Vacuum cleaners
Recommend me do
Reply
Thrilling I know.

We are off to John Lewis shortly to purchase a new vacuum cleaner.

Basically, do you love your vacuum cleaner enough to recommend to an internet stranger? If so, tell me whatcha got.
My ma has one of those cordless upright Dyson stick thingies and it’s made her life so much better as she can now vacuum the stairs which she always struggled with due to her physical disabilities.
Mimi wrote:
My ma has one of those cordless upright Dyson stick thingies and it’s made her life so much better as she can now vacuum the stairs which she always struggled with due to her physical disabilities.


Quite fancy one of those. No issues with lack of suction or running out of charge super fast?
No, and she has a three storey house with four bedrooms and can do the whole house (not sure if that includes my brother and BIL’s rooms or not, mind).
Miele blizzard CX1 dog and cat. It is oh so quiet. Seems well made.
We have a house with three storeys, 100% wooden floors, and a dog. So we are quite demanding of vacuum cleaners.

After research, we reluctantly concluded the Dyson was the best (I’d really rather not give the Brexity prick any money) and we got a V10. And it’s amazing, to my joy/annoyance. We can do the whole house in half the time and a quarter of the effort compared to our massive old wired one.
I have a gtech air ram dog hair thingy, it's good.

They quite often do a deal on the one that comes with the upright and the portable, so I bought that and flogged the portable on eBay, which made it £150 in the end.
Shark. Better than Dyson in our experience.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
After research

...which means I read Which?. The Dyson was highest performing for hard floors. There’s a similar Bosch model that was better for carpet, though.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
After research

...which means I read Which?. The Dyson was highest performing for hard floors. There’s a similar Bosch model that was better for carpet, though.


Thanks all. Looks like we may be heading towards the Dyson animal v10. We are largely carpet, don't suppose you remember the bosch model you referenced, Doc?
I have a Bosch Animal one. Quite happy with it overall.
Findus Fop wrote:
We are largely carpet, don't suppose you remember the bosch model you referenced, Doc?
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
We are largely carpet, don't suppose you remember the bosch model you referenced, Doc?


Nice, thank you! We have decided on the v10 animal. Excited (about a hoover)
[runs in]

:huff: :huff:

Get a 360!

...

Am I too late?
Grim... wrote:
[runs in]

:huff: :huff:

Get a 360!

...

Am I too late?

:D
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
We have a house with three storeys, 100% wooden floors, and a dog. So we are quite demanding of vacuum cleaners.


Doesn't the wooden flooring make it easier to pick up dirt compared to carpet?
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
We have a house with three storeys, 100% wooden floors, and a dog. So we are quite demanding of vacuum cleaners.


Doesn't the wooden flooring make it easier to pick up dirt compared to carpet?


In my experience, it does, kinda, as the vacuum (or broom/sweeper) can glide around fairly quickly and easily for cleaning up. However, the fur/dust is really clearly visible on hard floors so the cleaning has to be done regularly or it will look pretty bad, and 'dust bunnies; will form quite quickly. Carpet hides a lot.

We have laminate in the kitchen/dining and carpet elsewhere, and in the flat we had wood floors everywhere and warm air ducted heating, which seemed to move a lot of dust around. However now we have 3 kids and 3 pets the house is basically trashed, and it takes a lot of effort to keep it looking even at this level of shabby.

FWIW I use a corded dyson upright to vacuum the house, hard floors too. Then I use a steam mop on the hard floor. We also bought one of those carpet cleaning machines which does an OK job. I'm always fascinated and somewhat appalled by the colour of the water in the dirty-tank.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
In my experience, it does, kinda, as the vacuum (or broom/sweeper) can glide around fairly quickly and easily for cleaning up. However, the fur/dust is really clearly visible on hard floors so the cleaning has to be done regularly or it will look pretty bad, and 'dust bunnies; will form quite quickly. Carpet hides a lot.

All of this.
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:
In my experience, it does, kinda, as the vacuum (or broom/sweeper) can glide around fairly quickly and easily for cleaning up. However, the fur/dust is really clearly visible on hard floors so the cleaning has to be done regularly or it will look pretty bad, and 'dust bunnies; will form quite quickly. Carpet hides a lot.

All of this.

The rest is lies.
There can be only one.

His name is Henry.
I have the Dyson V8 Absolute, it is a great piece of kit.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
We have a house with three storeys, 100% wooden floors, and a dog. So we are quite demanding of vacuum cleaners.
Doesn't the wooden flooring make it easier to pick up dirt compared to carpet?

Also, further to the above: "demanding" isn't just of vacuuming performance, it also means "fuck me, it makes a big difference to have one that's lighter." Our old Dyson upright weighs getting on for ten kilos. The new cordless one is about a quarter of that. And although we have three stories, we have six flights of stairs; the rearmost part of the house is built on an offset floor level so each set of stairs goes up for 10 or so steps, has a small landing with a room off it, then turns 180 degrees and goes up four more. Not having to tote the upright up and down those is really nice. Especially when you ideally want to be vacuuming the house multiple times a week to keep the dog glitter under control (I'm not going to lie and say I always manage that.)
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
We have a house with three storeys, 100% wooden floors, and a dog. So we are quite demanding of vacuum cleaners.
Doesn't the wooden flooring make it easier to pick up dirt compared to carpet?

