Yankee Rules Throwball
NFL season is winding up.
Pundabaya wrote:
Holy crap.

Drew Brees 358 yards passing, 6 touchdown passes.

Admittedly, the Saints were playing The Hapless Detroit Lions.

That's a pretty standard Saints approach isn't it? Brees is probably the next biggest "gunslinger" type QB in the league after Favre. 4 interceptions next week probably.

I probably will forget to check the NFL stuff until baseball season is over, like usual. My NFL season never really starts until November.
Welcome to Chicago, Jay! You pathertic cry baby.
I only saw the first half, but his receivers really didn't help Cutler out. The first two interceptions were both down to the receiver breaking off his route and not fighting for the ball.

And yes, I AM just bitter that I started Cutler over Roethlisberger in my fantasy team.
And the third, and the fourth.

Yes, Chicago, you can start a defensive back/kick returner turned wr, a rookie and a second year player who barely played in his rookie year as your WR corps. Just don't expect them to be as good as Marshall, Royal, and Stokely were last year for the Broncs. Or good in general.

Also, the Bears Offensive line was pretty terrible, which didn't help.
after finishing 0-16, didn't the lions get some nice draft picks then?
I have a theory about the Lions... they have had so many high draft picks, and have had to pay so much money for them, that they never have enough money for a decent supporting cast, and are consequently doomed to failure.

Case in point, their new quarterback, Stafford, has played as many NFL games as Eli Manning has Superbowl rings.. guess who is on more money? Give you a clue... it's not Peyton's little brother.
So the Packers won then? :D
The Lions should have retired as a team when Barry went.
Especially as Barry went, in his prime, because the Lions were a shit team.
The most amazing news of the season so far has come out of the Motor City...

The Detroit Lions have....

Won a game!!!!!!
The Redskins were rubbish though, can't see Zorn keeping his job for very much longer.

Oh and by the way, where the fuck is Monday Night Football? Bloody ESPN aren't even carrying it.
I love American Football. I support the laughably useless Cincinatti Bengals and what did they do? Beat the Steelers! And what did they do in the previous weeks? Get beat by the flukey, crap Broncos and then narrowly beat a decent Green Bay outfit.

I love American Football because it's completely unpredictable. Premier League, take note.
Morte wrote:
Oh and by the way, where the fuck is Monday Night Football? Bloody ESPN aren't even carrying it.

The rights for this season weren't sorted out until incredibly late in the day. They still haven't agreed a MNF deal, with ESPN and Sky apparently still in the running. It might be sorted later in the season but don't hold your breath.

More irritatingly, the red-button games have gone from Sky just as I've discovered the Sky Player. Simultaneously watching the cricket and the Jets-Titans tilt on Sunday evening worked really well given the stop-start nature of both games, so I can imagine having two Helmetball games on the go at once would be just as awesome. Also: only having one game puts us fully at the mercy of the Sky producers and their often-iffy scheduling. Bills-Buccs? Really? REALLY?
It is essentially true of American sports as a whole, because they understand that competition is exciting, and processions to the Championship by one or two teams over and over again is not. The draft system is the biggest factor, and makes the baseball interesting from year to year (witness Tampa Bay last season) but NFL's salary cap does level the playing field dramatically. It's no coincidence that my interest in top flight football has waned greatly the more I've started watching US sport regularly.

Also> MNF next week should be interesting. Even more so if it clashes with a baseball play-off (and I mean that in the most literal sense, with the Metrodome being booked to host both matches should the playoff occur)
Lord Rixondale wrote:
Get beat by the flukey, crap Broncos

I'd call it not flukey, but an excellent play by Stokely, made because the Bengals were standing around watching.

Like one of them couldn't have chased down the 33 year old, in his 10th season in the NFL wide receiver with knackered knees.

