*~Pets Corner!~*
Pet and animal talk ^.^
They couldn't find anything that was causing her not to eat, and she basically started making her laboured breathing noises she makes when she's stressed out... she died of starvation in the end.

The heartbreaking thing is that she spent her last night in a strange place without us or Leela with her. It must've been horrible. :'(
Poor little bugger :'( that's the only bad side to having pets really-it broke my heart when ours died.

Thing is if she was at home and doing all that it would have left a horrible image of her in both you and Ange's minds and would have upset you more-also I'm sure the vets gave her something to calm her down aswell overnight

The other pigs going to be lonely :'(
I'd just stopped crying at my desk at work then I read this. D'oh.

:(
Oh...poo-sorry Ange.
No more guinea talk now
x
Most inappropriate avatar ever.
myoptika wrote:
The heartbreaking thing is that she spent her last night in a strange place without us or Leela with her. It must've been horrible. :'(

She was sent there in the hope they could make her better though, don't dwell on the negative.
Same thing happened to a kitten that I was raising with my ex-wife. It went missing for a couple of months and then mysteriously re-appeared, stuck underneath the rafters underneath my stairs. It hadn't eaten for a while, obviously, as it was emaciated and was scratching out at anyone trying to help.

We took it to the vets and his heart stopped while they were trying to listen to it :(
Shin wrote:

The other pigs going to be lonely :'(

Depends, we'd been in this situation before. Twice with older pigs (3-4 years old maybe), who both latched onto us to a degree, including one who'd follow you around the kitchen and start pulling on your leg if you went near anything that looked like food. The younger pig (Maybe a year) really didn't get on alone so we got a baby girl and split the cage. Within about 2 hours they'd broken the devide and were curled up together. :D

I guess it'll be at least partly a personality thing.
Leela's very chilled out, so I'm sure she'll be able to integrate with another pig quite easily. Amy was always the naughty one - naughty to the last. :(
At least she did the decent thing and slipped away before costing me an arm and a leg in vets bills.

Who am I kidding, I'd have paid £1,000 to make her better :(
Ange wrote:
At least she did the decent thing and slipped away before costing me an arm and a leg in vets bills.

Guinea pigs never cost much in vet bills because there's never an awful lot the vet can do to fix them :(

Poor little squeaker.
Right, I demand more cheery.

Meet Winston. The single most friendly guinea pig there ever was or will be. He's the trouser puller in the last post. We even took him in the car when we went on holiday to wales because he was more than happy to sit there. When he got bored he'd just climb up on whoever was sitting in the fact and fall asleep there instead.

My point, in so much as I have one, is that he's been dead about 12-13 years now and remembering this still makes me giggle.
Aww, bless. He's cute. :)
He looks like my old guinea :) His name was toblerone (we are a bit shit with pet names,lol)
I thought I would attach a pic of Nanook...

WANTS IT!

Wolfie ^.^*

Even though I'm scared of dogs, I'd love that one-he's loverly :)
Shin wrote:
WANTS IT!

Wolfie ^.^*

Even though I'm scared of dogs, I'd love that one-he's loverly :)

He is a bit soft for a wolf!!

He is an Alaskan Malamute... like a big Husky
Also to attempt to raise the cheery levels - Noodle and Nibbler are both very well at present. They've dealt with the colder weather by constructing some sort of elaborate nest in the bottom of their cage. There used to be a slipper hanging from the bars and an open ended straw ball on the floor of the cage for them to sit in - they've ripped both of these apart and tangled them both together so well that it all stays in one piece whenever I take the cage apart to clean it. They've carefully removed all of the lining in the slipper too and positioned it to line the straw part of the nest-thing for added warmth. At one point, they'd even managed to grab an empty carrier bag that I'd left too close to the cage, slip it through the bars and tear that into pieces to further insulate the nest. They really are extraordinarily clever buggers.

I had to wait until my late twenties before buying them as my father has always had a huge phobia of rats. I currently live with my parents, so could only have them on the condition my dad would never have to see them. Well now he loves them as much as I do - he offered to make me a bacon sarnie one morning a couple of weeks ago which I turned down as I was heading out. Mum later told me he made it anyway, then cut it up into little pieces so he could sit in my room, feeding it to the rats.
I always wanted a husky actually. A pure white female with blue eyes called 'Ocean'

Do rats hibernate like hamsters? I remember the panic I was in when I came home one day to find Syrius doing it! He scared me!! I had to warm him up in my hands and gently maipulate him so he woke up, bloody thing :p hehe
Don't think they do, no.

When I was a kid, we had loads of pets. A dog, numerous rabbits and guinea pigs, two tortoises, various gerbils and hamsters and a few cockateils. One of the cocakteils was pretty amazing - he lived to the age of 22 and hated my father, so my younger brother always used to keep him in his bedroom and the bird ended up absolutely devoted to him. It was not at all unusual to come home from work to find my brother sat in front of the telly in his room with this bird sat on his head, grooming his hair. As he got older though he started to lose control of his bowels, so swings and roundabouts with that one.

My rats though are my favourites in so many ways. They might look like all the other rodents at first glance, but you don't have to spend very long with them to see just how intelligent they are - they've very clearly got a lot more going on upstairs than most similar animals.
Shin wrote:
I always wanted a husky actually. A pure white female with blue eyes called 'Ocean'

Do rats hibernate like hamsters? I remember the panic I was in when I came home one day to find Syrius doing it! He scared me!! I had to warm him up in my hands and gently maipulate him so he woke up, bloody thing :p hehe

Malamutes are a lot friendlier than Huskies...

bad points to both breeds, they have a high prey drive... ie eat anything small and furry, mice, rabbits, cats, etc
KITTIES?!

