Bald Actors from the old times

Without Googling, do you know who Yul Brynner and Telly Salvas are?
Poll ended at Thu Apr 25, 2019 23:21
I don't know either person  12%  [ 3 ]
I know who Yul Brynner is, but not Telly Savalas  0%  [ 0 ]
I know who Telly Savalas is, but not Yul Brynner  8%  [ 2 ]
I know who both of them are  80%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 25
My wife was having a conversation with a couple of friends, and we ended up talking about bald people and the names Yul Brynner and Telly Savalas came up, but our friends were ignorant of them both. Now they are a bit younger than me, born in the early 80s.

I was really surprised, but I wondered if it is just an age thing, most people here are also slightly younger than me, do you guys know who they are (without googling)?
Yes, but then i'm slightly older than you, I think.
I've heard of them, but I wouldn't know that they're bald.
Natch. In fact I almost shot Zardoz when I first met him.
The king and I know who both of them are. Who loves ya, baby?
Considering the resurgence of Westworld I'm surprised of folks not being aware of Yul Brynner
Cras wrote:
Considering the resurgence of Westworld I'm surprised of folks not being aware of Yul Brynner

That was partly my thinking
That's me not knowing. Mid 80s. I've heard the name Yul Brynner but don't know who is and didn't know that's how it's spelled.
Post Google, still none the wiser.
I know Telly Savalas but strangely enough, I think that's mainly from 'Willy the Kid' books when I was a kid.
I went for I know neither.

I'd heard of the name Yul Brenner, but I thought he was a famous chess player or bridge player or something.
For the longest time I thought that Yul Brynner and Telly Savalas were completely bald because of something actually wrong with their heads. Shocked to learn they were just regular baldies who had shaved the rest off.
I'm younger than Malc and I know who both of them are. I am a pop culture sponge though
Knew them both well as actors. Knew neither were completely bald as well and have seen early films of both of theirs when they had hair.
I know them personally.

Also Vin Diesel and the Kinder Egg man.
Never see you guys in the same room...
Mr Dave wrote:

I'd heard of the name Yul Brenner, but I thought he was a famous chess player or bridge player or something.

Could be Omar Sharif you're thinking of.

I'd heard of both Yul Brynner and Telly Savalas but until fairly recently, I'd not seen anything they were in till I watched Westworld a few years back.
Mr Dave wrote:

Hi name is mentioned in 'One night in Bangkok' from the musical 'Chess'.

That would be it. I typically avoid musicals, and that one I've successfully avoided too the extent I've never heard of it.
Grim... wrote:
I've heard of them, but I wouldn't know that they're bald.

:this:
I grew up seeing them both on the telly.

Sometimes when I speak about my childhood it sounds like I was born just after world war two, not my mother. I think we must have just been trapped in that era. :shrug:
Zardoz wrote:
Mr Dave wrote:

Hi name is mentioned in 'One night in Bangkok' from the musical 'Chess'.

A shitty along from a shitty musical....... I also avoid musicals.

And poetry.

Unless it's rude or funny.
‘Chess’ is an excellent musical, tbf.
All musical's are shit (as is opera and ballet), the concept is utter madness and I have no truck with it. I feel embarrassed to watch them. Films with some songs are sometimes OK, e.g. Hard Day's Night
Warhead wrote:
All musical's are shit

You don’t like Blues Brothers?
You look like youse could use a Mary Poppins. A man who doesn't watch Mary Poppins is not a whole man. Why do you not have Mary Poppins in your hand?
Mimi wrote:
Warhead wrote:
All musical's are shit

You don’t like Blues Brothers?

No, it was shit.
Dimrill wrote:
You look like youse could use a Mary Poppins. A man who doesn't watch Mary Poppins is not a whole man. Why do you not have Mary Poppins in your hand?

That's a film with some songs in it. Not bad. I saw the new one at the kino a couple of weeks ago with my granddaughter.

Edit. But it should have still been Julie Andrews. That new tart was all wrong for it. And Michael Banks needed chinning, the wimp.
SCHTEP IN TOIME

SCHTEP IN TOIME

SCHTEP IN TOIME
Warhead wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

That's a film with some songs in it. Not bad. I saw the new one at the kino a couple of weeks ago with my granddaughter.