Also, further to the above: "demanding" isn't just of vacuuming performance, it also means "fuck me, it makes a big difference to have one that's lighter." Our old Dyson upright weighs getting on for ten kilos. The new cordless one is about a quarter of that. And although we have three stories, we have six flights of stairs; the rearmost part of the house is built on an offset floor level so each set of stairs goes up for 10 or so steps, has a small landing with a room off it, then turns 180 degrees and goes up four more. Not having to tote the upright up and down those is really nice. Especially when you ideally want to be vacuuming the house multiple times a week to keep the dog glitter under control (I'm not going to lie and say I always manage that.)

Lol at dog glitter. Duke is losing his winter coat at the moment and it’s like furmegeddon in our house. I might get one of them V10s. Couple of questions, because I’ve used a previous model a client has. Is the grip large enough for my large hands? Hers felt quite small to me. And, also hers got very hot after a few minutes use, as in the battery felt hot, not warm, hot. Would I be right in assuming her battery is fucked?
DBSnappa wrote:
Couple of questions, because I’ve used a previous model a client has. Is the grip large enough for my large hands? Hers felt quite small to me.
Erm, good question. I've never given it any thought. I'll have a look at it tonight.

Quote:
And, also hers got very hot after a few minutes use, as in the battery felt hot, not warm, hot. Would I be right in assuming her battery is fucked?

No, I don't think so. Fucked Li-Ion batteries that get hot because they are fucked can only be fucked in the way that then means they catch fire and that's an exciting day out for all involved.

Ours has three power settings. We do the floors on 1 and it's ample; run time is a bit over an hour. We use 2 for some stuff, like upholstery. "Max" reduces the runtime to less than 10 minutes, makes an unholy racket, and seems to be overkill for anything except for very heavily soiled carpets or similar. That gets the battery really warm -- rapid discharge of lithium cells does that. It's by design. So at a guess: the one you've used was set to "max"?
Hmmm, it’s a possibility re: the settings. I didn’t study it.
Our Dyson v6 is ace. We have a perfectly good Henry too, which is why we went for the ‘cheaper’ Dyson option. Both are very good at hoovering, but the Dyson is so light and portable that it is simplicity itself to vacuum.
In a bizarre twist of fate / alliance of planets / etc I now have another Henry that cost zilch!

Saw a rather sad one outside the new building that I assumed was broken and asked the receptionist if I could have it to try and repair and low and behold he was just caked up inside and actually is in full working order!

Attachment:
BD0A43DC-CF99-4AA5-97CF-10DD5D415A41.jpeg


Attachment:
DFA09758-DB85-4517-881F-8443035E63CD.jpeg


:metul:
Henry’s are irrepressible!
Something in my mind prevents me from ever spending over 400 quid on a vacuum cleaner. I’ve never spent over £100 and I’ve never been disappointed with suboptimal sucking.

Title etc.
If you spend over £400 on a vacuum cleaner then you’re the sucker.
£399! In your face, Henry.
Satsuma wrote:
Something in my mind prevents me from ever spending over 400 quid on a vacuum cleaner. I’ve never spent over £100 and I’ve never been disappointed with suboptimal sucking.

If you think that’s idiot money for a vacuum cleaner, I’ve got a pair of ovens that’d blow your mind. Not to mention restaurant bills.
I found two ovens and a bigger restaurant bill outside work and all they needed was a good clean.
News just in, different things cost different amounts, more when we have it. Over to mop for the sports. How are the Mets doing mop?
That Henry looks so happy to have been rescued :)
Trooper wrote:
News just in, different things cost different amounts, more when we have it. Over to mop for the sports. How are the Mets doing mop?

Fuck the Mets
Thanks Mop!

Coming up after this: are your shoes making you impotent?
Just extracted a live mouse from our vacuum. The cats had obviously brought it in, let it go, at which point it found a hiding place.
We just bought a new Hoover. Literally. It's a Hoover Vortex. It cost £50 and it sucks like a fresher on £1 a pint night.
Trooper wrote:
I have a gtech air ram dog hair thingy, it's good.

They quite often do a deal on the one that comes with the upright and the portable, so I bought that and flogged the portable on eBay, which made it £150 in the end.

Same, except we didn't flog the portable. We did have a problem with the handle locking in the upright position, but they sent a replacement, free of charge, no questions asked. It IS very light, but does have a tendency to grind to a halt if anything puts too much strain on it, e.g catching the corner of a rug in it, but I guess that's to stop it doing serious damage, and it resets easily enough. Feels a it flimsy to me, but then I'm not the main user and Mrs. W likes it, which is the main thing.
Page 1 of 1 [ 41 posts ]