*~Pets Corner!~*
Pet and animal talk ^.^
Our gippys have started preeping to each other now :) They've been largely silent for two days while they settled in. I love gippy sound.
Glad you got them now then? They're the acebestest animals ever.
myoptika wrote:
Glad you got them now then? They're the acebestest animals ever.

No no no... Malamutes are the bestest.... they sound like chewbacca and every thing :DD
Nein Nein Nein! Weimaraner are the bestest. Ever.
Zardoz wrote:
Nein Nein Nein! Weimaraner are the bestest. Ever.

a bloke on our stree has 2 of those... they are nice, but not as cute as a big fluffy Malamaute
Malamautes are nice, but not as nice as my amber eyed velvet beauty. Poppie looks ace too.
Zardoz wrote:
Malamautes are nice, but not as nice as my amber eyed velvet beauty. Poppie looks ace too.

yes but look at that face :)

Look at this face! Look how well she blends in with our soft furnishings and how awesome she is.
I want to get a hedgehog or two. You can get refugee ones from Uist.

Would two be better though? And what time of year should you get them? I guess they'd be getting ready to hibernate about now, so probably this is not a good time.

Would they coexist peacefully with cats?
Almost bought one of these earlier:

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!

Same "arachnophobia" warning goes on the spoiler tags.
Had my dear father not relented on allowing me to have pet rats, I was going to go for guniea pigs myself. They look so cute!

I've been busily playing Falout 3 lately while stuffing my face with Minstrels, and Nibbler has now taken to getting up on the bars of her cage and staring at me while I do it. It's like she's saying "Where's my Minstrels, Zio, you fat bastard?". Bless her!
kalmar wrote:

Would two be better though? And what time of year should you get them? I guess they'd be getting ready to hibernate about now, so probably this is not a good time.

I'd imagine the cats would just ignore them after a while. It's not like there's much they can do to them once they roll into a ball. I don't think that they'd become best friends and start having adventures and whatnot though.
You could call them Sonic and Blaze, though. :)
myoptika wrote:

This is what I will do.
myoptika wrote:

Former Lady Zio has rabbits called Sonic and Blaze... :(
You're going to rename your cat? Wow.
kalmar wrote:

Only problem would be ticks, mites, worms and fleas as the kitties would get them off them

My mum has a hole under the shed and each year she fills it with leaves and things and 3 or 4 hedgeysnogs hibernate under it-loverly :) I think she may have some under it now? I will check

Gaz-Me and you need a chat asap
I'd have thought that you'd be able to get rid of those things with a pet hedgehog wouldn't you? This is the first time I've heard of them being kept as pets though.
Problem is if they go outside they are riddled with them-you'd have to keep on doing it all the time and it'd be a circle, the cats would get them-then pass them back. Parasite tag!
markg wrote:
I'd have thought that you'd be able to get rid of those things with a pet hedgehog wouldn't you? This is the first time I've heard of them being kept as pets though.

Yeah, I'm not even sure if you're meant to keep them as pets. Like owls.
Well, aviaries are a bit different than keeping a hedgeysnog I think. They can burrow after all and you won't be able to keep them inside will you?

Mick (my step-dad kinda person) used to take them from over-populated places and he had loads of land.

2 Kestrels
1 Honey Buzzard
1 great spotted African eagle owl
2 Snowy owls
1 massive American Eagle owl aswell-it was scary as HELL!
EDIT: Forgot 'tiny' the tiny owl-cuuuute!!
(From what I can remember-there were more, but I liked feeding them :))

They couldn't go back into the wild as most of them had injuries or were captivity-raised one's so he used to take them on and care for them, it was lovely :)
I meant you're not supposed to keep owls as pets.
Shin wrote:
Well, aviaries are a bit different than keeping a hedgeysnog I think. They can burrow after all and you won't be able to keep them inside will you?

Mick (my step-dad kinda person) used to take them from over-populated places and he had loads of land.

2 Kestrels
1 Honey Buzzard
1 great spotted African eagle owl
2 Snowy owls
1 massive American Eagle owl aswell-it was scary as HELL!
EDIT: Forgot 'tiny' the tiny owl-cuuuute!!
(From what I can remember-there were more, but I liked feeding them :))

They couldn't go back into the wild as most of them had injuries or were captivity-raised one's so he used to take them on and care for them, it was lovely :)

Where did he go that was overpopulated with African eagle owls and American eagle owls?
Sorry about that, went down memory lane then :S

You can have them as pets (obv.not indoors) only if your part of a protection programme thing you can have them, oh or you can get a special permit.

Markg-rescue centers and things used to try and 're-home' them to people that were part of a rescue programme. Also a lot of police and people doing early rounds adn things used to find trapped birds and injured ones and used to give them to Mick.

I have pictures aswell somewhere! I'll try and find them and upload them :)
They're not pets then, though. I'm talking about little Jimmy getting a tawny for Christmas and then complaining that he doesn't do anything interesting and doesn't like being stroked.
No, you can't really interact and cuddle them....much like a lot of pets these days *SpidersCOUGH*
Shin wrote:

Well no, quite.
I have a large wilderness type garden which also has a shed, greenhouse, lots of beech hedge and trees and a vegetable patch that is overrun with slugs. It seems ideal for 'hogs (as far as I know) but none have moved in, presumably due to the wall around it.

