Musical disappointment - albums that turned out to be crap
Or just disappointing
What albums did you buy, maybe on the strength of one track, one single, or for any other reason, that turned out to be rubbish, or at least a disappointment.

I'll start:

The Darkness - One Way Ticket To Hell and Back. The difficult 2nd album. Short, and poor quality songs.

Jaime Woon - Making Time. Requested as a pressie because I liked the Sharpness video. Just didn't live up to expectations.

Sting - 57th and 9th. Like his much earlier stuff, but not as good.

The Doors - The Best Of.... I don't know where I got this, but it's on my iPod. I played it for the first time yesterday. I hadn't realised how bad they were. Amateur musicianship, particularly keyboards, and mostly unengaging songs. I think that at the time, the hippies were stoned and buying into the lhype and the girls were wetting themselves over Jim Morrison.

Robbie Robertson - Storyville. His first solo album was genius. I still play it regularly. This one was pants.
Well, the obvious choice would be Celtic Frost - Cold Lake. Infamously awful in metul circles.
Zardoz wrote:

It may be bad, but there's no 'arm in it.
I only heard the first Robbie Robertson album because a friend lent me a tape with Enya's 'Watermark' on it, because he really rated it, and Robbie was on the other side of the tape. Listening to Enya mostly made me want to give her a slap, but I liked Robbie so much that I bought the CD.
Babylon Zoo : The Boy with the X-Ray Eyes

Spaceman from the Levi's advert seemed quite good, so I bought the album.
Not only was the rest of the album utter trash, so was the rest of the "spaceman" track that wasn't actually the 20 seconds from the advert!
Whereas 'Heart attack and vine' by Screamin Jay Hawkins, which was also used by Levi's, is a great song.

I'm amused by the current ad for some geezer fragrance that uses about two seconds of King Crimson's '21st Century Schitzoid Man.' I bet Bob Fripp's bemused by that as well.
Warhead wrote:
Whereas 'Heart attack and vine' by Screamin Jay Hawkins, which was also used by Levi's, is a great song.

Bah! Coversong. Tom Waits is supreme.
Trooper wrote:

Not only was the rest of the album utter trash, so was the rest of the "spaceman" track that wasn't actually the 20 seconds from the advert!

The Spaceman single had a five minute remix of the "good bits".

Pearl Jam's Vitalogy. It's a raucous mess of an album. There is a good album in there, just finding it is hard.

Anything Oasis did after Definitely Maybe.
(What’s the Story) Morning Glory is better than Definitely Maybe. Be Here Now was the death knell of Britpop it was so bad.
I've listened to Be here now only recently thinking "maybe it wasn't that bad?"

It was. Absolutely terrible.
Deicide - Once Upon The Cross was a bit of a disappointment after the feral self-titled and Legion. The energy was lost.

Also this travesty

Dimrill wrote:
Warhead wrote:

Bah! Coversong. Tom Waits is supreme.

I find it a little too smooth and well produced. Screaming Jay's sounds sleazier and grittier to me. But then I'd never heard Tom's version until yesterday.
Everything by Metallica after the black album.
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

I still haven't got through 'Hardwired.. ' .. it's just so dull. (I do like 'Load' though and 'Death Magnetic' to a lesser extent)

Other albums - when I used to work in a warehouse with Radio 1 playing all day, I'd very occasionally hear something I like and then go and buy the album and be disappointed. Stuff like Hurricane #1 and Strangelove.
devilman wrote:
Dr Zoidberg wrote:

I still haven't got through 'Hardwired.. ' .. it's just so dull. (I do like 'Load' though and 'Death Magnetic' to a lesser extent)

Other albums - when I used to work in a warehouse with Radio 1 playing all day, I'd very occasionally hear something I like and then go and buy the album and be disappointed. Stuff like Hurricane #1 and Strangelove.

There’s a decent album to be made out of Load and Reload if you get rid of all the tat.
There's a few albums that I bought, not long after I got my first CD player, after hearing a single or seeing a video on MTv, The Box or even VH1.

