My blog - rick's philosophies
morning,

i already had lots of english things on my site, but only now though it would be handy to have a button marked english , so you guys don't have to wade through the dutch articles (to see me drunk,m you still have to see the dutch articles, in the party category)

so if you want to read anything about videogames, football, urban planning, developing countries, the mind sport of Go and lots of other stuff, see
My English blog
Dutch is the best language ever. I don't understand a word of the Dutch bits (and of course wouldn't, unless you'd had a bit that said "these tables are reserved for non-smokers", which is the only Dutch I know, despite my Grandad having been a Dutchman), but I love reading it nonetheless.
As an English-only speaker Dutch sounds so familiar (when spoken, anyway) that you feel sure that you're understanding it, only to realise you haven't understood a single word by the end of each sentence.

I was once out with a cockney guy who had a business in the Netherlands. His mobile rang and he started speaking in Dutch, but with a really thick cockney accent. I could still clearly hear his accent even though he wasn't speaking English. I couldn't stop laughing.
Ste Pickford wrote:
As an English-only speaker Dutch sounds so familiar (when spoken, anyway) that you feel sure that you're understanding it, only to realise you haven't understood a single word by the end of each sentence.

Indeed. What makes it weirder is that in French, you can often hazard a guess at words' meaning as they sound a bit similar to the corresponding English word, but you really can't do the same with Dutch. I'm guessing they have different roots.
I'm going to make an educated guess at 'filosofeert'. But nothing else.
yup,structurally english and dutch are very closely related, with friusian sitting in the middle.. but the vocabukary interchange between french and english has bene bigger, due to the hundred years war and stuff... (although we use so many originally english words in these computer days)

filosofeert is not an often used words but means a bit like "dreaming up new philosophies", but i'm not sure you can make philosophy it into a verb in english
For a crazy Dutch man, Romanista isn't that crazy. I was disappointed.

Is that you, romanista? The one with the shirt on, I mean. ;-)
Haha! Your face on this one is excellent!
@chris, ypu it is, in august last year
Not as excellent as that t-shirt.
Unless I'm mistaken, that's not Mrs Romanista. You dawg. ;-)
The only thing I know about Dutch is the "ger.....'d" form. A 'friend' of mine runs some silly browser based MMO planetarion rip off thing and some dutch guy once emailed him. He got his house mate at the time to translate it and apparently "gerhaxed" or something similiar means "hacked". Of course, for the next two years "gerhaxed" was the completely serious way to describe any form of computer mischiefery.

Also, what are those giant magic wands doing in the picture with the sexy lady? Is it Sooty's garden?
well the festival WAS called welcome to the future, so those wands may become normal

Pod, lose the -r in ger.. our way to write i have hacked something is indiend ik heb het Gehackt (which incidentally also means minced beef in dutc), and this for is used for lots of words we imported, like geprint, geforumd, gegamed etc..

(the d/t thing on the end is one of the most difficult things in dutch grammar)
I can't imagine how you are even doing that with your arm, Romanista:
It looks a tad painful! In that picture you remind me a bit of Tim Robins:

I'm wanting some of those bendy wand things on my balcony.
His arm's on backwards!
It looks like he's going for the bag.
And she's totally wise to it, too, Mali - you can see she's moving the bag forward while continuing to smile in the hopes he doesn't notice.
His pants don't appear to fit. They're as bad as Parkies.

Post some more pictures that we can abuse you about, please!
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]