Borderlands 3
HYPE TRAIN
But beautiful
Pundabaya wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Airplane! really wasn't funny though.... in fact the presence of a Leslie Nielsen is almost as good a predictor of something being unfunny as a Will Ferrell or an Adam Sandler. Objective fact there.

I think we should enshrine this somewhere, as the single wrongest post on the entire forum.

Didn’t we have a thread with a bunch of these in it?

Maybe a @Mrdave would remember. Or maybe a @mr dave
Satsuma wrote:
Pundabaya wrote:
MrChris wrote:
Airplane! really wasn't funny though.... in fact the presence of a Leslie Nielsen is almost as good a predictor of something being unfunny as a Will Ferrell or an Adam Sandler. Objective fact there.

I think we should enshrine this somewhere, as the single wrongest post on the entire forum.

Didn’t we have a thread with a bunch of these in it?

Maybe a @Mrdave would remember. Or maybe a @mr dave

The belmingest things thread?
So Borderlands 3: we have ascertained that Mr Chris wouldn't find it funny, as Mr Chris clearly has no sense of humour.
I can hear Brucey channel himself now...

"You were right to go Xbox!"

https://www.bit-tech.net/news/epic-game ... -glitch/1/

No wonder I couldn't find any info.
Mr and Mrs Hearthly got stuck into this last night.

And.......

It's great.

The writing isn't as sharp and crackly as BL2, but it's fine, it made us both laugh and chuckle, Claptrap is in it right from the start, he's well written and acted.

Gameplay wise it's definitely very BL2-esque, although the ability to climb up ledges and containers and suchlike definitely makes traversing the world feel better.

The gunplay is terrific and right from the off the game is chucking a good variety of weapons at you, the very first base has vending machines in it and me and Mrs Hearthly were already finding nice things to buy from them.

The graphics are much improved, the graphical STYLE has remained the same but on a technical level it's far shinier.

Sound and music are fantastic, I loved the music in BL2 and it seems they've done the business here too.

The inventory, quest, talents, weapons etc interface has got a lot of stick in reviews elsewhere but honestly I think it's fine, not amazing to use but an improvement on BL2 IMO.

Our group play worked perfectly, no issues whatsoever with that.

Early impressions best summed up as:

It's more BL2 but a lot shinier with a few welcome quality of life tweaks and enhancements.
I have zero interest in this game but may I just say that the back and forth on the second half of the proceeding page running into this was just gold.

Also Mr Chris, you're clearly wrong. You'll be knocking Top Secret and Police Squad next, ffs. "We're sorry to trouble you at a time like this, Mrs Twice. We would have come sooner, but your husband wasn't dead then.""
Oh yes and all four new classes look like fun, Mrs Hearthly went with the hunter pet class type thing as she really liked the look of it, and I went with the soldier gunner type lass.

It gives you your action ability at Level 2 (compared to Level 5 in BL2), and in my case this is turning into a massive great mech bristling with a chaingun and grenade launchers.

At Level 2.

It's like they looked at the Destinies and Anthems of this world and said, 'Let's make a game that's exactly the opposite of that'.
I'm moze my buddy has the pets. It's a fuckin killer combination really. I also die a lot less than he does haha.
I like this so much I've started a solo playthrough as well, that's pretty much running alongside me and Mrs Hearthly's co-op playthrough.

The more I play the more I'm appreciating just how much better the graphics are than BL2, and how many nips and tucks and tweaks they've made in general to the Borderlands formula to make it, IMO, arguably a superior game to BL2 in many regards.

I'll finish the playthroughs before making a final call as to which is the better game, but honestly folks, if you liked BL2, there's no earthly reason not to jump on board with this and get going.
I'll admit it's not made me laugh that much. That said it's a very serious shooter.

We did get the giggles over the "fart cave" though. Can't say I've noticed many poop jokes either.

But yeah, class game. Bosses are unreal.
This game is the tits.

I got a shotgun that when reloaded, fires a copy of itself into the battlefield, grows a little pair of legs, and then runs after the baddies, shooting at them whilst screaming things like 'I only live to kill!'.

But when the shooting gets serious, it gets really serious, or as serious as it's going to be when you've got a grenade that explodes into a cluster of Butt Stallions and creates an explosion of beautiful rainbows.

Also, on my solo playthrough, my pet has now upgraded itself from an alien style critter running around with a pistol, to an alien style critter running around with a shotgun. It also throws explosive barrels on command.

I think the reviews have done this game a disservice TBH.
Yeah that's funny that one. I had this pistol that fired blue plasma balls. As you fired it heated up, going through purple to red. Then instead of freezing people it set them on fire. It would also overheat, and then you squirt the little one cylinder engine on it with a water pistol to cool it back down lol. It's just nuts how much detail every single gun has.

I had one complaint about the first two, which was the hit and miss weapons. You'd find a good one, then it would get levelled out eventually which led to a lot of dying trying to find something decent and new (and higher in level). In the end my buddy and I cheated and made our own guns.

This one though needs none of that. It really is just more Borderlands with the weapon situation totally sorted. Looking forward to Sunday's sesh :)
JohnCoffey wrote:
It's just nuts how much detail every single gun has.

Yes I've got a Maliwan SMG at the moment that can switch between incendiary and corrosive elements - (alternate fire modes being one of many great additions to the game, one of the pains in BL2 was trying to make sure you had at least one viable weapon for each element in your arsenal at any given time) - the animation and effects when switching between the two elements are sublime.

It could just change an icon on the screen from orange to green or something, or the ammo count could change colour, but instead there's a gorgeous little animation as your character flips the switch on on the gun itself and it ripples from orange to green (or the other way around), and then does a sort of flash along the barrel and on the control switch, with a solid block of colour at the back of the gun which has the ammo count set into it, before settling down to its new element. When zoomed with it the crosshair circle changes colour and there's a superimposed HUD element icon that you'd see if staring down the barrel.

A small detail on a single gun, but the amount of care that's gone into them all is really cool to see.
Page 3 of 3 [ 117 posts ]