Stockpiling food for Brexit

Are you going to stockpile food for Brexit?
I already have  29%  [ 9 ]
I will start soon if things aren't sorted out  25%  [ 8 ]
Nah, I'm not scared  19%  [ 6 ]
Some other choice - post below  25%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 31
Hearthly wrote:
Anyone reconsidering this after last night in the Commons? Or stepping up existing plans?

Imagine actual food shortages in the UK, in peace time, no natural disaster, no malign foreign intervention - but entirely of our own creation.

Someone posted the letter from the food company CEOs/Chairmen warning of empty shelves on Facebook yesterday, with the tagline PROJECT FEAR 2. One person responded 'Aldi isn't on the list so I'll be fine' and someone else posted this:

Attachment:
Screenshot 2019-01-29 at 13.31.50.png

TIL that there are people who think that the UK's decimalisation in 1971 was a result of joining the EC in 1973.
I DID;NT FITE IN TEH BATTLE OF HASTINGS TO LOOSE MY FLORINSES!
Hearthly wrote:
Imagine actual food shortages in the UK, in peace time, no natural disaster, no malign foreign intervention - but entirely of our own creation.

It's really quite an achievement. The utter collapse of a country's economy and government, by the informed and free choice of that country. Well done Britain!
Cras wrote:
TIL that there are people who think that the UK's decimalisation in 1971 was a result of joining the EC in 1973.

The only people who use pounds and ounces are drug dealers. This is the future the poster wants.
Also, there is so much bad historical and political knowledge in that single post to unpick. Where to begin?
Hearthly wrote:
. One person responded 'Aldi isn't on the list so I'll be fine'

Aldi are German.
Kern wrote:
Hearthly wrote:
. One person responded 'Aldi isn't on the list so I'll be fine'

Aldi are German.

They genuinely thought that if they shopped at a store where the chairman/CEO hadn't signed the letter, they'd be OK. (And denounced Sainsbury's as being for 'posh people' anyway so they deserved what they got.)

In fairness someone did respond to point out that Aldi don't have their own channel tunnel or shipping line.
So the CEOs who signed the letter did so purely in order to fuck themselves and their customers over?
I always buy a few extra bits if I'm having a good week for just in case I have a bad week, which obviously as a freelancer has saved my ass on more than one occasion.

Despite never panic buying in my life before, my "just in case" store is now mysteriously taking over our downstairs bathroom.

That said, the only thing I'm truly worried about being unable to get is cat food, because there's only one brand our fussy shithead cats will ALL eat (therefore not requiring storing 6 different types of food) & it's a German cat food I order in via Zooplus.

I've decided that the solution to this problem, if it comes down to it, is that we eat the cats.
MaliA wrote:
Tinned tuna

As cat food? It's too high in mercury to be sustainable, and there's two of mine that don't do tinned fish. :facepalm:
Tuna gives cats severe liver problems.
Lonewolves wrote:

And fishy breath
Lonewolves wrote:

Shit, really?
Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Shit, really?

On its own yes. It’s ok buying cat food with tuna in, obviously. But they get addicted to it and it’s really bad for their livers.
thinking about it, (not the tuna/cat thing, the tuna always came off worse in encounters with my cat), Pot Noodles have got to be - pound for pound - the sustenance of choice for the encroaching apocalypse, if one is worried about overloading their loft with cans.

Question is, is one better off loading up on standard or King Pots?
Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Shit, really?

On its own yes. It’s ok buying cat food with tuna in, obviously. But they get addicted to it and it’s really bad for their livers.

Mine only get it very occasionally as a treat and only ever the stuff that comes in water rather than oil or brine. The Googling I've just done tells me that's pretty safe, though cheers for bringing this to my attention.
Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Shit, really?

You got a source on this? The only thing I've been able to find is that if they eat mostly/only tuna they're missing out on important nutrients that that need - which isn't exactly the same thing.
Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Shit, really?

You got a source on this? The only thing I've been able to find is that if they eat mostly/only tuna they're missing out on important nutrients that that need - which isn't exactly the same thing.

Science time! You need to buy 20 cats and a fuckton of tuna nd some salad. And some pasta. And some boxes
Cras wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:
Bamba wrote:
Lonewolves wrote:

Shit, really?

Mercury poisoning is the other thing it can lead to apparently.
Mercury poisoning has a cumulative effect, so even small amounts regularly have the potential to cause harm. We just decided it’s not worth the risk.
Also years ago I heard about this thing called Steatitis, fatty tissue inflammation that can be caused by “large amounts” of tuna so since I don’t know how much qualifies as a large amount I’d just rather they didn’t have it.
I seem to remember that pregnant women shouldn't eat large quantities of fish either. Probably due to the same thing.
TheVision wrote:
I seem to remember that pregnant women shouldn't eat large quantities of fish either. Probably due to the same thing.