Dog Eat Dog, All Boro Kings ('special edition'). The CD stood out as the case was a matte green with print on it, rather than transparent with an insert. The video for 'No fronts' seemed kinda cool with the skating and the things and people having a good time. The version on the album I bought was different, and I didn't care much for any of the other tracks, and nor can I remember them :facepalm:

BONUS ANECDOTE my friend Brendan asked me to put it onto a tape for him (which I did, obv) and the other side of the tape had the Foo Fighters album on it, which I knew nothing about at all. That first listen blew me away at the time (so I copied that onto another tape that I could keep). Oh, and periodically I'd stop the recording I was making for Brendan and plug the stereo into my Amiga to record the Say program reading out rude things I'd typed about him. LOL MAD BANTZ.

Soul Asylum, Grave Dancers Union. There was that sad song with about the runaway train and the haunting video interspersed with the pictures of missing people that was on TV a lot. I can't remember much else about this album.

Spin Doctors, Pocket Full of Kryptonite. There was that fun song about the Two Princes and something about your mother being a pyjama. I can't remember much else about this album.

Presidents of the USA. There were those two fun songs about peaches and lump, but the rest seemed a bit annoying, something about a stupid cat and a dune buggy and I can't remember much else about this album. Oh wait, the insert had picture of the band in face paint pulling silly faces.

Mr Chonks wrote:
(What’s the Story) Morning Glory is better than Definitely Maybe. Be Here Now was the death knell of Britpop it was so bad.

I didn't mind bits of Be Here Now. I think the albums that came after it were far worse, although there were one or two catchy singles. I at least remember some bits of Be Here Now.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Presidents of the USA. There were those two fun songs about peaches and lump, but the rest seemed a bit annoying, something about a stupid cat and a dune buggy and I can't remember much else about this album. Oh wait, the insert had picture of the band in face paint pulling silly faces.

I'm filing for a divorce.
Sir Taxalot wrote:
Spin Doctors, Pocket Full of Kryptonite. There was that fun song about the Two Princes and something about your mother being a pyjama. I can't remember much else about this album.

Me too Dimrill... Me too.
The first Prez album, while not quite hitting the heights of their second, is an absolute classic.

I agree about the Spin Doctors though. Apart from the excellent Two Princes and Jimmy Olsen’s Blues, the rest of the album is self-indulgent noodly funk nonsense.
Mr Chonks wrote:
The first Prez album, while not quite hitting the heights of their second, is an absolute classic.

I agree about the Spin Doctors though. Apart from the excellent Two Princes and Jimmy Olsen’s Blues, the rest of the album is self-indulgent noodly funk nonsense.

My brother was heavily into them at the time and if you think the studio album was bad, the live album, Homebelly Groove, was much much worse.
Mr Chonks wrote:

Self indulgent noodly funk nonsense is the title of your sex tape.
Dimrill wrote:
Sir Taxalot wrote:

I'm filing for a divorce.

Who can dislike a song about a spider driving a dune buggy?!
OK Computer by Radiohead

I'd loved The Bends, it soundtracked a fairly heady teenage summer.

I loved Paranoid Android. Let Down is one of their best songs.

But the album as a whole, I couldn't love, the good songs felt hidden. It felt like an album people were claiming to love when actually, secretly, they'd much rather listen to the Bends.

I should go back to it. I've loved later albums such as In Rainbows and I think a distance of 22 years is enough time to reappraise it.
Well that’s an unpopular opinion. It’s regarded by most as their GOAT.

They’re wrong though, because that’s Kid A
Longhena by Gridlink.

Odd, really - it should be the perfect record. It's by members of Discordance Axis, Mortalized and PLF, it's about Dodonpachi (sort of) and it was supposed to be the swansong of someone whose career and writings have shaped my own life in no small part.

