The London Snickers Race 2008
Although we don't know where Comical Games came yet, someone did snap this picture of him halfway through:

BBC wrote:
Some runners had faced a slight diversion to the route following a suspected gas leak near Canary Wharf.

So he got that far at least.
\
During the war...
Did that Buster bloke (the 101 year old) finish? By which I mean finish the race, not expire. I can't find any info about it anywhere.
He's 101!?! He looks about 70 - he's doing well for himself!
Yes, he's also dead.

(1999, aged 78)
Mimi wrote:
Yes, he's also dead.

(1999, aged 78)

so we have a zombie invasion of the marathon!?
Confused now - who is/was he then?
Hold on!

is that the guy that works in B&Q?
No, Mimi, that's a real 101 year old who works at a plumber's in Vauxhall!!!
Yes, I had just edited it - I thought he worked in Homebase or something - I saw him on TV last year some time.

Ignore me - I am confuddling him with somebody else :)
H?Ave you been at the raspberry beer agaqi8h?nkjn
Is Chris Jr helping you to type? :P
Shhh I was doing a Mimi impression.

Chris Junoir just opens the DVD drive and giggles.
Whomper wrote:
Did that Buster bloke (the 101 year old) finish? By which I mean finish the race, not expire. I can't find any info about it anywhere.

Perhaps he did what a certain TV presenter who likes to fix things and who never went near that childrens home does.

Yes, it's claimed that this man likes to run the first few miles, makes a detour, gets picked up and then is dropped off a mile or so before the end of the race (with careful timing of course).

Jangle jangle.
Has Comical Gnome finished yet?
If he's anything like Mrs Chris was after finishing her first marathon, he'll be trying to work out how his toenails all fell off.
Your toenails fell off :?: :!:
I was probably never going to run a marathon anyway, but now that I know I might end up without my lovely toenails, it sounds less appealing than ever.

Or was Mrs Chris also attacked on the way round and/or run over?
Was it a particularly cold April that year? Did you lose them to frostbite? :spew:
Yep, her toenails fell off*. She went to a foot doctor afterwards and apparently this is common with people who run marathons. The average person's body can cope with the 10, 15 and one or two 20 mile runs you do in training, but 26 miles is beyond what your body's designed for, and so bits come off or get sore.

*They grew back though, so it all ended happily for the toes.
I'm alive, I finished, and my legs hurt :)

Unfortunately I now have to go and pick up the dog from the place where we left him for the weekend (in the bins round the back of Argos) so I'll be back in a bit to provide more details. Official time was 5:59:37. Never said I was fast at this ;)

Much love to those who sponsored me, if you haven't given me your address for a t-shirt, gimmie now and I'll post them out tomorrow, assuming my legs work by then.
Well done Mr Gnomes!

Would it hurt your pride if I told you Mrs Chris did it in 4 hours? ;-)

I've never run a marathon, so I can't talk, mind.

BTW - who were you being sponsored for?
Assuming Mrs Chris isn't a fat tub such as I, then truly I won't hold it against her ;)

I'm yet to look at my GPS watch to see how much of that time was me running, and how much was me standing in the toilet queues. Toilet provision was bloody awful.

I was running for the Anthony Nolan Trust :)

For addition fun for anyone that cares here is the official breakdown.

I bought a star bar yesterday which I will shortly eat.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
Assuming Mrs Chris isn't a fat tub such as I, then truly I won't hold it against her ;)

I'm yet to look at my GPS watch to see how much of that time was me running, and how much was me standing in the toilet queues. Toilet provision was bloody awful.

Didn't you see that woman the other year? You just piss as you run.

Or piss in a cup and throw it into the crowd.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Or piss in a cup and throw it into the crowd.

Bonus points if it's a mooncup. And you throw it at Dimrill. :spew:
You came 32,443rd! Well done :)

Seriously though - well done
Well done Comical Gnomes! Did you beat the Masai Warriors? They had spears so I wouldn't have messed with them too much! I just checked that site and my boss finished in 3:49:09, I'm sure he'll be bragging about it tomrrow when I see him.
Cheers chaps. Given I'm one of the lardy bastard variety who until recently had never run ever, I'm going to take 'finishing' as a decent victory. In the event I apply to do this madness again I'll have a good chance of being a fair bit faster :)
ComicalGnomes wrote:
until recently had never run ever

When's 'recently'?
You may be a lardy bastard, but you just travelled 26 miles under your own steam. That's at least one up over me; I can run a few miles at best, when I'm filled to the brim with sugar.

Well done, guy.
Congrats.

I live on the marathon route, and I didn't even manage to get out of bed before half ten...
Awesomely well done.
Grim... wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:
until recently had never run ever

When's 'recently'?