Which same thing? Mercury poisoning? Liver problems? Fish addiction? It feels like you're just propogating half remembered nonsense here.
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

Which same thing? Mercury poisoning? Liver problems? Fish addiction? It feels like you're just propogating half remembered nonsense here.

You are right, I am. But I was referring to the mercury poisoning.

To be honest Bamba, if you ever find yourself pregnant... I wouldn't rely on my advice. I'm not very good at remembering important stuff like that.
TheVision wrote:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

To be honest Bamba, if you ever find yourself pregnant... I wouldn't rely on my advice. I'm not very good at remembering important stuff like that.

I was literally just coming back here to edit my post and chastise myself for being a really harsh dick there, but you got in first. Eh, ignore me dude, I'm being a tit. :kiss:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:
Bamba wrote:
TheVision wrote:

I was literally just coming back here to edit my post and chastise myself for being a really harsh dick there, but you got in first. Eh, ignore me dude, I'm being a tit. :kiss:

Not at all! You did no harm so don't worry. :luv:
And as soon as I get pregnant you're the first person I'll call. Promise!
And it turns out you're totally right about tuna, pregnancy and mercury so fair play dude;

https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questi ... s-of-fish/
And I shall say the same to you as I did my wife when she called me to tell me she was expecting our second... I was silent for a bit and muttered "how.....??!"
Is it Dimrill?
Probably not the former-beexer I would have picked, but I feel that joke has been run into the ground.
The Vision could pass for a relative of Dimrill, to be fair. Same region too...
Zardoz wrote:
Keep watching.

Attachment:
burttank.jpg
DavPaz wrote:

You know they're brothers, right?
Book on what to stockpile (apparently - not read it yet) free on Kindle: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Preparing-Brex ... B07JK75XYT

EDIT: sorry, it seems it's free on Kindle Unlimited, but £1.99 otherwise.

Personally I'm not panicking specifically about food shortages (apart from general panic about Brexit anyway), but it's probably worth preparing for prices of some things to go up rather a lot.
Zardoz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Nah, that's Pupil.
Findus Fop wrote:
thinking about it, (not the tuna/cat thing, the tuna always came off worse in encounters with my cat), Pot Noodles have got to be - pound for pound - the sustenance of choice for the encroaching apocalypse, if one is worried about overloading their loft with cans.

Question is, is one better off loading up on standard or King Pots?

Beef Suet. For sheer calories per kilo, can't beat suet! It might be lacking in a few other nutrients though.
You'd need lot's of precious water for your Pot Noodles.

Suppose you could use piss without impairing the flavour too much.
DavPaz wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Nah, that's Pupil.

Pupil isn't my brother? Is he?!?
TheVision wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Nah, that's Pupil.

Don't forget your sister Iris, Mr Vision.
Findus Fop wrote:
TheVision wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Nah, that's Pupil.

I see what you did there.
TheVision wrote:
Findus Fop wrote:
TheVision wrote:
DavPaz wrote:
Zardoz wrote:
DavPaz wrote:

Nah, that's Pupil.

I see what you did there.

Of course you did.
Nik wrote:
Book on what to stockpile (apparently - not read it yet) free on Kindle: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Preparing-Brex ... B07JK75XYT

EDIT: sorry, it seems it's free on Kindle Unlimited, but £1.99 otherwise.

Personally I'm not panicking specifically about food shortages (apart from general panic about Brexit anyway), but it's probably worth preparing for prices of some things to go up rather a lot.

Reading this book now, and beginning to panic a little. It's a shame Patrick Allen is no longer with us - he'd be perfect for the audio book.

Quote:
If people know you are stockpiling food and then food shortages strike, this will make you a target for firstly requests for help but then potentially theft as people try to secure food supplies for themselves.

Rawson, A. Preparing for Brexit: How to Survive the Food Shortages . Kindle Edition.
I'm assuming they just did a word replace search for y2k/brexit and resubmitted it to Amazon.
Not entirely (there are Brexit-specific details in there), but I think large parts of it would apply to any emergency situation. It's all a bit Protect and Survive.
Quote:
If people know you are stockpiling food and then food shortages strike, this will make you a target for firstly requests for help but then potentially theft as people try to secure food supplies for themselves.

Rawson, A. Preparing for Brexit: How to Survive the Food Shortages . Kindle Edition.

By the way, I'm definitely not storing food. Nope. My garage is empty of all foods. Promise.
It's talking about checking best before dates on tins. Wondering how long this miserable situation is expected to last, and whether we should also stock up on cyanide pills.

I think the lack of panic is because it still doesn't feel real. Life is continuing as normal (or thereabouts) at the moment, so it's hard to make yourself believe the food shortages could hit us at the end of next month. That kind of thing just doesn't happen.

Denial, basically.

:o
Page 3 of 5 [ 247 posts ]