Heatwave 22
Complain here!
I feel like I had 20 minutes of sleep last night.
Satsuma wrote:
Yeah but how and with what stuff I’ve got around the house?

Normal draft excluder strips round the edges, then on the back you want some loft insulation. Ours came with a foil lined pad of the stuff glued on.
MaliA wrote:
Heat rises. I've opened the hatches slightly for attics one and two,

Hmmm... that's got to be worth a try. Opened my hatch (['Oooo' - Ghost of Kenneth Williams]) to see what happens.
heat rises in convection, but there is also radiation to consider, and that cares not for gravity, and will radiate heat in all directions. (most UK grills are heating from above after all), so you may find limited success with the loft hatch, if the air in the loft is much hotter than the air in the house.
Physics. Gah.
Malc wrote:
heat rises in convection, but there is also radiation to consider, and that cares not for gravity, and will radiate heat in all directions. (most UK grills are heating from above after all), so you may find limited success with the loft hatch, if the air in the loft is much hotter than the air in the house.

This is the content I come here for.

I’ve stuck one of those doggie cooling pads on the hatch and thrown a thick blanket over the top. See if that works a bit better than nowt.
Yeah, we opened our loft hatch yesterday and immediately it started pouring much hotter air into the house. We closed that shit back up again quick.
The heavens have opened, and it's thundering!
Malc wrote:
The heavens have opened, and it's thundering!

Well... there's your problem...
I'd try a naked chicken bone dance to bring a storm to the Shire but I'm on Teams calls all day.
You bloody well won't Thursday while Tuesday when the Cool Crew feat. curio are partying.
Home office in loft was toastie yesterday, but thankfully not unbearable. I’ve gone in work today and the air con is delicious. It’s actually cloudy here too in Leyland.
MaliA wrote:
Thursday while Tuesday

not rising to the bait.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Satsuma wrote:
Yeah but how and with what stuff I’ve got around the house?

Normal draft excluder strips round the edges, then on the back you want some loft insulation. Ours came with a foil lined pad of the stuff glued on.

And if you don't have that, use a duvet.
Trooper wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Thursday while Tuesday

not rising to the bait.

I am, what the fuck is this?
Cras wrote:
Trooper wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Thursday while Tuesday

not rising to the bait.

I am, what the fuck is this?

It's a way of describing time.
It's a yorkshire thing. Like puddings, rugby league and an inflated sense of self-importance
MaliA wrote:
It's a way of describing time.

Is it bollocks. I would allow you 'through' or 'until'
This is why we war with them, absolute barmcakes.
It's raining here now. Heatwave's over, everyone back to normal!
my washing dried really quickly... in other news I am melting
Just have a nice cup of tea if you’re too hot.
Zardoz wrote:
Just have a nice cup of tea if you’re too hot.

bugger off
I'd offer some orange juice, but a big lunk broke the dispenser.
MaliA wrote:

When did they do that?
MaliA wrote:

:DD :DD
Dimrill wrote:
I feel like I had 20 minutes of sleep last night.

Weirdly I slept like a rock... And forgot to set an alarm; luckily Helen woke me up at the right time... But without my usual 1-2 hours of hitting snooze, I'm pretty sure I was actually asleep for a couple of hours - extreme sensation of being dissociated from my body and surroundings
KovacsC wrote:
MaliA wrote:

:D
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
MaliA wrote:

:D

:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD I win.
Knackered today, awful nights sleep… too hot (too noisy with window open) Mrs Z wakes up saying there’s something crawling on her, assumed it was a dream but no, had to remove a zebra spider from the bed. Ended up kipping on sofa downstairs at 2.30? as it was much cooler.
Same. Helen had enough first and went the sofa route. I wrapped my pillow in towels to sop up my fluids.
All day my various weather apps have been taunting me with the promise of a thunderstorm but it keeps on getting push backed every time I check.

At least it's not been as bad today. Might even venture further than the little Tesco.
Kern wrote:
All day my various weather apps have been taunting me with the promise of a thunderstorm but it keeps on getting push backed every time I check.

At least it's not been as bad today. Might even venture further than the little Tesco.

I'm reasonably close to you and its been the same for me but the heavens have opened and its raining quite heavily here now - so probably on its way to you in a few minutes :-)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The weather App said - raining all yesterday afternoon then vanished and a few hours with 'light drizzle' which actually was just a few spots
It then said 'heavy rain and thunderstorms for this afternoon from about 12
Then it changed that to no rain
Then to light rain
And it currently says light drizzle for the next 3 hours but this is quite heavy rain at the moment :-)
It is a lot cooler today..
zaphod79 wrote:
Kern wrote:

I'm reasonably close to you and its been the same for me but the heavens have opened and its raining quite heavily here now - so probably on its way to you in a few minutes :-)

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
The weather App said - raining all yesterday afternoon then vanished and a few hours with 'light drizzle' which actually was just a few spots
It then said 'heavy rain and thunderstorms for this afternoon from about 12
Then it changed that to no rain
Then to light rain
And it currently says light drizzle for the next 3 hours but this is quite heavy rain at the moment :-)

Started right on cue.
We are back in cold, wet Aus now, having spent the last 4 weeks back in England enjoying outside time and playing by the pool at Lady T's dad's house.

This was quite the unexpected turnabout. I have not been this brown in a long time.
Hey, don't worry, it cold and wet here now, too
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-62323048

The trolls really don't like the fact that virtually all the 'experts' and the presenters presented this as 'because of global warming' and not 'hey its hot'
Oh joy.

Just waiting for the inevitable hosepipe ban now.
Kern wrote:
Oh joy.

Just waiting for the inevitable hosepipe ban now.

That will be to follow on from the Thames Water leaflets they have been sending out saying dont have a bath
and at the same time keep discharging sewage into lakes and rivers :

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ent-agency

While making record profits

Quote:
Thames Water, which dumps sewage in local rivers, made an operating profit of £488 million last year. The water companies making billions in profit were responsible for nearly 400,000 sewage dumping events in 2020 alone, according to the Environment Agency

Anyway its hot its going to get a little hotter and not stop being hot for a while :-(

Attachment:
weather.png
Oh, bother. Next week, it's the right week for Green Man music festival, but the wrong week for the weather there!
Given the choice of spaces in an almost empty part of the car park, did I pick the spot in the shade?

No, of course I didn't. Gah.
Current status
I'm calling the council, you need to think of the profits of the water companies!
You've got so much water down south you all flooded Islington yesterday!
Got the sprinkler on in a display of conspicuous consumption.
MaliA wrote:

How very dare you, i'm proper midlands.
Sat outside in the garden with a cider, watching “Night Sky”.
I love these hotter evenings.
MaliA wrote:

Oh
Page 2 of 3 [ 117 posts ]