Official BETEO Forza Race Club of Gentlemen
FM3! 14/04/10! 9.30!
Rioja bottle opened to allow aeration to take place.
Big fat ripe bifta* rolled up and ready to go, matches at standby. Erm. *waves it in the air a bit to allow it to breathe or something*

*picks up can of Cider and sloshes it about a bit, looking uncertain*

* I have never said this and never will.
Hello, I'm readyinsh... online at half past.
Well, I have to say I really enjoyed that, after 2 days of feeling really depressed for personal reasons.

Good things -
1) Coming 1st overall.
2) Getting over 100,000 credits nearer to the 1000000 online credits acheievement.
3) A rather spiffy overtaking maneouvre round the outside of Myoptika to take 2nd place in one of the Sprinter races. (See photos - also shows off the design on my sprinter and yet more AceyAbuse, as well as Myoptikas offer of services)
4) That the standard of racing from where I was sitting was pretty good. I had some excellent fun fighting with both Perkies and Myoptika. And Dimrill, who was racing rather excellently every time I saw him. That all of the highlights were racing rather than crashing was nice.
5) The fury car I made (see photos), but didn't think was going to be at all competitive came first, and actually did pretty well.

As usual photos are here ... http://www.baronsgrove.co.uk/imagebank.aspx?s=forza
Aye, it was fun. Apologies for being a bit quiet last night but I was stuffing my face with chicken during much of Forza, and alternately switching the mic on and off to speak with Shewolf...then forgetting to switch it back on again to protest loudly at Mr.Pundy doing his level best to sideswipe my lovingly created motor.

I'll slap up some pictures in a few.
Kudos to Dave for that overtaking manoeuvre, it was quite brilliant and I'll have to see the replay to find out how he managed to get more speed than me round the outside of the corner!

Good racing from Dimrill - he's definitely improving.

I hope Perkoise feels better soon. I miss his Maple syrupy potty mouth.
Great fun again, sorry things aren't peachy for you Perkies - those race tracks feel a lot emptier without your gutter talk!

We need to be more organised for next week. Probably got the most players ever last night, and due to being all 'waaah' a second division didn't get sorted out.

And I hope everyone who minced off to play soldiers afterwards had a miserable time :(
Bit of a strange one last night as we filled up within SECONDS. A 2nd room was attempted, but noone wanted to join that, apparently. We need more organisation next week, methinks.
Dimrill wrote:
A 2nd room was attempted, but noone wanted to join that, apparently. We need more organisation next week, methinks.
I think the trick is for someone to volunteer to run the second room in advance. If I come online at 9:45 and try to join Perkies game and get told "no, piss off you late arriving peon" I can then calmly go and select, say, Dimrill's game. Otherwise there'd have to be a hell of a lot of using the crappy Live messenger service to try and ask someone who is in the room who is running the second game and it'll be too hard and it won't happen.
I can't work it, man. I've only just figured out that the left trigger makes the car go forwards.
Dimrill wrote:
I can't work it, man. I've only just figured out that the left trigger makes the car go forwards.

Right trigger.

The problem I think is that the regulars don't want to be split up from their BezzieMatesTM. We need someone who very recently has joined (Goatboy for example) to organise Division 2.

To make it fair, whoever wins Division 2 that week can replace the bottom finisher in Division 1 the next week. How does that sound?
It's getting exclusive, which might put some off.
Looks like I'm going to be in div 2 after the first week forever more then.

Plus it only took 25 minutes for someone to notice.
MaliA wrote:

During the Christmas dark days it was just MA, Ramsea, Big Leppy and myself. Isn't it fair to have the people who have been racing with each other for the last seven months to be able to continue doing so?

If we had 20 slots then people would be most welcome to join in, but we've got to think of a way to do this that isn't just going to split up the core group and make people not bother anymore.
Dimrill wrote:
Plus it only took 25 minutes for someone to notice.
I noticed right away but thought that it was funnier left unsaid.
myoptika wrote:
MaliA wrote:

During the Christmas dark days it was just MA, Ramsea, Big Leppy and myself. Isn't it fair to have the people who have been racing with each other for the last seven months to be able to continue doing so?

