Radio controlled aeroplanes, and that... and now cars!
How fickle am I? Look! Shiny!
Just bought one of these

Annoying my room mate now.
Cool, great fun those little indoor ones. I'm contemplating copying what this clever twat has done:

http://www.rcexplorer.se/projects/trico ... opter.html
My word, that's proper awesome. I wonder if a two rotor one, a la the choppers in Avatar, would be stable?
Mr Kissyfur wrote:
My word, that's proper awesome. I wonder if a two rotor one, a la the choppers in Avatar, would be stable?

I'm trying to think how you'd do it. With three motors and using dirt cheap gyros I can see why it's pretty easy to get a stable platform and still have control over height, roll and pitch, leaving only the tail motor able to actually tilt to give yaw control. With the design of the Avatar helis I'm not sure how you'd achieve the same thing without a much more complex build. I bet someone somewhere has already done it, though.
markg wrote:
Mr Kissyfur wrote:

I'm trying to think how you'd do it. With three motors and using dirt cheap gyros I can see why it's pretty easy to get a stable platform and still have control over height, roll and pitch, leaving only the tail motor able to actually tilt to give yaw control. With the design of the Avatar helis I'm not sure how you'd achieve the same thing without a much more complex build. I bet someone somewhere has already done it, though.

With whatever system the wee Chinook RC models use, I guess? To Google!
Check this thing out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyYujjP5J-k

Even has GPS on board so you can send it off, flick a switch and it'll come home.
Mark - is it normal on a 3ch heli that when you increase the "up"ness it increases the un-requested yaw?
It can happen to some extent with any heli, comes down to the quality of the gyro and other bits really.
markg wrote:
It can happen to some extent with any heli, comes down to the quality of the gyro and other bits really.
Aaaah, right. I went for a cheapzors one (well £50 but half priced to 25), so I'm reaping the rewards of frugality.
That's not to say there's nothing you can do about it. First just check that everything is running free etc, if one rotor is a bit stickier it might not spin up as fast as the other one does.
markg wrote:
That's not to say there's nothing you can do about it. First just check that everything is running free etc, if one rotor is a bit stickier it might not spin up as fast as the other one does.

Cool - otherwise I'm just going to have to learn how to feed in some yaw at a relative rate to counter it.
I just got hold of a spiffy new simulator for practicing the best ways to crash my RC planes and helicopters. Here's some terrifically exciting short films I made:

Aeroplane

Helicopter
That thing you do with the plane at the start (which probably has a name, I dunno, where you hover it above the floor pointing upwards) - has anyone done that with a real plane?
Not sure if you mean a real model plane or an actual full-size plane but plenty of people do it with model ones (only much much better than I can, unsurprisingly) and inspired by that there's a few efforts to get a full size which has enough power to weight to do the same trick.

For reasons I'm not sure of it's referred to as 3D flying, it's incredibly difficult to do anything like approaching well:

Numerous fighter jets can 'go ballistic' and fly vertically up while accelerating... watch this F-22 do it. There's also Pugachev's Cobra where the plane actually tilts backwards while flying forwards.

I doubt you'd want to do it too close to the ground. Even if you can direct the thrust around a bit, you won't have much control so if you suddenly 'flop over' in a real plane you'll be very dead.
markg wrote:
Not sure if you mean a real model plane or an actual full-size plane but plenty of people do it with model ones (only much much better than I can, unsurprisingly) and inspired by that there's a few efforts to get a full size which has enough power to weight to do the same trick.

Yeah, I meant a 1:1 plane.
Still fairly impressive, though 8)
This is incredibly clever, but also horribly creepy.
Warhead wrote:

Sorry but Cest Gammal, I posted that back on WOS in 2006!

http://s2.zetaboards.com/worldofstuart/ ... 32/1/?x=90

Malc
Malc wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Sorry but Cest Gammal, I posted that back on WOS in 2006!

http://s2.zetaboards.com/worldofstuart/ ... 32/1/?x=90

Malc

I guess yours is youtubed well done!

