General Purpose US TV thread
Curiosity wrote:
Saw the second episode of Fringe last night.

It was just about entertaining enough for me to watch it next week

Third ep is definitely a lot more interesting and memorable than the first two, I thought.
Curio if people were interested in legitimate science then CSI wouldn't have 50 fucking spinoffs, all as shit as the previous one.
CUS wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Saw the second episode of Fringe last night.

It was just about entertaining enough for me to watch it next week

Third ep is definitely a lot more interesting and memorable than the first two, I thought.

Here's hoping!

I'll keep watching it because it looks like the kind of show where it could have four average-dull episodes followed by an absolute corker.

Plus anything with Lance Reddick in is worth watching at least a little bit.
It's been picked up for a full season, has Fringe, so I'm hopeful for its chances of being a decent series.

Meanwhile, did anyone see the first episode of the new season of South Park last week? It was funny... in places... but also the most I've ever thought, "Fucking hell, guys, steady on!" Shocking, even.
CUS wrote:
richardgaywood wrote:
Lost season 4 was terrific. As a show it jumped the shark then jumped back. So I'm certainly sticking with Heroes for now.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Series 2 I liked, because I had worked out that the plane was brought down by an EMP, and that there was some correlation between the bunker and magnetism. Because I'm so clever? Nope, I just happened to randomly watch a couple of different older episodes at a friend's, and noticed that they kept mentioning magnetism. Series 3 was mostly bobbins. 4... wow. The episode where Ben's daughter is killed, and he moves the island was for me the most electric hour of TV I've seen all year I think. They should seriously rename the show to BEN

I really like a new series on HBO called True Blood. Imagine if Buffy the Vampire Slayer were really seemingly all an allegory for early black/white racial integration in America, and about the 'sides' involved in that, and the players. Er, and the main character is Rogue from the X-Men movies as quasi-Buffy. It sounds terrible doesn't it? I find it quite compelling. The black chick, the main character's best friend, is truly excellent, amuses me lots.

Glad to see I'm not the only one falling for it's toothy charms :)
CUS wrote:
It's been picked up for a full season, has Fringe, so I'm hopeful for its chances of being a decent series.

Meanwhile, did anyone see the first episode of the new season of South Park last week? It was funny... in places... but also the most I've ever thought, "Fucking hell, guys, steady on!" Shocking, even.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
Right then. Now you've finished talking about shit US TV I can officially reveal that Channel 5 have acquired the rights to show series 7 of THE SHIELD:

http://www.five.tv/aboutfive/contact/faq/#theshield

Quote:
The Shield
Will you be screening Series 7?
We have acquired the broadcast rights to Series 7 but no transmission dates are scheduled at the moment. It is unlikely that we will broadcast episodes from the series until after it has started in the United States.

So it'll be aired once it has started in the US. Which it did on 2 September. So anytime now, then! Whoop!

If anyone gets any firm (fnarr) dates PM me, e-mail me, write to me, telephone me, approach me in the street, throw a brick through my window with a note attached, anything! Or just post them on here...
I've lost it a bit with The Shield, watched the first couple of series avidly then kept missing episodes here and there and then just ended up not knowing what series we got up to and what the hell is going on. It's quite hard to pick up all the threads if you go back to it.
markg wrote:
I've lost it a bit with The Shield, watched the first couple of series avidly then kept missing episodes here and there and then just ended up not knowing what series we got up to and what the hell is going on. It's quite hard to pick up all the threads if you go back to it.

I was pretty much the same. The characters started to annoy me too much so my interest drifted.
Yeah, it definitely peaked during the stuff with Kavanaugh, that should have really been the end of the series as a whole I think, all the stuff with him, and Lem etc. I can barely remember last season at all. The current one is pretty good, it's had some moments, but I'm glad that it is DEFINITELY the last one, it's had its day now.
Rodafowa wrote:
And hey - Marlo Stansfield's in it.

And Bubbles!
Given there's not much point in starting a "General Purpose Australian TV thread for Autumn 2008" thread, I'm going to mention here that Shaun Micallef's Newstopia, the majestic Australasian fusion of The Daily Show and The Day Today is back for a new series on SBS (and by extension, the internet). It doesn't quite hit the stratospheric heights of the first two series' just yet, but it is still more than welcome.

Here's a montage of parts from one episode of the last series, which is still quite topical now:

While talking about Australian shows, is Underbelly meant to be any good?
Life on Mars USA v2.0 -

Much, MUCH better than the original pilot; a totally new production from ground up. This is a good thing.

There's still a few things to work out to make it better though - it's a bit too fast-paced at times, meaning that it tends to speed through scenes. Fine if you already know the premise, but to new viewers it's going to get confusing or irritating quickly.

As a pilot? Great. Just needs some work.

And the new series of Knight Rider? Crap. But hugely entertaining crap; the kind of silly telly they don't tend to make very often nowadays. Perfect for when you're knackered and don't really want to think, and just want a vague plot and your telly to make flashing images with all wooshy noises.. I'd still prefer them to have been able to have kept Gob as KITT, but Val Kilmer is a fair replacement I think.