I think I went for my first plod in April 07 I think, in preparation for a 10k that July. After that I sat on my arse until October and then did a few runs before going mental in December and running my bollocks off until yesterday, :)
Well done Comical. Would you do it again?
ComicalGnomes wrote:
I think I went for my first plod in April 07 I think, in preparation for a 10k that July. After that I sat on my arse until October and then did a few runs before going mental in December and running my bollocks off until yesterday, :)

Is running good for losing/preventing a bit of a gut?
Zardoz wrote:
Well done Comical. Would you do it again?

Quote:
Thank you for entering the Flora London Marathon 2009 online entry ballot.

You will find out if you have been successful when you receive either your Accepted or Rejected magazine in early October 2008.

I guess we'll see :hat:
nynfortoo wrote:

Most certainly. GPS reckons 3400+ calories burned yesterday. I can stuff my fat fucking face for a couple of days now without reproach.

Over the course of training I didn't lose too much weight but that's only because intense exercise gives you intense desire to eat a lot. I lost about half a stone, I'd say. You'd lose a lot more if you ran and then didn't stuff you face immediately afterwards.
nynfortoo wrote:
ComicalGnomes wrote:

It's a decent enough method of spending calories, yes. I tend to run three times a week, maybe 4 or 5 miles a time, and have done so for the last 5 years. It enables me to eat and drink like I've got an alcoholic tapeworm and get away with it.
Excellent stuff. I've been thinking of taking up running for a good few weeks now, and should really get round to actually, you know, the doing part. Must buy some running shoes.

I'm not overweight by any means, but I don't get enough exercise as I am right now. I used to cycle/walk to work, but now that would be a 50-mile round trip, so is obviously a no-go. But anyway, I've started developing a slight gut (eating crap doesn't help, either) and want to do something about it sooner rather than later.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, mind. Well done, once again, buddy.
*Looks on Amazon for Alcoholic tapeworms*
nynfortoo wrote:
Sorry for hijacking the thread, mind.

No worries, I'm happy to talk the balls off anyone thinking about taking up running. As someone who can barely move even after months of training I feel ideally placed to be motivational to those who are ultimately much fitter than me once they get going ;)
Over a grand in monies. Good work :)
I once cycled 26 miles ( on fairly flat ground, as well ) and was utterly knackered. Anyone who can run it counts as Super-fabbo-fitness in my book. Good show that man!
I used to do a 20ish mile round trip cycle to work every day while living in Brighton (and working in Worthing). I have stretch marks on my thighs due to crazy rapid muscle gain. Before starting doing this, I hadn't ridden a bike for 10 years! I wish I was still that fit, I must find my motivational head again. You're inspiring me Comical ;)
How did that go? I currently do about a 4 mile round trip on my bike ( infact, I might be able to manage 20 now...) fromLondon Bridge Station to my office. I could save myself about 50 quid a month by cycling a couple of zones out and getting the train from there, but that would make my trip about 15 miles round. How knackering is it?
Comical Games not 101 and caught smoking on the route shocka!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7346616.stm
Squirt wrote:
How did that go? I currently do about a 4 mile round trip on my bike ( infact, I might be able to manage 20 now...) from London Bridge Station to my office. I could save myself about 50 quid a month by cycling a couple of zones out and getting the train from there, but that would make my trip about 15 miles round. How knackering is it?

Depends on the terrain. Brighton to Worthing is piss easy, straight along the coast, completely flat. It's just sustained level stamina, so you can take it slow at first then gradually get faster (I nailed it in 45 mins at my best). It's not hard, you just need to get your fitness up. I say go for it, you'd be surprised how quick you get fitter when you push yourself, after 2-3 weeks of doing it, you'll be amazed at the difference.
Grim... wrote:
Over a grand in monies. Good work :)

There's more to come, a few people are yet to stump up their dues ?:|

Quote:
You're inspiring me Comical

That would be lovely if so :)
pupil wrote:
Squirt wrote:
How did that go? I currently do about a 4 mile round trip on my bike ( infact, I might be able to manage 20 now...) from London Bridge Station to my office. I could save myself about 50 quid a month by cycling a couple of zones out and getting the train from there, but that would make my trip about 15 miles round. How knackering is it?

Depends on the terrain. Brighton to Worthing is piss easy, straight along the coast, completely flat. It's just sustained level stamina, so you can take it slow at first then gradually get faster (I nailed it in 45 mins at my best). It's not hard, you just need to get your fitness up. I say go for it, you'd be surprised how quick you get fitter when you push yourself, after 2-3 weeks of doing it, you'll be amazed at the difference.

And with the right kind of bike as well. Being an 80's kid I prefer mountain bikes but I've been told they are harder work on roads.

Still, as everyone knows, racing bikes are for nancy boys and cool kids have mountain bikes so there's no choice really. Apart from road bikes, but they are for girls.
Page 1 of 3 [ 106 posts ]