Coronavirus
Got serious for me, in that parkrun is cancelled all over Europe. Was I really in The Netherlands just for that? Um, kind of. So I'm on a ferry back to the UK. Probably better to be in a family home than a.n.other hostel which might close and turf me out, anyway.
Looks like London Marathon has been postponed
Without wanting to sound like Frazer off Dad's Army, I think a lot of things are going to go. Most sport has already been cancelled.
I wonder if Trump will cancel the election.
Grim... wrote:
Without wanting to sound like Frazer off Dad's Army, I think a lot of things are going to go. Most sport has already been cancelled.

Yes. Ah well.

Better keep training.
Guy came in work despite fever and coughing because he doesn't want a final written warning for attendance. This is despite the boss saying such absences would be excused.

This is what happens when your company is strict on "attendance management" _and_ you teach staff that it doesn't matter what comes down from the top, because local managers will twist it whichever way they want _and_ that grievance processes are a waste of time.

Oh and his direct manager was like "oh no, it's just a cold, he says he's fine".
markg wrote:
I wonder if Trump will cancel the election.

Forever. It’ll be like the Beex mod elections, but almost as bad
Bad, Cras, bad.
Looks like it's following the predicted patterns of cases ~doubling every 2 days.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 484dd4bb14

Tried to talk my Ma out of going on a coach trip which she just laughed at and said "it's not worth doing anything until it's at its peak". Grr.
My mum's mate has refused not to go on her cruise even though they have basically told her not to.

Bit silly. Could be like prison.
Promised pancakes for breakfast, went to the shops and the preppers have stockpiled all the eggs. :DD
Looking at the empty shelves apparently the other essentials for doomsday are crisps and biscuits.
People are saying how all this stuff is being panic bought just for now but some of this has been creeping in for a while.

As you can imagine we rely heavily on painkillers and we’ve seen the stocks of ibuprofen and paracetemol either be out of stock for months now or when they are in stock nearly doubled in price. That kind of thing has been happening on and off with various different meds both in supermarkets and pharmacies (all anecdotal data obv) since the October deadline for Brexit was reached.
I think there's been issues on the supply side for some of those rather than just people stockpiling.
markg wrote:
Looking at the empty shelves apparently the other essentials for doomsday are crisps and biscuits.

And beer
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
markg wrote:

And beer

And my axe
The past fortnight has been a fucking horrorshow at work, sorting out the next six weeks plans. Daily.
Just back from the train station, and i've had a refund on my season pass. £240 back... at some point in the future... understandably they have a bit of a backlog.

Also, tried to pick up some yeast on the way home, as i'm at home for the next few weeks I might as well do some baking. No yeast anywhere.
I'm filming a dance show today and tomorrow... A mass gathering of around 200 people each day.

I was looking forward to it until a week ago.
Half marathon tomorrow.
MaliA wrote:
Half marathon tomorrow.

I hope you’re not being serious.
How Italian doctors failed to stop coronavirus super-spreader: Marathon runner at outbreak epicentre infected 13 people including his pregnant wife, two doctors, three bar-goers and a 77-year-old woman who died
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coronavi ... li=BBoPU0R
Mr Russell wrote:
How Italian doctors failed to stop coronavirus super-spreader: Marathon runner at outbreak epicentre infected 13 people including his pregnant wife, two doctors, three bar-goers and a 77-year-old woman who died

He didn't infect 13 people running marathons though, so not sure how this is relevant?
Joans wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

He didn't infect 13 people running marathons though, so not sure how this is relevant?

My mistake. Carry on with the mass gatherings.
Mr Russell wrote:
Joans wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Not saying I disagree with you, just this was a good example of sensationalist fact in headline, not relevant to story. It would have been more accurate to call him a pub goer.
Joans wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Joans wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

Not saying I disagree with you, just this was a good example of sensationalist fact in headline, not relevant to story. It would have been more accurate to call him a pub goer.