Edit. But it should have still been Julie Andrews. That new tart was all wrong for it. And Michael Banks needed chinning, the wimp.

Mary Poppins is definitely a musical.
Banned? What? For posting SCHTEP IN TOIME three times?

Harsh.
DavPaz wrote:
Warhead wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Yeah, that’s 100% a musical. Chimeny sweeps don’t all spontaneously step in tune outside of a musical. Anymore.
Mimi wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Warhead wrote:
Dimrill wrote:

Yeah, that’s 100% a musical. Chimeny sweeps don’t all spontaneously step in tune outside of a musical. Anymore.

There's a cut off point for me between musicals and films with songs in them. I just haven't been able to define it beyond 'that was shit' and 'that film had some quite good songs in it, and not too many to spoil it.'
CHUPPENSCH A BAAARG

CHUPPENSCH A BAAARG

CHUPPENSCH A BAAARG
Sounds like you mostly just don’t like songs.
Maybe he doesn't, but I do. I have a large collection of them, many of which are very enjoyable.

Even the ones with lyrics that make no sense at all (e.g. about 75% of what Jon Anderson wrote with Yes).
Perhaps I was scarred by being taken to see '7 Brides for 7 Brothers' and 'Tommy the Torriador' at the pictures when I was rather young.
Warhead wrote:
There's a cut off point for me between musicals and films with songs in them. I just haven't been able to define it beyond 'that was shit' and 'that film had some quite good songs in it, and not too many to spoil it.'

Musicals are films that have songs about things happening in the film, like Mary Poppins, Little Shop of Horrors or The Greatest Showman. Films with songs are just films with characters singing songs that have a "normal" explanation, like Sister Act, Pitch Perfect or American Pie.
So IS Blues Brothers a musical, by that standard? (I’ve not actually seen it, and I know they are singers, but do they only sing the songs as part of performances/practice and do the songs advance the plot? I genuinely can’t remember if you usually say it’s a musical or not :D
Yes, because of the song "Think", which is Aretha Franklin telling Matt "Guitar" Murphy to think about things when the Blues Brothers ask him to rejion the band.

Also there is a bit of magic music going on when people are dancing outside Ray's Music Exchange.

You should watch it.
Warhead wrote:
All musical's are shit (as is opera and ballet), the concept is utter madness and I have no truck with it. I feel embarrassed to watch them. Films with some songs are sometimes OK, e.g. Hard Day's Night

I think you're wrong there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlmzUEQxOvA
Warhead wrote:

Anyone who cannot enjoy the celluloid sunshine that is "Singin' in the Rain" is beyond hope.
I'm not sure American Pie was in Grimothy's list. There's no singing in it
Mimi wrote:
So IS Blues Brothers a musical, by that standard? (I’ve not actually seen it, and I know they are singers, but do they only sing the songs as part of performances/practice and do the songs advance the plot? I genuinely can’t remember if you usually say it’s a musical or not :D

No, blues brothers is a film with songs in it, we established that as categorically a fact a long time ago.
Grim... wrote:
Yes, because of the song "Think", which is Aretha Franklin telling Matt "Guitar" Murphy to think about things when the Blues Brothers ask him to rejion the band.

Also there is a bit of magic music going on when people are dancing outside Ray's Music Exchange.

You should watch it.

I did try to watch it once, at Russell’s suggestion, but I just didn’t get on with it or find it entertaining. I know that’s like blaspheming here, but I didn’t think it was any good.
DavPaz wrote:

Oz joins the acappella team with Heather.
Grim... wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Oz joins the acappella team with Heather.

Of course he does. The worst choir in cinematic history
Mimi wrote:
Grim... wrote:

You should watch it.

I did try to watch it once, at Russell’s suggestion, but I just didn’t get on with it or find it entertaining. I know that’s like blaspheming here, but I didn’t think it was any good.

I’ve never been that entertained by it either.

We are all allowed a few films we just don’t get.
Page 1 of 2 [ 70 posts ]