Radio controlled aeroplanes, and that... and now cars!
How fickle am I? Look! Shiny!
So you're saying "crash a few cheap ones first"?
Not really, a wing like that, minus all the camera kit, can be about as cheap as it gets. It's more case of just starting with something that'll give you a fighting chance. The best thing to do though is get a sim and after a dozen hours on there you won't necessarily need to crash much at all but even then you would be better off starting with a trainer type plane.
Can you recommend a sim?
DavPaz wrote:
Can you recommend a sim?

Beex brother
Torn between getting one of those new wings or a Hawk kit for my EDF guts now.

Swaying more towards the 70mm Hawk for now then a wing for when my Mini Skyhunter becomes unrepairable and I can use all the GPS gubbins from it. Both just a touch over £50.
DavPaz wrote:
Can you recommend a sim?
Something like this would do:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Plane-Master-U ... B0030Z9X3M

You can get more advanced, accurate and expensive sims but all beginners usually crash for the same reasons. Mostly they don't give the right inputs once the plane is flying towards them or else they let it get too far way (that can happen really quickly). If you get this and practice until you're not thinking about which way to move the sticks whatever the orientation of the plane then you've got a massive headstart.
Zardoz wrote:
Torn between getting one of those new wings or a Hawk kit for my EDF guts now.

Swaying more towards the 70mm Hawk for now then a wing for when my Mini Skyhunter becomes unrepairable and I can use all the GPS gubbins from it. Both just a touch over £50.

Does that Hawk hand launch ok? I'm guessing it will.

If you bought the wing then you'd probably also need a new motor, ESC and some metal geared servos. Not loads of cash but it adds up.
Yeah, from what I've read it sounds like it does.

I know they'll all pay for themselves in the end but that hawk is almost like it's paying me to get it. It's cheaper than the replacement Vampire Airframe.
The wing is probably more versatile though, fly on windier days and suchlike. Will your Vampire definitely not mend?
Not now I've stripped everything out and thrown the foam away, no.

It was all sorts of broken mate, twisted and torn. Practically every part of it had damage. Thought it was time to let it go.
I suppose I could get both.

I'll crowd fund the Hawk and set up a Kickstarter for the wing.
I've sent an email to the birthday fairy about the Hawk.

Hopefully I've been a good boy this year.
New plane get!

Been looking at these for ages and then the other day they popped up in a sale so I crumbled:

Attachment:
20170503_124139.jpg

Proper all-terrain plane. Comes with floats, massive wheels for flying off rough ground as well as an alternate canopy for adding cameras etc.
This is tearing me apart.
Just pop round, you can have a sniff of the wheels:
Attachment:
20170503_220327.jpg
She's all done then?

Got my fancy mini camera through today.
Yeah, it's a Plug N Fly, or rather fettle, sand, drill, fettle, wrestle, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, plug, unplug, unplug, unplug, plug, plug, plug, fettle more and then fly. Still only a hour's work though, went together really nicely as these things go. And the bag of screws were missing but I had some that would work.
Look forward to seeing this in action.

Going to get back into my Bixler, might even use the motor / esc from the mini skyhunter to give it a little more oomph. It'll be a little heavier once the Cyclops Storm is in there.
Had a good fly today despite a stupid error that grounded my new Mini Hornet wing early on (all glued back and modifications made for next time).

Rounded the day off following MarkG's new plane, a Durafly Tundra.

So now I'm looking at these as I'm missing my Vampire :( :

http://www.redsradiocontrol.com/spring- ... 1218-p.asp

http://www.redsradiocontrol.com/spring- ... 1054-p.asp

But leaning more towards this:

http://www.redsradiocontrol.com/64mm-fr ... 1056-p.asp

Fly well with a 2200 3s lipo apparently too so that's convenient.
Banggood have a really nice looking FMS 1100 Zero in the EU warehouse with an extra 20% off too... my birthday money is screaming at everything at the moment.

Already got a nice scale Skyraider to fly but I love Zeroes.
Nice video! All those planes look good. You should just buy them all and then decide which is your favourite.
I knew you'd be along with the right advice.

Leaning towards the Mig but it's the only one not in stock, and costs a little more.

Going to be sensible and smash up my Skyraider first.
Bloody joggers on our airfield.
I see you bring chairs now
Well you don't fly real planes standing up.
Took a floatplane up to the lakes with us, never tried flying off water before. Good fun.

Awesome. Looks so calm on the lake, no wind that day?
None at all, it was perfect for it. A lot warmer than it looked on there too, water was lovely as I found out when I fell in it trying to get in the kayak.
That was pretty cool, Mark. I assume you had the goggles on? Is it tricky to judge the height when you're over water?
I'll have to see about rigging up some floats for my Bixler.
DavPaz wrote:
That was pretty cool, Mark. I assume you had the goggles on? Is it tricky to judge the height when you're over water?

Not really, the boats and their wake helps and near the shore you can see the trees etc.
Hmm. Hmmmmmmm. Hmmmmm.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingr- ... ?wrh_pdp=7

This could pay for itself quite nicely.
Yeah, looked at those a few times. They'll fly from water, snow or even just wet grass.
There's an XL version too.

Cant justify buying anything just yet though. There's that 3D float plane plan though...
I started doing some updates on my trusty old mini quad for the new season. I'd added a new frame, motors, ESCs, props, camera, batteries, flight controller, pdb, battery straps, LED and beeper when it occurred to me today that there's not a thing left and I have in fact treated myself to a whole new one. Whoops.

Still needs a fair bit of tuning but it's fucking great so far:

Oh, man. The flips, the loops! Amazing!
Looking forward to refreshing mine now. The rolls look like you’re flying a plane, very gracefull. Will it still roll as fast if you throw the stick over?

Also, there’s about 6 planes that I didn’t buy last year so with all that money I’ve saved I should treat myself.
Not great flying but this was a fun place to do it:

Great stuff, nice spot. Is it still in use as a Go-Kart track then? Tempted to take an RC car there too.
It is still in use, but probably not during the week. It would be pretty big for an RC car, though.
Big RC cars then.
You need the drove hovering above and supplying a feed so you can see where your car is.
Or look at the car.
Or add FPV gear to the car.

Wasn't that nice though when Mark had it rigged up on his buggy :nerd: :spew:
It's just a bit rubbish because it turns out it's quite hard to see where you're going looking through a heavily vibrating camera that's six inches above the ground.
markg wrote:
Not great flying but this was a fun place to do it:

That's really good, but who was the balm pot staring at the wall?
Page 41 of 42 [ 2077 posts ]