General Purpose US TV thread
Satsuma wrote:
if I had any complaints it was the animal extermination from the 4th episode became somewhat spurious without any pay off. I imagine it was supposed to show how the Russian public were used and spat out the other side, or perhaps the similarities between what happened and wartime conflicts, but we didn’t get to see much of the effect of what happened outside a single shot of a dead eyed soldier. Maybe that’s all that was needed perhaps.

This is explicitly covered in the podcast for this episode.

There was also some stuff they filmed but left out of the final programme because it was too horrible.

Quote:
Oh and the soundtrack was suuu-perb. It was just different sounding; haunting and creepy, I don’t know what instruments were used but it felt sort of Bladerunner-esq to me, perhaps? Not the future synth, just, the tone and feel of it? You know what I mean?

The music is covered in some detail in one of the podcasts.

VERY SUBTLE HINT HINT - Listen to the podcasts, they're fantastic companion pieces to the programme.
I did the first two episodes of this last night, fantastic stuff, very powerful.

I knew the story already in many regards already, but seeing it dramatised so well gives it extra resonance.

Also contains archive footage of Trump from 1989 to remind us once again what a cunt he is.

It's on Netflix.

Attachment:
seeuso.JPG
New Jessica Jones is out, I'm 4 episodes in and it's better than season 2 so far.
Trooper wrote:
New Jessica Jones is out, I'm 4 episodes in and it's better than season 2 so far.

Self-circumcision with a rusty BIC razor would be better than Season 2, so that's not saying much.
I don’t see the point now they’re winding them all down.
This is the last one I think, that's all of them done after this season.
Mr Chonks wrote:

You won't watch something unless it goes on forever?
Bamba wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

You won't watch something unless it goes on forever?

Yes that’s exactly what I’m saying. Obviously.
Jessica Jones was standard Netflix marvel. Started strong, got boring and drawn out in the middle, ended strong.
Does it actually end properly?
Pretty much, there is no setup for another series at least.
Mr Chonks wrote:

Your logic would suggest that anyone who hadn't seen Firefly yet shouldn't watch Firefly, so is obviously as broken as it's possible to be.
Cras wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

Your logic would suggest that anyone who hadn't seen Firefly yet shouldn't watch Firefly, so is obviously as broken as it's possible to be.

Serenity.
Not convinced I call that an ending
Cras wrote:

Title
Cras wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

Meh, I haven’t watched it in ages. I bet it hasn’t aged well.
Sadly Adam Baldwin’s fuckwittery over the last five years has sort of put me off ever going back to it.
Hannibal is on Netflix. I’ve started to watch it from the start and just the first episode is outstanding.
Cras wrote:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Try telling that to Wash!
Great moments in television:

The Expanse, Series one
There is a race against time for the crew of a stolen ship to open a safe to get a code book. In the code book are the words that can be used to identify themselves as special forces on the same side as the soldiers that are on their way to search their ship. All they have to do is drop these words into a phrase and make it sound natural and the soldiers will understand and back off. They finally open the safe and get the words. Tue words are "Ubiquitous", "mendacious" and "polyglottal". The look on the pilot's face was brilliant.

Eight episodes in and I love it.
I mean, obvious troll is obvious there.

Anyway, and talking of which, just finished Good Girls season 1 - well worth watching for many reasons, the cool daughter from Parenthood and Saffron from Firefly being two of them. And a fairly flying colours Bechdel test pass. The three female leads are just brilliant, fantastic comic chops and very believable.
Ancient meme is ancient there.

Joss Whedon stuff just doesn’t float my boat in the way it used to. My tastes have evolved is all.
I am ancient, don't be ageist.

Anyway, yeah that's totally understandable. I've revisited stuff and found my tastes have definitely moved on.

Also, its very sweet you assumed that was aimed at you.
Wasn’t it? You’re one of the biggest Firefly fans ever so seemed like a logical assumption to make.
Aaah, I see.

I'm less a Firefly fan than I am a Nathan Fillion fan :)
MrChris wrote:
Aaah, I see.

He’s rubbish in the last season of Santa Clarita Diet
Mr Chonks wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Aaah, I see.

I haven't got past the first episode.
The Rookie, as I may have mentioned, is amazeballs. Also he's just so ruggedly handsome.
Mr Chonks wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Aaah, I see.

He's not in the last season of SCD.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Aaah, I see.

I’d hoped it would be you
He's the head in the basement isn't he?
Zardoz wrote:
He's the head in the basement isn't he?

Gaywood? Yes.
It was either going to be Gaywood or Hearthly
Mr Chonks wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Aaah, I see.

I’d hoped it would be you

See, I initially assumed it was japery on your part, but I looked at it really hard and I just couldn't see how it could end up being funny.

My mistake was forgetting who I was dealing with.
You’re trying very hard to save face here! It’s quite sweet
Just watched the first two episodes of CHERNOBYL to catch the zeitgeist. First I was a bit worried about being acted by british actors. I once thought that in the post-Inglorious Basterds era, good drama was going to be made with the utmost authenticity. But the rest is so well made and put together, that i eventually forgot about that detail.

The scene in the first episode
With the baby and children with their parents watching the fire in the bridge, getting hit by the radiated particles, is absolutely horrifying. It gave bad vibes for the next day. I even dreamt about it. Anything that puts babies in peril is the biggest red flag for me. The director did a hell of a job with that scene
Mr Chonks wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Aaah, I see.

The season where he was replaced by Alan Tudyk?
And another one!
Mr Chonks wrote:
And another one!

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here?
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
And another one!

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to achieve here?

Then don’t worry about it
I'm guessing it might help if you have seen the show?
Trooper wrote:

I’m not explaining it. I have achieved what I set out to do
Mr Chonks wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Title.
Trooper wrote:

I really don't believe so, no.
Mr Chonks wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Covfefe
I've finished watching Chernobyl and it turns out everyone was right. It was great! Genuinely scary too.
TheVision wrote:
I've finished watching Chernobyl and it turns out everyone was right. It was great! Genuinely scary too.

Podcasts next, if you've not already done so.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Podcasts next, if you've not already done so.

Oh, are they any good? No one’s mentioned them
Hang on, are there podcasts?

About Chernobyl!?

The telly box mini-series?
Mr Chonks wrote:
Oh, are they any good? No one’s mentioned them

I wasn't all that impressed by them. I certainly didn't think they were must-experience.
Page 147 of 174 [ 8687 posts ]