If we had 20 slots then people would be most welcome to join in, but we've got to think of a way to do this that isn't just going to split up the core group and make people not bother anymore.

Oh, heavens, no. I wasn't suggesting that. At all.

Sorry.

no, the concept of 'division 1' 'division 2' might lead to, well, nevermind. Ignore me.
To be fair, there's no system in place for this kind of arrangement (in Forza, or on Live!, or somehow on here), for setting up games in such a complicated manner. I think you're going to have to take a "first come, first served" approach and accept that you might not get to talk to the bezziest of mates and instead e.g. be stuck with Titler. It's what has to be attempted on every other game. That, or uh, we have TWO Forza nights or something.
I miss Titler.
MaliA wrote:

no, the concept of 'division 1' 'division 2' might lead to, well, nevermind. Ignore me.

The idea is to be quite the opposite. Worse would be for the first room to be "closed off" to newbies completely.

Maybe CUS is right for once, and FCFS is the best approach.
Ignore me, I'm not thinking right again atm. Must be past 3pm.
How about this.

We have two hosts, nominated in advance, and everyone knows who they both are. For the sake of argument imagine they are Perkies and myoptika. At 9:30 Perkies starts a game and myoptikajoins it. As people come online, they find myoptika in their friends list and select "join session in progress".

Once there are 8 people in the room, myoptikasigns out and starts a new lobby. Then as more people come online (which judging by the last few weeks won't take long) they also select to join myoptika's game, which means they automatically end up in the game that has room. If more than a couple of people leave Perkies's game, he sends an IM to myp and at some point late on they collapse the games together again.

The only downside I see is that myoptika doesn't get to play with Perkies ever, but we sort that by just changing the hosting volunteers each week. Oh, and the second room may be a little empty depending on how many people want to play; if 10pm rolls around and myp is just racing with two folks a plaintitave message should be sent to Perkies for a volunteer or two to switch rooms.

What does everyone think?

As for the league idea, I'd quite like to do that but I would suggest that we do the promotion/demoting thing between each and every race. This would be too tricky to co-ordinate in a regular game but could be quite fun as a one-off. Set up a regular slot time, say five minutes long (actually 10 may be better); during that slot each room does one race. At the end of the slot, every five minutes, whoever finished first in the lower league goes to the higher league and vice versa. The tricky bit is co-ordinating the races which is why you need to absoutely set the times, but I think that's doable. Actually, six races per hour is probably more than we manage now with all the between-race chatter! You could even expand this and have three leagues with, say, 5 players in each. There should be pretty rapid churn up and down the leagues so I don't think anyone has to feel isolated under this plan.

However, I don't know what happens if the host gets promoted or demoted; if the initial player leaves a Forza lobby, does it preserve it for the rest of the players or does it shut the lobby down? The critically acclaimed Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare[1] does the latter which is annoying.

[1] Just realised why this is funny to me; I can hear Dan Aykroyd as Joe Friday saying "the virgin Connie Swayle" every time I read it.
From the other night :

Smile!

From today :

A New Challenger!!

As for the full up rooms thing, I'd go for a signup period closing Tuesday morning, leaving time for everyone to register interest. Everyone who signs gets their name put in a hat, and 2 sets of equal numbers are pulled out. Each group nominates a host, who shall invite everyone for that night. We can either set the classes and tracks beforehand or just go with the flow, but at the end of the night the host scribbles down the amount of Points everyone has in the room at that moment in time. Then next week, the top person in Group B gets moved up to Group A, and the bottom person in Group A gets demoted to McSpackyHands Group B and everyone does it again.
Expensive (R1-4 that cost 300k+) cars (plus Elise/Exige/VX220) being flogged off dirt cheap in the Forza 2 auction house! 'Buy/sell 10 cars at auction' achievement WANT!

Some on a 2 hour basis, some 8, to see how they go. Get them while they're hot!
As this thread just got bumpied a thought popped in to my head...what would everyone think about turning on damage for at least the "Upper" set of players for Forza Night? It'd stop any purposeful sideswiping, due to some Mutually Assured Destruction shenanigans...
Sheepeh wrote:
As this thread just got bumpied a thought popped in to my head...what would everyone think about turning on damage for at least the "Upper" set of players for Forza Night? It'd stop any purposeful sideswiping, due to some Mutually Assured Destruction shenanigans...

