Radio controlled aeroplanes, and that... and now cars!
How fickle am I? Look! Shiny!
It's the silver ones that crash (so not my fault).

One on the Brecon Beacons we can have a look at:

Pretty good video from the RunCam (1), just a smudge over £40 and bright orange for easier spotting post crash. I'd say the auto WB was slightly better than the mobius it's replaced.

I'll stick a video up when I get time.
Had fun flying the little ultra micro Radian from the tent up in the lakes earlier this week:

Amazing little plane this one. The whole thing weighs in at under 50g even with the camera and video transmitter I put on there. Pretty much silent too so it doesn't bother anyone.
Jealous of Zardoz's two unbuilt planes to my one I have just ordered one of these neat little things:

Christ knows when I'll ever get the time to build it, though.
It'll practically build and pay for itself that.

You seen the Nano Skyhunter they've just brought out too?

Modelled by Grim... & Crasters Love Child

Yeah I have seen that, but I can't help thinking that it's going to be in smithereens after the first proper crash and that a small wing is better for that sort of low-level malarkey.
Yeah... but planes!
Very long unedited flight from Wednesday night, not doing anything in particular, just mooching around:

It was way darker than it looks on there by the end but the camera on the plane adjusts and it looked like broad daylight through the goggles.
Couple of videos from Saturday morning. Camera battery ran out on the first flight, let like I was probably the highest I've flown my Bixler but didn't record the next 'step up' I took. :(

Good those, though. We had some pretty decent formation flying going on that morning. Must get the quads refitted with LEDs, it's like trying to follow a housefly without them.
Yeah, I'll stick some LEDs on mine next time I'm pottering about.

Have to get the Cyclops Storm sorted out too, let me know when you're free and I'll bring it round mate.
I forgot to put the LEDs on.

Nice plane but an excellent crash! (1:45 or so)
It just ripped itself apart!
Fuck me, that thing was huge. It wouldn't have to be much bigger before he could sit in it (although I could see why he wouldn't want to).
That's going to need a couple tubes of super glue.
Been slowly putting this together over the last few weeks and the day has come to chuck it into the air and see what happens:

Attachment:
talon.jpg
Are you going to equip it with a grenade?
Yeah, I suppose I should point out that it's just a box I bought from one of those military surplus stalls at a fair, ideal for keeping LiPos in, as long as you don't fasten the lid because then I suppose you maybe could have a grenade.

Anyway, it flew! And it didn't crash once, not even slightly. Always a relief that when it's something I've assembled myself.

Quite boring video here, I was really just flying round in circles fairly close in to make sure it was all ok, then I quit while I was ahead.

Nice one. Always good to bring them down in one piece.

What motor did you put on it? Hope its an even enough match for my Mini Skyhunter.
It's the motor off the other wing, not exactly sure what it is. It should be reasonably similar, though.
All that empty sky and look at where Z decides to fly his plane :D

Attachment:
vlcsnap-00002.jpg
Is that cropped or the actual frame?!

Nice to fly something new, impressed with both these models and really chuffed with all the GPS / RTH stuff I've now got.
Well after one crash and a rebuild of Z's plane these seem to be flying pretty well now. Most impressed with the flight controller and software I'm using. So much data to pore over for no good reason at all. You can playback the whole flight and see the track in Google Earth. :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :nerd:

Attachment:
google-earth.PNG

Attachment:
ipanel.PNG

I can't see any point to this at all except for trying to fly a giant cock and balls shape.
Going around in circles? That sounds really boring
Lonewolves wrote:

:)
It would get boring except some of those circles were clockwise ones.
markg wrote:
It would get boring except some of those circles were clockwise ones.

Sacrilege!
Lonewolves wrote:

I think that actually comes under the category of drawing red circles in paint.
The circles go up and down too!

Glad my new plane was an easy fix, and as is normally the case it's flying better than before now.

markg wrote:
I can't see any point to this at all except for trying to fly a giant cock and balls shape.

Planning bombing runs over Blackpool Model Village.
Top spot today, Mark. Glad you suggested trying it for the quads with it being too breezy for planes.

Need to add the Digger arm as a gate next time :D
Nice video. You corner-cutting cheat.
It was the wind.
I'll try and get the LEDs on this week. Probably a strip along the rear edge of both back arms if I can.
Yeah they'd definitely help when it comes to picking each other out against the ground. Need to sort out buzzers for finding them after crashing in the tall grass as well. It was ace fun flying there though, when you get into a bit of a groove it's like playing Wipeout or something only with far better/more satisfying controls.
And real monetary consequences!

You defo get a far greater sense of speed flying close to the ground. Awesome stuff.
What did you buy then, Kissyfur?
Superb session at the super secret race track today. Shame it was cut a bit short by me having to go out for Sunday din dins.

These little bastards are the best toy ever.
Nothing so far, z. Have been busy with other things. I have a super awesome new chainsaw tho.
Zardoz wrote:
These little bastards are the best toy ever.

They really are but definitely a lot more fun with some sort of track to race round.

Here's my edit quick edit from yesterday...
Why isn't this thread flooded with gushing nerds demanding to know how to get their sweaty little mitts on their own?

Baffling.
Kids today, you can't tear them away from their screens. Not even to stand in a freezing cold field, looking at another screen.
We should set up a camera pointed at us to get the full extent of 'the leans' and near falls as we're stood on the embankment laughing like freaks.
What are these particular flying things you're using?
I'm not telling you. You'll just nod along and then buy a fucking chainsaw or some shit.
Seriously they're just race quads. Not much point going into depth as it changes by the week so the stuff I put in these a few months ago is probably obsolete by now.

A good and popular RTF at the moment is a Shuriken 180. But you'll still need other stuff like a transmitter, video goggles/screen and charger and batteries.
Zardoz wrote:
We should set up a camera pointed at us to get the full extent of 'the leans' and near falls as we're stood on the embankment laughing like freaks.

Whenever I watch those videos back I find myself leaning forwards as though to try and speed up.
If anyone saw us from the promenade they'd think we were off our faces.

Yeah, I still get my lean on when looking at the videos :DD

FASTER AND LOWER :metul:
Page 38 of 42 [ 2077 posts ]