I'd be massively surprised if it lasts a full season run, but they've ordered four more scripts so it's looking more likely than I said after watching the (fairly dull) season opener.
Mark X wrote:
Given there's not much point in starting a "General Purpose Australian TV thread for Autumn 2008" thread, I'm going to mention here that Shaun Micallef's Newstopia, the majestic Australasian fusion of The Daily Show and The Day Today is back for a new series on SBS (and by extension, the internet). It doesn't quite hit the stratospheric heights of the first two series' just yet, but it is still more than welcome.

Here's a montage of parts from one episode of the last series, which is still quite topical now:

Aaargh! Cheers for the reminder Mark X, I keep forgetting this is back. Enjoyed series 2 immensely, and have torrenting series 1 for future viewing. Really wish someone over here would pick this up, as we clearly can't "do" this sort of thing anymore.
On another Australian tip, the Oz version of Top Gear is a near perfect copy of the format.

Unfortunately the people they have to host it are possibly some of the least charismatic Australians ever committed to the cathode tube. Shame.
ComicalGnomes wrote:
The Heroes plot is wonking all over the place in an effort to remain interesting. I do worry about that. It's gone from being a show I look forward to seeing to a show I watch because I've already invested the time in S1 and 2. It's for this reason, for some fucking reason, I still watch Smallville. I'm desperate for that to end so I can stop watching the fucking thing.

:this: is me and the missus, exactly. Though she has started doing other things during Heroes. Smallville has done a retool for series 8 and is showing promise, even with the Sith apprentice from the new Star Wars game in it!
Just watched the 1st episode of fringe, was impressed.... will be watching the other episodes tonight.. the wonders of sky+
Dexter series 3? YAY!

Also, I very much enjoyed the Big Bang Theory.

But, Dexter, YAY!

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I like Dexter.

Dexter.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Dexter series 3? YAY!
Yeah, it's really good too. Series 4 and 5 have been commissioned too!
Fucking sweet! Get in!

How far into the new series are they so far? I'll have to do a bit of catching up.
I'm still enjoying Dexter but can't help feeling that the premise is starting to feel a bit stretched. He just doesn't seem any longer to be uncontrollably driven to kill people but just does it purely for fun as and when he feels like it, it's as though he could just stop at any time and it wouldn't really bother him. I know that the whole setup was preposterous to begin with and you're just meant to go with it and enjoy it but I don't know I'm finding suspension of disbelief to be increasingly difficult.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Fucking sweet! Get in!

How far into the new series are they so far? I'll have to do a bit of catching up.

Episode 5 was last night.
markg wrote:
I'm still enjoying Dexter but can't help feeling that the premise is starting to feel a bit stretched. He just doesn't seem any longer to be uncontrollably driven to kill people but just does it purely for fun as and when he feels like it, it's as though he could just stop at any time and it wouldn't really bother him. I know that the whole setup was preposterous to begin with and you're just meant to go with it and enjoy it but I don't know I'm finding suspension of disbelief to be increasingly difficult.

That's because Series One of the show followed the first book very closely.

The subsequent series diverged from the original premise, which ended up being cool, but only if you like weird shit that's largely detached from accepted reality (books 2 and 3).
Does nobody watch Supernatural apart from me? Really enjoying this series. I am also enjoying Dexter, The Fringe and The Mentalist (great main character)

I am trying to enjoy Sanctuary but its missing something. I think its the leads acting which at times is very wooden. I also find the pacing of the plot to be erratic. I think they were trying to make an American Torchwood but got lost along the way.

Knight Rider is so bad that its good and the nostalgia factor makes it even better.

I watch considerably more American TV than I do English. Apart from Spooks and Torchwood I have not really enjoyed anything domestic in recent times.
Nemmie wrote:
Does nobody watch Supernatural apart from me?

I'm considering picking up the S1 boxed set. Convince me.
Phew, no spoilers for the latest ep of Dexter, at least as far as I could see. It is an utterly ace programme, a drama that quite wonderfully is happy to direct you toward a certain plot-path, then drag you harshly away from it for something a lot more surprising, interesting and compelling at the last moment. If they'd carried on with the direction we'd been expecting, we would have been perfectly happy, but no. They think we deserve more from our drama. Brilliant. It's a bit of a shame ITV have got the rights to it, what with their "broadcasting the neutered version of it on ITV1" approach to it and everything.

No new episodes of Family Guy, American Dad or The Simpsons this week. I may have said this here before, but whenever the viewing figures drop for comedy shows in the USA, why is it none of the networks make the mental leap toward "fewer people are watching because they know there's a 40% chance we won't be showing a new episode after all". They generally produce at least twenty episodes per season! Just show them on consecutive weeks, you dolts!
Then it wouldn't hit both "Sweeps" periods.

