Ghost in the Shell
2nd Gig
Who gives a shit about Kusanagi, are Togusa and most importantly the Tachikomas in it?
No mention of Togusa or the Tachikomas yet. I'd be surprised it the weren't, though.
Book adaptations have been 'anglo-saxonified' ever since the dawn of times, but why is this now such a big deal?

I know, because it involves something nerds like, and if the internet taught us anything these last few years is that nerds are the absolute worst. Except me.
RuySan wrote:
Book adaptations have been 'anglo-saxonified' ever since the dawn of times, but why is this now such a big deal?

All sorts of things didn't used to be a "big deal", it's called progress.
RuySan wrote:
Book adaptations have been 'anglo-saxonified' ever since the dawn of times

I'm not convinced that's actually true

Also, this isn't a question of a book adaptation - words to screen is very different to pictures to screen. We already know what Kusanagi is supposed to look like.
Is this a thing I should know about? What's the best way into it?
DavPaz wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Shell-Ats ... ag=beex-21

Avoid anything with "2.0" in the title.

If you like that, it's time to watch the two series, and then the sequels, the the four-part movie sort-of thing.

[edit]Less than £2 here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ghost-in-the- ... SwBLlVepYh
Be careful not to spoil the ending for yourself though.
Cras wrote:
RuySan wrote:
Book adaptations have been 'anglo-saxonified' ever since the dawn of times

I'm not convinced that's actually true

Also, this isn't a question of a book adaptation - words to screen is very different to pictures to screen. We already know what Kusanagi is supposed to look like.

You're not convinced because you're on the right side of the fence on this one. Do you read that many novels that weren't originally written in english?

Besides, if you're using what the character looks like originally, she doesn't look asian at all.
RuySan wrote:
if you're using what the character looks like originally, she doesn't look asian at all.

...I know. I've been saying that for the last page. I'm just saying here that this isn't a case of a book being 'anglo-saxonised'.
Grim... wrote:
No mention of Togusa or the Tachikomas yet. I'd be surprised it the weren't, though.

I can see them being dropped as they aren't 'gritty' enough.
DavPaz wrote:

I only just watched the original film for the first time recently. It is mind blowingly good. Make sure to use a good hifi or headphones, the music is a huge part of it.
I.. though Kusanagi is basically a brain in a robot body, so does it matter who plays her?
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ghost-Shell-Ats ... ag=beex-21

Avoid anything with "2.0" in the title.

If you like that, it's time to watch the two series, and then the sequels, the the four-part movie sort-of thing.

[edit]Less than £2 here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ghost-in-the- ... SwBLlVepYh

Ooh, you know what, the uni library almost certainly has that.

Ta.
lasermink wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

I only just watched the original film for the first time recently. It is mind blowingly good. Make sure to use a good hifi or headphones, the music is a huge part of it.

You might like this: viewtopic.php?style=19&p=874758#p874758
Grim... wrote:
lasermink wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

You might like this: http://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/f ... 58#p874758

Yes, the part of the film that this video refers to quite overwhelmed me, and I had no idea anything like that was coming. In fact, I knew practically nothing about the film beforehand other than that it was science fiction and animation.
Well, golly gee! That DVD was delivered quickly!

Ahem.
Movie trailer!

https://youtu.be/wUtG93BebJ4

Not embedded as it's borderline NSFW. The scene in the water! Yaaaaaaassssssssssssss!
Bit unsure about Batou from the brief glimpse of him... Fingers crossed it's good.
Yeah, he's not really as hulking as he needs to be.

Still, I'm not sure any human is.
https://princecharlescinema.com/PrinceC ... n?f=115369

Ghost in the Shell. The original one. In the cinema. On the 25th.

Anyone?
Sure. I love the Prince Charles.
Yeah, OK. Count me in.
Cras wrote:
Sure. I love the Prince Charles.

Don't let Camilla find out!

I would love to go, but y'know.
Lonewolves wrote:

But what?
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

But what?

But session time out
If you wait a few seconds it should reload for you. But here's a picture instead.

Attachment:
Capture.PNG
Yeah that isn't happening, obviously. I'll just watch it on Netflix at the same time. You can ring me when 'Don't Stop Me Now' comes on.
Lonewolves wrote:
Yeah that isn't happening, obviously.

:shrug:
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Getting home at gone 2am on a school night would kill me.
Lonewolves wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Getting home at gone 2am on a school night would kill me.

I got home a midnight last night and am dead.
Be ill!

Or take the next day off if you feel like behaving well.
Anyway, I'm buying tickets, so don't buy your own tickets Cras and Dave!
Grim... wrote:

SO close!
Grim... wrote:

Do nothing...
I think I just be able to do that.
Ghost in the Shell is still excellent.

Unless you're Cras, who fell asleep.
Which is the definitive version? GitS or GitS:Stand Alone Complex?
I prefer SAC. Your milage may vary.

Particularly on how much you sleep during it.

(I suspect he may have been awoken by THE LOUDEST SOUND EVER coming from my stomach, else he'd probably still be in there)
Everything about it was bad. Just...bad.
Cras wrote:
The inside of my eye-lids were bad. Just...bad.
Cras wrote:

Did Grim do the 'Popcorn trick'?
Cras wrote:

I've never actually seen it, and am only vaguely aware of the premise and little more. What's bad about it?
Craster doesn't like anime.

He gets annoyed when they only animate the hair, for example, and the rest of the scene is static.

So it's a good job he slept through the bit on the boat where they spend quite a lot of time animating nothing at all.

He also slept through the fight in the water and the chase leading up to it.
I watched a bit of one of the GITS that was recommended in here, I think. It was a computer animation one and it wasn't exactly any good. Soz.
Grim... wrote:

He gets annoyed when they only animate the hair, for example, and the rest of the scene is static.

So it's a good job he slept through the bit on the boat where they spend quite a lot of time animating nothing at all.

This is all pretty much true. And the fight with the tank was completely stupid.
I don't like anime either.
Satsuma wrote:
I watched a bit of one of the GITS that was recommended in here, I think. It was a computer animation one and it wasn't exactly any good. Soz.

There's a CGI GitS?

Are you sure it didn't just have CGI bits with mostly traditional animation?
Cras wrote:
Grim... wrote:

This is all pretty much true. And the fight with the tank was completely stupid.

WTF? That bit was epic. You're mental.
Grim... wrote:
Satsuma wrote:

There's a CGI GitS?

Are you sure it didn't just have CGI bits with mostly traditional animation?

What? Now you've made me think I've made it all up in my head. I'm sure it was a GITS.

Erm, it had a big robot guy and a girl and at the beginning they have a shoot out on a train. And they have to get some batteries from a gangster by doing jobs for him. Ring any bells?
Page 4 of 5 [ 244 posts ]