Spotify - Free music streaming thingy
Beta sign up within
Nope. I can subscribe to your stuff, but that's it.
errrrrrrrrrrr... I've no idea then?
Well, the new features are nice, it'll be cool to easily suggest tracks to friends and stuff, that's really useful. Local files/Gracenote integration is a good idea but they need to improve how local files are played through spotify as, atm, you can't play your locally stored albums in their correct track order, it just plays their tracks alphabetically, which is useless. Hopefully they'll add his soon.
pupil wrote:
atm, you can't play your locally stored albums in their correct track order, it just plays their tracks alphabetically, which is useless. Hopefully they'll add his soon.

You can, but only straight after you import them (ie, when they're in the "this is what you've imported" list) :S
pupil wrote:
...you can't play your locally stored albums in their correct track order, it just plays their tracks alphabetically, which is useless.

Wow, it's like Guitar Hero.

I'm assuming I can't take advantage of any of these social features without a Facebook account?
Grim... wrote:
pupil wrote:
atm, you can't play your locally stored albums in their correct track order, it just plays their tracks alphabetically, which is useless. Hopefully they'll add his soon.

You can, but only straight after you import them (ie, when they're in the "this is what you've imported" list) :S

I must have missed that?!
Malabar Front wrote:
pupil wrote:
...you can't play your locally stored albums in their correct track order, it just plays their tracks alphabetically, which is useless.

Wow, it's like Guitar Hero.

I'm assuming I can't take advantage of any of these social features without a Facebook account?

No, that just links spotify to your facebook and auto-imports your friends who have also done the same, nothing more really. It's just a quicker way of adding mates. You can do all of the social stuff without facebook, no probs.
Malabar Front wrote:

Nah, just search for spotify:user:[USERNAME] to find the stuff you want.
pupil wrote:
Malabar Front wrote:

No, that just links spotify to your facebook and auto-imports your friends who have also done the same, nothing more really. It's just a quicker way of adding mates. You can do all of the social stuff without facebook, no probs.

Ah, good, I'll have a play around. Ta.
My username is Runcle if anyone wants to add me.
"User Runcle has not enabled Spotify social."
Grim... wrote:

It says that on all of your profiles for me.

edit: no it doesn't, but it takes a minute or two to actually bother checking.
Grim... wrote:

Something's knackered with your Spotify, Grim..., I just added Runcle no problem.
pupil wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Something's knackered with your Spotify, Grim..., I just added Runcle no problem.

I've added Grim... fine. So, erm, inconclusive.
I've added him now.
A sort of vague "click on the 'you might like this' link" session has inadvertently lead me into some horrific never-ending loop of "Kidz Sing the Hits!" albums. I never realised they made so many. No matter what your favourite song is, some one has taken a bunch of eleven year olds and stripped it of any passion and emotion.
I'm Jonarob. My girlfriend has completely fucked up my "most played" lists with Laura Marling and Disney songs, though. And you can't reset it.
My crazy Spotify can't even find a Jonarob. I'll try again next week.
I'm going to leave a bunch of cool songs on repeat overnight before I add anyone so that I don't look like that nerd that I really am.
A few years back I was involved with a proper full time radio station. One of the things I used to look after was a 3 hour show on Sunday afternoons that played non-stop music from the 60's, 70's and 80's.

The problem was that it had become abit bland, so I took it over and ensured the computer had lots of good tunes to pick from. Good listening for a Sunday afternoon with some tunes you wouldn't hear anywhere else on the commercial dial.

Yesterday I found my old Selector log that listed all the songs. So I knocked together a Spotify playlist using some of them:

http://open.spotify.com/user/chinnyhill ... ibV85Un8h3

Annoyingly Spotify doesn't always have the correct versions of songs but it's not a bad list. Sounded better on-air with the production and processing natch.
I can find Jonarob. Grim.. hasn't enabled social features according to my search.
Try jonarob without a capital J, that should work! Or even better:

http://open.spotify.com/user/jonarob
Also, I've left Spotify playing one of my playlists for three days solid now in an attempt to knock the rubbish-y songs out of my most played list, and it hasn't changed. Either it's broken, or my girlfriend really listens to a lot of fucking Disney songs.
Doesn't Spotify work on some p2p thingy under the hood? Changes ti users might need to "propogate" or something.
Posting on another forum revelaed some other Spotify-esque sites that are apparently 'better'.

One of them was called (I think) 'Grooveshark', and tehre was another too that I forget the name of.

What is the perceived Beex wisdom on that?
"Better" or not, it's like saying a Zune is better than an iPod, or Linux is better than Windows. It may well have more functionality or whatever, but the masses have latched onto this one and therefore you're best sticking with it because you're going to be compatible with more people and able to make the most out of it because everyone else is using it as well.
Fuck the masses. I might be on my own here, but I tend to listen to music for myself & find the best way to make the most out of it is to stick it right up inside my ear-holes regardless of what other folk are doing.
True, however I tend to discover music through others so there is something to be said for a thing that lets me hear what people who have similar tastes are listening to. But since we're talking about free services you can just use them all anyway.
Well in that case just go back to your mp3 player and downloading whatever albums you want :P The whole point of Spotify is the social "share with people" side of it. I mean, obviously there's the instant streaming, but it's playlists and stuff that really makes it.
I liked the old days better when you'd get a phonecall saying "Mate, you have to come over & listen to this!" (it still happens, it's just much rarer these days) & walking into a record shop to be greeted by one of the assistants who's found something they think you'll like never gets dull.

