New Coins
Conspiricy to make us accept the Euro I reckon.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7326491.stm - Malc-me-do for some nasty looking coinage.

You know what my design would be? Brian May, on the top of Buck House with his guitar while explosions go off in the background. Awesome!
That's the winning design? One has a picture of a shield, and the rest are fragments of that same shield?

Christ, if we fuse them all together will we unlock a secret key to some underground tomb full of treasure*?

* ala tomb raider and countless other naff treasure films.
I like that.

I predict many an evening trying to arrange a shield in a pub.

Or leaving a shield as a tip.
I think they look quite cool, actually.
myoptika wrote:
I think they look quite cool, actually.

Agreed. I actually like them a lot.
Lave wrote:
I like that.

I predict many an evening trying to arrange a shield in a pub.

Or leaving a shield as a tip.

It'll never work because some of them are big, some are small and they won't fit together.

If drunk this may cause people to become violent.

I still prefer my Brian May idea.
I don't like 'em myself, but I approve of the Government deciding this by competition (hope there was a decent prize!) rather than pissing away money on shite branding like they did with the Olympic logo.
I like them and look forward to assembling the set.
Quote:
Mr Dent, who lives in London, received about £35,000 for his designs.

That's decent. Hopefully he'll not be paid in coins...
I like it. It represents how fractured Britain has become.

Also, it will probably be the last generation of British coins if they only update them every 40 years. I can’t image myself still paying for things in coppers in 2048.
KevR wrote:
I like it. It represents how fractured Britain has become.

Also, it will probably be the last generation of British coins if they only update them every 40 years. I can’t image myself still paying for things in coppers in 2048.

They redesign coins all the time, it's just this time they've done them all at once.

You just wait until the Olympics.....
My major foible is; since the old coins are not being phased out, what's the point?
chinnyhill10 wrote:
They redesign coins all the time, it's just this time they've done them all at once.

Well, only the £1 and 50p coins get regular redesigns; the rest have all had the same basic design for decades now apart from slight tweaks and national variants (and ignoring the mini-relaunches in smaller sizes, obv.)

I like a lot.
I think the 20p is my favourite.
Daniel wrote:
chinnyhill10 wrote:

Well, only the £1 and 50p coins get regular redesigns; the rest have all had the same basic design for decades now apart from slight tweaks and national variants (and ignoring the mini-relaunches in smaller sizes, obv.)
I like a lot.

I'm pretty sure they've fiddled with the 20p before, and that's only been around since 1982.
I think the tuppence is best.
KevR wrote:

Well that's just your two pence's worth.
KevR wrote:

I like your tuppence
jonarob wrote:
KevR wrote:

I like your tuppence

Thank you.

I keep it clean using Brasso and Brillo pads.
If you collect the set, can you turn them over and form a big picture of Ian Rush?
I suppose this means we are not getting the Euro anytime soon *sigh*

The coins themselves are great, modern while still being very much "British" looking. The 5p is my favourite, it looks like a Roman coin.

Also dropping Britainia (spelling?) will get the Daily Mailxpress into a right old lather.
They print new coins each year. It's no real extra hassel for them to give them a makeover, especially as the mess about with the £1 and 50ps so much anyway. Plus, they're probably changing the makeup of them*. They like to do that from time to time.

*pure conjecture on my part.
Woooh. I dunno, some of them are, like, a tiny bit sinister looking.

Also, fuck Euros or any other coinage, when do we get Credits?
AND WHERE'S MY £2. MR STARTLED FACE.
Is the complete shield an actual heraldic device of the UK? My knowledge of heraldry isn't exactly up there. Although I know that's a lion rampant at the top right.

If it is, what's with the fucking harp?
It denotes our love of Guinness.
Two lions on a harp; coinage not for eating.
Craster wrote:
Is the complete shield an actual heraldic device of the UK? My knowledge of heraldry isn't exactly up there. Although I know that's a lion rampant at the top right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_coat ... ed_Kingdom
I'm surprised a Welshman chose a design with no reference to Wales.
Pod wrote:
Craster wrote:

From that link:

Attachment:
coats of arms.JPG

I can understand why the Scottish felt the need to add a Scottish flag to their version of the UK coat of arms, but why swap the pointy donkey and the cat around? They're just being awkward.
I love that there's a bit for England, a bit for Scotland, a bit for Ireland, and a bit for Wa...nah, fuck it - just do England's bit again.
Craster wrote:
I love that there's a bit for England, a bit for Scotland, a bit for Ireland, and a bit for Wa...nah, fuck it - just do England's bit again.

