Non-Genre Specific Music Thread
You... you can't go from Heather Nova to Linkin Park. You just can't, man.
Gary Numan.

That is all.
Davydd Grimm wrote:
You... you can't go from Heather Nova to Linkin Park. You just can't, man.

I bloody can! They are THE best band in the whole wide world

TWO THUMBS FRESH! :p hehe
There is massive evidence to the contrary. I do like Hybrid Theory though.
Davydd Grimm wrote:
There is massive evidence to the contrary. I do like Hybrid Theory though.

*Wrinkles nose in distaste*

I love the fact they wait for ages until they have the songs and the album just right and don't spout off loads of shitty CD's crooning about the same old crap. LP FTW!
My current favourite song of all is Marry Me, by Emilie Autumn

It's as winsome as it is cruel, as jolly as it is horrible. There isn't enough harpsichord and stuff in music these days.

I am excited and listening to funk. The best combination imaginable?
AceAceBaby wrote:
My current favourite song of all is Marry Me, by Emilie Autumn

It's as winsome as it is cruel, as jolly as it is horrible. There isn't enough harpsichord and stuff in music these days.

That's ever so lovely. I might have to check our some of her other works.
Pod wrote:

I think you should see how long you can sit perfectly still for in that state.
Tam wrote:
Pod wrote:

I think you should see how long you can sit perfectly still for in that state.

Why do you ask the impossible of me? Especially now that I've just had a shower and have put on some freshly washed jeans (read: My only useable pair) and am begging to itch a bit...
Curiosity wrote:

That's ever so lovely. I might have to check our some of her other works.

It's from Opheliac. Shalott is a nice track too.
I've got all the 'Golden Oldies' out tonight! Ranging from-Cheap Trick, Bowling for soup, [spunge], The Used, Daft Punk, Offspring, Linkin Park, Greenday, Within Temptation, Maroon 5, Incubus, The Killers, Hoosiers, Korn, Nightwish, The Chilli's, Foo Fighters, Pink Floyd, R.E.M....and the list goes on

Aaaaah, I love my mixed taste in music :)
Hello!

I have just listened to "Expectations" by Belle & Sebastian and really liked it. Heretofore I have considered B&S to be annoyingly twee, but have now revised my opinion. Therefore, what album should I be buying?
Shin wrote:
I've got all the 'Golden Oldies' out tonight! Ranging from-Cheap Trick, Bowling for soup, [spunge], The Used, Daft Punk, Offspring, Linkin Park, Greenday, Within Temptation, Maroon 5, Incubus, The Killers, Hoosiers, Korn, Nightwish, The Chilli's, Foo Fighters, Pink Floyd, R.E.M....and the list goes on

Your definition of "oldie" is somewhat flawed.
Shin wrote:

I'm not being funny, but that's not really mixed at all.
Whoops, it looks like me and Duds are picking on you now. I'm not, at least. ;)
I didn't want to pick on both her points at once, that would be mean. :)
Ah it's fine, everyone's got their own opinion anyway, plus if I get overly bothered by what's said on a forum then I'm pretty sad and don't deserve to get on in life. There's always gotta be one to pick on :DD

The 'oldie's' for me are the one's I haven't listened to in ages I mean, not really the date they were made, so my fault for not making that clear.

I do however thing that the things I've listed are 'mixed' as people always say I have varied music taste
Mr Chris wrote:
Hello!

I have just listened to "Expectations" by Belle & Sebastian and really liked it. Heretofore I have considered B&S to be annoyingly twee, but have now revised my opinion. Therefore, what album should I be buying?

I don't know a great deal about them, but I have The Life Pursuit which I think is excellent. Try that.
Cool - i will venture off into Fopp today and try and locate a copy. Cheers!
Shin wrote:

I do however thing that the things I've listed are 'mixed' as people always say I have varied music taste

Various flavours of rock, mainstream dance and some hip-hop. I wouldn't call that particularly varied.

