Apple Mac RMD
For photo editing
Zardoz wrote:
All the machines in this thread are more than capable. I think unless portability is the main goal you'd be better off with the iMac for photo editing.

I think so too, I'd hate to have to work on a laptop all the time because it's so uncomfortable but I have a pinched disc so I'm never comfortable. She definitely seems to be favouring a laptop though and if I do manage to find some studio space for her to rent then I can see the benefit of being able to take her computer with her. It's baby and child photography she's been doing and I think she's imagining scenarios where she's at the studio waiting for someone to arrive and able to do some editing on the computer. Then do the majority of the computer work back at home connected up to a good monitor with a proper desk workstation setup.
If I get her a laptop and she starts to find it sub optimal, I'll just have to get her the desktop at some point down the line as well. All that does is help to justify me deserving a new Xbox, PS5 and every hardback D&D book published so far ;)
Fair enough, I see your real motives now :D
DavPaz wrote:
sdg wrote:
Does a Macbook connect to a non Apple monitor ok?

Make sure it's a modern monitor with at least DisplayPort and you should be ok.

Should

I've not had any problems running this MBP with a couple of Dell Ultrasharp monitors (and/or my old but trusted thunderbolt display), so it's worked pretty well for me. I can't really talk about any other monitors, or newer stuff so YMMV.

Be aware that small laptop storage drives are very easy to fill up quite quickly...

I think that whatever you opt for, it will work and will be just fine but maybe that's making it harder to decide as there's not one single clearly superior/inferior way.

Zardoz wrote:
BeeX advice thread going as they always have and always will do :D

Yes I did feel a bit like that as I was writing about external monitors but I do like having my dual monitors at work :)
I'm disappointed we're onto the second page and so far noones recommended an xbox 360.

Which is clearly the most suitable suggestin.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
BeeX advice thread going as they always have and always will do :D

Yes I did feel a bit like that as I was writing about external monitors but I do like having my dual monitors at work :)

Nothing wrong with that at all, I have external monitors running from my iMacs at work and home. The more screen space the better. Not sure how the new MacBooks screens are these days for their viewing angle, my old MacBook Pro wasn't that hot though.
Mr Dave wrote:
I'm disappointed we're onto the second page and so far noones recommended an xbox 360.

You scrubber.
Should I be paying attention to this email Apple just sent me?

https://www.apple.com/uk/macbook-pro-13/
@Zardoz What graphics tablet do you use for digital art?
sdg wrote:

I bought an XP-Pen Deco 03. https://www.storexppen.co.uk/buy/deco-03.html

Very nearly paid £100 on a Deco Pro that was on sale but this came up for £40 on eBay. Takes a bit of brain training and tweaking but I use it without thinking as an input device now. There are cheaper models with same sensitivity but without the hot key buttons (barely use mine) but the scroll wheel is what I wanted for the zoom/brush size function.
Zardoz wrote:
sdg wrote:

I bought an XP-Pen Deco 03. https://www.storexppen.co.uk/buy/deco-03.html

Very nearly paid £100 on a Deco Pro that was on sale but this came up for £40 on eBay. Takes a bit of brain training and tweaking but I use it without thinking as an input device now. There are cheaper models with same sensitivity but without the hot key buttons (barely use mine) but the scroll wheel is what I wanted for the zoom/brush size function.

Thanks. I tried to google some yesterday and was baffled by the range and prices. Jen has been sketching a lot recently so it's in the back of my mind as something she might want at some point.
I did the same looking at Wacom pads, they were the only proper choice some years back but there are loads of manufacturers that trump them on performance and cost. This guy is good for impartial reviews on tablets etc: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClozNP ... zpGKC25s0A

There's one thing that does my head in, the driver doesn't always kick in at startup (sometimes hitting a button /jog wheel wheel will nudge it to life) so I still occasionally have to use a mouse to select my User at startup then it's away. Not a biggy, just a niggle and possibly something that will be fixed in a later update.
I use the Huion kamvas pro 16, which seemed a better option than the xp pen equivalent.

