Where do you rest your arse.... :)
That’s my home.
Reply
My current computer chair is dying, the seat randomly drops :)

I am looking at the Secret labs, but they seem spendy, and I have heard not too comfortable.

What do you folks have? as there seems a million different sorts of chairs out there. I don't mind the look as long as it is comfy for long days..

Thanks
If your current one is still comfy you could order a replacement gas lift.
Timely thread, as I'm hoping to get myself a decent chair for my SHINY NEW HOME OFFICE by the end of the year. Will be looking at recommendations with interest.
Jem wrote:
Timely thread, as I'm hoping to get myself a decent chair for my SHINY NEW HOME OFFICE by the end of the year. Will be looking at recommendations with interest.


I spoke to your brother, and he has put me off Secret Labs..
Dimrill wrote:
If your current one is still comfy you could order a replacement gas lift.


It is not that comfy, so an upgrade is due.
Have you tried stealing one from your old job two days before you hand your notice in and then "forgetting" to take it back?

Just me?
Genuine advice. If you're a leg tucker and tend to wear shorts at home, stay away from vinyl chairs.

Damn near lost some flesh during the hot weather
Standard advice: find a local secondhand place and get a reconditioned Herman Miller for less than 1/3rd retail price. The Mirra 2 or Sayl are good choices.
I had a similar conundrum recently, getting a good office chair is difficult.
I ended up refurbishing the one I currently have (new foam and vinyl) as it was impossible to find a chair with the features I wanted, for a reasonable price.
I paid about £300 for my current one many years ago, the secret labs chairs look nice but don't have as many adjustments or the recline action I'm after, so not great for the price IMO.
I bought a Herman Miller Sayl for Mrs Fop's christmas present from these people: https://officefurniturescene.co.uk/

Was about £380. We had some issues with the delivery (damaged on arrival), which was not their fault, and they worked hard to remedy the situation. Chair itself is great.
I have a SKRUVSTA (sounds more like an arse problem than a chair) from Ikea. I liked the retro look, but it's actually amazingly comfy, to me at least. Probably not the healthiest chair for your back and stuff, but it gets a thumbs up from me.

P.S. It's a hundred quid at your end.
Zardoz wrote:
I hope you’re resting it on a Kolon

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/kolon-floo ... -44881100/


That was a very Zardoz gag and of course I love you for it.

And no, it's on a karpet.
Back when we worked in an office I had a stand up desk, which I loved.

Then the world ended and we started working from home, and I missed my stand up desk, and then we were told we were walking from home forever, and I missed my stand up desk even more.

I tried a couple of different chairs and even invested in a decent office type chair, but just couldn't get along with sitting down all day again, having got so used to standing up.

So in the end I asked work if I could have one of the stand up desks from the office and they said yes, so I binned off my standard desk, and am now back at a stand up desk, which is sooooooo much nicer than being sat down all day. (They also gave me a bigger model than the one I'd had back in the office, so that's a win.)

Would really recommended giving one a go if you've never tried it, makes a massive difference to my comfort and also my energy levels in a weird sort of way, as there's more 'movement' involved throughout the day. I was seriously getting fed up with being sat down all day, it's just not what human beings were built for, so uncomfortable.

The desk can be moved up and down with a couple of little buttons, but it's been in the fully erect (fnaar) position ever since I took delivery of it. The chair underneath it is just for display purposes really.

Attachment:
desko.JPG
I would love a stand up desk but I'm not sure I'd get one the right size for what I need.. I suppose I could always research it but you know, that involves looking for things.

Also.... I'm not sure it would work as my PC is on the floor with all the cables trailing up to the desktop. I don't think they'd appreciate being tugged on every time I wanted to stand up.
Obviously work for some but people moaning about bad backs at work got those stands you can raise up to make a standing desk. I'd see them stood up a bit for the first couple of weeks but pretty much never after that. Sitting on chairs is fine as long as you get up enough, go for a walk when you can etc.
Yes this is a fully adjustable one. I have an intermittently bad back myself from when I threw it out lugging a fireplace around with a mate about 15 years ago (was laid up for a couple of weeks on industrial strength painkillers, following a 3am visit from the emergency doctor because I was in so much pain), and I'm far more comfortable with a stand up desk than being sat down all day.

