Bits and Bobs 51
Where IS area 51?
Today's call list was JUST about do-able when I looked at it last night.

This morning we seem to be a man down as i've had extra calls dropped on me in Kirkburton, Huddersfield, Rochdale, Macclesfield, Trafford Park and central Manchester, so only do-able if I had access to the corporate helicopter.

How appropriate that the first song that popped on my iPad was 21st Century Schizoid Man.
Hullo! I am back in your timezone, for permanents. Has much been happening around here this year?
Holy shit! Nah, been quiet
I am aggrieved that PS5s are out of stock - that is, like, literally, the worst thing that has happened this year.
MrChris wrote:
Hullo! I am back in your timezone, for permanents. Has much been happening around here this year?

Welcome back....
MrChris wrote:

We found out that Squirt looks like Wullie.
MrChris wrote:

Remind me, you're one of DavPaz's sockpuppets, right?
Welcome back, Kissifur!
Can anyone tell me what the name of those things are...they’re like wee plastic balls but they’re not balls. You pin them on a board I think. Then you make them warm, maybe with an iron or something? And they sort of fuse together. You use them to make Christmas tree decorations. Like crafts. They look a bit like pixels.
sdg wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the name of those things are...they’re like wee plastic balls but they’re not balls. You pin them on a board I think. Then you make them warm, maybe with an iron or something? And they sort of fuse together. You use them to make Christmas tree decorations. Like crafts. They look a bit like pixels.

Hama beads
sdg wrote:

This is my favourite question ever. The way it is phrased is so beautiful.

This is the Hama Bead star Russell made coming on a decade ago now: https://mimicodd.com/2012/12/fo-8-bit-c ... ility.html
Thank you both! My search for iron balls made me pause and wait for an answer :D

Mimi wrote:
sdg wrote:

This is my favourite question ever. The way it is phrased is so beautiful.

This is the Hama Bead star Russell made coming on a decade ago now: https://mimicodd.com/2012/12/fo-8-bit-c ... ility.html

I love this! How do you attach it to the tree?
That’s excellent.
It just kind of nestles on the tree, but if it had any trouble starting out I’d put a little cone of card, or made from a piece cut from a pop bottle, into the back. Or indeed stick a couple of twist ties or florists wire to the back.
I’ve ordered these. I’d have liked to have gone out today to buy them but the nearest hobby craft is in Dundee which is outside my council area so I can’t travel there under current restrictions.

The Disney Frozen set will send eldest child into a fit of delirium and I’m absolutely going to try and make a pixel star!
I love Paper Dolls! One of my favourite bed time reads that.
Aw, have fun! Darwin has an Aquabead (rather than Hama Bead) fascination and has also recently discovered Frozen, so there is a chance we might follow you down the same path.
TheVision wrote:

But what do you read to the kids?
Anna in Frozen is such a twat.
TheVision wrote:

I’m surprised I’ve not bought it already, I remember it being a being a CBeebies bedtime story and really liking it but I just don’t think I’ve ever seen it in the local bookshops.

Our favourites are The Girls, The Colour Monster, Stardust, Interstellar Cinderella, Rosie Revere Engineer, The Girl and the Dinosaur...

Goodnight Moon still makes a regular appearance as well which is a good book fir when you want story time to be over quickly :D
Mimi wrote:
Aw, have fun! Darwin has an Aquabead (rather than Hama Bead) fascination and has also recently discovered Frozen, so there is a chance we might follow you down the same path.

Neve adores Frozen, she is well known in the village for being out and about in her Elsa dress. I actually quite like it too, she could have chosen a far worse thing to obsess on!
This seems like a stupid question, but:

I bought a Vigo the Carpathian canvas the other month, and now that it's arrived it is literally just the canvas, i.e no frame to wrap it around.

I don't know whether I'm just searching for the wrong things, but whenever I search for canvas frames I get loads of results for frames with a canvas already wrapped around it, but no results for just the frame alone.

Any ideas where I can buy such a thing?
GazChap wrote:

I bought a Vigo the Carpathian canvas the other month, and now that it's arrived it is literally just the canvas, i.e no frame to wrap it around.

