Lego (picture-rich thread)
lubbly stuff

this is weirdly serious in tone
I really enjoyed that right up until the spelling mistake at the end.

Ruined.

Shame.
TheVision wrote:
I really enjoyed that right up until the spelling mistake at the end.

Ruined.

Shame.

Oh, I dindt spot that
Bicycle lanes in lego. Sipport the page! https://twitter.com/fietsprofessor/stat ... 5214466049

JBR wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
As I am a massive child, I'm very tempted by the new Sesame Street sets.

They look really good.

Attachment:
Sesame.png

I don't really do Lego but considered buying this for the cookie monster minifigure... turns out it's £109.99 :o Gaz says that's too much to spend for one single minifigure :DD
Jem wrote:
JBR wrote:
Dimrill wrote:
As I am a massive child, I'm very tempted by the new Sesame Street sets.

They look really good.

Attachment:
Sesame.png

I don't really do Lego but considered buying this for the cookie monster minifigure... turns out it's £109.99 :o Gaz says that's too much to spend for one single minifigure :DD

Buy it, and sell the set after to recoup the costs..

or ebay for the figure - https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... s&_sacat=0
Yeah, I had a look on ebay just before my run, but it looks like the only ones in stock are in Japan/USA so no idea what I'd end up paying for delivery, customs fees etc. Probably should just stop being a big child :DD
Jem wrote:
Probably should just stop being a big child :DD

I would agree, bit I have just bought a lego batcave. :)
Jem wrote:
Probably should just stop being a big child :DD

Never!

Might be a while away yet, but I'd be happy to look out for one for you next time we are in the states (hopefully this year). :)
Ahh, that'd be great! I'll probably keep a stealthy eye on ebay in the mean time. :D
I'm not driving us to that Lego shop again.
Jem wrote:
Ahh, that'd be great! I'll probably keep a stealthy eye on ebay in the mean time. :D

Plan! :smug:
Joans wrote:
I'm not driving us to that Lego shop again.

You loved it there! :D
I did. I just can't see us being anywhere near it again.
There's a new, big, Space Shuttle kit coming out tomorrow. It looks really good and would sit nicely alongside the Saturn V.

As a kid I had an airfix model of the Saturn V and a poster of the Shuttle launching.

Simply put.... WANT
It does look kinda cool.
Tempting, but I have three sets (including the Saturn V) to make so probably should hang off for a bit.
Got a bit stuck on the Statue of Liberty and think I might need to backtrack a bit to see where I've gone wrong.
I did a Minecraft set with The Boy over the weekend and the instructions were wrong. If we'd followed them to the letter, the ender dragon would have no neck and an extra long tail
Have you ever built any of the Ninjago dragons? I'm guessing the Ender Dragon might have a lot of similarities.

My eldest loves the minecraft lego too.
In case you don't see the same things I do, Emma Kennedy has made a Death Spa, complete with Palpatine as DJ, botox for a stormtrooper and more:

Attachment:
Death Spa 1.jpeg

Attachment:
Death spa 2.jpeg

Attachment:
Death Spa 3.jpeg

Attachment:
Death Spa 4.jpeg

(https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/ ... 43681?s=20)
This too me back to my childhood.

Was a great build.

Goodness knows where it will go
Magnificent.

Is the Joker giving Dick's pole a good humping?
JBR wrote:
Magnificent.

Is the Joker giving Dick's pole a good humping?

Yes he is.. :)
That looks brilliant, I bet it kept you good for ages! :D
what? no celebrity minifig leaning out of the window in amazement as the dynamic duo wall-walk past them?
GazChap wrote:
what? no celebrity minifig leaning out of the window in amazement as the dynamic duo wall-walk past them?

I will have to set one up.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
That looks brilliant, I bet it kept you good for ages! :D

All day. A good chill day after my second vaccine.
I tried the 'Brickit' app and was very impressed, and had a nice time with my son trying it out.

You basically spread out your big pile of lego and the app uses the camera to 'scan' the pile and suggest things you can build based on the bricks you have. It can also help you locate the pieces that you need for that build, by highlighting where in the pile that brick was seen.

It seems dead clever, probably full of 'machine learning' or some other swishy fancy modern name. Available on iDevices only currently.
I think I’m going to get this for the summer holidays.
That sounds great! How accurate have you found it?
We've only really had one go with it, and it was somewhat accurate but it's pretty clear that it will do far better with the bricks spread 'flat' like a monolayer rather than in a flattened(ish) pile where there are bricks on top of bricks, partially obscuring each other. You can also 'rescan' the brick pile partway through to help with finding the pieces, which is especially useful with an 8 year old rummaging through them and disturbing it all.

I was incredibly impressed. I think the big thing is that it provides is a little bit of inspiration to get going and then the fun comes in the creativity of problem solving, like when we didn't have the exact bit (like the angled pieces) but were able to use similar pieces for an overall well matched outcome. Of course the colours can be all over the place but that's also part of the charm.

The boy is totally into Star Wars so he made me go through all the possibilities until we found a Star Wars set for us to build. I thought it came out pretty well and we had fun together, it was rewarding to find the pieces we needed, and later on if a better bit turned up we could go back and improve it.

I wouldn't expect it to be able to do a big build kit but it's great for little ideas.
Here's the pile of Lego that we used. I didn't put much effort into preparing it

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 10.02.49 pm.png

It suggested we had most of the pieces for this little set:

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 10.03.09 pm.png

You can tap each brick type and the app will show you where on the original scan it thinks you will find that piece. This was a bit janky but I thought of it more as being pointed in the right direction instead of having to go through the entire pile

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 10.03.16 pm.png

Here's the final result, and Boy was most pleased with it

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 10.03.27 pm.png
I found the final result somewhat reminiscent of the Harlequin version of the VW Polo that was around in the late 90s
Wow, yeah that works great. Think I'll show the kids this and see if it will respire their interest.

My brain would not allow me to build in random colours though.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
I found the final result somewhat reminiscent of the Harlequin version of the VW Polo that was around in the late 90s

Which was MaliCool
Does Kov have a similar app for designing his trainers?
Zardoz wrote:
Does Kov have a similar app for designing his trainers?

The trainers and the lego spaceship, both made by 8 year olds in questionable conditions
My trainers are awesome... thank you very much :)
I was chatting with a friend about Lego, and we both recall having quite a lot of Lego trees in with our Lego when we were kids. Nowadays it seems like not many sets come with trees at all. In fact I think all the lego trees we have came from where we have acquired older sets and mixed them in.

I wonder if there's a reason for this, or if it's a faulty recollection of the past.
I was given the Lego Space Shuttle for my birthday, and it looks like a fun build. The kids helped me put together the Hubble telescope :smug: (and have already managed to lose an antenna from it :facepalm: ).
The Space Shuttle is going to be pretty big when assembled
That is massive.. looks a good build though
Just ‘2’ bags in.
I’ve started on the shuttle tonight. Not a Christmas gift, but it can’t be Christmas without Lego.
Half way though.
That was a really fun build.
The kids got a lot of Lego for Christmas, the AT-AT Walker and the Mario Lego were two highlights.
The Walker is pretty big, nicely detailed. As you'd imagine it isn't terribly stable.
Page 15 of 16 [ 797 posts ]