Don't want a husky then :s

I remember our house (in the middle of our street) was like a menagerie (nearly wrote something else) we had at one point:

1 Golden Rosella (parrot thing) he was ace!
3 budgies
Numerous fish
3 hamsters (2 were mine and 1 was Rae's)
1 black cat (Kitiara)
A small shed that was made for the doves (about 7 of them I think? Long time ago now)
About 6 guinea's and 5 rabbits (mum had the massive shed dedicated to them, we had like a horses door for them-split in half so we could go and check on them in winter without opening the door too far as it was cold)
We had most of them come indoors though-bloody mad house!
I loved it :)
Shin wrote:
KITTIES?!

Don't want a husky then :s

I remember our house (in the middle of our street) was like a menagerie (nearly wrote something else) we had at one point:

1 Golden Rosella (parrot thing) he was ace!
3 budgies
Numerous fish
3 hamsters (2 were mine and 1 was Rae's)
1 black cat (Kitiara)
A small shed that was made for the doves (about 7 of them I think? Long time ago now)
About 6 guinea's and 5 rabbits (mum had the massive shed dedicated to them, we had like a horses door for them-split in half so we could go and check on them in winter without opening the door too far as it was cold)
We had most of them come indoors though-bloody mad house!
I loved it :)

We have had to rescue a cat off him in the past.... it wa steh cats fault would you jump into the garden with him in..

he does have a friend too

<insert picture of spider here>
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!

EDIT: You better hope to god Plissken doesn't come along and see it

Oh, I feel sick :spew:
Edited: It's Plissken. With an E.
Sorry to hear about Amy :(
There was a big poster I saw earlier. It's a great big picture of a spider, with the caption:

"I'm not scared of spiders. I'm scared of my mother dying from smoking."

WTF? Stupid advert. Surely having a picture that's half of a spider, and half of a dead person would have more impact?
Aww I'd love some ratties :D They're on my list of "pets to get after the wedding" as I doubt my Mum would want to look after them while we swan off on honeymoon for 3 weeks.

I can't wait to get home and give my Leela-Pig a big cuddle :)
I'd quite like a ferret or two. However, I have no idea how the dog would react to them.
Depends what kind of dog-I know that sounds silly but from experience it depends on the breed

Ferrets stink to high heaven but are cool! My kind-of-step dad had 3 :)
3 dogs,
1 springer, 1 irish red setter
and something that pretends to be a springer, but god only knows what it actually is
Pundabaya wrote:
I'd quite like a ferret or two. However, I have no idea how the dog would react to them.

We looked after some ferrets, and our dogs quite liked them, was really interested in them, it would depend on the dog really, some would probably try to eat them, some would probably be scared of them.
We had a piggy funeral tonight in the back garden. Matt dug a hole and put Amy in it in a box. Inside the box he put a little note from us & Leela and a flower. We shared funny memories about her and then buried her.

Funny memories included
* When we brought her and Leela home from the shop, we opened the box and they were playing dead. I rang the pet shop in floods of tears, we got back in the car to take them back and Amy started snuffling round in her box
* When we had to give her a bath when she had mites and she looked like a drowned rat
* How we'd put two piles of food in the cage and she'd sit on one and eat the other so Leela couldn't have any
* She hated being groomed and would make angry squeaks while you did it but would snaffle her way through a piece of cucumber at the same time :D

I hope she's popcorning in piggy heaven :)
Yes.

Piggy heaven does exist.
myoptika wrote:
Hi5!

Hell, yeah.
Better keep your pets entertained and mentally stimulated.
MaliA wrote:
Better keep your pets entertained and mentally stimulated.

eh? my cat sleeps 18 hours a day, and when hes not hes eating.
Just went to the local pet shop to buy a new gnaw block for The Boys, and have ended up coming out with 2 adopted Gippynigs. Helen couldn't bear to leave them behind.
Your Helen is obviously great then.
Unfortunately they've both got mites, so I'm having to keep them with me in The Den for the time being. Monday to the vets to get some spot on or something, then they can flop around the living room with Twitch and The Boys.
Aww my piggies have had mites a couple of times. Bathing them with tree oil shampoo from the health food shop did the trick. Leela quite enjoyed her bath :)
That's great Dimmers! Helen is to be commended on her piggy saving skills :)

I used to hate doing mine, the little buggers would leap from the basin they were in and leg it across the room-fond memories are of my mum screaming 'it's going near the tv wires-Aaaaaah!!!' and then everyone diving towards the damned thing.

It was always Galaxy aswell :s damn Piggy :D

How you feeling now Ange?
Shin wrote:

How you feeling now Ange?

I'm OK thanks :) Although I didn't think I'd be this weepy over losing a little ball of fluff :(

We're going to the pet shop the weekend after next to get a new little piggy friend for Leela. To keep the Futurama tradition going we've decided to name her Nibbler :) (I can't wait til we have to have one called Bender)
My PC is Bender. My laptop is Nibbler.

My work PC is Morbo :D

Leela seem ok?
Yeah she's ok. I've had her out every day for big long cuddles and she's been purring away whilst on my lap. She's spent alot of time tucked up in her bedroom as our heating's been broken for the last week but it's fixed now so hopefully she'll be more active.

When I cleaned the cage out she seemed a bit sad though because it meant I'd gotten rid of the last remaining smell of Amy.
If you do decide to get any rats Ange, me and Hell's will look after them while you do the honeymoon thing. If you want, like.
Page 3 of 39 [ 1919 posts ]