I don't know whether I'm just searching for the wrong things, but whenever I search for canvas frames I get loads of results for frames with a canvas already wrapped around it, but no results for just the frame alone.

https://www.easyframe.co.uk/canvas-frames ?
This was my search and it seemed to turn up relevant looking stuff:

https://www.google.com/search?q=picture ... for+canvas
I think a lot of those are intended for canvasses that have already been stretched around a frame, but one of the options on there is "canvas stretcher bars" which looks like what I'm after - cheers.
GazChap wrote:

Frame shop.
Zardoz wrote:
Frame shop.

This is a good shout actually. At a previous job, we had a load of pictures framed professionally and the quality of the job blew me away. I probably didn't expect them to come out as good as they did but, especially with a stretchy canvas, I think it would be worth the investment.
We are clearing out the fridge. Everything recyclable had to be emptied. I've been helping by huffing nitrous from the whipped cream.
Why are you clearing out the fridge?
Chuck out old condiments, and give it all a good clean.

Rock n roll life, this.
My isn't it cold and icy. Well it would be as today is the day Kov is getting a new boiler.

Today is going to be long and cold.... :DD
Aw Kov! That’s the worst! Wrap up warm. I’ve been in a similar position and it’s not fun at all.

I was looking after my nan’s flat when the council replaced the windows IN JANUARY. Sadly, she was in hospital at the time, but I don’t know how she’d have coped as the took out every single window in the flat, disappeared for four hours, then came back with some windows and fitted them, instead of doing them one by one.

We don’t have any heating* where we live now, but it’s not too bad.

*Well, we have a couple of storage heaters but we don’t use them as they are useless.

Put an extra jumper on today, Kov!
I will be wearing all my jumpers.

Just sods law, it has been mild all month, until the heating is turned off..
I think it’s set to be pretty mild today, isn’t it? I thought it was just a cold start.
It was 2 degrees when I set out from Manchester at 7.30 and the van was a bit frosty, but it 9 degrees in Fazakerly now.
Garage conversion starts today so there's basically a big hole in the front of my house, so I know the feeling Kov :S
Jem wrote:
Garage conversion starts today so there's basically a big hole in the front of my house, so I know the feeling Kov :S

I saw when I went to the CO-OP.

At least it is not snowing :)
Seren has drawn for us, a digger loading a rock truck. The operators are wearing helmets and the truck is on a hill so the digger can reach it. She's available for commissions.
Warhead wrote:
It was 2 degrees when I set out from Manchester at 7.30 and the van was a bit frosty, but it 9 degrees in Fazakerly now.

Hey, MrsPaz works there. You should say hi!
krazywookie wrote:
Seren has drawn for us, a digger loading a rock truck. The operators are wearing helmets and the truck is on a hill so the digger can reach it. She's available for commissions.

It's Zardoz level!
DavPaz wrote:
Warhead wrote:

"Hi"
Warhead wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Warhead wrote:

"Hi"

Asked for it, didn't I?
DavPaz wrote:
Warhead wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Warhead wrote:

"Hi"

Asked for it, didn't I?

You did. :D

Then again, I wasn't sure which " there" you were referring to and either way, they're both big-ish areas with lots of people of both sexes, so I could waste a lot of time saying "Hi," to random females and still never meet her.

You clearly haven't thought this through.

How you keep managing to win the quiz is baffling.
@thevision
A big ol' stack o CD-R and CD-RW all 700MB for you if you can be bothered paying for postage. Shiny frisbees otherwise.
krazywookie wrote:

:this: is superb!
krazywookie wrote:
@thevision
A big ol' stack o CD-R and CD-RW all 700MB for you if you can be bothered paying for postage. Shiny frisbees otherwise.

Yes please! I'll have them if you don't mind posting them?
I still have some too.
TheVision wrote:
krazywookie wrote:
@thevision

Yes please! I'll have them if you don't mind posting them?

Pm ur deetz, I'll parcel2go them
Make sure you check an extra couple of layers below your normal decoy, just to be on the safe side.
Page 4 of 59 [ 2939 posts ]