Bear in mind I really like a lot of the bands you've listed, so I'm not belittling your taste, but with one or two exceptions it's a narrow slice of the massive range music has.
:this:

But then she is young, so has plenty of time to acquire variety if she so desires. However, I can understand people having slightly narrow tastes as the amount of variety out there is overwhelming and there's an awful lot of off-putting rubbish released. This is why threads like this and the mix cd thread are good as they broaden peoples exposure in a risk free way.
Shin wrote:
Ah it's fine, everyone's got their own opinion anyway, plus if I get overly bothered by what's said on a forum then I'm pretty sad and don't deserve to get on in life. There's always gotta be one to pick on :DD

The 'oldie's' for me are the one's I haven't listened to in ages I mean, not really the date they were made, so my fault for not making that clear.

Other than Daft Punk that's almost entirely rock with male singers.. And mostly loud shouty rock.

Also a scandalous lack of Epica if you've got WT and Nightwish in there.
Hey, I wasn't criticising the music, just the statement that it was varied. I remember my music taste was quite similar about ten years ago.
DBSnappa wrote:
:this:

But then she is young, so has plenty of time to acquire variety if she so desires. However, I can understand people having slightly narrow tastes as the amount of variety out there is overwhelming and there's an awful lot of off-putting rubbish released. This is why threads like this and the mix cd thread are good as they broaden peoples exposure in a risk free way.

Haha! You make me feel like a kid again ^.^*
I do splash in puddles and stuff so I guess it's true. I do like loads of other music, but I was tired and didn't want to list it all.

Duds- It's not loud shouty rock, I can actually hear what they are saying-unlike Slip Knot and that, it hurts my ears!
Ooh, this Genuis playlist thing in iTunes 8 seems to actually work.

And it knows the difference between In Your Eyes Kylie and Where The Wild Roses Grow Kylie.

It's quite impressive, actually.
Mr Chris wrote:
Hello!

Their 3 best albums are tigermilk, if you're feeling sinister and the boy with the arab strap.

Expectations was on tigermilk so you may as well start with that album but I recommend them other two after.
Stuart Murdoch has wrote some of the best lyrics during that time and the bands way too good to just dismiss as 'twee'.

Oh once you've had your fill with them 3 albums get the ep, b-side compilation album. push barman to open old wounds, their eps were pretty fucking good aswell.
Which album has the song about Dylon at the movies.

I remember after indie tracks festival everyone had a sing song of that on the train platform and it was lovely.
if your feeling sinister
What about Dear Catastrophe Waitress? You know, the one that one them the Mercury Music prize?

Avoid Storytelling like the plague unless you're going to become a completist, as it's film based and inspired soundtrack stuff, so a bit indulged. Apart from that I would order the albums as follows:

Dear Catastrophe Waitress
Tigermilk
Life Pursuit
Fold Your Hands - Feeling Sinister - Arab Strap
As Runcle has already suggested, Push barman to open old wounds is a compilation of eps and b-sides and they're pretty good at them.
dear catastrophe waitress and life pursuit have a few good pop songs but there no way near as good as the stuff they did in the 90's.
Runcle wrote:
dear catastrophe waitress and life pursuit have a few good pop songs but there no way near as good as the stuff they did in the 90's.

I find The Life Pursuit to be my favourite of theirs, as it's a little more (consistently) upbeat than their previous stuff. They are rather ace though.
I'm really liking David Holmes' new single "I Heard Wonders".

Anyone remember him ? Irish DJ who released some atmospheric electronic albums in the 90's before going on to provide the funky music to the Oceans movies (ie. Oceans 11,12,13) amongst other films.

The new song has elements of shoe-gazing, nu-wave etc. and is rather lovely IMO (he sings on it too, which is a first I think...).
Youtube doesn't do it much justice sound-quality wise, but that's to be expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCBDF4robA
Runcle wrote:
arab strap

BertyBasset wrote:
David Holmes

http://www.zshare.net/audio/1854937034305115/ :DD
BertyBasset wrote:
I'm really liking David Holmes' new single "I Heard Wonders".

Anyone remember him ? Irish DJ who released some atmospheric electronic albums in the 90's before going on to provide the funky music to the Oceans movies (ie. Oceans 11,12,13) amongst other films.

