THE BETEO COOKBOOK
Lush Spanish Omelette first!
1990 was a hundred-odd years ago?

No wonder I did better than you at maths.

And they stopped using brawn due to the BSE scares. Which happened a *wee* bit less than a hundred years ago... in the 1990s.
I've just had two big fat pork and chorizo burgers from Sainsburys. Very spicy, pretty awesome. Recommended.
Oops. Thought it said 1900. Well I'm still right, so nyer.
Craster wrote:
Oops. Thought it said 1900. Well I'm still right, so nyer.

Only in so far as "it has the same basic ingredients now (but never used to), less blood, but doesn't have the same spices, or indeed the same basic ingredients in the same proportions" is "right". See also - pancakes and yorkshire puddings being "the same".
I just had the best mince (I say mince it's really stew made with minced beef) since I've redicovered that I like it.

I used Tesco's Minced Meat (the one that says less than 20% fat on it) - 300g
Carrots - 2
New Potatoes - 10
Onion - 1
Can of Garden Peas - 1
Beef Oxo Cube - 2
Salt
Black Pepper

1) Take the Mince and seperate it out as much as possible, place in a large pan.

2) Take the onion, peel it and chop it up as finely as you can, put it into the pan with the meat

3) Take the oxo cubes, break them up over the meat, adding the salt and pepper too

4) Boil a kettle of water and pour this over the mixture so that everything is covered by the water.

5) Stir the mince and onions until it's quite mixed. Put the pan on a low heat and let it simmer for an hour

6) Add the potatoes (you can chop them if needed, but I used baby news and they are just the right size) and stir the contents of the pan again. Let this simmer for another hour.

7) Peel and slice the carrots add these to the mixture, once again stir the pan, and let simmer for a further 30 minutes

8) Open the can of peas and either heat them up in a seperate pan or in a dish in the microwave, once heated up, add them to the mixture (but not the water) and stir again, leaving to simmer for a further 15 minutes.

9) It's ready, this should do about 3-4 people, leave the juices in the pan if your feeling healthy, or add it to your plate/bowl if you want some more taste!

Yum Yum! Oh and it only costs about £2.00 in ingrediants too.

Malc
Making me feel hungry this thread!

Probably the best place to post this little nugget: Aldi 'Best of Range' Quarter Pound Aberdeen Angus Burgers are the best burgers I have ever eaten. Anywhere. Get some, even you salad botherers, it'll do you good.
Any recipes anyone? :)
Dave's spicy chicken concoction

One large onion
2 cloves of garlic
4 slices of green back bacon
3 chicken breasts on the bone (supremes if you go to a butcher)
500ml of Passata
Dessert spoon of Thyme
heaped Teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
water
salt and pepper

Put some oil in a largish heavy bottomed pan and put on a medium heat. Preheat the oven to 180C
Finely slice the onion and put into hot oil, get it going for a minute or so then turn the heat lower - this helps soften the onions faster. Cook on a gentle heat for about 10 mins or so, but don't burn them. Add the finely chopped garlic in the last minute or so otherwise it'll burn.
While the onion is cooking, place the three chicken breasts in an oven proof dish (large enough to accommodate them but not too big), season with salt, pepper, sprinkle the cayenne over the chicken liberally, add the thyme, then pour the passata over the top and add enough water to almost but not entirely cover the chicken breasts - give it a swizzle to mix it together. Then slice the bacon into strips and chuck that in and try and disperse them.

Lastly, add the cooked onions and garlic, mix it in, try and not leave too much of the onion mix exposed on the top of the chicken or it'll burn. Cover in foil, bung it in the over for 30-35 mins. Pull out, remove foil, give the sauce a stir, then put it back in for 20-30 minutes depending on the size of the breasts. Baste occasionally.

Serve with brown rice preferably or potato of your choice.
Stick your oven on at 180 Celcius, get some chicken (Breasts, thighs, whatever), say 250 grammes worth for 2 people. Drop that in a pyrex rectangular dish thing. Get a lemon, squeeze the juice out, keep the husk. (PROTIP: sticking a lemon in a microwave for a minute makes it easier to squeeze if you don't have a squeezer). Stick the lemon juice in a bowl. Add one tablespoon of honey. Mix it up. Pour that over the chicken. Add two sprigs of rosemary or thyme, and also add the lemon husks which you've cut up into 6ths or so. make it look nice. Season with sea salt and black pepper (Sea salt is a bit chunkier than normal salt)

Slam it in the oven for 40 minutes or so, until the chicken is cooked. When that's done, pour the juices off, boil it up, then simmer for 5 minutes, before pouring back over. Season some more if you want to. Serve with whatever you want, but i did it with roasted vegetables yesterday and it was good
Edited: Copied in from other thread.
MY potato and leek soup.

