cant connect to any network :-(

I'll reset it tonight so can continue then.
zaphod79 wrote:
Apologies to the people i'm playing at the moment but my Iphone cant connect to any network :-(

I'll reset it tonight so can continue then.

Excuses...
Currently having a great and very even series of matches with zaphod79.

The score is 2.5 - 2.5, with both players having won as white and both having won as black. The remaining game was drawn with zaphod as white, so it's now my turn and we're playing a variation on the Queen's Gambit.

Fun times!
Some very close games so far - you missed out that I turned down a draw in the last one I lost , and in the last game I won after being down a Knight very early on.

This one has just taken a turn for the weird :-)

And my game with MrCraster last had a move made 6 days ago - I do wonder if the previous game scared him off :

6 moves in (I'm white)
Machines change the way we play chess

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11259419

Quote:
Thousands of years old, transcending geographical boundaries and cultures, the game of chess is still evolving and new technologies are aiding that progression.

Simon Terrington has made a documentary called Seeking the Endgame for BBC World Service about the technical and cultural changes in the game. "I have been a keen chess player since I was very young. My dad taught me to play chess.

"Back then you would go to your local chess club and there were three people available to play.

"Now you go online and there's around 20,000 people, they all have a numerical grading and you can compare your games in a database for every match played for the last 500," he explained on Outriders on BBC Radio 5 live.

"You can analyse it with a computer that can beat the world champion and give you tips on how to improve. So standards have really been transformed."

Telecommunications and online gaming has divided the chess community. Some still believe that the only way to play is face to face and that the psychology of the game involves two people in the same place.

Alternatively there is a larger and still growing community that loves to play online for the sake of convenience, for international social aspects and style of game play.

Mr Terrington explained: "You can compare it with how the culture surrounding poker has changed.

"There are more younger players now in both cases and I think it is technology that is driving this. Magnus Carlsen who was until recently ranked number one in the world is only 19 years old."

Chess seems to appeal to computer developers because the specification of the game does not change.

Indeed computers appear to be very adept at game play too.

"They've done very well. Many people thought 10 or 20 years ago that computers were never going to be that good," Mr Terrington said.

"The moment when Gary Kasparov lost to the computer known as Deep Blue was a big moment for the chess community and quite a shocking one for him.

"When the Hydra computer beat Michael Adams, one of the best chess players in the world, five and a half to a half, we realised that these computers were contenders.

"Kasparov suspected that a human was helping Deeper Blue because it was thinking so strategically - but the question there is what human could help a computer to beat Kasparov when he is the best in the world?"

There are different schools of thought when it comes to intelligent machines playing chess.

Some believe that computers have advanced in order to play the game at a far higher standard. On the other hand, some think that if these machines can successfully compete, it might imply that chess is a trivial game.

"Kasparov would say that chess is idealised psychological warfare," said Mr Terrington.

"For him it is all about being human. But psychological warfare doesn't work with computers.

"There are more mathematical players like Vladimir Kramnik or the current world champion Viswanathan Anand.

"They play the pieces rather than the person but they still admit that there is still a competitive human dynamic.

"I think it is definitely about what it is to be human because it is the mistakes that can be exploited that give the beauty and the genius and the surprise in the game."
Oh dear :-(

Attachment:
Picture 002.png

I *think* I can remember my moves if we want to go back to where we were as we had only made about 5 moves each and i was already a knight down.
Oldest ever thread necromancy?

I've joined my local Chess club, partly as a way to get the old noggin working and partly as a way to actually talk to people in the flesh after two years of most of my interactions being talking to people over zoom. Chess club happens on a Wednesday, which has lead to the nerdiest calendar clash ever, as i have to choose between my D&D group, Chess Club and my *other* D&D Group.

I'm no good but I've been playing a bit on Chess.com, which is good for practice and also for being matched against loons playing the "instant queen attack" method. Read a bit about openings, practiced some end games and can actually feel myself getting better, which is really awesome.

No real point to this post, but just interested if anyone else plays / fancies playing?
Squirt wrote:

Not that again ;)
Squirt wrote:

I've joined my local Chess club, partly as a way to get the old noggin working and partly as a way to actually talk to people in the flesh after two years of most of my interactions being talking to people over zoom. Chess club happens on a Wednesday, which has lead to the nerdiest calendar clash ever, as i have to choose between my D&D group, Chess Club and my *other* D&D Group.