I'll go to the 'spoons after, most likely. Couple of malt based recovery beverages and maybe a gammon, egg and chips.
MaliA wrote:
Joans wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Joans wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

I'll go to the 'spoons after, most likely. Couple of malt based recovery beverages and maybe a gammon, egg and chips.

You monster!
Joans wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Joans wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:
Joans wrote:
Mr Russell wrote:

You monster!

But I'm your monster
Mr Russell wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Half marathon tomorrow.

I hope you’re not being serious.

Yeah, my view is that people have risk assessed it more than I have and if they say it's OK, it's OK.

Not that many'll turn out to cheer me on.
Trooper wrote:
Just back from the train station, and i've had a refund on my season pass. £240 back... at some point in the future... understandably they have a bit of a backlog.

Also, tried to pick up some yeast on the way home, as i'm at home for the next few weeks I might as well do some baking. No yeast anywhere.

Ooh, how does that work in terms of season ticket refunds? Is it a massive faff?
Findus Fop wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Ooh, how does that work in terms of season ticket refunds? Is it a massive faff?

Just needed to fill out a form, took 5 minutes.
Trooper wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Cheers. £400 a month. Will buy loads of tins of beans, that.
Trooper wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Super easy, barely an inconvenience
Findus Fop wrote:
Trooper wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Cheers. £400 a month. Will buy loads of tins of beans, that.

Four hundred pounds. A month?
Mine is £550 a month ..
Christ, I pay £70
Well, that's our trip to New Zealand in a fortnight potentially buggered, depending on what they mean by "self isolate", as we are planning on being in the middle of nowhere anyway! Guy from NZ immigration I spoke to seemed to think it wouldn't prevent us from turning up, staying in a cottage and hiking, and the "self isolate" isn't policed as such (although we are fairly used to social distancing now in Singapore and happy to keep doing so). Will be speaking to immigration again on Monday to see if they've updated the requirements.... otherwise this is thousands of dollars down the drain :-/
MaliA wrote:
Christ, I pay £70

I forgive you, my son.
MaliA wrote:
Christ, I pay £70

But you live in Liverpool so it evens out.
Mr Chonks wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Christ, I pay £70

Greatest city in the world. But I commute in to it.
MaliA wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
MaliA wrote:
Christ, I pay £70

Greatest city in the world. But I commute in to it.

From Tranmere
I pay about £5k a year, plus £1.5k to park the car.
Well, my work does.
MrChris wrote:
Well, that's our trip to New Zealand in a fortnight potentially buggered, depending on what they mean by "self isolate", as we are planning on being in the middle of nowhere anyway! Guy from NZ immigration I spoke to seemed to think it wouldn't prevent us from turning up, staying in a cottage and hiking, and the "self isolate" isn't policed as such (although we are fairly used to social distancing now in Singapore and happy to keep doing so). Will be speaking to immigration again on Monday to see if they've updated the requirements.... otherwise this is thousands of dollars down the drain :-/

I assume insurance would cover actually not being able to go on the trip?
Trooper wrote:

Time to sourdough!
Cras wrote:
MrChris wrote:

I assume insurance would cover actually not being able to go on the trip?

Sadly not, no - they have exemptions you could drive a small country through. "Governmental action" being one of them (e.g. NZ announcing they won't allow foreigners in). Ridiculously, we'd be more likely to be able to claim if one of us got seriously ill with COVID before we travel. I have, being a lawyer, read the policy terms. I would have a go, obviously, but insurance companies are fairly good at relying on their policy terms to not pay out.

That said, Air New Zealand have said that they'll refund people who can't travel due to travel restrictions, so if things get bad we can recover that bit at least, hopefully. Although I expect that ANZ will be in a fairly shit state in a week or two so who knows how much they'll be able to stand behind that.
The other concern is that the UK gets added to the travel restriction list here so we might not be able to come back to the UK ...
MrChris wrote:
The other concern is that the UK gets added to the travel restriction list here so we might not be able to come back to the UK ...

Well that sucks...
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Trooper wrote:

Time to sourdough!

Looking online it looks like I just need flour, water and time, right?
Page 4 of 48 [ 2357 posts ]