I get that it's a 'YMMV' type thing, all I'm really suggesting here is that for someone who's never considered it before, if you can give a stand up desk a try, I'd definitely recommend doing so.

A few of my colleagues in the office switched to the stand up desk at the same time as I did, and there was a real variety of experiences, some folks quickly reverted to having them in the sit down position all the time, some folks used them as stand up desks rarely/sometimes/most of the time, and a few of us (I was one of those) put them in the stand up position permanently and never looked back.

Having one to use at home has really improved my overall comfort and mood since I got it again about three weeks ago.
TheVision wrote:
I would love a stand up desk but I'm not sure I'd get one the right size for what I need.. I suppose I could always research it but you know, that involves looking for things.

Also.... I'm not sure it would work as my PC is on the floor with all the cables trailing up to the desktop. I don't think they'd appreciate being tugged on every time I wanted to stand up.

A stand-up desk for a stand-up guy
Never had a job that involved lengthy sitting before. WFH is bad for your arse!
MrC wrote:
I have a SKRUVSTA (sounds more like an arse problem than a chair) from Ikea. I liked the retro look, but it's actually amazingly comfy, to me at least. Probably not the healthiest chair for your back and stuff, but it gets a thumbs up from me.

P.S. It's a hundred quid at your end.


I had one of those and liked it, but my daughter nicked it. I'm currently using an IKEA 'ADDE' which was £8 and is exactly as crap as it sounds, but I don't have any problems with my back (the power of deadlifting :metul: ) and have reasonably good posture so have never noticed any issues from it. Getting a new chair is to stop everyone else moaning at me more than anything :DD

While we're on the subject of standing desks, though - has anyone tried one of the desk stand converter things, like the Yo-Yo? I keep looking at them with interest but not sure I can justify the cost...
markg wrote:
Obviously work for some but people moaning about bad backs at work got those stands you can raise up to make a standing desk. I'd see them stood up a bit for the first couple of weeks but pretty much never after that. Sitting on chairs is fine as long as you get up enough, go for a walk when you can etc.


I had a standing desk at work but very rarely used it. I couldn't get down with the idea that my arse would feature prominently on the many video calls of my adjacent colleagues.
Findus Fop wrote:
I had a standing desk at work but very rarely used it. I couldn't get down with the idea that my arse would feature prominently on the many video calls of my adjacent colleagues.


Productivity and sexiness in one convenient package.
https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk ... chair.html is what I bought for the office, then borrowed one to WFH as it's very comfy.

Some friends have Secret Labs chairs and rate them.
This looks good value - https://www.officefurnitureonline.co.uk ... chair.html

Although I still like the secret labs ones :)
+1 for Secretlabs, comfiest chair I've ever had.
I would absolutely go mesh back next time, the past few weeks have been uncomfortable...
Trooper wrote:
I would absolutely go mesh back next time, the past few weeks have been uncomfortable...


Another vote for mesh-backed chairs here. Until you mentioned it, I'd not given it a second thought because my current chair has a mesh back and hasn't been a problem in the recent heat at all.
Can I hijack this thread to ask for other home office recs?

I’m setting mine up right now ahead of going back to work in September. I need a monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, and webcam.

Ideally, I want to spend around £100 on the monitor and get one that could double as a monitor for console gaming.

I want to spend as little as possible on the wireless keyboard and mouse, and the webcam. Keyboard and mouse must be wireless because I can’t spare the usb slots on my laptop. Webcam would ideally have a good quality picture but I’d rather it not be wide angled since my home office is in my bedroom.

To drag this back on topic, I’ve just bought my chair and went for the Secret Lab Titan (Stealth?) the all black one. If my wife hadn’t been looking over my shoulder at the prices when I ordered, I’d have got the Batman one for sure! It’s due to arrive around Sept 11th so I’ll update on how it feels when it arrives.
It's been a while since I bought any but do the wireless keyboard and mouse not still need a receiver plugging in that will still take up USB slots?