Malc
Oops, sorry. I did do a search for Big Dog before I posted but didn't go through ALL the results ... and I wasn't a member of the forum in 2006, so I plead extenuating circs.
Don't worry, it was on another forum, where most of the people (actually I wonder what the percentage is now?) from here came from.

I was just being a bit funny (not haha) mostly because I thought "hmm I'm sure I've seen that before, and that I actually posted it"

Malc
Malc wrote:
Don't worry, it was on another forum, where most of the people (actually I wonder what the percentage is now?) from here came from.

I would be interested to know this.. perhaps we should have a poll? It would help us identify new users and how they got here too! Might even help us target new ones?
Bollocks bollocks bollocks. The Wildcat made a horrible noise and stopped moving - appears a grub screw dropped off the drive pinion, meaning the pinion moved along the motor drive shaft and has now stripped the teeth off both the drive pinion and the main spur and fucked the motor mount. Due to the age of the chassis, I need to spend £30 in parts. Due to a fucking grub screw!
Nice, but I'm one of those who doesn't see the point in flying an RC aircraft that you can't even SEE most of the time. :)
You can see it well enough if you're there, on a video not so much.

Anyway gliders will go way quicker with no motor at all:

I bought a wee jet thing not so long back, one of these.

Not a real jet, just an electric ducted fan but it's plenty quick enough for me:

That might be the most awesome thing in the world.
Another new plane get. A tiny little electric model of a Reno racer that should easily do 100mph plus.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... s_ESC.html

I think I might need an eye upgrade to be able to see it, though.
Might be of interest to yous lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_fpqhwJ ... cRCiF3pfIU

Their other videos are kinda interesting too.
HobbyKing have opened a UK warehouse so I've just ordered myself one of these little Beetles to have a mess around with:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

Meant to be quite quick and should run for about 25-30 minutes on the same batteries I have for a lot of my planes.
WHY MAN, WHY?

I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS?!
I've been looking at Tamiya dune buggies recently as I always wanted one as a kid.
Yeah, Tamiya stuff is nice but a bit hard to justify in terms of the actual performance. As with RC planes there are so many knock offs available now of stuff from the big manufacturers at a fraction of the price.
Jeez, kits on there are cheap! Shame I don't have anywhere to use them.
Zardoz wrote:
I've been looking at Tamiya dune buggies recently as I always wanted one as a kid.

My mate had one when we were kids...
/wracks brain
Grasshopper, I think it was called.
Yeah, there was that and the Hornet that were the cheapest ones.

...but I never got one. :'(

I know Mark, I just want one. :)
I had a Grasshopper :) It was my first kit that I used to race. Back then everyone had Schumacher Cats though, I inherited my dads at some point and it was awesome (both me and my dad were members of the local club and used to race most weekends)
I must fix my Riot. I can't even remember what's wrong with it now, it's been so long since I played with it.
Zardoz wrote:
Yeah, there was that and the Hornet that were the cheapest ones.

...but I never got one. :'(

I know Mark, I just want one. :)

Oooh, I had a hornet at some point too! Totally forgot about that, I also had something else between that and the Cat, but I can't remember what it was :(
Trooper wrote:
I also had something else between that and the Cat, but I can't remember what it was :(

I hope it was a condom.
Got that little buggy this morning, it's ridiculously fast for the size/price. Quick enough to chase down the traffic on our road anyway. :DD

Really nicely made too, oil filled dampers and adjustable shock absorbers, drives like stuff that used to cost many times what it did.
How much would one be with the radio gear?

Is it a kit or pre-built?
About £100 delivered with radio and two batteries that should give 20 minutes or so each. You can have a go with mine later mate. It's all prebuilt.
I've just ordered a pair of video goggles and a tiny camera and video transmitter to put on my planes. If I looked cool flying model planes before then I'm going to look awesome with these on:

:shrug:

I dunno, some Chinese marketing genius must have come up with it I guess.
Oh yeah, excellent idea.
Going to look into getting an OSD for it too so you get all this sort of stuff on there to see speed, battery remaining, altitude and direction to home etc:

For not that much money now you can get ones that will fly waypoint routes, or return to their starting point if they lose signal. :nerd:
Page 7 of 42 [ 2077 posts ]