Bits and Bobs 51
Where IS area 51?
BikNorton wrote:
Make sure you check an extra couple of layers below your normal decoy, just to be on the safe side.

I checked every last disc.
Coding question: When CleverDan gets a better offer and sods off to InfoFinTech for stock options and a fast trading bot, how much of a pain is it to pickup someone else's programming? Do you have to unpick it all, and work out why they did something and how?

Or is it fairly straightforward?
MaliA wrote:
Coding question: When CleverDan gets a better offer and sods off to InfoFinTech for stock options and a fast trading bot, how much of a pain is it to pickup someone else's programming? Do you have to unpick it all, and work out why they did something and how?

Depends how good their coding practices are. If they document well and comment their code, it's usually not that hard. Maintaining other people's code is fairly normal.
Cras wrote:
MaliA wrote:

Depends how good their coding practices are. If they document well and comment their code, it's usually not that hard. Maintaining other people's code is fairly normal.

The actual Dan we had that fucked off left some fairly colourful comments in his code, some of which which happened to be seen by one of our customers. Not the best thing to have to explain.
God help anyone that ever has to pick up my coding. :S :DD
Jem wrote:

:S
My approach is to fuck around using random google results until something works, then hope it keeps working so I don't have to fix it.
That's how I've been coding for 20 years and it hasn't failed me so far.
Thankfully, the only code I really have to poke around with is the occasional bit of Javascript, but pretty much the only comments in the files are the name and company of who added each little snippet of code and maybe the date it was added. That's about it - nothing about what the code actually does.
Cras wrote:
If they document well and comment their code

Giphy "hahahaha":
https://media1.giphy.com/media/3oEduPQqbpT1LqVOz6/giphy-loop.mp4
Two of my devs are incredibly good at explanatory documentation and useful comments. I do code reviews on their stuff which is like a waiter offering helpful feedback on the food to a Michelin starred chef.
"Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live" is good practice.
Cras wrote:
Two of my devs are incredibly good at explanatory documentation and useful comments.

I am in my own stuff, but inevitably in the day job we've got so many plates spinning at the same time that there's very little time for actual future-proofing ;)
Jem wrote:

:this: but it's usually just me again 6 months later.
I feel like the only beexer who doesn’t know how to code :S
You’re not. I had to do coding for my BTEC, which must have been about 20 years ago, and I haven’t done any since. The nearest I got was writing batch files for deploying updates to our users.

I’ve occasionally been tempted to try some on-line coding training, but I don’t need it for work, and I don’t have enough spare time to do it anyway.
sdg wrote:

I don’t either. I just manage some people who do.
I used to code PLC and ROM chips on my degree course. That was in Hex. That was great fun.
I have somehow agreed to put the Christmas decorations up today...
TheVision wrote:
I have somehow agreed to put the Christmas decorations up today...

Same here, just got back from the garden centre, tree on the car, looking like Clark Griswold.
Heading out for tree soon!
I was thinking of putting ours up this weekend, also. Had planned to do it whilst Darwin was at school on Tuesday (get the trees in situ and put all of the lights on them), but as that’s not happening I guess we might as well put them up now.
Don't we hate comments now? I can't keep up.

Seriously though, comments can mostly go away (apart from docblocks, obv). If you need more comments then you're almost certainly breaking the S in SOLID.

There are exceptions, of course: I'll grudgingly accept a comment explaining why something is happening, but if it's telling us how something is happening then the code needs refactoring. Other exceptions can be if you're really optimising something, or you're doing something that's naturally complex (some badass math, or something).

I guess it depends on the language, too.
Of course, we all have a full test suite written in easy to understand code, that gives you all you need to know to understand how the code works and what the intentions are...right?
Mimi wrote:
I was thinking of putting ours up this weekend, also. Had planned to do it whilst Darwin was at school on Tuesday (get the trees in situ and put all of the lights on them), but as that’s not happening I guess we might as well put them up now.

I daresay we'll grab a tree midweek and let it settle and then aim to have it all done by next weekend (loadsof trees up around here in people's houses already). MrsA is desiring lights outside the house, so I see ladder work in my future.

Already smashed through two boxes of mince pies.
Joans wrote:
Jem wrote:

:this: but it's usually just me again 6 months later.

Same, but this is part of my problem tbh. Because I've only ever really worked alone - as the sole dev at a company, then later on as the lead dev but with juniors who didn't know their arse from their elbow, only to go on to freelance, I have a LOT of bad habits / things I do because it's unlikely anyone else will ever have to look at it.

That said, Gaz and I sometimes work together on stuff and he hasn't killed me yet. I think that says more about Gaz's patience and skill than it does about me though. :DD
Trooper wrote:
Of course, we all have a full test suite written in easy to understand code, that gives you all you need to know to understand how the code works and what the intentions are...right?

If you need a test suite (essentially acting as "another form of external documentation" here) to understand a class/method, you're still doing it wrong.

The only purpose for a test suite is to check you've done what you thought the requirements said you should do.

The only comments I insist on are xmldoc on public/protected methods and class headers, and that's company policy, not just mine. If code itself needs commenting it had better be "work around a quirk/bug in an underlying piece of code which you don't have access to or time to do a complete overhaul on" or because what you're doing is just really hard to code in an easily understandable fashion, and justifiable to your reviewer.

Beyond backlog items there's very little other documentation either - "I'm new to this nightmare, how do I get it/build it/run it?" and anything absolutely required by the wider R&d process, which is absurdly heavy.
BikNorton wrote:
Trooper wrote:

The only purpose for a test suite is to check you've done what you thought the requirements said you should do.

Gosh, no.
TDD, contract based APIs, continuous delivery etc...
sdg wrote:

Hero of Excrement too, even though he’s very well suited to it
Mr Chonks wrote:
sdg wrote:

I thought you were more dignified than that.
Trooper wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
sdg wrote:

I expected better.
ApplePieOfDestiny wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
sdg wrote:

I expected better.

A sneering elitist, clearly
sdg wrote:

10 PRINT “Myps boiler is pooh”
20 GOTO 10
Trooper wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Gosh, no.

All of that is fancy words for "checking you've done what (you thought) the requirements said you should do."
BikNorton wrote:
Trooper wrote:
BikNorton wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Gosh, no.

All of that is fancy words for "checking you've done what (you thought) the requirements said you should do."

It really, really isn't, but ok.
Til that I was born 100 years and 110 days after Churchill. Shame he wasn't born 10 days later.
I guess I technically learnt that yesterday, didn't notice how late it was as! YIL!
This is the first time I’ve ever seen someone use “TIL” or “YIL.”

I guessed TIL correctly, but had to Google for YIL.

So WHYLT?
Warhead wrote:

Really? I’m sure it’s used on Beex pretty frequently!
Mimi wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Really? I’m sure it’s used on Beex pretty frequently!

I suppose it's possible that I've seen them before but just ignored them on the assumption they were typos.
i had to google them too..
TIL that some people don't know what TIL means
DavPaz wrote:
TIL that some people don't know what TIL means

ELI5 ;)
Sal and I argue over what IMHO stands for.
In my humble opinion?
Jem wrote:
In my humble opinion?

Correct
IIRC it context drifted to honest over the years
Mr Chonks wrote:
Sal and I argue over what IMHO stands for.

This is an odd one for me. If I was answering in a quiz I’d say the H stood for ‘humble’, but when I read it, I read it as ‘in my honest opinion’.
Jem and I have argued for ages about what IANAL means. She thinks it's something to do with lawyers, but whenever I say it she chases after me with a turkey twizzler.
Page 5 of 60 [ 2953 posts ]