Does Cutting a Sandwich in Half Make it 1 or 2 Sandwiches
Following the plane/treadmill and o.9rec = 1 threads, let's have another guaranteed to cause disagreement.

I have two slices of bread. I make a sandwich.

I cut it in half.

I now have two sandwiches.

CORRECT OR INCORRECT?
That's a terrible thread title.
What if it's served on a tray, in an airliner, sitting on a conveyor?
MrD wrote:
That's a terrible thread title.

That is not in dispute. The sanwich(es) are.
I NO VOTE FOR U.
The sandwiches is revolting?
Has the sammich / sammiches had the crust / crust removed?
Happy now, MrD?

On every forum where the previous two questions have been posed in the same day (from my forumming experience), this one follows soon after. It would be displeasing the forum gods to leave it unasked...
Curiosity wrote:
Does Cutting a Sandwich in Half Make it 1 or 2 Sandwiches

I love Friday afternoons ;)
I still think 0.9999999~ Sandwiches doesn't make one.
You have one Sandwich!
I agree with Grim...
I CAN HAZ SAMMICHEZ?
You have half a sandwich, where a sandwich is defined as a a filling between two slices of bread.
But surely, you have a round of sandwiches?
Indeed I do. And stop calling me Shirley.
If you cut the sandwiches into 100 pieces, you wouldn't have 100 sandwiches, would you? It's one sandwich, that you cut in half. You said so yourself.

Lock this thread, quickly.
A butty cut in half is still a butty.
I'd argue that it isn't actually a sandwich until it's cut in half, it's just two slices of bread with something in the middle. Cut it in half and you have two sandwiches. Eat one of them and you have one sandwich.
Surely then we should have a standard BETEO sandwhich size? Less than 3" X 1.5" then a sandwhich is does not make. A bit like the EU and bendy banana's
You'd have one big sandwich, then two wee half sandwiches.
I agree with itsallwater...
>6" in width or depth = MONSTER
<6"-4" = STANDARD
<4" = WASTE OF FUCKING TIME AND EFFORT
Hold tight, for another thread, with a question that will trouble you all weekend!!

(Oh and the answer is:

Sandwich cut in half equals

2 sandwiches UNLESS consumer is ON DIET)
Dimrill wrote:
I agree with itsallwater...
>6" in width or depth = MONSTER
<6"-4" = STANDARD
<4" = WASTE OF FUCKING TIME AND EFFORT

The correct terminology for a sandwich over 6" is MANWICH.
Like MANsize tissues. I can't be bothered with those hermaphrodite size.
One sandwich = two slices of bread however you cut it.
jonarob wrote:

What if it's one slice of bread folded in half?
Are those packs from the supermarket with 3 rounds of bread in it labelled "sandwich" or "sandwiches"? I shall email my MP to find out.
It was a shocking day when I realised that Mansize Tissues were basically designed for wanking into, hence their larger size and name. I was stoned, on a munchie raid in Tescos, and just broke down laughing. I still believe it's true.

I will now answer this thread with an answer I gave an American friend who asked this on Facebook:

Quote:
Each time I try and write this it gets more complicated. Here's my take, probably highly regional and subjective:

If you make, cut and eat it, or witness someone else do so, then it's a round of sandwiches, similar to a round of toast. However, despite being collectively plural, each half is not considered a sandwich; similarly, half a pair of pants is not a pant.

If someone else prepares several of these, puts them on a plate and presents them to you, then through the magic of context each half (or even quarter) is considered to be a sandwich. This also applies to shop bought ones in triangular plastic packets.

Incidentally, if I took one slice of bread, spread it with butter and jam and then folded it in half, this would -definitely- be a sandwich.

There's a PhD thesis in there somewhere, probably underneath the lettuce and the mayonnaise.
Tmuk wrote:
jonarob wrote:

What if it's one slice of bread folded in half?

What you've got yourself there is a pathetic creation that would barely tickle the stomach, let alone fill it.
A sandwich is two pieces of bread, with something in between (Unless its an open sandwich, but lets not open that can of worms.

Therefore, if you cut one sandwich into two, you have two sandwiches, as both pieces conform to the 'piece of bread/filling/piece of bread' structure that defines a sandwich.

