Cricket
England in South Africa
Nope. Strauss and Bopara should give each other a kick up the arse for getting good starts and chucking them away. KP doesn't look in fine fettle either.
I love the BBC commentary sometimes:

Quote:
1514 - 162-3 Nothing doing. Six more balls from Hauritz, one of which hits Colly on the pad, but it's way down leg side. Geoff Boycott on TMS, on behalf of the England batters, is ecstatic. I hope he hasn't forgotten to add two wickets on to the score.
Curiosity wrote:

Now that's the bestest thing I've seen today.
Apparently Jimmy A is on Twitter, but I can't find him. :(
Jimmy and Swanny are giving it some serious tap right now. It's awesome!

Swann has 40 off 30 balls. Legend!
It's amazing how good our tail is now compared to recent years. Jimmy used to be awful, Monty, Harmison, Hoggard, Jones all used to be pretty rubbish. Now we bat down to 9!
Aw shit, the fun's over, monty's in.
Well it was never going to last. Especially as Ben Dirs just said '500, anyone?'.
Scratch that... Monty got a 3!
Monty needs seven more runs for all 11 batsmen to have got into double figures. When's the last time that happened?
for England... god knows
That ball is turning. A lot.
You reckon this waggy tail is a result of 20-20?

They were talking yesterday about 20-20 affecting opening batsmen in a bad way, but it seems to have boosted the lower order no end.

Also, remember when we used to have a completely different batting line up for one-day games? Nick Knight didn't play many tests did he?
Perhaps, it's difficult to tell.

We've got a more significant difference between our Test and ODI teams now than we have had in a long time, though.
MrDavPaz wrote:
for England... god knows

2004, at The Oval, against the Windies.
Thanks, Gormless Wonder.
Academic now anyway
Aye, chatting on MSN with an Aussie who claims that they will pass 435 before the end of play today... yerright!
Pretty good batting card whereas usually we have one or two making 50 or 100+ and everyone else getting out for 3 or 4 or something lame like that.

Should be a good first test.

COME ON BOWLERS!
A question for Rodders here: how do you marry up your completely anti-patriotic feelings against your passion for the England cricket team to do well?
Yeah, I wonder that myself. The best explaination I've come up with is this: Sport's rubbish if you don't make an emotional investment in it. That generally means rooting for one side or the other. If you've got to pick a side, I s'pose geographic proximity's as good a reason as any.

Dunno. Cultural conditioning and force of habit are probably somewhere in there too. I'd be at least as ecstatic about the New York Jets winning a Super Bowl as I would be at England winning the Ashes or World Cup, and the only reason I support them was because when I was 10 I wanted to be a pilot. So to sum up: God knows.
OMG, how the hell did they hang on to that?

Hopefully that will give them a psychological boost!

Malc
Just brilliant, I was switching between TMS and Sky constantly during the last few overs. Monty and Jimmy to be moved to the top of the order...they can't do any worse than Strauss, Cook or that arsehole Pietersen.
Jimmy Anderson batted beautifully. Collingwood was immense.

It shouldn't cover up the fact that we were bloody awful for most of the game though.

What changes do you think will be made?

Onions for Panesar? Harmison for Broad?
I was there for the final day. Incredible atmosphere. Unforgettable. Colly is a legend.
I was in Australia when we won the Ashes in 2005. The Aussies I was working with weren't happy at getting beat at all and they refused to believe that I couldn't care less that we had won. Then, I was in Calcutta during the world cup and the whole fucking city came to a stand still, and again, they refused to believe that I couldn't care less.

Aussies and Indians are wrong - cricket is shite.
I think you're in the wrong thread.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/8151402.stm

Flintoff to retire from Tests after the Ashes. As much as his batting's been rubbish and his body's been too frail for the rigours of international cricket, I'll miss his talismanic aura and his awesome bowling. :'(
Playing test cricket must be ace, but all the same I can totally understand him just wanting to stop and eat extra pies instead.
myp wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/8151402.stm

Flintoff to retire from Tests after the Ashes. As much as his batting's been rubbish and his body's been too frail for the rigours of international cricket, I'll miss his talismanic aura and his awesome bowling. :'(

Good thing. The biggest impact that Freds existence has had at any point since September 2005 has been the fear and terror expressed when he gets saddled with another injury. This more than outweighs the positive impact on the few occasions since when he was fit, played, and did something.

It also allows us to consider some form of consistency with team selection. England has three Test teams - 'The Flintoff team', the 'No Flintoff and we'll play an extra batter' and the 'No Flintoff and we'll play an extra bowler' team. Thats before we get to wicketkeeper variations.
David 'Bumble' Lloyd is now following me on Twitter. This makes me happy.
Whoop for free tickets to see Notts v Somerset Pro40 at Trent Bridge on Sunday.

Boo, however, for shitty weather.

P.S. Also possible "boo" for talking about non-Ashes cricket in this thread.
At least we'll get to see England's best batsman!
Whosat?

(Howzat?)
Ange wrote:
Whosat?

(Howzat?)

Marcus 'I can't play for England because when we go on an overseas tour I get physically sick at the irrational thought that my wife is shagging Michael Vaughan*' Trescothick

*Allegedly
Shagging Michael Vaughn would be a crime against humanity.

At least Mr Trescothick has made it clear how he feels.

Surely at the time that Tresco was on tour, Vaughan would be there with him?
Ange wrote:
Shagging Michael Vaughn would be a crime against humanity.

At least Mr Trescothick has made it clear how he feels.

Shagging Michael Vaughan would be normally dull with an occassional rare highlight. And all too often he'd go in for a casual stroke and it would all go horribly wrong.
Plissken wrote:
Surely at the time that Tresco was on tour, Vaughan would be there with him?

Aside from when he was [removed - Libel Ed] injured
Gogogo 2nd test tomorrow!!!!

Bad time for our boss to start getting stroppy with people about internet usage though, the cricinfo live scorecard may have to remain shut this time around :'(
TheAlbin0Kid wrote:

Bad time for our boss to start getting stroppy with people about internet usage though, the cricinfo live scorecard may have to remain shut this time around :'(

I'll PM you updates.
Freddie plays, Onions in for Panesar, no Harmison, we've won the toss and opted to squander our wickets early doors.

:D
We need big scores from the top three today.
Curiosity wrote:
Freddie plays, Onions in for Panesar, no Harmison, we've won the toss and opted to squander our wickets early doors.

:D

How's Onions with the bat?

:/

Malc
He's got to be better than Monty!
myp wrote:
TheAlbin0Kid wrote:

I'll PM you updates.

ISWYDT
Page 8 of 32 [ 1570 posts ]