I have recently got a slow cooker, and thus this is for a slow cooker.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED
* About 500g of potatoes (something like Maris Piper will do.)
* A couple of onions. Medium sized.
* Two big leeks - Tesco do two huge Value range leeks pre-packed for under a quid. These are perfect.
* A litre of vegetable stock. Boiling, if you're doing this in a slow cooker.
* Double cream. About 150-200ml.
* A couple of chopped cloves of garlic.
* Weak lemon drink.

Peel the potatoes, and chop them into rough chunks. Doesn't matter how they look, as we'll be doing MORE to them soon enough, but right now chop them fairly small; no bigger than an inch or so.

Do similar with leeks; get rid of the root, and the horrid floppy bits at the other end. Chop them lengthways and then widthways.

And with onions? Do the same to those.

This is easy.

Stick your slow cooker on high, and pour in the boiling stock. Now lob in everything else. Stick the lid on. After half an hour, turn it down to low and wait for about three more hours. (Or do it all on low for around four or five hours.)

You can drink your weak lemon drink at this point.

After the time is up, you want to stop the soup being chunky. I do this with a hand blender, but you can also use a masher, if you want it still a bit chunky.

Now add in the cream; this bit isn't essential, but does add a lot of flavour and makes the colour far more appealing. Mix it all together, chuck the lid back on and wait another half hour or so.

Serve in a bowl and eat with a spoon.

All timings are entirely approximate; as a general rule, if the veg is soft when you test it, it's done and ready for blending.

Makes four big bowlfuls at least.
As this has re-emerged, I'll stick in last night's dinner and tonight's dinner.

Sea Bass with a Chorizo and Mixed Bean Cassoulet

2 Fillets Sea Bass
200g chorizo - preferably fresh rather than cured.
1 tin mixed beans
1/2 tin tomatoes
4 shallots
2 cloves of garlic
1 pint chicken stock
Good pinch of sugar
Seasoning

Dice the garlic and shallots, and roughly chop the chorizo. Throw into a saucepan with a little oil and gently heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently - enough time for the onion to soften and for the lovely paprika oil to come out of the chorizo. Drain the tin of beans and add to the pan, along with all the other ingredients, seasoning well. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for about an hour. Keep an eye on it - if all the liquid vanishes, throw in more as needed, although you want to end up with a mostly dry dish.

About 10 minutes before the cassoulet is ready, season both sides of the sea bass fillets then lay them side down in plain flour. Melt a good knob of butter and a splash of oil in a frying pan, then lay in the fish. Cooking time depends a bit on the size of the fillets, but about 5 minutes skin-side down then 2 minutes flesh-side down is probably about right.

Serve a good portion of the cassoulet with the fish sitting on top.
KALMAR'S SPECIAL BEANS ON TOAST:

Cut 4 rounds of bread and put them on tin foil under the grill to brown.
Turn over and spread on contents of 1 can good quality Baked Beans.
Slice a chilli thinly and sprinkle over beans
Grate cheese to cover the slices (or scheeze if you don't eat cheese)
Drizzle with oil
Grill on medium heat until it's all sizzling hot and the cheese is melted
Add salt, pepper and large quantities of worcester sauce.

Serve with a mug of tea.
Eat with a knife and fork.
We have tons of fucking mice in our freezer. I did a nice bolognaise yesterday but it was just out of a cookbook so I won't bother posting it up here.

But....

Has anyone got any super-lovely and delicious ideas for several meals so we can use up our mince?
I am so glad you managed to spell it "mince" at the end of your post.
I was getting a little worried... :spew:
Ha ha, oops. I'll leave that there for teh lulz.