Just like the flag, isn't it.

I do think a big fuck off dragon on the Union Jack would be good, though.

Actually, just a dragon. A live one. On a flag pole.

Not sure how you'd do half-mast with that, though.
Mr Chris wrote:
Actually, just a dragon. A live one. On a flag pole.

Close enough

The 2p is from some kind of animal-themed goalkeeper game.
Wales don't get one anything - only full kingdoms get a mention on the flag, apparently (although Ireland "kingdom" claim is pushing it a bit now ). Wales are only a crappy principality, so they get zip.

I like the fact that we had France on the Royal crest until 1801 - we still desperately claimed that we were in change of France as well, despite not owning any of it for about 300 years.
Mr Chris wrote:
Pod wrote:
Craster wrote:

From that link:

Attachment:
coats of arms.JPG

I can understand why the Scottish felt the need to add a Scottish flag to their version of the UK coat of arms, but why swap the pointy donkey and the cat around? They're just being awkward.

It used to be two unicorns. They then added the English flag and the corresponding 'Imperially crowned golden lion of England'. Apparently.
Wales and England had formed a union when the Union Jack/Union flag (whatever) was created, and as Wales was a principality and not a separate kingdom it did not qualify to have it's own place on the flag. I saw this on the news (or maybe QI) a few months ago.
I think I've spotted what's wrong with this country. It's got unicorns in the emblem thing.
That's because it represents England, Scotland, Ireland and Narnia.
kalmar wrote:
I think I've spotted what's wrong with this country. It's got unicorns in the emblem thing.

The unicorn symbolises Scotland. Are you implying the Scots are what’s wrong with this country?

Racist!
The Scots are symbolised by a horse wearing a party hat on its nose?
Mr Chris wrote:
The Scots are symbolised by a horse wearing a party hat on its nose?

No. The Scots are symbolised by a chained up horse wearing a party hat on its nose.
They were chained up in their own scottish heraldic device too, though. So did the Scots see themselves as chained up even before they capitulated to their Southern neighbours? Maybe by their reliance on the French?
Mr Chris wrote:
They were chained up in their own scottish heraldic device too, though. So did the Scots see themselves as chained up even before they capitulated to their Southern neighbours? Maybe by their reliance on the French?

I think they saw themselves as tamed.
Mimi wrote:
Wales and England had formed a union when the Union Jack/Union flag (whatever) was created, and as Wales was a principality and not a separate kingdom it did not qualify to have it's own place on the flag. I saw this on the news (or maybe QI) a few months ago.

True, this is also why Wales has "An assembly", like the local London one and not a Parliament (Like Scotland)
Dudley wrote:
Mimi wrote:

True, this is also why Wales has "An assembly", like the local London one and not a Parliament (Like Scotland)

I believe the difference between having an assembly or a parliament is to do with the legislative powers that have been devolved.
True.

I like pointing out to Welshmen that Wales isn't a country and never has been. It makes them even more angry.

And, IIRC, the Union between England and Scotland came about because of Scots. So they've only got themselves to blame, really.
Plissken wrote:
True.

I like pointing out to Welshmen that Wales isn't a country and never has been. It makes them even more angry.

And, IIRC, the Union between England and Scotland came about because of Scots. So they've only got themselves to blame, really.

I think it was a combination of Scotland being broke and England wishing to ensure that Scotland didn’t make alliances with anyone against them.
voytee wrote:
Also dropping Britainia (spelling?) will get the Daily Mailxpress into a right old lather.

I liked Sir Christopher Frayling's pre-emptive rebuttal on that point: "There are 806 million Britannias in circulation at the moment."

In other news, the Americans have apparently been doing some redesigning, too—somewhat less successfully:

Page 1 of 2 [ 86 posts ]