I'm no good but I've been playing a bit on Chess.com, which is good for practice and also for being matched against loons playing the "instant queen attack" method. Read a bit about openings, practiced some end games and can actually feel myself getting better, which is really awesome.

No real point to this post, but just interested if anyone else plays / fancies playing?

Is this because chess doesn't require you to roll any dice?
Squirt wrote:
Wednesday, which has lead to the nerdiest calendar clash ever, as i have to choose between my D&D group, Chess Club and my *other* D&D Group.

Does your geology group know about this?
My chess level is ‘I know how all the pieces move’ and when I do play I enjoy it.
:this:

My main issue with chess is that I'm fundamentally incapable of planning ahead.
I've been playing chess with Darwin on and off and he's at the stage where he knows that he needs to attack the king to win, but mostly enjoys just taking as many pieces as possible.
Nothing like attending a chess club meet to show what a long, long way you still have to go!
Was everyone you met nice?
Squirt wrote:
Nothing like attending a chess club meet to show what a long, long way you still have to go!

I'm guessing no Netflix show for you then!
Squirt wrote:

Were they welcoming to newbies?

I attended a local badminton club for a few sessions (I think 2 or 3) and after the last one, the guy that ran the club literally took me to one side and told me that I wasn't welcome any more because I was so crap.
GazChap wrote:
Squirt wrote:

I attended a local badminton club for a few sessions (I think 2 or 3) and after the last one, the guy that ran the club literally took me to one side and told me that I wasn't welcome any more because I was so crap.

What a twat. I hope his sport dies.
Mimi wrote:

Yes! Although they were mostly middle-aged guys meeting in the back room of a pub so I basically slotted right in.
Trooper wrote:
Squirt wrote:

I’d love to watch ‘The Queen’s Squirt’.
Squirt wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Yes! Although they were mostly middle-aged guys meeting in the back room of a pub so I basically slotted right in.

That’s really positive then, and if they’re all really good your game will improve just meeting with them. Will you make it a regular thing? I hope you have an amazing time :luv:
GazChap wrote:
Squirt wrote:

That’s incredibly uncomfortable feeling. If they miss out on opportunities at helping any new people improve their game then their group will eventually dwindle to nothing. Were you able to find a new group or did it put you off? I hope it didn’t put you off but at the same time I know I’d be devastated.
It put me off. I'd still be open to giving it another go, but I can't imagine there's many opportunities for it around here, and I threw out my racquet last time I had a clear out.

I can kinda see their point - my hand/eye co-ordination was so terrible (which is unusual for me, it's normally ace) that I just kept missing the shuttlecock entirely and it completely destroys the rhythm and pace of the game, which isn't very fair if my opponent is experienced and wants a decent game.

They could have offered advice or something though.
GazChap wrote:
It put me off. I'd still be open to giving it another go, but I can't imagine there's many opportunities for it around here, and I threw out my racquet last time I had a clear out.

I can kinda see their point - my hand/eye co-ordination was so terrible (which is unusual for me, it's normally ace) that I just kept missing the shuttlecock entirely and it completely destroys the rhythm and pace of the game, which isn't very fair if my opponent is experienced and wants a decent game.

They could have offered advice or something though.

Yeah, that really sucks. I've known a few groups that seem to pride themselves in how few beginners they retain, like it's some sort of mark of how tough they are and how high their standards are. Well done chaps, someone wanted to turn up and give you 5 quid a week to join in and you've convinced them to go somewhere else.
GazChap wrote:
Squirt wrote:

That is terrible
I’m sure they could have bought you in on a few doubles matches or something. The thing is, if they were more open they’d have more beginners, and those beginners could play against each other, and double up against a more experienced player for tips and advice, etc. I’m sure they could have handled that a bit more inclusively.
Squirt, have you managed to hit the pieces ok?
Squirt wrote:

Yeah, that really sucks. I've known a few groups that seem to pride themselves in how few beginners they retain,

Welcome to BEEX.

POW!

KovacsC wrote:

That is terrible

Joking aside, it does come across as really mean spirited when people are snooty and unwelcoming like that. I had something very similar once when I went with a friend to football training as a teen - it really knocked me, and put me off organised sports for a long time. But once I did find my level, and a decent bunch of welcoming and supportive guys, it was so much better and really good fun. I hope one day Gazchap finds a better badminton bunch
Try a goodminton group instead
Zardoz wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Squirt wrote:

I’d love to watch ‘The Queen’s Squirt’.

wait, what 8)
The unexpected Director's Cut version of Bohemian Rhapsody
Page 3 of 3 [ 150 posts ]