?:|

Although I could have replied 'Well, times are hard' :p
Braised Lamb Shanks

Serves 2

Marinade:
600ml Iron-rich red wine. I used a Malbec, but a Rioja or Chianti would do nicely.
Slug of balsamic
Couple sprigs of rosemary
Handful of peppercorns
Half a dozen chopped anchovy fillets

The Rest:
2 lamb shanks
8 shallots
2 cloves of garlic
100g cubed pancetta

The night before eating, put your lamb shanks in a container, and add all the marinade ingredients above. Cover and put in the fridge. If the marinade doesn't cover the shanks, then turn them in the morning.

When ready to cook, remove the lamb shanks from the marinade, pat dry and set aside. Dice 4 of the shallots and the garlic, and fry up in a large oven-safe pan with the pancetta for about 5 minutes to colour and render down some of the fat from the pancetta. While this is frying, roll the shanks in seasoned flour and brown lightly in a frying pan, about a minute on each side. Add the shanks to the pan containing the shallots/pancetta. Add the remaining 4 shallots whole.

Pour in all of the marinade and a pint of beef stock and season. Cover and place in a 180oC oven for about two hours, turning the lamb and stirring a couple of times during cooking.

The lamb will come out full of flavour and so tender it practically falls off the bone. Serve the shanks with some spuds and some of the strained cooking liquid.
Quoted for Sir Taxalot

Malc wrote:
I just had the best mince (I say mince it's really stew made with minced beef) since I've redicovered that I like it.

I used Tesco's Minced Meat (the one that says less than 20% fat on it) - 300g
Carrots - 2
New Potatoes - 10
Onion - 1
Can of Garden Peas - 1
Beef Oxo Cube - 2
Salt
Black Pepper

1) Take the Mince and seperate it out as much as possible, place in a large pan.

2) Take the onion, peel it and chop it up as finely as you can, put it into the pan with the meat

3) Take the oxo cubes, break them up over the meat, adding the salt and pepper too

4) Boil a kettle of water and pour this over the mixture so that everything is covered by the water.

5) Stir the mince and onions until it's quite mixed. Put the pan on a low heat and let it simmer for an hour

6) Add the potatoes (you can chop them if needed, but I used baby news and they are just the right size) and stir the contents of the pan again. Let this simmer for another hour.

7) Peel and slice the carrots add these to the mixture, once again stir the pan, and let simmer for a further 30 minutes

8) Open the can of peas and empty contents into pan and stir again, leaving to simmer for a further 20 minutes.

9) It's ready, this should do about 3-4 people, leave the juices in the pan if your feeling healthy, or add it to your plate/bowl if you want some more taste!

Yum Yum! Oh and it only costs about £2.00 in ingrediants too.

Malc

Recently I have been adding chopped Swede at the same time as the potatoes aswell

Malc
I had a "late in from work and feel ill cannot be arsed to cook" evening.

So: coarsely chop red onions, sautee in a ovenproof pot over a low heat. When softened, add some garlic (lazy garlic in jar for me), stir, and add a pack of sausages; preferably some robustly flavoured ones. Fry for ten minutes or so to cook the sausages. Add a tin of baked beans (yes, baked beans), some tomato ketchup, and random dollops of stuff from your sauce cupboard (tonight that was Reggae Reggae sauce and tobasco). Put in oven for 45 min or so. Meanwhile, peel potatoes, boil until soft, mash with plenty of butter, some cream, English mustard powder, and Dijon mustard.

Done.
:this: And we have a winner! :)
Mr C’s Greek Lasagna
Feeds four, or two greedy fuckers, leftovers can be microwaved next day
Start off with one finely chopped onion, fry in the the oil of your choice until they soften up, add a crushed clove of garlic (or more if you like), a sliced courgette then around 400g of minced beef. (Those of a veggie persuasion can replace the mince with aubergine, wood shavings or whatever floats their sad wrong boat) Push it all around the pan until the mince is done.
Add two tins of chopped tomatoes and a slurp of tomato puree to thicken it up, salt and pepper and whatever herbs you fancy (oregano and thyme here). Add water if you overdid it with the tomato puree. Buy a bigger frying pan if you overdid it with the water.
Add some sliced black olives (from a jar, or if you are fussy, move to southern Spain, grow your own and slice them yourself with a home-made knife ).
Pop the oven on at 200° and add some sliced cherry tomatoes if it’s not tomato-ey enough yet.
Get out your casserole dish and layer it with (sauce first) sauce, lasagna and crumbled feta cheese, finish off with grated cheese. Half an hour in the oven.
Serve with salad, bread or chunks of lard according to taste. Bon Appetit!
DBSnappa wrote:
What are you thising here? Me, or someone else?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
You, for making out you didn't have much time so you made a complicated mess instead of something simple - like, ooh, I dunno, an omelette, or some pasta or egg fried rice with tuna - all of which can be done in under 20 mins :p
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