I mean he, ran almost the width of the field after getting to the goalline to burn clock, and there was still no Bengal near him. The catch was a fair amount of luck combined with good WR play (half the WRs in the league would have given up their routes as soon as the pass was thrown), but it shouldn't have resulted in a touchdown.
Pundabaya wrote:
Lord Rixondale wrote:
Get beat by the flukey, crap Broncos

I'd call it not flukey, but an excellent play by Stokely, made because the Bengals were standing around watching.

To be honest mate, I thought the whole thing was pretty damn funny. After being a Bungles fan for about 7 years now, I am used to them snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (see a couple of years back when they missed an extra point to miss the playoffs).

And as for the Broncos - 3 and 0. Who'd a thunk it? And the Bungles should make it 3-1 as they will be facing the hapless Browns on Sunday.
The Browns, worst team in the NFL? Hmmm, could be.

Quote:
Cleveland possession results in the Browns' past four quarters: fumble, punt, punt, punt, punt, interception, interception, punt, punt, punt, end of half, interception, field goal, punt, interception, interception, punt, end of game

Taken from Mr Easterbrook's excellent TMQ article.
[quote="Morte"]The Browns, worst team in the NFL? Hmmm, could be.[quote]

The Browns are a popular team in my pub. So much so, that every year a vast amount of money is put on them to make it to the playoffs (probably a good £500). I wish they'd give the money to me instead of Joe Coral.

I shouldn't laugh too much. I've lost tons on the Bungles over the years...
Pah, I'm a Raiders fan so I mock your suffering. At least you have a QB...and don't have Al.
The Raiders seem to be really... bad... this season. I mean really, really bad. Not just traditional Raiders terribleness, but even worse.

Usually, they manage to give the Broncos a game at the Black Hole, no matter how bad the team is playing. But this time they folded like some sort of electrified folding machine. Brrr. Darth Davis needs to give it up.
Pundabaya wrote:
The Raiders seem to be really... bad... this season. I mean really, really bad. Not just traditional Raiders terribleness, but even worse.

Usually, they manage to give the Broncos a game at the Black Hole, no matter how bad the team is playing. But this time they folded like some sort of electrified folding machine. Brrr. Darth Davis needs to give it up.

That's never going to happen, we can't even wait until he dies as he died in 1993 (Truefact).
The unbeaten Broncs play host to the Patsies, who have been a bit inconsistent... beating the mostly terrible Bills by a point, getting lucky against the Ravens...

After the hoopla in the offseason, the Broncos are playing awesome defence. And putting pressure on the QB for the first time in years. They also only have two turnovers, both fumbles... who'd have thunk it with Kyle 'Not good enough for the Bears' Orton under centre.
Stick a half decent QB behind a good O Line and he'll look like a star, you just have to look at Monday's game with Farve. Meanwhile poor old Rodgers is in danger of getting killed starting behind that Green Bay line...he still managed to throw over 300 yards and when he had time to throw you can see the Packers made the right choice when they got rid of Old Big 'Ed.
It helps, but so does having a running game and having good receivers ( see Culpepper, Daunte).
So in conclusion: Farve is an ego on wheels that is made to look good by the rest of the team.

AGREED.
Favre was great... he was infuriating as hell to watch in his prime, every time rushers got close, he'd leg it out to the numbers and throw a perfect spiral to an open receiver.

Current Favre? Well, he's still good enough to do what the Vikings want him to do, which is hand the ball off, and throw the occasional pass. Which is all you need if you've got a running game like that.

Compare the careers of Dan Marino and Trent Dilfer... One is one of the best pure quarterbacks ever, but never won the Superbowl.. largely due to the fact that Marino never had a great running game or defense. Dilfer? Journeyman, reasonably accurate, not got a big arm. Won the Superbowl off the back of the Ravens' killer defense and good ground game. American Football at the pro level is like the ultimate team game. A QB just cannot beat the opposing team on his own.
uh-oh, Giants 31 - Raiders 7... at the half.
Damn turnovers are costing my Bengals...
What we have 7 points? Did we buy them?

