UK trip with kids... august
RMD cities hull-london
Hi guys,I wanted to go on an england trip with the kids this summer, now brexit seems b a bit postponed, i actually dare to make a plan...

My plan is-- boat to hull from rotterdam..(13 /8)
Rent a car in Hull... (driving left... ahem)
Stay at a nice little city for a few days (york?)
Go to a second city (lincoln? or near by.. i try to split the trip in three sort of similar sized distances).. also for a few days..
Drop of car near london (luton?)

Sleep in london

Take train to amsterdam(kids like trains, and since last year there is a direct london - amsterdam (not the other way around yet)..

Any suggestions?
- better cities?
- possible little meetup with one or more od you guys.. (grim lives near luton i remember?)

wil try to book in the next few weeks, so any suggestions are welcome...
York would be an excellent choice if you're going with kids. Very compact historic centre, town walls you can walk around, the Viking centre, and, of course, the wonder of the National Rail Museum.

Naturally, for a third city before reaching London I can heartily recommend Oxford. But then I'm slightly biased.
Hull, followed by Luton. I'm not sure I would recommend that! :D

York is great. Lincoln is nice, but it's basically York Lite, so not sure of the point of doing it straight after.
Cambridge is more "on the way" than Oxford, and they are both the same anyway, so it doesn't matter which you choose. ;)
Ah, have been to camp bridge, albeit 30 years ago, but that might be more different, you're right...

(and i know hull, but that's where the boat ends.. and newcastle is quite bit more up north (and did that boat..)
Forget Lincoln, come to Nottingham instead!
You'll probably pay a lot to hire a car in one place and drop it off somewhere else.
Cras wrote:
You'll probably pay a lot to hire a car in one place and drop it off somewhere else.

I've done it [1], there's typically a hidden surcharge but sometimes not as bad as you think. A lot depends on the hire car company's demand ie. how out of balance this is making their network. Only way to be sure is to get quotes. It's often cheaper to pick up and drop off at airports, to the point where I once went to the effort to drop the car off at the airport and then get an onwards taxi into the town we were visiting [2].

[1] Pick up in Inverness, drop off at Edinburgh.
[2] Edinburgh, again.
Cras wrote:

well that is the disadvantage of making a rond trip i guess, but it is not the bad, https://www.rentalcars.com/SearchResult ... Suppliers=

211 euros/week
Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]