Camcorder Woes
I've got a Sony (shocker) MiniDV camera, and it's ever so good - but sometimes I get grey horizontal bars across the screen when I'm playing the video back, or square mosaic-style artifacts. Does it need the head cleaning, or is there a more pressing problem?

I'll post a video example at about 11pm.
Grim... wrote:
I've got a Sony (shocker) MiniDV camera, and it's ever so good - but sometimes I get grey horizontal bars across the screen when I'm playing the video back, or square mosaic-style artifacts. Does it need the head cleaning, or is there a more pressing problem?

I'll post a video example at about 11pm.

Head cleaning.

These people are my usual supplier for tapes and they have head cleaners.

http://www.tapesuk.co.uk/acatalog/Head_Cleaning_Tapes.html

Clean the heads and then stick to using one brand of DV tape, prefrably Sony.

Tapes UK have Sony Mini DV tapes for £1.40 each + VAT so there is no excuse. Mixing brands is a surefire way to ensure head troubles. Stick to the Sony, only every let the Sony tapes near the camera and you'll be fine.

How many hours have you put on the heads out of interest?
Thanks for the advice, Chinny. How many hours have I put through? Hmm - about 60? Maybe more?
Would the damage have been done going on or coming off the tape? In other words, if I use the head cleaner, will I be able the play the tapes without any problems?
Grim... wrote:
Thanks for the advice, Chinny. How many hours have I put through? Hmm - about 60? Maybe more?

That seems reasonable for domestic kit.
Grim... wrote:
Would the damage have been done going on or coming off the tape? In other words, if I use the head cleaner, will I be able the play the tapes without any problems?

Depends, It can happen at the time of recording, it can happen at playback.

Odd that the camera didn't flag a problem. Many cameras indicate the heads need cleaning when the error rate is too high.
I could do with my head cleaning! It has cheese! :p

Jeez I'm so so so wrong! :DD
Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]