The other place
Do we get mentioned over 'there'? Are we still know as the high-larious WoCUS?
Wisely Outcast Scum, more like.
Hmmm... Well if it is your webspace here it is better than being known as WoG...
Grim... wrote:

Not really. It's very quiet. There seem to be quite a few people who've disappeared from WoS and not ended up here, which is a shame.
Mimi wrote:
Hmmm... Well if it is your webspace here it is better than being known as WoG...

!!!
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Not really. It's very quiet. There seem to be quite a few people who've disappeared from WoS and not ended up here, which is a shame.

We've possibly lost a few people in the transition from the previous free forum to here. Signup rate isn't high.

We need new blood or this place will start to go stale.
Can CUS not look at the details of members of WoB and email them?
Well we do have regular WoS lurkers de-cloaking on here.

I'm sure more will follow.

"If we build it, they will come"
I really should start needling some of my friends to join this place.

I love those new smilies by the way. Kudos to Dimrill! :)
Zardoz wrote:
Well we do have regular WoS lurkers de-cloaking on here.

I'm sure more will follow.

"If we build it, they will come"

I think we're about 100 members down since the move though. IIRC the old place was about 260, we're at 160.
Not 260 ex-WoSers though. How many of those 260 just signed up for trolling purposes?
nervouspete wrote:

I love those new smilies by the way. Kudos to Dimrill! :)

Yep, the more I see them, the better they get. I might even start using some. :o
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Craster wrote:
Grim... wrote:

We've possibly lost a few people in the transition from the previous free forum to here. Signup rate isn't high.

We need to finish the 'site', then.
myoptika wrote:
Can CUS not look at the details of members of WoB and email them?

You are Cadmium Lemon and I claim my £5.

Also, some folks joined purely because they were non-WoS regulars who wanted to see if it was all going to kick off, of course. But mm, yes, more people are good. However, we're got a good number for the moment, whilst we're still getting going - and many plans and stuff are being worked out.

I've just noticed it's a month today or tomorrow, since the WoS exodus began. We've not done badly, all things considered, for time.
I like this place. Cheers, to everyone who made it happen.

We do need more Mr. Flack though.
Agreed sorting out the wall paper is one thing, but stocking the bar is another.

Perhaps we need some more fresh simple ideas?

EDIT: What I mean is content should give people reason to stay around and join and more reason for the google bots to suggest us to others.
Yes. What we need is some kind of thread where we propose creating excellent content here, for that very self-same purpose exactly indeed.
I have some Most Excellent Content (proposed new name!) in the works to share with everyone.

[edit]Maybe some targetted advertising? Ask the Game Theory Podcast for a plug, maybe?
We need threads about lots of fairly obscure things that nice people like. That way they'll stumble onto here and become trapped, forever.
markg wrote:
We need threads about lots of fairly obscure things that nice people like.

See the 'Special Offers' thread. Er, near the bottom. On the first page. The actual serious post. Yes!
We should have an into page like the scrolling text from Star Wars or the Original Battlestar Galactica intro telling people of our flight from an imploding homeworld and the setting up of our new home in the stars by a bunch a rag-tag ne'er-do-wells hell bent on keeping the spirit of Being Excellent To Each Other alive.

Or something.
I was thinking of it more like a pint pot buried in the flower border with a bit of beer in the bottom.
The Slug Trap, is a little old place where,
We can, Get Together!
Slug Trap! Baby Slug Trap!
Slug Trap! Baby Slug Trap!

I feel very musical today.
Tiiiiiiiin ROOF! Rusted.

Edit: Goddamn you Zardoz! Now I've got "I've got me a Titler, he's as big as a whale and he's about to set saaaaail!" running through my head over and over and over again.
Love Shack is one of my absolutely most favouritest songs ever. Although, I fucking hated it until only a few years ago. For not being rock and stuff. Ah, youth.
Early B-52s stuff rules with an Iron Fist.
As they're still going now, does that include the Flintstones Theme?
New B-52s album soon, and UK tour dates are on sale. Tickets are about £30 though, so I'll give it a miss.
Nope, because the Flintstones Theme was I think the last thing they released before their new album comes out some time now-ish.

I learned this month that the brunette one is 59 and a lesbian. Still totally would. There are some wonderful busty soft-focus pics in recent mags, advertising them. I happened to notice.
So, early, then?
Only if you agree that every Beatles song except for Free As A Bird and Real Love are their 'early' work.
CUS wrote:
I've just noticed it's a month today or tomorrow, since the WoS exodus began. We've not done badly, all things considered, for time.

