Smart Speakers - Google Home
Reply
I got one of the free google home minis with spotify. I have been using it for a while, and love how I can control hive and listen to my pod casts. etc

I have been looking at the google home about £55 from CEX, are they worth the step up from the mini, is it just a bigger speaker?

I have noticed LG and Sony also go a google assist version, how do they compare to the google home.
Just better sound quality I think.

I did the same and got the free mini from spotify. So far I use it as a timer for cooking, to cast podcasts to, and to tell me the weather and if my commute is fucked up as I get my breakfast.
It's convenient, but I could definitely live without it :D
also its jokes are terrible :)
They are great for adding baked beans to shopping lists and telling children off in different parts of the house.
My mother cooks for any number of people over a three storey house, so she uses it to announce that dinner is ready :D
I can get one for Mini Kov's room, he uses it mainly for finding drop points on Fortnite :)
Trooper wrote:
Just better sound quality I think.

You are correct. The software is the same.

Trooper wrote:
So far I use it as a timer for cooking

You'll be pleased to hear you can now just say "stop" to silence an alarm, without having to "OK Google" it first.

Mr Chonks wrote:
They are great for adding baked beans to shopping lists

The shopping list is pretty much universally-hated. There's not even a companion app! Fucking idiots.

Mr Chonks wrote:
telling children off in different parts of the house.

Again, it's not great for that either, because you can't specify where things are announced. It comes out of every Google Home you have (but, rubbishly, not your Chromecast Audio devices).

Protip for new users! Go into the app, find the accessibility options and turn on the noise when it starts to listen, it's a far nicer experience.
Protip #2! If you use the right accent you can activate it with "hey girl".
Protip #3! If you don't like your Mini's shitty sound quality you can pair it with a bluetooth speaker.
Oooooh!

Stop for stopping alarm, super useful thanks.
Listen sound, again, super useful.
Pairing with a bluetooth speaker. Interesting, hadn't considered that, I think I have an old BOSE one kicking around, I shall experiment.

Thanks dude!
I have just turned on my listen sound... cheers
Sorry, I was talking about voluntary surveillance devices in general.
Educate me, does audio cast from your phone get classed as music when it comes to playback on google home?
I see that I can set a bluetooth speaker to be used for music, but is that only direct from the mini?

i.e. I cast my podcasts from my phone to the mini, I want that to come out the bluetooth speaker, will it?

I could try it myself, but that involves leaving the house to go buy a power supply, as i've lost the one for my bluetooth speaker.
You're all fools. All your data are belong to them.
Trooper wrote:
Educate me, does audio cast from your phone get classed as music when it comes to playback on google home?
I see that I can set a bluetooth speaker to be used for music, but is that only direct from the mini?

i.e. I cast my podcasts from my phone to the mini, I want that to come out the bluetooth speaker, will it?

I could try it myself, but that involves leaving the house to go buy a power supply, as i've lost the one for my bluetooth speaker.


The answer to this is yes, casting to the mini gets treated as music and comes out the bluetooth speaker.
Grim... wrote:

Mr Chonks wrote:
telling children off in different parts of the house.

Again, it's not great for that either, because you can't specify where things are announced. It comes out of every Google Home you have.

I thought you could? I'm pretty sure we use it to "broadcast kitchen" etc. But I'll get Joans to clarify as I haven't used the feature for ages.
Goddess Jasmine wrote:
Grim... wrote:

Mr Chonks wrote:
telling children off in different parts of the house.

Again, it's not great for that either, because you can't specify where things are announced. It comes out of every Google Home you have.

I thought you could? I'm pretty sure we use it to "broadcast kitchen" etc. But I'll get Joans to clarify as I haven't used the feature for ages.

Me neither, sorry. Although I thought you had to say "broadcast message..."?
Can you change ‘hi google’ to something else?
KovacsC wrote:
Can you change ‘hi google’ to something else?

Yes you can change it to “ok google”
I have both those.

Shall I take that as a no...
You can say "hey google"
Depending on your accent and tone, you can say "cocaine noodle"
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Depending on your accent and tone, you can say "cocaine noodle"

When I was on Android I said all sorts of things like “flokay boodle” and it worked.
Mr Chonks wrote:
When I was on Android I said all sorts of things like “flokay boodle” and it worked.

Sure. It's just fuzzy phoneme matching.
Siri seems to activate whenever I say anything though. Like it just wants to be involved all the time.
Mr Chonks wrote:
Siri seems to activate whenever I say anything though. Like it just wants to be involved all the time.

Mop And Siri, sitting in a tree...
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Depending on your accent and tone, you can say "cocaine noodle"

"Hey gurrrl".
Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Depending on your accent and tone, you can say "cocaine noodle"

"Hey gurrrl".


Yup that works.

Also found you can control the volume of Spotify by using the volume controls on your phone.
KovacsC wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Depending on your accent and tone, you can say "cocaine noodle"

"Hey gurrrl".


Yup that works.

Also found you can control the volume of Spotify by using the volume controls on your phone.


I found the same thing, on calls you can move the phone further from your ear
MaliA wrote:
KovacsC wrote:
Grim... wrote:
Doctor Glyndwr wrote:
Depending on your accent and tone, you can say "cocaine noodle"

"Hey gurrrl".


Yup that works.

Also found you can control the volume of Spotify by using the volume controls on your phone.


I found the same thing, on calls you can move the phone further from your ear


I meant the smart speaker.... oh wait. You doing a funny?
Mr Chonks wrote:
Siri seems to activate whenever I say anything though. Like it just wants to be involved all the time.


There is a Sarah in my team (two, in fact) and whenever I answer the phone with a cheery 'Hi, Sarah' the ipad starts babbling away.
Page 1 of 1 [ 29 posts ]