So: coarsely chop red onions, sautee in a ovenproof pot over a low heat. When softened, add some garlic (lazy garlic in jar for me), stir, and add a pack of sausages; preferably some robustly flavoured ones. Fry for ten minutes or so to cook the sausages. Add a tin of baked beans (yes, baked beans), some tomato ketchup, and random dollops of stuff from your sauce cupboard (tonight that was Reggae Reggae sauce and tobasco). Put in oven for 45 min or so. Meanwhile, peel potatoes, boil until soft, mash with plenty of butter, some cream, English mustard powder, and Dijon mustard.

Done.

I think I might be making this for our dinner tonight!
DBSnappa wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
DBSnappa wrote:
You, for making out you didn't have much time so you made a complicated mess instead of something simple - like, ooh, I dunno, an omelette, or some pasta or egg fried rice with tuna - all of which can be done in under 20 mins :p

I was thinking the same thing, when I don't feel like cooking I normally have something like fish fingers, or burgers or something I can through in the oven and not worry about or something.

Malc
The "I don't have time to cook" meal is usually scampi.

Mmmm. Scampi.
Wot i cooked last night (& it was lush)...

Sausage Casserole!

Some sausages cut in half
Half a pack of bacon cut into small bits
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic chopped up

.. Start these frying off, stir em a bit when you can be arsed. About 5 mins.
Chop up:
Some swede
A carrot or two
Some celery

When the frying stuff is ready, into a large pot put the fried stuff, the veg, 1/2 pint or so of chicken stock, a good handful of Thyme, salt, pepper, and a tin of chopped tomatoes.

Bung in oven for 2 hours

For the lazy-mans dumplings, bung a handful of frozen Gnocchi in for the last 10 minutes.

Jobs a goodun!
Mexican sort of thing

Chop up some chicken, chuck it in a bowl, add lime zest, lime juice (1 or 2 limes depending on amount of chicken), chilli powder, paprika, garlic, olive oil and some tabasco, let it marinate for a few hours.
Chop up some mushrooms, peppers, onions, spring onions, tomatoes and fresh chilli. Cook the chicken mix until chicken is cooked (10ish minutes - time varys due to size of chicken chunks) Cook up the veg in the same pan to absorb some of the flavour. One veg is suitably cooked put into a large saucepan with the chicken to simmer for 10mins or so. Roll up mix into fajitas and put into an ovenproof dish, grate cheese over the top of fajitas. Put in oven
Boil up some rice add some paprika to make it a pretty colour.

Salsa (optional) - Chop up tomatoes finely, put in a bowl of some kind. Add some olive oil, fresh chilli, spring onion, lime juice and zest, (touch of chilli powder and tabasco) mix up. Serve on the side of plate.

All to be eaten with the a nice chilled bottle of mexican beer
DBSnappa wrote:
Oh, I see. Yeah fair comment. Although, I didn't have any cheese or eggs due to shopping mismanagement, so that ruled a lot of stuff out. I had pasta on Sunday and didn't fancy it again. And I really fancied mustard mash because Mimi had mentioned it on her Twitter on Sunday.

Mr Dom wrote:
For the lazy-mans dumplings, bung a handful of frozen Gnocchi in for the last 10 minutes.
I am intrigued by your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Has anyone tried adding a few sweet potatoes to their mash?

Makes it all orange and lovely tasty.
Mr Russell wrote:
Has anyone tried adding a few sweet potatoes to their mash?

Makes it all orange and lovely tasty.

My wife does this. Likes it very much

I hate mash. Won't eat it.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
I hate mash. Won't eat it.

You... freak.
Ange wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:

Done.

I think I might be making this for our dinner tonight!

Mmm yummy! I put in a tin of chopped tomatoes, chilli, some BBQ sauce and cooked it on the hob.

