Game Raccoon - I invented a mega drive sd cart cartridge
Reply
https://www.mrdictionary.net/gameraccoon/

Image

Over the last three months I've been working on a rewritable SD card compatible cartridge for the Mega Drive, because, well, why not!

There's two pages on the Game Raccoon website:

- in the Technical Report I describe the workings of the finished Revision 0 and what it can and cannot do. It's all very staid and only describes the final cart.

- in Matt's Chronoblogical Misadventures in Game Raccoon Land I've blogified the last three months, and taken pictures of every note, sketch, design, layout and prototype so you can see how I took some paper and a mechanical pencil and ended up with my own awesome looking cartridge. :D
Impressive stuff. :)

If you ever need any little bits of MD hardware to help with testing, I've got plenty of spare bits and pieces and I send your way.
Oh wow, that's really cool!

Solid work.
Yeah, that’s great going!
That's awesome. I've only briefly looked at the site but would it be able to play ROM images?
Thanks folks :)

TheVision wrote:
That's awesome. I've only briefly looked at the site but would it be able to play ROM images?

You really did look only briefly, didn't you? :p

Quote:
What software can I use on my Game Raccoon?

My own YM2612 Instrument Editor with graphics by Aly James allows you to explore the sounds the Mega Drive's YM2612 sound chip is capable of producing.

Over fifty homebrew Sega Mega Drive games are listed on Sega Retro, with many of them being offered as free downloads. Of course, any original Mega Drive games you purchase from sites such as itch.io that require a Mega Drive emulator ought to work. More new games for the Mega Drive / Genesis are being released every month, these are tracked on release sites such as pdroms.de.

There are many demo productions (free running animations showing novel video and audio effects) such as Overdrive by TiTAN.

The retail games Zero Tolerance by Technopop (as well as a prototype of the sequel), and Wiz 'n' Liz: The Frantic Wabbit Rescue are offered free to download from their original authors.

On the Steam Workshop page for Sega's own 'SEGA Mega Drive & Genesis Classics', over 2,474 items are available for download at the time of writing. You can find your purchased Workshop mods in X:\Games\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\34270\; these files should be Raccoon-compatible.
devilman wrote:
Impressive stuff. :)

If you ever need any little bits of MD hardware to help with testing, I've got plenty of spare bits and pieces and I send your way.


Don’t suppose you have a controller? I recently acquired a mega drive and mega cd but can’t test it without a pad.
I can heartily recommend these if you want a brand new one.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
devilman wrote:
Impressive stuff. :)

If you ever need any little bits of MD hardware to help with testing, I've got plenty of spare bits and pieces and I send your way.


Don’t suppose you have a controller? I recently acquired a mega drive and mega cd but can’t test it without a pad.


Attachment:
IMG_20200210_214806.jpg


I think I can arrange that :) If you've not already bought the new one recommended by TheVision, just PM me your address and I'll get one tested and popped in the post to you.
Holy moly. That's a lotta plastic ! :D

Do you have any 6-button compatible pads? I only have a 3-button pad.
Will this one do? Just tested it and it works fine. :)

Attachment:
IMG_20200210_221521.jpg
devilman wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
devilman wrote:
Impressive stuff. :)

If you ever need any little bits of MD hardware to help with testing, I've got plenty of spare bits and pieces and I send your way.


Don’t suppose you have a controller? I recently acquired a mega drive and mega cd but can’t test it without a pad.


Attachment:
IMG_20200210_214806.jpg


I think I can arrange that :) If you've not already bought the new one recommended by TheVision, just PM me your address and I'll get one tested and popped in the post to you.


Excellent, ta.
Thank you very much Devilman! :D arrived this morning. It's going to come in very handy for testing the next revision of GR as well as testing the Ocelot system.
Glad to be of help :)
devilman wrote:
Will this one do? Just tested it and it works fine. :)

Attachment:
IMG_20200210_221521.jpg


What does the 'auto' setting do?
https://segaretro.org/SG-18

According to this photo of the back of the box, TURBO is for autofire while the button is held down, AUTO is for autofire 'hands free'.

Image
Great work mr D

I don’t suppose you’re going to mass produces them?
MrD wrote:
Thank you very much Devilman! :D arrived this morning. It's going to come in very handy for testing the next revision of GR as well as testing the Ocelot system.


Yep, this. Thanks Devilman.
romanista wrote:
Great work mr D

I don’t suppose you’re going to mass produces them?

Probably not ^_^; the component cost for one of these guys comes to something like $18-$25. There's no way I could get it that much cheaper than Everdrives and so on, and those carts support savegames and mappers and things. (My cart won't ever play Pier Solar or Super Street Fighter II The New Challengers since they're too big.) I don't know how much cart shells cost. It would probably be easier for me to buy fifty or a hundred 'replacement cart shells' from some retro shop, put GRs inside them and that's that (except for the SD card slot...).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do when I get the cart working. It's more of a portfolio piece than anything. I was thinking of putting it all under agpl3 license so anybody can do what they want with it as long as they give out the source. I'm not too fussed about chinese clones, since these things already exist, and considering I'm getting it made in China that horse has already bolted.

When they're finished I'll see how much everything would be.
Image
Doesn't go below £22.40 (which makes sense since that's pretty much the component cost of one cart modified by PCBWAY's markup). Way too much to be messing around - if someone's making them it won't be me.
Page 1 of 1 [ 20 posts ]