So not really a pet as much as imported wildlife. But, the thread title is "pets and animals
Shin wrote:
No, you can't really interact and cuddle them....much like a lot of pets these days *SpidersCOUGH*

My mate has a lizard, apprently it is really cute..... not my thing. Cute has fur not scales or more than 4 legs
kalmar wrote:
wilderness type garden

Ahahahahaha, yeah me too "wilderness type" :DD
kalmar wrote:
Shin wrote:

Well no, quite.
I have a large wilderness type garden which also has a shed, greenhouse, lots of beech hedge and trees and a vegetable patch that is overrun with slugs. It seems ideal for 'hogs (as far as I know) but none have moved in, presumably due to the wall around it.

Yeah, the wall will do it-poor little buggers need a ladder! :D
Also-do you have dogs around? They try and avoid them-it's also rubbish about the dog food apparently, don't feed them it or bread or milk. Just water-if you go into any decent pet store they will have hedgehog food too so put a bit of that down under the shed or something if you want to encourage them?
Remember not to put slug pellets down if you want to attract hogs

My mum has a nature reserve at the back of the house, massive bank leading up to it-she gets loads of wildlife! I'm a country bumpkin at heart
Shin wrote:
Yeah, the wall will do it-poor little buggers need a ladder! :D
Also-do you have dogs around? They try and avoid them-it's also rubbish about the dog food apparently, don't feed them it or bread or milk. Just water-if you go into any decent pet store they will have hedgehog food too so put a bit of that down under the shed or something if you want to encourage them?
Remember not to put slug pellets down if you want to attract hogs

The garden is a sanctuary from dogs, but people do walk them around here.
And no slug pellets, hence the slugs. Thanks for the 'snog tips :)
Sorry about that ^.^ I go a little bit hyper when animal-talk comes along.

Also I wasn't meaning to discount your posts as 'off-topic' because after I read this

So not really a pet as much as imported wildlife. But, the thread title is "pets and animals

I worried that's what you meant

Any animal-lover is a pal o' mine :kiss:
My mother found a young hedgehog once in the middle of winter, and the vet and the RSPCA told us how to look after it and it ended up living in our downstairs loo for a couple of months. It smelt, and like Shin says was utterly ridden with fleas and mites. It did eat all the spiders that lived in the room though.
That's the only trouble with them really :( I'd love to live out in the wild and have loads of animals round me. Shin Doolittle! (Or Shin donothing as I'm sat here ranting about hedgehogs and the embroidery machine has stopped-ooopsy! lol)

Squirt-you know where Colyton is yeah? My mum lives at Mount View there :)
Dr Doolittle didn't live out in the wild. You're thinking of Twitchy the Tramp.
Shin of the dump?
Shin wrote:

Yup - I lived in Lyme Regis and did my work experience in Seaton! I don't really know Colyton though - I don't think I ever went there more than two or three times in about 16 years.
Squirt wrote:
Shin wrote:

Yup - I lived in Lyme Regis and did my work experience in Seaton! I don't really know Colyton though - I don't think I ever went there more than two or three times in about 16 years.

Lyme is loverly! I may be coming down for Xmas so if your about do pop out say 'allo!
Where was your work exp? (Sorry-being nosey :p) Colyton's ace, one of the only places where you can have a 'Biggest Pumpkin' competition! :DD
I miss it, but there are no jobs :(

Mind you...there's no pissing jobs up here either!!

I think I may butter Gaz up so I can have 2 Russian hamsters-I miss having things to look after :(
Racal in Seaton, but I think it's gone now. Biggest Pumpkin? I seem to remember one of my friends winning a ploughing and hedge-laying competition with Axe Valley Young Farmers.
Ah yeah-that's gawn now. I thought you were going to say 'Rainbow' :D it's great there!!!

Ah-to be back in the embrace of the local yokels :)
Bloody Grockels :p hehe! Gazs dad keeps saying Grockel
Shin wrote:
Sorry about that ^.^ I go a little bit hyper when animal-talk comes along.

Also I wasn't meaning to discount your posts as 'off-topic' because after I read this

I worried that's what you meant

Any animal-lover is a pal o' mine :kiss:

No no, it's just a few folk jumped to the conclusion I was intending to keep them in the house as an actual pet, just clarifying it.

Seriously thanks for the hog knowledge :D
That's okay ^.^

Tiggywinkles (I think it's called?) will give you more advice if needed anyway, they are pretty good and will tell you what to do and when they are normally looking for somewhere to nest over the winter so you can lay the food and things out for them and get a place ready for them to sleep

I wish I was a hedgehog, I'm so tired recently :( bloody antibiotics and pills and shit-I frigging rattle now!!
Hedgehog flavour crisps tasted ace. Oh how the media loved the scandal.
Zardoz wrote:
Hedgehog flavour crisps tasted ace. Oh how the media loved the scandal.

I remember those, they were yum yum..

Had those in my time line too :p
My brane has been telling me that there were also Traffic Warden flavoured crisps at one point, too.

A few other people seem to remember them, too, based on some Google searching.

I'm glad I'm not going completely insane.
I may be slipping perilously into a venus-fly-trap here but....what the heck? I don't remember those??

Monster Munch springs to mind for some odd reason
The Rev Owen wrote:
My brane has been telling me that there were also Traffic Warden flavoured crisps at one point, too.

you sure... not heard of those
Kovacs Caprios wrote:
The Rev Owen wrote:

you sure... not heard of those

Three or four other people online remember them, too. But that's it.

"Traffic warden crisps" - 1 Match in Google
"Traffic warden flavour crisps" - 1 match in Google
"Traffic warden flavoured crisps" - 1 match in Google
The Rev Owen wrote:

Yes and Policeman too.

Not around for very long at all, just cashing in on the "kerazee flavorz" fad after Hedgehog crisps.
There's always been bacon flavour-silly :p
Page 4 of 39 [ 1919 posts ]