Generally ok, sometimes hard to get the pressure being removed as smooth as pressure going on is. Still not as good as the wacom equivalent, although cheaper.
Ah that's a display tablet, Dave. Mine is just a plain old slab.
Zardoz wrote:

I really couldn't get on with just a slab. I needed to see what I were drawing on. I know I'm far from alone there.
Mr Dave wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

I really couldn't get on with just a slab. I needed to see what I were drawing on. I know I'm far from alone there.

Further to that, I wondered how you manage to pick up and put down the (pen) in the right place zardoz? Are you looking at the image when you do that? Or the pad?
I use my third eye, becoming one with cyberspace, the pen becomes an extension of my digital self, the tablet surface a membrane of the virtual world.

ZOMG Spoiler! Click here to view!
I just look at the screen.

Also the on screen cursor appears as the nib is close to the surface so you can see where you're going to click/draw before contact is made.

Do you stare at your mouse all the time? Huh, do you? No, you probably don't.
Mr Dave wrote:
Zardoz wrote:

Use the force, Dave!

Giphy "rebel scum":
https://media0.giphy.com/media/RI4KOha9OFz3AbkkZZ/giphy-loop.mp4
I'm probably going to make this purchase today. She's set on the Macbook rather than desktop so will no doubt be seeking advice at some point in the future for a good monitor she can connect to for when she's working at a desk. Is there any future proof stuff I need to take into consideration now?
At the moment, I'm looking at this one: https://www.apple.com/uk_epp_136535/shop/bag

Macbook Pro 13" with 16Gb of RAM, 512Gb of storage and M1 chip.

What's different about the Pro vs the Macbook Air? Or to phrase it differently, do I need to be buying the Pro or would the Air do? I don't want her getting frustrated with slow down when changing between apps so if paying more for the Pro means it runs better for longer then I'm ok with that, but if it's unnecessary then great!
I looked at them when they came out and I honestly can’t recommend the Pro at this point. If you upgrade the RAM and storage they are very similar. The Pro has a slightly brighter display, better audio, and a bigger battery, but is heavier. It also has the gimmicky Touch Bar thing, which I’m not sure is all that useful at the moment.
Mr Chonks wrote:
I looked at them when they came out and I honestly can’t recommend the Pro at this point. If you upgrade the RAM and storage they are very similar. The Pro has a slightly brighter display, better audio, and a bigger battery, but is heavier. It also has the gimmicky Touch Bar thing, which I’m not sure is all that useful at the moment.

Yeah, this is the conclusion I came to, and am sure I've read elsewhere - other than the Touch Bar, there's little reason to go for the Pro. Its fan should mean that if it's worked very hard, it will stay quicker than an air, but I certainly wouldn't be getting to that stage. And the processor seems to be excellent in any case.
Mr Chonks wrote:
If it helps @sdg this is what I’m considering at the moment.

Just as a reminder, this is what I’ve specced. Can’t pull the trigger yet but I haven’t had any reason to change my mind.

https://www.beexcellenttoeachother.com/ ... &mode=view
JBR wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:

Yeah, this is the conclusion I came to, and am sure I've read elsewhere - other than the Touch Bar, there's little reason to go for the Pro. Its fan should mean that if it's worked very hard, it will stay quicker than an air, but I certainly wouldn't be getting to that stage. And the processor seems to be excellent in any case.

Yeah, unless you’re doing very heavy video editing or development, I can’t see any benefit. If you’re desperate for a bigger screen, maybe, but if it’s going to be plugged into a monitor most of the time it’s a waste of money.
I've order an Air. Read a few reviews that were all saying the same things you've all been saying. Thank you :)
This arrived yesterday and it's very nice! Surprisingly heavy for something called Air but the screen is gorgeous; the colour, detail and depth in photographs is incredible. I've ordered a USB-C adaptor to give USB and SD card connections which is arriving today and our old mouse from the iMac works with it so once she's transferred all of her stuff over, I should be getting the old laptop as my own since my work laptop blocks any site that has any semblance of fun about it.
Page 2 of 2 [ 74 posts ]