Thank you for the recipe!
Ever tried making chips out of sweet potatoes? Fucking dangerous, the things are so hard I'm amazed I didn't cut my hands off as I tried to slice them up.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I had a
sausage casserole

Say what it is feex.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
And I really fancied putting mustard on Mimi's twitter

How I read it disturb-o-feex.
MetalAngel wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
And I really fancied putting mustard on Mimi's twitter

How I read it disturb-o-feex.

8) Ouch :DD
Speaking of mustard, the Colman's Wholegrain Hot Chili is rather nice.
That sounds nice, Doctor Glyndwr, but you've got an interesting take on what constitutes Can't-Be-Arsed Cuisine and clearly aren't An True Dosser. That plainly involved quite a bit of fussing about! :p

Does anybody have any nice soup or stew recipes?
Klatrymadon wrote:
That sounds nice, Doctor Glyndwr, but you've got an interesting take on what constitutes Can't-Be-Arsed Cuisine and clearly aren't An True Dosser. That plainly involved quite a bit of fussing about! :p

Does anybody have any nice soup or stew recipes?

If you replace the mince with lumps of beef, then my recipe on the previous page makes a nice stew too.

Malc
Cheers, Malc; I think I'll give that a try this week. :)
Kalmar's perfect chocolate croissants.

First, obtain your croissant material. It is found only in Lidl (not Aldi) - you're looking in the fridge section for small blue cardboard cylinders, about the size of a red bull can. Usually they're buried beneath trays of cheese and stuff so look carefully.

Now you've got it, pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. That's actually important!
Then roll out the croissant material, and put one teaspoonfull of chocolate spread on the wide end. Dark choc rather than nutella is preferred - Green and Blacks for example.

Then roll them up and put them in the oven.

Attachment:
IMG_0281.JPG

Ta daa!
One teaspoon-full? Pussy.
It's a heaped teaspoonfull.
I've heard of this croissant pastry mix before. Doesn't it keep for ages? I should get some, it'd be good stuff to have hanging around for hangover breakfasts.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
I've heard of this croissant pastry mix before. Doesn't it keep for ages? I should get some, it'd be good stuff to have hanging around for hangover breakfasts.

Exactly! You want a bacon (or veggie bacon) buttie first and this later on though, as there's not quite enough grease in them compared to authentic French ones.

They do keep for ages but need to be refrigerated.
Mimi wrote:
Mimi's Jambalaya

We are going to be trying this tonight. Om nom nom! :D
kalmar wrote:
Kalmar's perfect chocolate croissants.

First, obtain your croissant material. It is found only in Lidl (not Aldi) - you're looking in the fridge section for small blue cardboard cylinders, about the size of a red bull can. Usually they're buried beneath trays of cheese and stuff so look carefully.

Now you've got it, pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees. That's actually important!
Then roll out the croissant material, and put one teaspoonfull of chocolate spread on the wide end. Dark choc rather than nutella is preferred - Green and Blacks for example.

Then roll them up and put them in the oven.

Ta daa!

Heh, I do this, but you can find them in Aldi as that is where I get mine from. They also bread buns in an orange cylinder and if you grate parmigiana on top before cooking and give a "dusting" of olive oil. Nice hot cheesy buns!
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Mimi's Jambalaya

We are going to be trying this tonight. Om nom nom! :D

We're now very full of this. Om nom nom.
Thanks Meems.
nickachu wrote:
That would be delicious, but time consuming, and I am very lazy. Tonight I had beans and toast for dinner.
I forsee for the next few nights it'll be tinned toms, maybe some fried onions and pasta. :(

It is not! It really isn't!

I can knock one up in about 15 minutes. And the lovely thing is you can make extra sauce and then freeze it.

Get saucepan, add oil, add onions, cook them through but not so they brown, add tomatoes + puree, continue to heat for a little while so the sauce reduces slightly. You can add some basil, garlic or even balsamic at this point. This sauce also works well for pasta. The key is to reduce it slightly so it is thicker and tastier.

Dough is absurdly easy to make. Remember you don't need to make it loaf quality, the only time consideration is that it needs a while to rise (about an hour minimum in a warm place). When it has risen put it on a oiled tray. Beat it down. You can cook it from here if time constrained but personally after beating it down and stretching it I let it rise again and beat it down/streach it some more.

So so easy. I still impress friends with how easy it all is.

I can't stress how easy it all is.
I may have to get my flatmate to drive me to sainsburys and get some yeast then, as I doubt aldi does it
Page 2 of 61 [ 3036 posts ]