The new song has elements of shoe-gazing, nu-wave etc. and is rather lovely IMO (he sings on it too, which is a first I think...).
Youtube doesn't do it much justice sound-quality wise, but that's to be expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCBDF4robA

Did he do something about "Don't Rhyme No Mo'"?

I liked that one.
Rod's back, first thing he does it put the wretched Nina Simone (?) CD on. I can't stand her singing, it's bloody awful and makes me depressed. I'm going to swap the CD with 'Aqua,' I used to love them when I was younger :D
This week I am mostly listening to the new Amanda Palmer album, entitled 'Who Killed Amanda Palmer?'.

Whilst it is not much of a deviation from her work with The Dresden Dolls (or, perhaps almost identical to it), it's all good stuff.
I just got the Youthmovies album, "Good Nature" and it is markedly my most favourite album of the year.

Edit: Check 'em out
This week I are been mostly listening to 'Way to Normal' by Ben Folds. It's good.
I am listening to the Foo Fighters! Yaaay
Scarysheep3000 wrote:
This week I are been mostly listening to 'Way to Normal' by Ben Folds. It's good.

I love Ben Folds. He produced and plays on most of the Amanda Palmer album I has been listening to.

Is the new album actually out, or is it just 'on the internet'?
Curiosity wrote:
Scarysheep3000 wrote:

I love Ben Folds. He produced and plays on most of the Amanda Palmer album I has been listening to.

It's out to buy in real, actual shops. Came out last week. Definitely worth getting. I'll probably get the Amanda Palmer album at some point, I have one Dresden Dolls album (Yes, Virginia) and it's aces.

Oh, and have you got the new Spinto Band record yet, Curio? Think that's out now.
Scarysheep3000 wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
Scarysheep3000 wrote:

It's out to buy in real, actual shops. Came out last week. Definitely worth getting. I'll probably get the Amanda Palmer album at some point, I have one Dresden Dolls album (Yes, Virginia) and it's aces.

Oh, and have you got the new Spinto Band record yet, Curio? Think that's out now.

My local record shop (the much maligned Zavvi) has neither Ben Folds nor Spinto Band in it. I shall be travelling to HMV at lunchtime to try to get around such shenanigans.

I actually tried to buy the Spinto Band CD in America last week, but it's not released over there yet, and the sales type people hadn't heard of them.

Bah.

I was actually worried that the Amanda Palmer CD might nto sound enough like The Dresden Dolls and that it would put me off. If anything, it sounds too similar! But it's still good. The first three tracks are tops, and it also contains a funny happy up-tempo bouncy number about being raped, having an abortion and eveyone hating you. Which is some achievement.
I'm glad the first three tracks are tops. They're the only ones from the official online store mp3 download for the album that *aren't* the Beach Boys - Californian Girls.

Wah! I have to wait for the CD. :'(
'Gonna go to the country, gonna eat a lot of peaches'

I love this song :)
AceAceBaby wrote:
I'm glad the first three tracks are tops. They're the only ones from the official online store mp3 download for the album that *aren't* the Beach Boys - Californian Girls.

Wah! I have to wait for the CD. :'(

Still, that's a good song too!
I haven't had much success with trying to "do the best thing for the band."

I could have ordered WKAP from play.com and it would have been totally smooth, I'm sure. But I went for the official site order link thing to get the CD and book. The last band I tried to support was Abney Park. They took my $20 then months of my emails being ignored for weeks, and "oh did we have the address right" "oh I'm sure we sent it" and I still don't have a CD I ordered off them. Five months ago. I imagine they spent it on drugs and forgot about it.

Buy your music from vampires in suits on the high street, is my top tip.
Came across this track by James Yuill (who I'd never heard of before) today and I love it.

Probably won't appeal to rock or metal fans mind...

It's a mixture of dance/electronic backing with folksy acoustic guitar and mellow vocals on top.

Really nice track and quite an original sound IMO.

Ok, so the bloke looks a bit like the guys from the Proclaimers, but I won't hold that against him...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5sjMpq_q4NI
AceAceBaby wrote:
Buy your music from vampires in suits on the high street, is my top tip.

Nah, all they've ever got is Ash.

I'll get me coat.
Page 4 of 22 [ 1057 posts ]