Celebrity Death List 2022
Best get started...
Julee Cruise :(
Philip Baker Hall
Andy Goram: Scotland and Rangers goalkeeping great dies aged 58 - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61460438
James Caan. Freebie and the Bean is a great movie which has kinda disappeared. I remember recording it off tv in the mid 80s and watching it countless times.
It’s possibly the first, or at least the first notable, buddy buddy cop movie. James Caan plays Freebie and Alan Arkin plays the Bean. You can read all you need to about it’s wildly out of date takes in the title, simply by the fact that Arkin plays a Mexican cop.
However, both characters are equally unreconstructed and equally guilty of what we would now consider unacceptable behaviour.
It’s of it’s time, but the dark and dry humour, and the relationship between the two main characters is great. And the stunts and driving sequences are far better than many notable, so called “car chase” movies of the era. And yes, I include Bullitt in that list.
Caan and Arkin play two feckless cops trying to bring down a local mobster and getting it wrong. Then they learn that Chicago has put a hit on him, so they have to shadow him for the weekend, while waiting for a key witness for their case against him to reappear in town. All while the Super Bowl is about to happen.
DBSnappa wrote:
James Caan. Freebie and the Bean .

I used to love Freebie and the Bean and Caan is in so many of those almost timeless 70's movies , the one I really remember him for is Rollerball

"Jon-A-than , Jon-A-than , Jon-A-than"

David Warner, actor
DBSnappa wrote:
David Warner, actor

Excellent villainous actor.
Sad to hear about David Warner. He's long been one of my favourite actors. I think my favourite role by him was a Jack the Ripper in 'Time After Time', featuring opposite Malcolm McDowell's H. G. Wells. A wonderful film. Not all of his roles were villainous either. He had a brief memorable stint as a Klingon chancellor in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and he played a seeker of the true Holy Grail in Babylon 5. There there was his role as the unfortunate photographer in The Omen. I would have paid more money to see Warner triumphantly drop-kick the evil child-Satan and save the world with his workhorse Nikon slung about his neck, but heigh-ho.

He also arguably made the best devil in Time Bandits, though there have been many great candidates for that throne - half of them character actors in the Twilight Zone. He was a hoot in The Man With Two Brains also, and popped up in the excellent John Carpenter film 'In the Mouth of Madness'. Finally he was an ongoing delight as the sophisticated, show-tunes loving big-brained villain The Lobe in Freakaziod, where he even gets a musical number to the tune of Louis Armstrong's 'Hello Dolly'.

You brought me lots of joy on the big and little screen Mr Warner. Here's a glass raised to you.
You forgot to mention his stunning TRIPLE role as the MCP/Sark/Dillinger in TRON. Truly a chilling villain(s)
Or as the Cardassian Interrogator in ST:TNG

There are a five lights, Captain
There were too many Trek roles to choose from, so I wound up choosing my favourite. He's a highlight in the fatally flawed Star Trek V as well, a film that could actually have been quite good had all the cards not been against it. There's also half a billion TV roles I neglected to mention, plus his stage work.

He's brilliant in TRON as he gets the opportunity to play both a petty crook in his small-time guise and a megalomaniac in the digital 'verse.
He was a goddam treasure.
Dimrill wrote:
Paul Sorvino

Another memorable TNG Alumnus!
He loved his turgid nitrogen gas.
Ripe old age but sad to hear he’s passed away.
I believe he's filmed scenes for the new Dr Who Series
Malc wrote:
Bernard Cribbins! No!

What an amazingly talented and versatile performer. He'll be much missed.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

She really was a legend.
Robert Hoffmann 30 August 1939 – 4 July 2022) was an Austrian actor, best known to British audiences for his title role performance in The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (1964).

You lot may not have seen it, but it was repeated several times and us kids of the 50s and 60s thought it was brill.
I remember the series. It was repeated in the 70s as well.
I remember the series. It was repeated in the 80s as well.
Ouch. That's no age at all.
Wolfgang Petersen.

In The Line Of Fire is one of my favourite movies, and Air Force One is great as well (if just for Gary Oldman if nothing else) -- I really should watch Das Boot one of these days.
Kern wrote:
Early elimination for Darius Campbell-Danesh

I guess not.
Grim... wrote:
Kern wrote:

I guess not.

Maybe give him three days?
I think he died about a week ago, so he's late.
Maybe he's still trying to decide which coloured door to come back through?
Jo Tewson, performed in more TV, film and radio comedies and dramas than you can shake a stick at.
Oli Fray, artist of Crash/Zzap/Amtix/men in tight clothes. Legend.
Grim... wrote:
Kern wrote:

I guess not.

Maybe he only did those two concerts properly and all the rest were mimed.
Mikhail Gorbachev died. Probably no connection to any criticism of Putin.
I’ve found that news quite moving today. A thoroughly decent and intelligent man
HRH Queen Elizabeth II

Points for everyone I reckon
Not for Kern, Nickachu, or Grim...
What the fuck, why didn't I choose her?!
Page 3 of 5 [ 210 posts ]