Sharing music via online shite's much less fun & despite what they say it's much less sociable.
I fear that isn't the online world so much as just getting old. I mean you tend to spend more time hanging out with friends and listening to music when you're a kid. Apart from the record shop thing, obviously.
Neither of those scenarios have ever happened to me, though.
markg wrote:
I fear that isn't the online world so much as just getting old. I mean you tend to spend more time hanging out with friends and listening to music when you're a kid. Apart from the record shop thing, obviously.
Aye, but a large proportion of my pals are anoraks/DJs, musicians & music lovers. As I said it still happens, but due to work/relationships/kids/other it's more infrequent.

Spotify's a crap substitute, even email's a bit more personal.

@Jonarob, you've never lived :D
@jonarob - you've never hung about with friends?
My friends are all morons, musically. I discovered everything I like on my own using the internets, TV and the press.
I actually discovered a good proportion of the music I like through skateboard videos, still do really.
Hey Jonarob! You'll like this
ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Winkies in your face.
markg wrote:
I actually discovered a good proportion of the music I like through skateboard videos, still do really.
That's a good point actually, Panic/Blueprint's "A Mixed Media" still has one of my favourite soundtracks. Although my favourite bit of music to ever appear in skate/bmx videos is still this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BRb7-gOsXE It even made an amazingly dull Volcom pool skating video enjoyable for a few minutes :DD
Jesus fuck! If you mute the ads, it pauses them! Even if the mute is the whole PC! Cunts! CUNTS!
Well, isn't that fair enough? Why shouldn't you listen to them if it helps keep the service free?
Although I don't know how annoying they are, in fairness, as I pay happily pay 30p a day for the best music service on the Internet*.

*I should get commission ;)
Well, the alternative is I just take the headphones out. Plus, they know we don't listen to the fucking things, so forcing a pause on it if you mute does fuck all - if I'm going to mute the to avoid them, I'm not the sort of person to listen to the fucking things if I have to keep the volume on. They're wasting everyone's time.
Just got the update today so I've been through and added as many of yers as it would let me -- I'm stuaa on there.
Add me, dudes! (scarysheep)

It seems to have added jonarob and Grim... via Facebook. So that's good.

I do subscribe but it's not to avoid the ads - it's so I can use it on the "go" on my phone. Best thing ever.
Hooray!

BeexMrChris, as it happens.
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
they know we don't listen to the fucking things

They're either for something totally incongruous to what you're enjoying - pop idol shite amidst Bach (which utterly fucks it) or they're the same "Hi, this is person who should never be allowed to voice an ad from Spotify to talk about something you've just started to ignore" thing every three songs for the full two hours I'm listening to tunes.

I'd welcome and pay attention to the adds as an essential part of the free service were it not for their repetitive/inappropriateness. As it stands I use the thing less as a result, which makes me less likely to subscribe. Even then, subscribing wouldn't prevent it playing the first three seconds then buffering for five minutes even when things like torrents and youtube are running fine.
Hmm. I don't hear the adds so I can't comment, but the speed at which it can play music is voodoo - even across a 3G network. I've never known it stop to buffer before.
Latest awesome use for Spotify for me, iPhone jukebox in the kitchen via the Spotify iPhone app.

I like to do a bit of cooking at the weekend and therefore spend a few hours in the kitchen, and one must have tunes whilst one cooks. We've got an old AIWA midi hi-fi system in there (twin tape, radio, 3-CD changer, you remember the type of thing), which up to now I've manually fed CDs into, which is a total fucking pain in the arse as it's sat on top of the fridge-freezer. It was bad enough with the old fridge-freezer (quite high up you see), but we got a new fridge-freezer a few weeks ago which is comfortably taller than me, so changing the CDs now is a 'stand on a chair' sort of arrangement - hence I always just end up listening to the same CDs as I can't be arsed to change them.

The hi-fi has an AUX-in via two phono sockets so I was toying with the idea of getting a netbook or cheap laptop to connect up via a 3.5mm jack to two phono plugs, to stream music either from the NAS or Spotify.

However, it then occurred to me that I already have Spotify in iPhone form, and of course the iPhone has a 3.5mm socket on it, so I dug out an old lead from a box I've never fully unpacked since we moved here over three years ago, and connected the iPhone up.

Et voila! Pretty much all the music in the world is just a couple of taps away, the iPhone uses the wireless in the house so response is really quick, never had any problems with stuttering or buffering - just excellent tunes aplenty as I cook. It uses all my same favourites and playlists from the desktop app (I guess all that stuff is out in the 'cloud'), sound quality is excellent (indiscernible from a CD), and no more faffing about with CDs.

It's actually easier and more convenient than streaming from the NAS would be, and I don't have to have a netbook or laptop in the kitchen either.

For the money, Spotify Premium is absolutely a total no-brainer in my book - wouldn't be without it now.
Page 4 of 12 [ 573 posts ]