This 'WoS Exodus' is a terrifying description. It's as if we're fleeing biblical style from several hundred thousand angry red-eyed RevStu clones, searching for home.
It's all kind of worked out quite well in the end, hasn't it? There's this place for a democratically-run free-for-all of excellent people, and there's Stu's dictatorship forum which, while now quieter, is still worth a read.
To be honest, I'll just chat with you lot on which ever site has the most traffic.

I feel no ties at all, really.
chinnyhill10 wrote:

I find the 'new' interface confusing, as it's different to the familiar one that most forums use. Which is why I was a bit slow to start posting. I also find dark grey text on light grey background hard to read (sometimes I resort to highlighting text, then Ctrl+click, then Start Speaking).
You do look remarkably like Charlie Brooker though (MA).
Anonymous X wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

I find the 'new' interface confusing, as it's different to the familiar one that most forums use.

How so? We are eager to fix things so are users are happier.
The only problem with changing the interface is that those people that have got used to it might get lost if we change it.

As for the text, we are aware of the problem, but we're waiting to get all the custom-code bits done before we change any stylesheets (for boring reasons).
CUS wrote:

Every time I see MA's sig I think of Private Pyle:
*looks at Dimrill, says absolutely nothing, not one single word, uh uh not him, no way, no.*
Grim... wrote:

Two problems. First of all every bugger seems to be creating threads about jack shit at the moment which means the decent topics get buried.

The second problem is to do with the above, topics are falling off the front page very quickly.

The signal to noise ratio is quite high at the moment compared to the old days, I'm just hoping it calms down or at least there is a way to restrain people from just posting shit.

Yes I'm grumpy today!
chinnyhill10 wrote:
signal to noise ratio

I am hereby registering my annoyance at this phrase. Thank you for your attention. :hat:
I don't even understand it, so I win!
CUS wrote:

<narrows eyes and makes notes...>
What we need is some kind of system whereby only the proper forumites who are good and supposed to be here, are allowed to make new threads. That'd stop stuff dropping off.

Also, I've been in a very funny mood for the last week, as I'm sure all have noticed, which I apologise for - this has lead to some odd new threads. Well, only about three. Ish.
As we are "Be Excellent to Each Other", surely the only "noise" could be people being un-excellent to another here? There's been very little of that, and far more excellence than one could hope for.

:munkeh:
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Two problems. First of all every bugger seems to be creating threads about jack shit at the moment which means the decent topics get buried.

The second problem is to do with the above, topics are falling off the front page very quickly.

The signal to noise ratio is quite high at the moment compared to the old days, I'm just hoping it calms down or at least there is a way to restrain people from just posting shit.

Yes I'm grumpy today!

pedant mode: The S/N ratio is low at the minute.

Urgh, sorry about that. But yeah I agree, to be brutally honest I think people were quite careful and reserved around the Rev and didn't piss about and would always think hard about making a thread because the Rev would have been the Rev about it. Threads had to have a proper topic an all.

Now the shackles of we've all been messing about like kids when their parents are out. Which is fair enough really, but of course makes the S/N lower. Hopefully we'll all calm down soon.

Oh and I'm as guilty as anyone.
I see what you're saying up to a point but I don't think the aim should be to recreate WoS without Stu, WoS is, after all still there for anyone who wants that.
I nominate Lave as official BETEO/BEEX Voice of Reason. Especially since that overrated Anthony Flack hates us all now and wishes we were dead from the worst diseases. Hoorah for Lave!

edit: with markg as Executive VP of Reason.
markg wrote:
I see what you're saying up to a point but I don't think the aim should be to recreate WoS without Stu, WoS is, after all still there for anyone who wants that.

Very true. With the exception that they can't make a thread about something there anymore without paying and at the same time they can't make a "slow" thread about an obscure topic here without it being knocked out of sight quickly.

I think it will all work out, and worse case, if it doesn't we could always break the forum into a 'disposable' and 'interesting minutia' boards. But I doubt we'll need that.

CUS wrote:
I nominate Lave as official BETEO/BEEX Voice of Reason. Especially since that overrated Anthony Flack hates us all now and wishes we were dead from the worst diseases. Hoorah for Lave!

edit: with markg as Executive VP of Reason.

Ah man.
*looks at smilies*
Ah, we don't have a 'embarresed/honoured' one. Oh well I'll go with this:
:hat:
Page 1 of 4 [ 175 posts ]