Some monitors however will come with USB slots that you can plug things into.
Bluetooth keyboards will do that, assuming your laptop has blootoof
Mr Russell wrote:
It's been a while since I bought any but do the wireless keyboard and mouse not still need a receiver plugging in that will still take up USB slots?

Some monitors however will come with USB slots that you can plug things into.

Yes, but one receiver is shared by both devices so it saves me one slot.

Getting a monitor with usb slots is a good idea, I don’t think I’d get that plus 1ms input lag and high refresh rate all for around £100 though!
sdg wrote:
Can I hijack this thread to ask for other home office recs?

I’m setting mine up right now ahead of going back to work in September. I need a monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse, and webcam.

Ideally, I want to spend around £100 on the monitor and get one that could double as a monitor for console gaming.

I want to spend as little as possible on the wireless keyboard and mouse, and the webcam. Keyboard and mouse must be wireless because I can’t spare the usb slots on my laptop. Webcam would ideally have a good quality picture but I’d rather it not be wide angled since my home office is in my bedroom.

To drag this back on topic, I’ve just bought my chair and went for the Secret Lab Titan (Stealth?) the all black one. If my wife hadn’t been looking over my shoulder at the prices when I ordered, I’d have got the Batman one for sure! It’s due to arrive around Sept 11th so I’ll update on how it feels when it arrives.



I went for the Logitech unifier mouse and keyboard. You only need one port. There some good deals out there.

I need a web cam. The prices have just started to come down. So still looking, the Logitech 920 has been recommend
Can a mod sort the sub head so it's "that's my home" if only to quell the voices in my head whenever i see this thread.
It's a niche ask, but if you don't ask you don't get.
Well that's just great, now it's in my head too
Findus Fop wrote:
Can a mod sort the sub head so it's "that's my home" if only to quell the voices in my head whenever i see this thread.


Done.
KovacsC wrote:
I need a web cam. The prices have just started to come down. So still looking, the Logitech 920 has been recommend


Although do note with the 920, that if you use microsoft teams for video calls (but seemingly not video meetings) you'll often find that teams refuses to work with the camera. (although logicapture as an intermediate can fix this)

I had this, and it appears i'm far from the only one. Yet to try on my new work laptop.
I've had nothing but good experiences with my ms lifecam.
I have a Logitech C920 and as long as you load the Logitech software first, then it'll work fine with Teams. You'll be wanting the Logitech software loaded first anyway as it can smooth out your face and make you look all dreamy.
You’re not resting your arse at my home
Secret labs have just brought out ‘the joker’ it looks great

#titan_2020-the_joker">https://secretlab.co.uk/collections/tit ... -the_joker
KovacsC wrote:
Secret labs have just brought out ‘the joker’ it looks great

#titan_2020-the_joker">https://secretlab.co.uk/collections/tit ... -the_joker

That’s nice, if I didn’t need the chair by mid Sept for when I go back to work I’d consider changing to that.
My chair has arrived! It was estimated shipping on 11th Sept so much earlier than expected. I’m very impressed, almost looking forward to starting work now.

Attachment:
64C72DC1-D8CD-4E9A-81DB-AE541F007AFD.jpeg
Added bonus that it makes you look younger.
sdg wrote:
My chair has arrived! It was estimated shipping on 11th Sept so much earlier than expected. I’m very impressed, almost looking forward to starting work now.

Attachment:
64C72DC1-D8CD-4E9A-81DB-AE541F007AFD.jpeg


omg the cuteness :luv: :luv:
I'd get that baby off your fancy new chair if I were you. They leak :D

So cute, though
She’s an especially sicky model so it’s just a part of every outfit now I think.
Oh I like the chair... which one is it?
KovacsC wrote:
Oh I like the chair... which one is it?

It’s the all black Secret Lab Titan.

https://secretlab.co.uk/collections/titan-series

When I bought it, it was preorder so it was listed for £349. I emailed them before I bought to ask if there were any live discount codes and they offered to refund £20 back after I’d bought it so I did and paid total £329. It’s in stock now so I think it’s gone up to £399 but worth emailing them asking to price match mine.
Page 1 of 2 [ 54 posts ]