/He he, seems the coaches have learnt something, over 3 and a bit quarters Russel has only thrown 11 times.
Woo! Bengals win!
Very impressed with the Falcons and their offensive play calling. Loads of fakes, playactions, etc. SF look a shadow of the team that took the field in the last few weeks.
Yeeeeeessss! Broncos win a nailbiter against the Pats!
Pundabaya wrote:
Yeeeeeessss! Broncos win a nailbiter against the Pats!

Awesome. Love when the Pats lose.
Just watching various highlights on NFL.com, man can Ricky Williams still run the ball.
The Raiders... win! Beating the Eagles, who've looked good the last couple of games...

Patriots annihilate the Titans 59-0.... the Titans QBs managing to get into negative passing yards...

Saints give the Giants a good kicking too.
Well JaMarcus Russell was benched yesterday and the Bruce Gradkowski era has begun. I predict only great things can come of this.

oh wait.
Top Ten Jerseys Seen At Wembley On Sunday

He Turned Up A Third Of The Way Through The Game
10. Michael Crabtree, 49ers.

A World Of Bad Choices
9. Derek Anderson, Browns

He's A High Draft Pick What Can Possibly Go Wrong?
8. Cade McNown, Bears
7. Vince Young, Titans

The Purist's Choice
6. Sammy Morris, Patriots
5. Vinny Testaverde, Bucs (Orange Throwback)
4. Walter Payton, Bears

They Were Out Of Nnamdi Asomugha
3. JaMarcus Russell, Raiders

From Our OJ Collection
2. Steve McNair, Ravens

The Hole In The Thigh Of His Jeans Put It Over The Top
1. Plaxico Burress, Giants
I totally forgot Steve McNair was killed ?:|

And it was only a few months ago.

I can't wear either of my NFL jerseys now... Brett Favre Packers and Michael Vick Falcons. Pretty obvious why :'(
/Goes off to hug his Marcus Allen and Jerry Rice Raiders shirts.
After several comedy efforts (#83 Moss the year before the Jets traded him, #10 Pennington just before he blew his shoulder out the second time, #63 Dewayne Robertson, er, at any time) I made the rule that I wouldn't buy another jersey with the number of an active player on it. So I rocked the #28 Martin on Sunday.

A guy a few rows ahead of us had a Jets #4 on. Ouch.
Maybe he was a big fan of Glenn Foley or Pat Ryan?
Yeah, always buy throwbacks if possible... when I get round to purchasing a new Broncos jersey, its goping to be either Smith '80' in Navy Blue, or the orange Elway '7'.

Though that isn't always guarenteed, I wonder how many Bills 'Simpson' jerseys have been burnt.
Morte wrote:
/Goes off to hug his Marcus Allen and Jerry Rice Raiders shirts.

/hugs his Rod Woodson Steelers jersey.

Never did get a fucking Bus one. :(
So then, after a frankly extraordinary start to the season, are my beautiful Bengals going to win the Superbowl or wot?

Or are they going to balls things up in a predictably stupid manner.
Lord Rixondale wrote:
So then, after a frankly extraordinary start to the season, are my beautiful Bengals going to win the Superbowl or wot?

I'd go for the second option myself...
Lord Rixondale wrote:

WHO DEY!!!

I should get an Ochocinco shirt.

:D
Pundabaya wrote:
Lord Rixondale wrote:

I'd go for the second option myself...

You are no doubt correct, but I (and my bank manager) hope you are wrong.
Curiosity wrote:
Lord Rixondale wrote:

WHO DEY!!!

I should get an Ochocinco shirt.

:D

I desperately want Chad Ochocinco to get traded to Detroit. Why?

Detroit have retired number 85.
Giants lost again. :(
Well, I'm pleased to see that the buccaneers finally won a game, removing the possibility of a winless season for any team.

My preferred team also won, which is also good.
Page 3 of 16 [ 798 posts ]