Top Gear
tonight
I nearly wet myself when May got thrown clean across the BMW headfirst into the door.

That Eric Bana seems like a good egg.

I'm pretty sure one of the hot girls in the audience was one of the hot girls in the audience about 4 years ago.
That road looked amazing.
I dunno. Most of the show was decent, but Clarkson's unchecked casual racism is really, really beginning to rankle now. I love the boyish humour of the show and have been a bit of apologist for Clarkson in the past, but I thought tonight's show was pushing it too far at times.
I have to confess I completely missed that. What did he say?

[edit]Oh wait, the Australian stuff?
Grim... wrote:
I have to confess I completely missed that. What did he say?

[edit]Oh wait, the Australian stuff?

No, the whole stereotyping of Romanians as thieving gypsies thing and the repeated references to "Borat country". Perhaps doesn't help that friends with a gypsie family and godfather to a child of theirs, but I found that whole section quite offensive.
Wasn't it Hammond that called it Borat country?

[edit]Yes it was, but then Clarkson said it again a few minutes later. He also called Australians alcoholics and May called Americans stupid.
The program also spent a third of the show showing what a beautiful, pleasant country Romania was and how friendly Romanians are, so I am sure the BBC would argue that it gave voice to a balanced range of views.
I quite liked the California.

I say "quite liked", I mean, "Shit,I need one of them and one of the LVAP in the passenger seat on the way to the south of France for a weekend of fishing".
Grim... wrote:
It's about time the BBC put its best show into HD.

EPIC FAIL!!!!!!*

I was sat there watching it on BBC HD.

As I suspected the minicam sections are still SD so the quality drop for the incar shots is now quite noticeable.

* Unless you were welcoming to HD. But you could have worded it better.
chinnyhill10 wrote:
Grim... wrote:
It's about time the BBC put its best show into HD.

* Unless you were welcoming to HD. But you could have worded it better.

No, you should have just read it better.

Also, you need to read up on 'Epic Fail'.
Craig wrote:
The program also spent a third of the show showing what a beautiful, pleasant country Romania was and how friendly Romanians are, so I am sure the BBC would argue that it gave voice to a balanced range of views.
Yes, and showed them being won over by and having fun with the people of the village they were so 'terrified' of having accidentally wandered into in their million quid's worth of car.

It's almost as if it was a poorly implemented attempt to thingy* racism.

It's also possible I'm crediting the Top Gear people with too much social awareness, responsibility, and other-thingy**.

* You know, thingy. To, um, dispell. Demonstrate the illogicality, prejudicial, baseless nature of.
* I can't even describe the meaning of the word I mean. Brain not work good this morning.
I fell asleep during last night's Top Gear, I don't know if this is because I'm bored of Top Gear or I was just tired. It didn't seem particularly funny or interesting though.
BikNorton wrote:
I'm pretty sure one of the hot girls in the audience was one of the hot girls in the audience about 4 years ago.

Is that the blond piece over Bana's shoulder? That's usually the one who gets the best exposure most episodes.
Aye, her. Lost some weight since the last time unfortunately. If it was her, and not another hot girl who looked like her.
Was there much damage to the Lamborghini, or was that a bit of a set-up too?
It was a bit random and unlikely, but then they didn't film it. Hard to guess.
that car is horrible :)
Lol at Romania being Borat country.
poor Geoff. i can imagine Kalmar jumping up and down :)
Can't watch this, iPlayer down :(
I was just about to ask if iPlayer was down, too.
Is the Green Stig Kalmar?
Electric cars got a good piss-taking in that episode! ('Geoff' ... lol). I loved the way the headlamps weren't even at equal centres. :D

Interesting to see the Audi R8 V10 being put through its paces - as quick as a 911 GT3 (997) on track, I think, despite the damp conditions? Not bad, considering the level of comfort and refinement on offer. The 'Vette, on the other hand, was a bit of a joke I thought, despite Stig being able to wring a bit more out of it. Did you see the body panel flex on that; would anyone in their right mind pay £100k for this car, as a left hooker only, in the UK?
Captain Caveman wrote:
The 'Vette, on the other hand, was a bit of a joke I thought, despite Stig being able to wring a bit more out of it. Did you see the body panel flex on that; would anyone in their right mind pay £100k for this car, as a left hooker only, in the UK?

I thought it was fucking awesome.

If I had the money, I'd buy two. but I don't. So can't.

Boo.
Corvettes are fucking awesome.

THEY HAVE A HUD. That is all.
Captain Caveman wrote:
The 'Vette, on the other hand, was a bit of a joke I thought, despite Stig being able to wring a bit more out of it. Did you see the body panel flex on that; would anyone in their right mind pay £100k for this car, as a left hooker only, in the UK?
I semi-regularly see a 'Vette on my commute.