They could do it with one break in the middle, or reform their fucking awful system of course.
Craster wrote:
Nemmie wrote:

Well the first series follows a set formula and is entertaining enough if you like this kind of show. It really starts to get interesting in the final episoide of season one.

Season two is amazing with unexpected twist and episodes that are pure genius. I actually watched season two in one weekend and found it some of the most compelling TV I have ever watched.

In season three they have thrown everything into the mixer again and thus far its been great. It never gets stale because they are always mixing things up and taking you in directions that you never expected.

If you like shows about the paranormal or you just like to be entertained whilst suspending your disbelief then Supernatural is the show for you. Its fast paced, unpredictable and at times absolutely hilarious. (Dean gets all the best one liners)

I am not very good at reviews but I hope I have helped you with your decision.
Mark X wrote:
No new episodes of Family Guy, American Dad or The Simpsons this week. I may have said this here before, but whenever the viewing figures drop for comedy shows in the USA, why is it none of the networks make the mental leap toward "fewer people are watching because they know there's a 40% chance we won't be showing a new episode after all". They generally produce at least twenty episodes per season! Just show them on consecutive weeks, you dolts!

Sky's treatment of new Simpsons episodes is unbelievable considering it's Sky One's flagship show. Back in the day you were guaranteed a new episode once a fortnight; these days there are literally months with no new episodes, followed by one a week for a few weeks, then another dry spell. It's not like they're showing them straight after US broadcast like Prison Break or Bones so there's really no excuse. Tsk, eh?
Craster wrote:
Nemmie wrote:

Fancy a lend? I can bring it to Shunt.
Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:
Nemmie wrote:

You're going to have to turn up with a mahoosive rucksack at this rate!
Grim... wrote:
Craster wrote:
Nemmie wrote:

Yeah, g'wan then.
Curiosity wrote:
You're going to bring a Sherpa with a mahoosive rucksack at this rate!
FeeX.
My wife really enjoys Supernatural, think it must be something to do with the 'hunky' blokes or something. Maybe they remind her of me :attitude:

I quite enjoy it (not for the 'hunky' blokes), it's farily lightweight and a tad predictable in places but it's entertaining.

Sounds like I've got quite a few things to download.
Has it got tottie?
Oh yes indeed.
I've just realised that I named my son after the two lead characters.
She's really into Ghost Whisperer and Medium too.

I'm not that fussed by either, but can think of two good reasons to glance over at the telly every now and then while ghost whisperer is on :hat:
My Own Worst Enemy and Lipstick Jungle have been cancelled.
'Fringe' is still entertaining me, despite being possibly the single most formulaic thing I have ever seen on television.
Curiosity wrote:
'Fringe' is still entertaining me, despite being possibly the single most formulaic thing I have ever seen on television.

I'm still watching it, in the hopes that (assuming it doesn't get cancelled) some of this formula will resolve into some explanation and reason to continue watching it into season 2.

Heroes is total fucking bollocks now though. They're scuppering the integrity of the plot by explaining more lunatic backstory that shows connections never previously known, in that predictable (look, everyone really knew everyone else all along!) way. It's a bit of a deperate effort to stimulate the flailing plot, and I'm getting bored.
Just reading the TV pages summaries of Heroes makes it sound like they've gotten desperate, and are now all about the "gasp! what a plot twist!" approach, e.g. turning previously "good" characters into inexplicable baddies, and vice versa.
I'm more at peace with Heroes since I worked out what it was.

It's a comic, see? That's why its continuity is completely fucked, that's why people keep forgetting about powers that they demonstrated in earlier episodes that would completely resolve whatever problem they're currently facing, that's why familiar faces keep turning up from other series to shuffle about ineffectually then bog off again, that's why we keep having insane plot twist piled upon insane plot twist, most of which look more like fanservice than a planned dramatic arc. About two episodes into the new series, I threw up my hands and said "OK, I accept you're not going to make a lick of fucking sense. Just entertain me."

All that being said, it's still a bloody mess and could seriously do with culling about half its characters. Starting with Peter "Fucking" Petrelli and Doctor Woodentop.
and stop introducing new fucking characters when you've no idea what to do with the old ones! What was the point of killing off nikki and then bringing the actor back playing someone who was basically the same person? Did they want to rid her of the kid in a creative way?
davpaz wrote:
killing off nikki

ZOMG SPOILER
erm.... erm.... shit. Sorry for the cave-dwellers!
I kill you in the face.
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!
davpaz wrote:
and stop introducing new fucking characters when you've no idea what to do with the old ones! What was the point of killing off nikki and then bringing the actor back playing someone who was basically the same person? Did they want to rid her of the kid in a creative way?

And that was after we were treated to many episodes detailing her back-plot. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZffs.

Lost does that as well. How many fucking episodes did we have to endure telling us about some fucking character that ended up getting killed off and never referred to again? Waste of fucking time.
I gave up on Heroes about 3 episodes into Series 2, with those stupid irritating South American twins. And Peter Fucking Petrelli still not being dead.
Page 2 of 174 [ 8658 posts ]