Haha, we used to always have full damage on. It became ridiculous when only three cars could finish the race because the rest had been stacked into tyre walls, etc.
It'd work if
1) Everyone knew the theory about racing and overtaking.
2) People could turn their head to look to the side.
(oh, and (3) if you could combine the view with a bonnet and the view with the rear mirror into one view. It makes such a difference being able to actually see your car, rather than guess where it is. Which actually explains my coming together with Myoptika in the suzuka race - It turns out I'd clipped the wall, which sent me into him, wheras I'd thought I was clear of the wall, and that he'd hit me. Shame, as otherwise, it was an excellent move up the inside.)
I'll bow out of this Wednesday's race to allow some better drivers into the prem league.
I knew it wasn't my fault! :D

You know the right analogue stick can be used to look to the side? I regularly use it.
myoptika wrote:
I knew it wasn't my fault! :D

I never said it was. It probably still would have been my fault as I should've been a bit closer before trying to pull a trick like that. But I was surprised there was a collision at that point, as I'd thought you'd know better than to move across so early if I was that close. As it turns out that there was a collision there wasn't because I was hitting you, but because I hit the wall. That I went a bit wide and knocked you a bit was due to that. The next corners collision was mainly due to neither of us wanting to concede the place. (and as for you overtaking round the hairpin, why I oughta...)

Quote:
You know the right analogue stick can be used to look to the side? I regularly use it.

Aye, so do I, but it's a bit hard to combine that with steering and gear changes in the middle of a corner while attempting to overtake/not be overtaken.
I just find a quick flick does the trick (fnar).
I've put a list of the auctions as they stand in the Bargains thread.
Bik, when are you going to abandon the other cunts you play with and join us on a Wednesday?
Dunno. Not this week as I will be out eating pizza and/or steak whilst drinking heavily because it's my birthday.

Unless I decide the missus can sleep on the couch while I introduce my special kind of unintentional, highly apologetic carnage to you (and play Forza, ho ho).
Hello. Apologies for not being terribly amusing. I had just driven back from Coventry and had had all sorts of utter cuntery to put up with, not to mention several ongoing worries (several of which are resolved) and one very worrying personal issue which cropped up suddenly just before I left for Coventry which is unresolved but at least greatly improved.

As a result, I really could not be fucked with getting very drunk and arsing about for long - it took a lot of willpower to even show up, and even more to not just leave to let someone else (Gridl0k, sorry, I tried to explain but you didn't even accept my chat request) get in instead.

Since then I've been working and sorting stuff out and so have not had time to come online for very long, and my parents are visiting this weekend so I'm trying to entertain them.

Anyway, there is a very big issue of there being too many people. We need some sort of resolution before this Wednesday or it shan't be a happy situation. The two 'divisions' thing was an interesting suggestion...
Quote:
have not had time to come online for very long, and my parents are visiting this weekend so I'm trying to entertain them.

Oh no! Your poor, poor, unfortunate parents :( I suggest lots of videos and not speaking much.
Your chum CUS.

Also, I am hoping to play on Wednesday too (for the first time in several months), it seems there will only be more and more people, not less. I have absolutely no issue with taking part in a 'B' room with all the losers who weren't cool enough to afford an Xbox earlier (or just didn't want to play Forza at the time, as with myself)
Assuming I'm in (which I should be, being as Court will finish at about 4) I have no objection to trying to host a room (probably the "B" room). I just need to know what you guys want to race, and who's in "B" room so invites can be sent.
I've been thinking about this league thing and, as long as there are only two leagues, I think it works out. Upfront we agree two racers who will host each league; Perkies is the obvious candidate for the first one, being Top Driver Type Guy, and we need someone to self-identify as "really not very good" to run the lower division. I don't think the host can leave the game in progress so these two guys have to stay in their divisions. I'd volunteer for the lower on but I'm not around that often on Wednesday nights. I'm happy to run it when I am around though.