But it's sterile, lyrically unimaginative and not fast enough. The initial concept was for the record to tell a story of a failed relationship through the metaphor of a scorched earth left behind by the sort of sustained bombing campaign you see in bullet hell games, but it just sort of ended up being a bit whiny. The art was originally meant to be a pixel-art vista of a ruined landscape, but ended up being pictures of a Serbian fetish model in a PVC plugsuit. And the band all hated each other by the time it came to recording the album, meaning it just sounds a bit flat.

And it wasn't any sort of last hurrah, because there's a new Discordance Axis record, sort of. Just a huge disappointment.

At least it was better than that last Deafheaven record, though.
Nothing wrong with the latest Deafheaven. I mean, it doesn’t hit the heights of Sunbather or New Bermuda, but what could?
It just wasn't what I wanted, you know? I've got plenty of mid-tier shoegaze - what I like about Deafheaven is that barely-controlled chaos they bring. Title track of Sunbather, for instance - absolutely beautiful, but it sounds as if they're just sort of hanging on to the song while it speeds off to god-knows-where. There aren't many bands who can do that.

The Black Brick single they dropped this year was exceptional, so I'm confident they've still got it. I just thought OCHL went a bit too far off in the 'hey guys, we know Chelsea Wolfe!' direction.
I'm going to retry some of these albums at work, tomorrow and see if my opinion had changed at all.
This thread inspired me to listen to some stuff by The Spin Doctors. I loved them when I was younger, and they still have some cracking tracks spread across several albums (though I concur they also do a lot of wanky noodling and odd stuff that doesn’t always work). Much fun revisiting them!
I am going to listen to Deafhaven.
Grim... wrote:
Trooper wrote:

The Spaceman single had a five minute remix of the "good bits".

I've finally got round to listening to this.

It's still not very good.
I'm not sure what you were expecting :D
Now you mention it, neither was I.

I'll stick with the Spin Doctors I think.
Grim... wrote:

If you like the fusion of shoegaze and black metal, you’ll love it!
TheVision wrote:

Spin Doctors: Top Ten Tracks

10 - Cleopatra’s Cat
9 - I Can’t Believe You’re Still With Her
8 - Laraby’s Gang
7 - Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong
6 - She Used To Be Mine
5 - How Could You Want Him (When You Know You Could Have Me)?
4 - Indifference
3 - Jimmy Olsen’s Blues
2 - 2 Princes
1 - You Let Your Heart Go Too Fast
Curiosity wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Welcome to the latest edition of Words You Never Expected to See.
Findus Fop wrote:
Curiosity wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Welcome to the latest edition of Words You Never Expected to See.

:DD
Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong is the track I remembered after I made my post concerning them. It’s their third best and rounds out their three good songs.
Curiosity wrote:
TheVision wrote:

10 - Cleopatra’s Cat
9 - I Can’t Believe You’re Still With Her
8 - Laraby’s Gang
7 - Little Miss Can’t Be Wrong
6 - She Used To Be Mine
5 - How Could You Want Him (When You Know You Could Have Me)?
4 - Indifference
3 - Jimmy Olsen’s Blues
2 - 2 Princes
1 - You Let Your Heart Go Too Fast

Nice. Nothing from 'Here comes the bride' though? ;)

Seriously though, they're one of my favourite bands so I don't know what Sir Taxalot is on about.
Mr Chonks wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I thought the first three songs on the album were a bit samey and then realised it's all one song that stops for a bit and then carries on :D
Grim... wrote:
Mr Chonks wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I thought the first three songs on the album were a bit samey and then realised it's all one song that stops for a bit and then carries on :D

How were the gay shoes?
Mr Chonks wrote:
Grim... wrote:

I liked that!

I think the last track was the best.
The vocal is really quite on all of them though. I mean, I wouldn't understand it anyway, so I guess that's okay.
Sunbather is regarded as the best, but I have a really soft spot for New Bermuda. Come Back is my favourite song.

https://open.spotify.com/track/5IlMoKCS ... JfSFNkOMDw
Page 1 of 2 [ 82 posts ]