Draw me a map
and I'll give you £30
Hello!
Eight years ago, a good graphics designer chum drew me this:
Attachment:
map[1].jpg

For eight years, it served me well, letting over 1,000,000 Little Savages run around on it. However it's just too small.
I should say now that I know £30 is an insult, but that's what's in the LSav kitty at the moment.
Anyway, the new map doesn't have to be as detailed, but some trees and maybe mountains and stuff would be nice, and maybe several 'small' things (like, I don't know, a black monolith, a fountain, beach, whatever).
The thing is, it has to be big. I've mocked up an image so I could get the hang of Custom Mapping using the GoogleMaps API (conclusion: some odd decisions, but it seems okay) and figured out that it has to be 16,384x16,384 pixels big, with a scale of approximatly one meter per 5 pixels.
It sounds like an idiotic job, but I don't think it would be too bad. It doesn't need masses of variety (so drawing five different trees and then just using them as a brush to make a forest would be fine), but it would be nice if different areas had some personality, so people could say, for instance, "I'm near big curve in the river" or "I'm just south of the mountains".
So anyway, there it is.
I can't do it myself because I'm rubbish at drawing - I know there are some great Photoshop tutorials about drawing terrain, but I still can't draw trees or mountains or rocks and stuff.
Unless someone knows of a terrain generator that can do top-down stuff 16,000 pixels big (because I can't find one).

Obviously, a bunch of you will have worked out that I'm doing something I said I'd never do. Don't tell anyone.

Geek note: That map I've linked to uses 5,462 separate 256x256 tiles, around 150meg in total. Wowsers!
I'll do it!

Er do you want a few people to do a map or just one?
Why would I want a few people to do it?
Mind you, if people want to submit little things to go on it, that would be great.
BAGS I THE MONOLITH!
I meant to say, are you after a variety of maps from people so you can pick your fave.
I can do you one if it can involve a jetty, guns and zombies.
Zardoz wrote:
I meant to say, are you after a variety of maps from people so you can pick your fave.

Nah, but I reserve the right to tell you your map is shit if it's shit ;)

Here's a monolith for you to put on it!

Attachment:
monolith.png

It could do with some monkey bones nearby.
Grim... wrote:
Nah, but I reserve the right to tell you your map is shit if it's shit ;)

For 30 quid you can talk as dirty as you want baby.

That's a shit monolith btw.
Best I could do is a top down 3d render. Bits would have to be added.
I know it's a shit monolith. Make it better, yeah (edit - oh, you have ;))?

Oh, for an idea of scale, here is a Little Savage:
How soon do you need this Grim...?
Not massively soon. Before the end of April? Although if you could get me a rough one so I can say "WTF no" at you sooner, that would be cool ;)

Oh, also, my linked map has far too much sea around the edge - that's bad.
Reet-o

*sends whippet down to paint shop*
Here's the very early beginning of a giant Grim... 'Creator' statue, if you want one!

I wondered where my hood ornament had gone.
Bank account says not.
I've hunted everywhere for a suitable map, Duds, but they don't seem to exist. That one is far too small.
Image - Resize....

*runs*
What is Little Savages?

I am this: intrigued.
Er, it's a tricky one to describe. Someone once summed it up as "Sim Tribal Wars meets Tamagochi", which fits quite well. Basically, create a tribe of imaginary people, and see if they survive.
Have a go. (Starting hints are here).
Ah, so. No thanks, cheers all the same.

My only contribution to this thread is to say I used to be addicted to drawing maps of fictitious worlds. Drawing maps and writing histories about the races of people and civilisations that populated them. It was a hobby of sorts.

Looking back, I'm quite proud of some of them. I couldn't be bothered now.
I love Sir Hugh.

I love maps.

I love lamp.
Sir Hugh wrote:
What is Little Savages?

I am this: intrigued.

It's a game where you indirectly control a number of characters and amass points, all the while praying that the server/code doesn't break again. :DD :DD :DD
Dimrill wrote:
I love lamp.

799 bananas.
I want to go to Crandia on my holidays.

I also love maps. And graphs.

Upside down world map is awesome
DavPaz wrote:
I want to go to Crandia on my holidays.

Just so long as you stay away from my Pirate Parts.
Z's work is complete - this Little Savage is sightseeing.

Who can find Burttank?
That's awesome. Good crashed alien spaceship and monolith.
Excellent work. I can't find Burttank, but I've found the flying saucer. :)

How did you Googlify it?
myp wrote:
Excellent work. I can't find Burttank, but I've found the flying saucer. :)

How did you Googlify it?

If you really want to know, I'll tell you. It involves chopping the original (huge) image up into 5,462 correctly-named 256x256 chunks, and then explaining to Google how you want it to display them.

Put simply, it's an arse.
Like the forest of Z , the submarine , the Woot , the chalk man , and is that really a bikini attoll ?
and i've found burt :-)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
zaphod79 wrote:
Like the forest of Z, [...] the Woot, [...] and is that really a bikini attoll ?

The what?
I've found a whirl pool and water dinosaurs.
oh theres loads. And a big huge one.
Grim... wrote:
The what?

Forest of Z :

Woot :
Anyone found Grim... riding the Gaywoodcorn?

...only joking....or am I?.... etc
@Dimrill :DD I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!

Hehe I watch that almost every night when I'm going to sleep.

You ate a whole wheel of cheese? I'm not even mad,I'm impressed!
superdupergill wrote:
@Dimrill :DD I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!

Hehe I watch that almost every night when I'm going to sleep.

You ate a whole wheel of cheese? I'm not even mad,I'm impressed!

WTF is :this:

I hope your not muscling in on mine and Myps broads!
You're just envious because you don't have invitations to the pants party.
Any chance of getting Street View working with this?
That would be spectacularly awesome. I suspect not though - because you'd have to draw several thousand 'photos'.
SkyKid wrote:
Any chance of getting Street View working with this?

No, they haven't done custom Street View maps yet. And Z-funk hasn't got time to draw all the required images.
Page 1 of 2 [ 66 posts ]