Everyone joins one division or the other as they sign on; it doesn't matter which really. When you complete a race, the guy who came first or last (depending on if it's the top division or the bottom one) goes and joins the other division (by just selecting the appropriate host off his or her friends list). If the new joiner is unlucky with the timing, they may have to spectate on a race in progress for a few minutes. Meanwhile the other division waits in the lobby until they receive whoever is coming over from the other division. Once both divisions have sent someone over and received someone back, they start their next races, then repeat.

It only breaks down if one division starts doing longer races than the other, but as we keep most races to 2 laps of the medium length tracks it should turn over pretty snappy. And everyone will probably get at least a race with everyone else, because I anticipate the promotion/demotion to have a solid amount of random in it.

This would cater for up to 14 players (you'd need an empty slot in each division for the player swap).
This is all frighteningly overcomplicated are people really considering moving games constantly during a single evening?
Bingo, moving around like that would not be great. Also it's easy to have a bad race due to being punted off track, and would somewhat invalidate the points tally.
Why waste time overcomplicating Forza when you could be building my ridiculous car engine-based MP3 encoder?

Seriously, though, that's a very poor idea. Forza can be very unstable in terms of online play so it's good to just stay with a game once it's working fine.

Just 'A' and 'B' rooms is fine, though the risk will undoubtedly be that A will be full, and B will have three or four people who'll get bored and pack it all in.

Or, hilarious hijinx will occur in one room and the other will miss out.

It's really shitty that we're in this situation, tbh, though I would like to say that if you're not going to chatter with us, you're missing half the point of even coming.
Let's just have a list of names, then draw them out of a hat (get a little code to pick them at random) and then whomever misses the draft for Perkies' hosted game can just be in the second, so it is nice and mixed. That way every race is a 'cup tie'
Yeah, I'm not in it for the competitive element at all. In fact, I don't even like the game, I only come for the banter and bezzieness. Hence why I'll not be playing this week.
I play for the drunken banter and the fun of tuning and decorating a car to show off. Racing is secondary (though it doesn't make being smashed off any less annoying) though it is fun.

What is the theme for this week, by the way? We need one.
Bah, you people are impossible to please. I only conceived this cockermine (sp?) change-division-each-race thing to address other moans, namely, that people don't all fit in one game, that people want to race with all the other people, and that people don't want to play in a B room game with just one or two other when the A room has 8 people in.

And now I am wounded! Wounded, I tell you! Trying to get you lot to agree on something is like herding cats. It's a good job I don't have to do this all the time, you know, like a politician. I reckon the stess would make me bulimic.

I reckon the only answer is to charge £2 a month to post here. That'd get rid of the unseemly riff raff. :hat:
The idea was solid, the problem was changing every race, and the fact it's so rigid.
Yeah, I know. I had to go on a rant to fit the bulimia gag in there though.
richardgaywood wrote:
is like herding cats.

I've no idea why this amuses me. Stolen.
Shewolf wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
is like herding cats.
I've no idea why this amuses me. Stolen.
It clearly amuses you because cats are the very living defintion of an unherdable animal. Although, for all their fucking snootiness and famed discrimination, most domesticated cats would clearly starve if they didn't have humans around to feed them mashed up animal genitals out of a tin (that one's from Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit.)

Even better is "trying to do <whatever you are describing> is like trying to teach cats how to scuba dive by providing written instructions. It doesn't matter how good a job you do of it, it's just not going to work out". That one is from Scott Adams (the guy who writes Dilbert).
Hehe, yes...I'm liking Scott Adams one also...but then I do love Dilbert strips.
Fucking hell, this is getting complex.

It's great that there's so much interest (I remember the first 'meet' - Perkies and I with a hint of Pundy. It was all fields then too with the racetracks outlined in chalk.) and it's a total cunt of a situation that Forza can only handle 8 racers.

I don't mean to sound like an arse but 'Thrrrrrrrisppppp!' If I ain't racing my Bezzies in Forza I'mo jump ship to Burnie P or whatevers.
Page 4 of 58 [ 2853 posts ]