Semi-wrong-heads would buy a VXR8 Bathurst S, obviously - heavier, only £40k, pretty much the same engine and knows about corners (but still explodes out of the side of them just as backwards and on fire). It doesn't have a HUD or look like a 'Vette, though.
Craster wrote:

In the absence of a slew of Hellfires with which to use it against Volvo XCs, it's not really that cool.
Mr Chris wrote:
Craster wrote:

In the absence of a slew of Hellfires with which to use it against Volvo XCs, it's not really that cool.

Duh. Aftermarket mods, innit. Kalmar can fit me a few door mounted pylons, no worries.
Hmm, well, I suppose one has to factor in my being a 'boring old toad' into the equation. But £100k...? Fook.

That's worse than buying an electric c...[CUT! - Ed]
Captain Caveman wrote:
Hmm, well, I suppose one has to factor in my being a 'boring old toad' into the equation. But £100k...? Fook.

That's worse than buying an electric c...[CUT! - Ed]

It's only USD$108,000, so buy one in wintertime in the US and drive it home. Simples.
MaliA wrote:
It's only USD$108,000, so buy one in wintertime in the US and drive it home. Simples.

You know the Atlantic doesn't freeze over in winter, right?
Craster wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Bering Strait does.
Craster wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Perhaps he meant going this way?

Attachment:
thisway.JPG

Malc
MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Bering Strait does.

It's a Corvette. You'd have to drive from mainland USA up to Alaska, then turn left to cross the Bering Strait. Do you see the problem?
Craster wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Bering Strait does.

It's a Corvette. You'd have to drive from mainland USA up to Alaska, then turn left to cross the Bering Strait. Do you see the problem?

MaliA has a point. You drive across the Bering Strait into Russia, all the way across Asia, then Europe, then through the Channel Tunnel and yer done. Of course, with the amount of petrol you'll be burning through, you could probably have funded NASA to build a rocket that would transport it back to Blighty via a slingshot of Mars, but still...
Craster wrote:
Corvette
Craster wrote:
turn left
Craster wrote:
Craster wrote:
Corvette
Craster wrote:
turn left

Ah. Good point, well made.
The details on the green stig were quite amusing, and James in 'disguise' - but the rest of the programme left me a bit cold actually. Top Gear could probably do with an extended break, but I doubt it will be given one.

Maybe it's just me, but the show seems a little bit tired, maybe even on the verge of getting stale.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
The details on the green stig were quite amusing, and James in 'disguise' - but the rest of the programme left me a bit cold actually. Top Gear could probably do with an extended break, but I doubt it will be given one.

Maybe it's just me, but the show seems a little bit tired, maybe even on the verge of getting stale.

I laughed my socks off at it!

As did my 2 eldest when they saw last weeks one (11 and 8 years old) (Bloody annoying that they put it on after 9 as now they can't watch it "live" with me, and if I want to watch it with them I have to watch it again!

Malc
MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Bering Strait does.

Although hundreds have tried (some with the weight of their parent car companies behind them), only one car has ever driven from America to the UK (actually, the other way around), and it wasn't a Corvette (more).
I'm with Malc on this one. For some reason, seeing Hammond sat in Geoff on that crappy patio chair with his head sticking out of the roof like that had me laughing like a drain! However it is that drains laugh, of course.
Did anyone watch James May's Toy Stories about Scalextric? It was very good.
Dimrill wrote:

I missed that one - is it still on iplayer? I loved all the others.

May is a wonderful presenter, and is wasted on Top Gear.
Yeah, I've just finished watching it.
Craster wrote:

What do you mean? Chevies are excellent at turning left.
Sir Taxalot wrote:

Bit contrived. I can tell the difference between smoke from a smoke machine and diesel smoke.
Mr Chris wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

It was good, but Tiff Fucking Needell was in it.
Malabar Front wrote:
Mr Chris wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

It was good, but Tiff Fucking Needell was in it.

Is this weeks one about lego? (also JM said "see you at Christmas" but the voice over implied "Christmas was coming early", so assume there is one this week?

I think my favourite episode was the airfix one.

Malc
Grim... wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Craster wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Bering Strait does.

Although hundreds have tried (some with the weight of their parent car companies behind them), only one car has ever driven from America to the UK (actually, the other way around), and it wasn't a Corvette (more).

LALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALAL
ALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA
LALALALA.

Although I had the same conversation in 1999, but it involved a Dodge Viper.
Edited: linefeeds added to prevent width knacker
Page 3 of 14 [ 664 posts ]