A single slice of bread counts as a sandwich, if you cut it in half, then you have two.

That's the only way you could possibly see it, as using terms such as 'slices' is subjective, and also completely incorrect in certain cases.
It's one sandwich. Stop being silly.
Tmuk wrote:
I'd argue that it isn't actually a sandwich until it's cut in half, it's just two slices of bread with something in the middle. Cut it in half and you have two sandwiches. Eat one of them and you have one sandwich.

But by that measure, Tmuk, it's impossible to ever have one sandwich without first having two sandwiches.

What's the first stage in the sandwich making process where it could reasonably be called a sandwich? It's not when there is a slice of bread, or even when it has then been topped - this is merely an open sandwich. It's when the other piece of bread has been dropped on top, SANDWICHING the filling between them.
I hate open sandwiches!
Twats; Just take the word sandwhich and replace it by ball, or foot, or frog etc.

I have a ball.
I cut it in half.
I now have two balls.
CORRECT OR INCORRECT?
Pod wrote:
Twats; Just take the word sandwhich and replace it by ball, or foot, or frog etc.

I have a ball.
I cut it in half.
I now have two balls.
CORRECT OR INCORRECT?

I like this post. I agree with it and support the sentiments contained therein.
Pod wrote:

I have a ball.
I cut it in half.
I now have two balls.
CORRECT OR INCORRECT?

Twats; Just take the word sandwhich and replace it by piece of paper, or lump of clay, or pile of sand etc.

I have a piece of paper.
I cut it in half
I now have two pieces of paper
CORRECT OR INCORRECT?

Malc
Actually for Pod's sake I certainly hope he has two balls.
Spinglo Sponglo! wrote:
Pod wrote:

I have a ball.
I cut it in half.
I now have two balls.
CORRECT OR INCORRECT?

Twats; Just take the word sandwhich and replace it by piece of paper, or lump of clay, or pile of sand etc.

I have a piece of paper.
I cut it in half
I now have two pieces of paper
CORRECT OR INCORRECT?

Malc

CHILDREN, IGNORE THIS POST! It is designed to subvert you to the Malcian way! THE PODDISH WAS IS THE TRUE PATH! (ie you have one sandwhich)
Pod wrote:

I have a ball.
I cut it in half.
I now have two balls.
CORRECT OR INCORRECT?
Correct, yes, but whilst answering the letter of the problem you've missed the spirit. How about this scenario: I am in the kitchen making sandwiches for gr8 m8s who are playing computer games in the living room. I call through, "Hey, Pod, how many sandwiches do you want?" and you reply "two please". How many pieces of bread do you get?

And in this scenario, with my definitions, you get four pieces of bread, with two lots of filling, and cut into four bits of two half-slices each.

And what about club sandwiches, eh? EH?
ComicalGnomes wrote:
Actually for Pod's sake I certainly hope he has two balls.

I had one but I cut it in half; do I now have two balls?!
You have one ball that fucking hurts, I wager.
Not sure on the question. Can I phone a friend? I choose Hitler.
KevR wrote:
The correct terminology for a sandwich over 6" is MANWICH.

Oh! That's what that is. I always thought it was a sandwich stuffed with human flesh.
I am glad that, eventually, this made a not-shit thread.
The word 'sandwich' is starting to look very strange to me.
Try looking at "tongue" for more than a few minutes. Starts to look utterly weird.
myoptika wrote:
The word 'sandwich' is starting to look very strange to me.

I had that with "gary" the other day, as the poor sods on IRC could attest as I spammed the place with it. I think it was the g at the beginning that caused me the most grief.
Is it because it wasn't a capital G?
It's one sandwich if you have something between two slices of bread. Cutting it makes it two, smaller sandwiches, in much the same way as cutting an A4 piece of paper in half will give you two A5 pieces of paper. We refer to miniature sandwiches at parties etc as 'sandwiches' because calling them 'quarter sandwiches' or whatever would be tedious and silly. They are merely smaller sandwiches.

I used to make sandwiches in Canterbury Cathedral. It was a surprisingly fulfilling job, and people still talk about my sandwiches even now, nearly for years later. They buy them premade now though, the lazy cockwavers.
Page 1 of 2 [ 57 posts ]