Magazines
(R-M-D)
Despite a large pile of unfinished books, I never have anything to read.
I used to get 'Prospect' but after an agonisingly self-indulgent set of articles on those crazy middle-class Marxists of 1968, as well as the magazine becoming increasingly technocratic in tone, I haven't renewed. Anyone know of any decent general interest publications? I'm too shy to hang around in the magazine section of Borders for any length of time.

(I subscribe to 'Private Eye' and that's about it).
The Fortean Times is the best magazine on the planet.
National Geographic found new and odd things to interest me every month for most of my adolescence. And no, I don't mean topless african women.
The Week might be up your street, but I'm not sure if it counts as "general interest".
If by 'general interest' you mean 'general entertainment', then Word magazine is normally a safe bet. It's the Mojo magazine for people who don't drink real ale.
Could I open the topic up and find out what people read to keep up with music? I've kind of lost touch with all things musical recently and would love to catch up with what people are listening too.

I've been recommended classic rock magazine and this seems up my street but what does everyone else read?
I can't quite summon the will to cancel my Edge sub, and I keep meaning to subcribe to Juxtapoz.
I just sub to Retro Gamer and GamesTM. Between them they are an interesting geeky/gamey read, and I get to "support" CraigG, and this month Mr.Stu too =)
Thanks for the suggestions: I'll probably grab a selection next time I'm out and see if they can fill the void.
I won a sub to SFX which I'm considering renewing now it has run out. great reviews of comics, DVDs, books and film releases. Loads of spoilers for TV shows yet to be aired here (if you're into that sort of thing). Actual decent interviews (about three a month) with people you've heard of eg. Pratchett, David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, a roundup of nice toys for sale at Forbidden Planet, and a general feeling of geekery being acceptable and warm.
Sheepeh wrote:
I just sub to Retro Gamer and GamesTM. Between them they are an interesting geeky/gamey read, and I get to "support" CraigG, and this month Mr.Stu too =)

GamesTM were utterly wrong about Apollo Justice, and I think the reviewer can't have played past the first case or two. Boo to lazy games reviewers.
But they were utterly, utterly right about AssCrud. In my opinion.

I do wish they'd go back to having reviewer names and things like AP, but for now they tend to match up with my thoughts on the main. I only really use mags for information rather than review scores anyway, these days. The only definate source I really use is this forum and it's offshoots. I must look in to Space Invaders Extreme after Craig's bit on Revert to Saved actually.
Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]